Well i think im done with Corsair Memory

German Muscle

Supreme [H]ardness
Up until no every computer i have designed and built for people has been 100% perfect with no failures. Corsair changed that for me. I built 2 computers earlier in 2013 and both had bad memory modules. The first one was my room mates computer had 1 of the 2 sticks go bad. This computer i built for a business had over 400 errors by 45% on memtest and it was over both modules.

I think im going to switch to Kingston HyperX on builds now.

I could RMA it but being that this particular line of memory from them has had a 100% failure rate along with this being a business machine it needs to be fixed quickly and it needs to not have anymore problems.

I think we are in an odd time of the pc world where a lot of the brands we used to consider top notch are going lame, a lot of them are branching out into other markets and of course their traditional product lines are suffering.

I think we are in an odd time of the pc world where a lot of the brands we used to consider top notch are going lame, a lot of them are branching out into other markets and of course their traditional product lines are suffering.
Ding ding ding.

Take EVGA for example, they used to be good. Then they started releasing power supplies which are trash. They dont even make them, they contract another company and put their logo on it.
Same with Corsair. They are releasing so many components now and majority of it is not even made by them. Quality sucks (their cases especially)
Its the new hip thing to do, is to sell your logo to another company and collect royalties off each sale.

I have been using GSkill for the last 9 years without a single issue.

They dont even make them, they contract another company and put their logo on it.
Just a FYI, virtually every PSU company does this with the exception of Seasonic and Enermax I think. You could go back ten years and still see the same situation. So this isn't a valid criticism if it's industry standard and a commonly accepted practice.

If there's anything to criticize, it's the standards of the PSU companies themselves, not their practice of using outside manufacturers. PSU manufacturers will only build to the PSU company's specifications. So if the specs are bad, the PSU will be bad. If the specs are good, then the PSU will be good. Hell even though many of Enermax's PSUs are made in-house, some of them are very crappy. So build a PSU in-house doesn't automatically mean that it will be good or better than an outsourced PSU.

I would hardly call your sample size large enough.

Agreed. Though I've had mixed luck with Corsair modules on some ASUS motherboards but I'm not sure if that's an ASUS or Corsair issue. The P8Z77-I Deluxe is one example. The Rampage IV Extreme is another. Neither would work with certain Corsair part numbers as the SPD timings weren't being read and set properly. I notified ASUS about the issue and never heard anything more other than they'd look into it. They couldn't say if it was their problem or Corsair's either. I'm uncertain if anything more came of that report.

Maybe I have just been lucky. I have used Corsair, Crucial, Kingston, Mushkin, no-name, etc RAM and never had a problem with a single stick.

Maybe I have just been lucky. I have used Corsair, Crucial, Kingston, Mushkin, no-name, etc RAM and never had a problem with a single stick.

I've rarely ever had memory failures, but occasionally I do see compatibility problems. Sometimes you can resolve them with manual settings sometimes you can't.

In 15+ years of using Corsair, G Skill, Patriot, Team, Kingston, Samsung and generic modules.... I have only experienced a single failure. That was crucial ballistix tracers in the ddr2 variety. The chances of two failures are rare without other issues going on.

I could RMA it but being that this particular line of memory from them has had a 100% failure rate along with this being a business machine it needs to be fixed quickly and it needs to not have anymore problems.

How many thousand modules are we talking here? I mean statistically you need a much larger sample size than just a few.

I would hardly call your sample size large enough.

My sample size is for a specific series and model of ram. Not all ram. Its large enough that for me as a builder to switch to kingston to ensure that my builds dont have memory problems.

I'd say you've been very, very lucky because I've averaged 10% duds with anything having no-name chips (not Samsung, Micron, Hynix, etc.) or heatsinks. This is with 700+ modules.

The chances of two failures are rare without other issues going on.
With name brand, non-overclocked chips, yes, but for the other type, a few times I've had 3 sets of duds in a row.

I'd say you've been very, very lucky because I've averaged 10% duds with anything having no-name chips (not Samsung, Micron, Hynix, etc.) or heatsinks. This is with 700+ modules.

I would say you are probably right. I've only been building for a couple years, and in the 30ish systems I have built for myself and family/friends I have only ever had one defective part, an Avermedia Duet TV Tuner card.

With name brand, non-overclocked chips, yes, but for the other type, a few times I've had 3 sets of duds in a row.

You do realize there are not that many memory module manufacturers right? ;)

I used to be a system builder and still help out with someone who is from time to time.
I have seen ram fail with every brand of ram out there. Overall it is better than it used to be.
Talking about Corsair. their cheap stuff seems to be slightly more reliable than the expensive stuff lately. Its the gamer builds that are seeing errors the most and more doa or ram errors out of the box..

I used to be a system builder and still help out with someone who is from time to time.
I have seen ram fail with every brand of ram out there. Overall it is better than it used to be.
Talking about Corsair. their cheap stuff seems to be slightly more reliable than the expensive stuff lately. Its the gamer builds that are seeing errors the most and more doa or ram errors out of the box..

oddly enough the cheap stuff is what i had the problems with.

