well as soon as my motherboard shows up..building my 1st amd system since 2003~

atarione

2[H]4U
I have had AMD rigs in the past, last one was built in 2004~ or so. Everything since has been intel.. in fairness I haven't build a rig in awhile... I've swapped parts and reinstalled os and whatever and got new drives.. but not really a proper build since 2014~

got combo deals (hence all the SP stuff .. not a sponsored build lol... hopefully SP stuff is decent.. reviews seemed ok) anyways I am waiting on Asus ROG Strix B-450F and I guess an adapter for my cryorig H5 for AM4. Reusing for now, case NZXT H630 (which is way too big.. but at the time in 2014 not a lot of cases had the white and black look I wanted). a Seasonic X750 PSU and RX580 Black Edition. I wanted to wait for the next ryzen but it is my birthday and my wife's computer ate it, So I'm building this and giving her my i7-4770k I guess. Kinda excited to build a AMD rig again..

well thanx to somebrains :: I'm no longer waiting on the Strix B450 board... I cancelled it and ordered a Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite instead... hopefully it will be here Thurs~ according to amazon.

20200810_122232.jpg

I'll be curious to see how this compares to my 4770K .. gotta wait till Thursday (hopefully) for motherboard to show up however.

Last edited:
Nice, I'm waiting on my MB to come back from RMA... Bought a 3700x about a month ago now, lol. Congrats though, I'm sure you'll notice a difference in some things, others that were already fast you may not notice to much. What GPU do you have?

Nice, I'm waiting on my MB to come back from RMA... Bought a 3700x about a month ago now, lol. Congrats though, I'm sure you'll notice a difference in some things, others that were already fast you may not notice to much. What GPU do you have?

See now that part he did mention :-P

The video card is a RX580 Black Edition .. I got awhile ago when my wife's ancient hd6870 (i think?) died... and she got my HD7950... I'm hoping some stuff is faster indeed... mostly I had to do something because the old i5-2500k system she uses ate it.. (motherboard I think**) .

Obviously somewhat provisionally depending on the state of the end of the world .. we are doing this now with the understanding the wife will probably get this system next year and I'll upgrade to something faster /newer next year with a new video card and whatever. ... but it does of course assume not getting ****ed by the end of the world in the mean time.

hopefully SP stuff is decent..
my ssd seems fine so far.
re gpu; you might see a bit of a perf increase in max fps but min should come up a fair bit. your 4770 was probably already able to drive that gpu close to its full max fps potential.

I have had AMD rigs in the past, last one was built in 2004~ or so. Everything since has been intel.. in fairness I haven't build a rig in awhile... I've swapped parts and reinstalled os and whatever and got new drives.. but not really a proper build since 2014~

got combo deals (hence all the SP stuff .. not a sponsored build lol... hopefully SP stuff is decent.. reviews seemed ok) anyways I am waiting on Asus ROG Strix B-450F and I guess an adapter for my cryorig H5 for AM4. Reusing for now, case NZXT H630 (which is way too big.. but at the time in 2014 not a lot of cases had the white and black look I wanted). a Seasonic X750 PSU and RX580 Black Edition. I wanted to wait for the next ryzen but it is my birthday and my wife's computer ate it, So I'm building this and giving her my i7-4770k I guess. Kinda excited to build a AMD rig again..

I'll be curious to see how this compares to my 4770K .. gotta wait till Thursday (hopefully) for motherboard to show up however.

Grats on the transition. I'm gonna save you a ton of time with this link. Speed thru it, focus on the hwinfo part. Don't freak out about high voltages, etc etc. We should have a central place or faq to hold all the info about Ryzen... someday.

How can I get the most out of my 3700x? | [H]ard|Forum

I'd consider returning the B450 board and look at B550 Tomahawk or X570 Prime for more than 8c future upgrade OR your workflows would benefit from +2 nvme drives.

I'd consider returning the B450 board and look at B550 Tomahawk or X570 Prime for more than 8c future upgrade OR your workflows would benefit from +2 nvme drives.

my wife made disgruntled face... but I have cancelled the B450 order (hadn't shipped yet) .. and ordered a Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite

it was $159.99 vs $129.99 for the B450 .. probably worth it for the flexiblity... who knows maybe I'll sell the 3600 and get a new 4000 ryzen in a few months? ... I'm dumb I should have just ordered the B550 to start with.. oh well..

my wife made disgruntled face... but I have cancelled the B450 order (hadn't shipped yet) .. and ordered a Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite

it was $159.99 vs $129.99 for the B450 .. probably worth it for the flexiblity... who knows maybe I'll sell the 3600 and get a new 4000 ryzen in a few months? ... I'm dumb I should have just ordered the B550 to start with.. oh well..

