What CPU Heatsink should I use???

midleman

n00b
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
19
My system is as follows; Cooler Master Stacker 830 Evo case with a 1000W Real Power Pro PSU, Q9450, dual 3870's in CF, 4 hard drives in dual RAID, 8 120mm LED fans, Blu-ray player, DVD burner, media card reader with floppy, RAID controller card, 4GB (2x2) DDR2 1066 RAM, Gigabyte X38 Motherboard, HT Omega Claro Plus+ sound card, Logitech WebCam, front panel LCD fan controller, 2 external hard drives, keyboard, mouse, 28" LCD monitor and 42" LCD HDTV.

The following is the list of CPU Heatsinks that I have narrowed it down to.

1) Thermalright Ultra-120 CPU Cooling Heatsink - Retail - $60
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16835109125

2) Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme - cpu-tri-39 - $74
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...&dcaid =17902

3) ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - Retail - $45
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16835118019

4) ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler - Retail - $70
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16835118020

5) Scythe SCINF-1000 120mm CPU Cooler - Retail - $45
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16835185027

6) Scythe SCASM-1000 120mm Sleeve Andy Samurai Master CPU Cooler - Retail - $40
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16835185042

7) Scythe SCORC-1000 140mm CPU Cooler - Retail - $70
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16835185064

8) ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail - $27
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16835186134

9) ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 120mm 2-ball UFO Bearing / Transparent CPU Cooler - Retail - $50
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16835887011
 
Two more to add to that list.

Tuniq Tower - Nice cooler, been around for a while. Performs a tad under the Ultra-120 Extreme. I use this in my current setup.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835154001

Xigmatek HDT S1283 - Some people swear by this. It is pretty cheap. I've seen some pretty varied reviews on it though, so I don't trust it myself.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003

From my research the best air cooler seems to be the Ultra-20 Extreme, however it is pretty expensive. Also, it just comes as a heatsink, so you have to get the fan for it. That puts the retail cost for parts at about $85-90.
 
I don't see a reason to use anything else than TRUE120 when you have a big enough case for it.
 
I just got the Xigmatek to help my OC my e2180.

Right now after a little OCing it's @ 3.2ghz (1.4v in CPUZ) and it's about 20c, 55c max.

It's alright I guess, I expected a little more from it but it was $36 (+ free shipping) and I got it within 30 hours of ordering it so meh.

It's also a real pain in the ass to install and it barely fits in my CM 590. I had to take the upper of the 2 Side panel fans out for it to fit.

But if you look at everything else you can't really beat it for that price.
 
Two more to add to that list.

Tuniq Tower - Nice cooler, been around for a while. Performs a tad under the Ultra-120 Extreme. I use this in my current setup.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835154001

Xigmatek HDT S1283 - Some people swear by this. It is pretty cheap. I've seen some pretty varied reviews on it though, so I don't trust it myself.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003

From my research the best air cooler seems to be the Ultra-20 Extreme, however it is pretty expensive. Also, it just comes as a heatsink, so you have to get the fan for it. That puts the retail cost for parts at about $85-90.

I actually have the Tuniq Tower in my list as well, I just forgot to add it on here and at one point in time I even had the Xigmatek too but I ended up removing that one b/c of all the mixed reviews. The Ultra-120 Extreme does seem to be the best one to go with based on what I have been hearing and it is also the most expensive. Guess they are correct when they say you will get what you pay for.
 
Those of you who vote the TRUE, I'm assuming that the Stacker 830 Evo is a big enough case for it....
 
Those of you who vote the TRUE, I'm assuming that the Stacker 830 Evo is a big enough case for it....

You may have to remove one of the side fans (if you're using any), but it will fit in the Stacker. The Xigmatek, which should be your second choice, is just about the same height as well.
 
I got the Artic Freezer 7 Pro, 23C idle and 43C load, E2180 @ 2.56ghz stock vcore, don't need to push it further until I do anything more than browsing the web.
 
I have a noctua nh-u12p that you can get from heatsinkfactory. Keeps my q6600 clocked to 3.0ghz at 27,26,32,26 idle and low 40s on load. It it setup as push-pull, with a scythe ultra kaze 2000rpm doing the pushing and the noctua fan doing the pulling.
 
If you're still looking, I would also suggest the Thermalright Ultima90. It's a good bit smaller than the TRUE but cools at least as well as the Tuniq Tower. I have a 120mm fan on my Ultima90 rather than a 92mm fan, though. I have all three of these heatsinks running on overclocked quads right now and you really can't go wrong with them. The quads range from 3.51Ghz to 3.6Ghz and the vcore after vdroop is 1.42-1.44. They also run 24/7 with F@H so my temps are constantly maxed and normally don't go above 63-65C on the hottest core. The hottest temps are also with an ambient temp of 85F. Normally the temps stay at or below 60C.

 
Will the Tuniq Tower or TRUE fit my Lian-Li PC-V1000B Plus II? I've only ever relied on stock cooling but want to get a better OC out of my E6400.
 
The Ultima-90 is one of the best values, particularly if you already have a spare fan to use with it, though the NV120 has gone down to $40 after MIR at times (on Newegg even, they never seem to have carried the Ultima-90, just the lesser Ultra-90). From the sound of your system specs it doesn't look like you're looking for a great value necessarily though (dunno why the Freezer 7 Pro even made the list) so I'd likely just go w/the TRUE.
 
Back
Top