Weird feelings

AlexConnor

n00b
Hi, I'm a comic artist and I spend a lot of time drawing on the PC. Well, I bought this pre-assembled computer which is incredible in performance(3060ti, 5600 x, 32 ram) , BUT as soon as I turn it on I immediately start to feel a strange slight sensation, numb legs, chemical smell, tense nerves everywhere and in general I feel my body temperature rise, these symptoms prevent me from work at my best. I state that I have 3 PCs at home and these sensations only come with the new PC, much more powerful than the others, the sensation disappears as soon as I turn off the PC, I've done several tests. I don't know anything about electronics so I'm here to ask you if it could be due to overheating of some component, an electrical leak or I don't know what.

Is there a nuclear reactor powering your new PC? I'm no expert, but it could be some kind of ionizing radiation that's flowing through your body. Might want to get it checked out by the Geek Squad, it's the only way to be sure.

I've read several reports of people with ungrounded laptops getting shocks from touching the touchpad and stuff. Something like that could be going on here, but the symptoms seem a bit more than expected for that.

Where do you live? Country/state, apartment/house, etc. Are your outlets properly grounded, do you have a grounded cable from the power supply to the wall? Does it feel worse/better if you touch the computer while it's on/off?

Does it only happen if you're sitting at the computer, or anywhere in the room?

Do you have anyone else in your life who can sit at the computer and tell you if it feels weird for them too?

Can that person help you setup a more blind test, line up all your PCs, turn some on at random, you say if you feel icky, turn on another set, etc. Best if you've got a blindfold, facing away from the computers, and with ear muffs on so you don't see or hear anything.

Gonna need to know who the manufacturer is to know whether or not it's power supply is ATX12V, ATX 3.0, or powered by a child's soul.
htip_back_to_future_mr_fusion_replica.jpg

Build your own PC...don't be like OP...

I doubt this is serious...but maybe try turning off wifi, blutooth, and anything else wireless to see if that makes any difference. And what toast0 above said...

If this is really happening though I'd return that PC immediately rather than take any health risk. If there is a chemical smell that is bad mmmkay.

you might just be reacting to the new pc chemical smell. try moving it further away from you if possible and on the ground if its on your desk.

you might just be reacting to the new pc chemical smell. try moving it further away from you if possible and on the ground if its on your desk.
This. My new projector made me feel off for a while. Took 2 weeks of use before I could stand it. Try to run it in an open air room while running some sort of benchmark software to hopefully gas-off possibly.
Otherwise there are so many sub-par products these days that don't meet any sort of standards. Anyone remember real RF shielding back in the day. But now? Go ahead and press that $100 Chinese phone to your ear for hours, then stick it your pants!

Hi, I'm a comic artist and I spend a lot of time drawing on the PC. Well, I bought this pre-assembled computer which is incredible in performance(3060ti, 5600 x, 32 ram) , BUT as soon as I turn it on I immediately start to feel a strange slight sensation, numb legs, chemical smell, tense nerves everywhere and in general I feel my body temperature rise, these symptoms prevent me from work at my best. I state that I have 3 PCs at home and these sensations only come with the new PC, much more powerful than the others, the sensation disappears as soon as I turn off the PC, I've done several tests. I don't know anything about electronics so I'm here to ask you if it could be due to overheating of some component, an electrical leak or I don't know what.
Certain things can really bother people. Coil-whine for one. Some people do not detect it because of their hearing spectrum but have a sensitivity none the less. Another is certain cheap blue-tooth hardware. Try to disable and see.

My wife and I have a saying when we open up new products. "smells like china". we try to avoid that if at all possible.

Certain things can really bother people. Coil-whine for one. Some people do not detect it because of their hearing spectrum but have a sensitivity none the less. Another is certain cheap blue-tooth hardware. Try to disable and see.
This.
I've built several hundred machines for clients, and out of all of them, I've had 2 people complain about a feeling that made them sick to their stomach anytime it was on.
Both of these builds had aio's in them (H50-H65).

I returned to the 1st client's house to see what was causing the mysterious "sickness", and the rig felt and acted normal to me, just as it was the day I built it. So I brought the Pc home and hooked it up to see if it was her outlets or peripherals that was causing it, nothing, nada, zilch.

So I had my wife, daughter and son come in, one at a time to see if it did anything to them. My wife and my son had no issue with it, but my daughter said she started feeling woozy as soon as I turned it on and started later complaining of a headache.

I basically tore it down and tried different components to weed out the offending hardware, and it turned out to be coil whine coming from the pump head of the aio at such a pitch, that I could unplug it and plug it back in and it would drive my daughter crazy clear across the house!

I stuck a normal hsf on it and brought it back to her and she was fine. The second client was a few years later and had the same problem. I grabbed an hsf and replaced it at her house with instant success.

Now after building anything with an aio, I have my daughter feel it out for me first!

A lot of sounds can cause great distress in humans and some are more susceptible than others. As for the smell? Burning new Pc smell??

Last edited:
This.
I've built several hundred machines for clients, and out of all of them, I've had 2 people complain about a feeling that made them sick to their stomach anytime it was on.
Both of these builds had aio's in them (H50-H65).