Solid choice.

Better than years from now deciding to go all in on maxing out that build with a 16+ core, or whatever is the end of the road for AM4, and finding your b450 board stopped short in capability like 890gx vs 990fx.

Generational tests like this one make me a little nervous I’d built that many b450 tomahawk 1st PCs for my buddy’s kids.
In future they’ll want zippy 4c and 6c gaming upgrades, preferably only gpu upgrades, hopefully.

6FC8DCC4-D6D5-449C-9A82-28862323D56D.png

Last edited:
Yup good decision on the 550. Better future for it although the 450 boards are not without merit. My wife has B450 Tomahawk and 3600X and it's a little hot rod. Boost clocks all threads hang around 4.3 with stock cooler. I'm like total refurb cost me 320 bux without memory. :)

Yup good decision on the 550. Better future for it although the 450 boards are not without merit. My wife has B450 Tomahawk and 3600X and it's a little hot rod. Boost clocks all threads hang around 4.3 with stock cooler. I'm like total refurb cost me 320 bux without memory. :)

I thin it is ok~ price wise even with the MB change to the 550 board it was $480~ (plus tax) for the CPU / motherboard / 16GB ram and a 1TB NVMe SSD..

getting impatient waiting on motherboard however.. it has been 1 day... I'm not a patient man apparently. =p

Been 6 years since the last build, so a few days are nothing.

I build my buddy's kids PCs just to lay my hands on hardware on the regular.

I suppose it is fine.. couldn't really build it right now (stupid work....sigh) but now all I need is the motherboard, just got the AM4 upgrade kit for my cooler... It looks like Amazon shipped the motherboard.. excellent.
20200813_104622.jpg

Noctua still provides free kits for compatible coolers.
Socket adaptation was never available, like TR to anything else, or Intel hedt to consumer.

I liked the H7 I had, 3c or so better than the 212.
3c+ diff under load for an air cooler is a tipping pt in my book.
Quieter than a 212 at comparable temps gaming by far.
It’s squat, so it actually fits a size able light of cases compared to my u14s

That chart shows why I bought B550m Mortar .. but the B550m Bazooka was just as good .

sigh... in fairness I should have paid more attention... I wouldn't have bought this Aorus B550 in retrospect... I would have got the MSI Tomhawk or something else.. this board aorus elite has 4 SATA ports... I need 5 ports... fantastic.. never occurred to me there would only be 4 SATA ports.. but meh.. not super thrilled but I guess I will have to use a SATA card...

Is this a Gigabyte thing or is this common with AMD boards??... a cpu advanced option SVM is disabled by default which caused me some aggravation trying to install hyper-v on this thing...

On the upside system is up / running and seems super stable so far.. ran memtest overnight everything looked fine... so back to work.. I don't have time to mess about returning this and swapping with a different board, I guess I will live with the 4 SATA ports.

Guess they have to do something to give people a reason to pay more. Not sure, seems lower end/cheaper boards have 4 and higher ends 6 in general, but there are exceptions. Example, MSI mpg gaming is $130 on new egg and has 6 SATA. I would have thought a mid/high end aurus elite should have come with 6, but I guess not. Good to know for future though.

Most boards I've used (Intel included) disable virtualization by default. At least it's running well!

Guess they have to do something to give people a reason to pay more. Not sure, seems lower end/cheaper boards have 4 and higher ends 6 in general, but there are exceptions. Example, MSI mpg gaming is $130 on new egg and has 6 SATA. I would have thought a mid/high end aurus elite should have come with 6, but I guess not. Good to know for future though.

Most boards I've used (Intel included) disable virtualization by default. At least it's running well!

lol... with hyper-v setting enabled you can't launch the Ryzen Master application.. hahahaha.. that is stupid... intel XTU will launch with damn VT-d turned on... sigh.. oh well..

I guess it is more a hyper-v / Ryzen Master problem than a bios setting issue..but still you can run XTU with hyper-v installed.. this is kind of annoying..
ryzenmaster.png

Last edited:
lol... with hyper-v setting enabled you can't launch the Ryzen Master application.. hahahaha.. that is stupid... intel XTU will launch with damn VT-d turned on... sigh.. oh well..

I guess it is more a hyper-v / Ryzen Master problem than a bios setting issue..but still you can run XTU with hyper-v installed.. this is kind of annoying..
View attachment 271274
Haven't heard of that, I guess they figure if you're running VMs you shouldn't be overclocking? Lol, no clue, seems crappy though.

Haven't heard of that, I guess they figure if you're running VMs you shouldn't be overclocking? Lol, no clue, seems crappy though.
It's a known issue, I forget the reasoning. That being said, I prefer to tweak in the bios anyway.

Back