What bit of hardware could be causing this?

HeZa89

[H]ard|Gawd
OK ive posted a few posts about this here already, but I cant seem to find anything that works.

I recently built a new computer.

Albatron KM18G Pro motherboard (which has a GeForce 4 MX onboard video)
Seagate 80Gb HDD
AMD Duron 1.8Ghz
512Mb Corsair DDR RAM

I ordered a video card, a Gigabyte GA-R9200 128mb DDr, and it hasnt come in yet, so it isnt the comp.

Whenever I open a video file, the file will run for around 10-15 seconds, but have flickers on it, and then it will BSOD. It will say either

"BAD_POOL_CALLER"
"PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"
"IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

or it will give a BSOD with a win2k.sys error

My old comp screwed up, because I put a dvd drive without the top on it on the open computer and it static'd all the shit inside there. I have the burner from the old comp in the new comp, and that works fine, and I put the old HDD as a slave and retrieved as much as I could off there, but when I got into it it would restart as I was trying to retrieve certain files.

And also, when I try to open some install files (like winxp service pack 1) , or a prog to make the 6 XP boot disks, it says "Cannot open file. Files corrupt " or osmething like that, on both of them.

What could be the problem? I ran memtest86 about 4 times through and it came up with no errors, and I ran chkdsk and it couldnt find any errors at all

Please I hope somebody could help, this is really annoying

Originally posted by Talonz
Have you updated your chipset drivers?
yeah I installed the display drivers off the CD that came with the motherboard, and then I went to nividias website and downloaded the latest drivers

It doesn't really sound like a heat problem, but have you checked your temps to make sure something isn't running too hot?

Also, check the voltages on the PSU, especially when it's under load. Getting that many different errors sounds like it could be a bad PSU.

You didn't say whether you have anything overclocked or not, so I'm assuming you don't. But if you do, drop it back to stock speeds.

Remove the old burner and hard drive and run the system as you were. Obviously, you can't do anything that would require the use of a CDROM but that should be okay for now. If you have no problems, then you have probably found the culprit. Either the old hard drive or burner or both are bad or not setup correctly. Check jumper settings and the IDE cables. You may have a bad cable that needs to be replaced.

Hope some of this helps.

I think I just figured out what the problem is

I took the mobo out, and took the heatsink off and as I was about to reseat it, I saw on the CPU that where it says "LI" and "L2" ... where it says LI it is fine, but where it says LII it is burnt out

would that be the cause? (burnt out L2 Cache)

Originally posted by HeZa89
I think I just figured out what the problem is

I took the mobo out, and took the heatsink off and as I was about to reseat it, I saw on the CPU that where it says "LI" and "L2" ... where it says LI it is fine, but where it says LII it is burnt out

would that be the cause? (burnt out L2 Cache)

No, bro...

when AMD builds the CPU, they use a laser on the various "bridges" on top of the CPU to break them. This tells the motherbpard what CPU it is, and what multiplier, voltage, etc. it should have. THIS IS NORMAL.

The L2 cache (and L1 cache) is actually on the chip itself... if it was "broken" it is unlikely the chip would work. :)

Hope this helps!

-Skystalker

Originally posted by Skystalker
No, bro...

when AMD builds the CPU, they use a laser on the various "bridges" on top of the CPU to break them. This tells the motherbpard what CPU it is, and what multiplier, voltage, etc. it should have. THIS IS NORMAL.

The L2 cache (and L1 cache) is actually on the chip itself... if it was "broken" it is unlikely the chip would work. :)

Hope this helps!

-Skystalker

I agree. The best thing to do is wait for your video card. When it comes put it in and run it. if it runs the same as it did before its basically a test and error process. replace everything one at a time and see which one fixes the problem. remember only replace one thing at a time or it will be a f***ing bitch to find out the problem. tryal and error.

Back