Websites that have gone downhill

Status
Not open for further replies.

fps4ever

[H]ard|Gawd
Not sure where to put this topic so I slapped it in here. I just visited the gaming website Voodoo Extreme (VE3D) for the last time today. It used to be an awesome website when Billy (Wicked) Wilson ran it but has taken a serious shit ever sine being bought out by IGN. The last year or so the operators were mostly girls (cough), and started posting less and less news. What a pathetic end to a great website. :(

Not sure where to put this topic so I slapped it in here. I just visited the gaming website Voodoo Extreme (VE3D) for the last time today. It used to be an awesome website when Billy (Wicked) Wilson ran it but has taken a serious shit ever sine being bought out by IGN. The last year or so the operators were mostly girls (cough), and started posting less and less news. What a pathetic end to a great website. :(

Accually IGN is not going to host ve3d.com anymore. Thats why it went downhill. (IGN pulled the plug basically)

And yes the women running it ruined it (iv been a ve3d follower since my 3dfx voodoo1 days).

RIP voodooextreme

shacknews.com

used to be my favorite site for pc gaming news but they sold out and post mostly useless junk.

Gamespot used to be pretty good till all the good reviewers left/got canned. I also don't care for the rounded-off review scores.

Lycos went down the crapper, man! Same with hotbot and altavista. Excite no longer excites me.

Gamefaqs.com.

Mostly just teens on it.
The game faq/walkthroughs are pretty decent on there... unless if there are forums, too, lol. Never checked, since I mostly browsed that site on an old iPaq 4150, then a 1st gen iPod touch, :D. Never on my computer, though...:confused:
Metacritic.

Wait, no thats always been full of crap.

It's a review aggregator... dunno how that can ever go wrong.

No, seriously, how is it full of crap? (unless if it just catches crap reviews as part of it's job :p).

The game faq/walkthroughs are pretty decent on there... unless if there are forums, too, lol. Never checked, since I mostly browsed that site on an old iPaq 4150, then a 1st gen iPod touch, :D. Never on my computer, though...:confused:

The forums on gamefaqs are rubbish. The walkthroughs however tend to be good overall. I have found some really bad ones, but usually there are multiple guides to choose from.

A site that I think that has gone downhill is IGN. Ever since the latest console generation I believe that the website has become clunky, hard to navigate, and the reviewers have gotten exceptionally bad. Ignboards hasn't been good for almost a decade now.

The forums on gamefaqs are rubbish. The walkthroughs however tend to be good overall. I have found some really bad ones, but usually there are multiple guides to choose from.

A site that I think that has gone downhill is IGN. Ever since the latest console generation I believe that the website has become clunky, hard to navigate, and the reviewers have gotten exceptionally bad. Ignboards hasn't been good for almost a decade now.

I agree, even the IGN WP7 and iPhone apps are horrible. Nothing could save that site.

It's a review aggregator... dunno how that can ever go wrong.

No, seriously, how is it full of crap? (unless if it just catches crap reviews as part of it's job :p).

Basically at this point because they can demand reviews be removed. If people review bomb something then that just how the cookie crumbles. They shouldn't allow pubs to remove reviews.

Last edited:
Basically at this point because they can demand reviews be removed. If people review bomb something then that just how the cookie crumbles. They shouldn't allow pubs to remove reviews.

:eek:

Well... fuck metacritic, then.

Eurogamer is pretty bad too.

They gave SWTOR a fairly scathing review, but an 80 score. EA plays hardball on review scores; if you don't play by their rules, you don't get a pre-release copy of ME3 or whatever other DLCfest they're peddling next.

Also seconding this:
What's the point of having user scores if you're just going to toss out bad reviews? Metacritic, for better or worse, shouldn't tamper with user scores. The "professional" review scores have been tampered with enough already.

if you don't play by their rules, you don't get a pre-release copy of ME3 or whatever other DLCfest they're peddling next.

Some of those review kits that companies send out early can contain up to thousands of dollars in extra goodies.

shacknews.com

used to be my favorite site for pc gaming news but they sold out and post mostly useless junk.

This site is a waste of space now. Shacknews(shugashack) was one of my daily reading sites for a better part of a decade, as soon as steve gibson left/sold it off etc it went to utter shit.

This site is a waste of space now. Shacknews(shugashack) was one of my daily reading sites for a better part of a decade, as soon as steve gibson left/sold it off etc it went to utter shit.

^^^This..place is a cesspool now.

yeah. i used to read the shacknews every day in the good old time of quake when scary steve used to post demos, i might still have some archived... thanks for reminding me of that site, i've pretty much forgotten it.

To me basically anything IGN, which unfortunately includes VE3D...

PS: One of my favorite forums to visit used to be sharky's....bllaaahh

Newegg. I still use them, but I really preferred their old layout/design. The new one just doesn't make any sense to me. It's uglier and less usable that it was before. At least that can be corrected with certain FF plugins.

shacknews.com

x2 same here. The interface of that site is horrible. The only time I've been back to shacknews, since the redesign, is to show people when bad website designs comes up in conversation (that and the DMV). I'm honestly really surprised that it hasn't had it's layout changed back or, at the very least, give the user the option to change it to something else. I find it next to impossible that their user base hadn't suffered a sharp decline as a result

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back