I returned to the client's house to see what was causing the mysterious "sickness", and the rig was normal to me, just as it was the day I built it. So I brought the Pc home and hooked it up to see if it was her outlets or peripherals that was causing it, nothing, nada, zilch.

So I had my wife, daughter and son come in, one at a time to see if it did anything to them. My wife and my son had no issue with it, but my daughter said she started feeling woozy as soon as I turned it on and started later complaining of a headache.

I basically tore it down and tried different components to weed out the offending hardware, and it turned out to be coil whine at such a pitch, that I could unplug it and plug it back in and it would drive my daughter crazy clear across the house!

I stuck a normal hsf on it and brought it back to her and she was fine. The second client was a few years later and had the same problem. I grabbed an hsf and replaced it at her house with instant success.

Now after building anything with an aio, I have my daughter feel it out first!

A lot of sounds can cause great distress in humans and some are more susceptible than others. As for the smell? Burning new Pc smell??
Sadly my PC is cooled with hsf, the smell is not burning, just something chemical that i can't recognize( never smelled something similar ).
I think the only way to know which component cause my problem is to change each component at time, tryin to figure it out.

Sadly my PC is cooled with hsf, the smell is not burning, just something chemical that i can't recognize( never smelled something similar ).
I think the only way to know which component cause my problem is to change each component at time, tryin to figure it out.
A heated plastic gas-off doesn't have to smell burning. And other things such as a GPU can have coil whine.
Good luck with tracking it down.
Disappointed so many in this thread took it as an opportunity to mock you.

Put on a pair of heating protection and work on it.if you can now go for a long time it's a harmonic buzzing.
You didn't state your age.
Generally if you are under 30 you can still hear an ultrasonic buzz that can make you nauseous.
If that is the case, go to the hardware store and pick up some silicone and start looking for things that vibrate in your case. If it's the fans , change them or undervolt them.
This stops when you turn it off? If it's rather immediate it's vibrational buzzing.
There are many guides online to make a PC quieter

Oh and welcome to the hardforum!

Also if it's not the sound, it's likely off gassing of new hardware plastics. If that is the case, take it outside and open the case (not a rainy day) open the case to bright sunlight and put a box fan to flow directly on the case to blow off the VOCs along with sunlight. This will take about 2-4 hours and you are done.

then its all the chinesium in it. do the above(griff).

Reactions: t1k
like this
A heated plastic gas-off doesn't have to smell burning. And other things such as a GPU can have coil whine.
Good luck with tracking it down.
Disappointed so many in this thread took it as an opportunity to mock you.
Disappointed that you took anything on here so seriously :p

Oh and welcome to the hardforum!

Also if it's not the sound, it's likely off gassing of new hardware plastics. If that is the case, take it outside and open the case (not a rainy day) open the case to bright sunlight and put a box fan to flow directly on the case to blow off the VOCs along with sunlight. This will take about 2-4 hours and you are done.
This sounds like a good plan. I've never encountered this issue with PC hardware before, but it sounds plausible -- especially if the area you are working in isn't well-ventilated.

Look legit 😏

I've read several reports of people with ungrounded laptops getting shocks from touching the touchpad and stuff. Something like that could be going on here, but the symptoms seem a bit more than expected for that.

Where do you live? Country/state, apartment/house, etc. Are your outlets properly grounded, do you have a grounded cable from the power supply to the wall? Does it feel worse/better if you touch the computer while it's on/off?

Does it only happen if you're sitting at the computer, or anywhere in the room?

Do you have anyone else in your life who can sit at the computer and tell you if it feels weird for them too?

Can that person help you setup a more blind test, line up all your PCs, turn some on at random, you say if you feel icky, turn on another set, etc. Best if you've got a blindfold, facing away from the computers, and with ear muffs on so you don't see or hear anything.

I get shocked if I touch usb ports on my laptop when its plugged into certain outlets. I get none of the other stuff though.

I must say it sounds to me like OP may soon have either the power of telepathy or perhaps may be a burgeoning necromancer- they're both pretty sensitive to electromagnetic fields.
;)

Wow, I have always been ok, but wife and kids can be sensitive to certain things. Will have to keep this one in mind.

Honestly it sounds like a panic attack. Pointing fingers at the computer might just make sense because maybe you put this on a credit card or hid the purchase from a significant other and feeling bothered by it when you turn it on. Or maybe you are just writing a test plot for a new comic lol

Both ultra and infrasonic frequencies can definately cause issues. I'm curious if it's this or chemical related.

Great now I am having PTSD from the super smelly (perfume smell) motherboard amazon sent me... which caused me to have an asthma attack and I had to seal it in a giant zip lock bag in order to take it back to the UPS store to send it back to amazon.... It was the weirdest thing that I have ever encountered building a PC. I ended up risking Newegg's BULLSH*T to order a replacement motherboard as I was afraid amazon would sent me another contaminated one that would send me to the ER.

There are hardware hacks where malevolent people tune fans (gpu, cpu, case) to create micro vibrations which cause people to develop strange symptoms.
Especially if you're over 30. I suspect you'll soon turn into a mind flayer.

Back