Yup. Not sure what source you're using but Puget Systems published their list of reliable hardware of 2013 last month. It showed their Kingston RAM having the lowest failure rates:
http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Most-Reliable-Hardware-of-2013-528/

Interesting. I had a very good laugh with this in particular:

Out of the six Western Digital product lines we currently offer (Black, Green, Blue, Red, Velociraptor and RE), there are only two lines with absolutely no failures in 2013. The Western Digital Green line makes sense as they are designed for low power and thus create less heat.

WD Greens the most realiable HDDs? :D :D:D I 've already thrown 2 in the garbage bin here, in less than 1 year.

P.S.: Coincidentally, the only RAM module that ever failed on me, was a Kingston HyperX DDR2 800Mhz...

Last edited:
Another list of returns

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/911-4/memoires.html

- Kingston 0,20% (contre 0,20%)
- Crucial 0,46% (contre 0,39%)
- G.Skill 0,90% (contre 0,95%)
- Corsair 1,08% (contre 1,18%).

Top most returned products (RAM):

- 4,41% Corsair XMS 4 Go (2x2) DDR3 1333 CL9
- 4,14% Corsair XMS3 8 Go (2x4) DDR3 1333 CL9
- 3,63% Corsair Value Select 8 Go DDR3 1333 CL9
- 2,73% Corsair Mac Memory SO-DIMM 8 Go (2x4) DDR3 1066 CL7
- 2,67% Corsair Vengeance SO-DIMM 16 Go (2x8) DDR3 1600 CL10

All Corsair. I think the OP is on to something ;)

-----------------------

The last report also had all Corsair.

- 4,92% : Corsair Vengeance 16 Go (4x4) DDR3 1600 CL9
- 4,46% : Corsair Vengeance LP Black 16 Go (4x4) DDR3 1600 CL9
- 4,35% : Corsair Vengeance LP Blue 16 Go (4x4) DDR3 1600 CL9
- 3,46% : Corsair XM3 8 Go (2x4) DDR3 1333 CL9
- 3,31% : Corsair XM3 16 Go (2x8) DDR3 1600 CL11

Interesting. I had a very good laugh with this in particular:

WD Greens the most realiable HDDs? :D :D:D I 've already thrown 2 in the garbage bin here, in less than 1 year.

P.S.: Coincidentally, the only RAM module that ever failed on me, was a Kingston HyperX DDR2 800Mhz...
Ive had problems out of the blues/greens myself. Yet to have any issues with the blacks.
You'll need a source before you start providing blanket statements like that.

take a look around......

Hmm. Its interesting to see the failures listed for Corsair in those lists are from standard ram speeds. I would expect to see problems with overclocked ram but not so much on JEDEC standard ram.

That's a bummer. I have used Corsair ram exclusively for over 13 years in my personal rigs because they were the leader in quality/performance. Next rig I build I guess i'll have to look elsewhere

That's a bummer. I have used Corsair ram exclusively for over 13 years in my personal rigs because they were the leader in quality/performance. Next rig I build I guess i'll have to look elsewhere

same here. Any of the rigs ive built with the vengaence or dominator modules have been fine. I still like the dominator series of memory from them but usually its to high end for most builds. I just cant count on their cheaper memory it seems.

Its been statistically proven that Kingston usually has the highest success rate.
How much higher than Samsung or no-heatsink Crucial?

I have to admit that Kingston got a lot, lot more reliable, starting with DDR2. OTOH I never had Corsair fail until DDR2.

I just RMAd these. I looked at the previous memory i had to RMA and the previous time it was this part number: CMV8GX3M2A1333C9

Another list of returns

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/911-4/memoires.html

Top most returned products (RAM):

All Corsair. I think the OP is on to something ;)

-----------------------

The last report also had all Corsair.

Phew... I think my dominators are safe.
Hehe, I may go the Kingston route if I ever need ram in the future.
My old HyperX kit may have never run at their rated 2000Mhz though they got drenched in coolant and are still in an 3850 rig somewhere, haha.

Phew... I think my dominators are safe.
Hehe, I may go the Kingston route if I ever need ram in the future.
My old HyperX kit may have never run at their rated 2000Mhz though they got drenched in coolant and are still in an 3850 rig somewhere, haha.

my dominators are great. Always had good luck with them and i still run them in my personal rig. Generally most of the people i build for are to cheap for memory like that.

I just RMAd these. I looked at the previous memory i had to RMA and the previous time it was this part number: CMV8GX3M2A1333C9
No-name chips, i.e., chips with the Corsair ship logo on them?

1-2 years ago, I had to buy a lot of DDR PC3200 for Pentium4 Dells and decided to get 1GB Corsair ValueSelect. All their SPDs said the timing was 3-4-4-8, the labels said 3-3-3-8. ~30% dud rate.

No-name chips, i.e., chips with the Corsair ship logo on them?

1-2 years ago, I had to buy a lot of DDR PC3200 for Pentium4 Dells and decided to get 1GB Corsair ValueSelect. All their SPDs said the timing was 3-4-4-8, the labels said 3-3-3-8. ~30% dud rate.

The sticker is covering the chips.

Back