We did a little PSU test (fiery explosions included)

Redbeard

Official Corsair Rep.
http://corsair.com/cinema/movie.aspx?id=622747

We buy a lot of products made by different companies to evaluate them. This one was a cheap 450W supply you can find at just about any online retailer. We're not going to name a brand.

Anyway, the first one we plugged in, we tested it at 75% load in the lab, and it exploded. We quickly bought another few of them, took the case off and filmed them exploding.

Every single time we tested them, they exploded within 2 minutes. It's fun to watch. But it also serves as a reminder why buying a decent PSU is important.

This "450W" PSU explodes at 335W.

Again, here's the link: http://corsair.com/cinema/movie.aspx?id=622747

Great stuff, that is worthy of front page linkage for SURE!

LOL!

I knew some companies tested other companies' power supplies.

I own 2 corsair PSU's 450 and 750. Love them, just wish now, that i bought modular from you guys /

So which brand was it?
At least give us a slight hint.

Think I found it
The pics show that external fan and the user comments sound just like your's.
Plus the price is low enough to enable you to show what a crap psu is...repeatedly, without blowing a big wad of dollars.

So which brand was it?
At least give us a slight hint.

Think I found it
The pics show that outside the box fan and the user comments sound just like your's.
Plus the price is low enough to enable you to show what a crap psu is...repeatedly, without blowing a big wad of dollars.

I think you found it.

20 dollars should have been the first clue this was a junk but no, did you see how many people gave it 5 eggs? I not sure if I should laugh or cry

LOL, Im running this Psu on my budget box. Powered a 5000BE, an 8800gt and a watercooling loop for 9 months now. Its still ticking... nice vid though I plan on picking up a Corsair Modular 1000w for my primary box soon.

That was great. I could tell it was a raidmax right away from the external fan on the back. Some of those models actually had a third fan on the bottom. But yeah, I've had to replace a few of them in my time.

PS: How can i get a job like that? :p

PS: How can i get a job like that? :p

I got my job through HardOCP.

4 years ago I saw this post on the front page of HardOCP. Figured "eh, why not?" and applied.

Got the job, and 4 years and a few promotions later I still have one of the coolest jobs in the world. Now, part of my job is to read these forums and decide which products you guys want us to make.

I so envy you man! BTW I got a set of bad ram and was willing if you could help me speed up the process??? :D

4 years ago I saw this post on the front page of HardOCP. Figured "eh, why not?" and applied.

Got the job, and 4 years and a few promotions later I still have one of the coolest jobs in the world. Now, part of my job is to read these forums and decide which products you guys want us to make.

Awesome. That's about how I started writing mobo reviews here.

"Guaranteed not to dramatically explode"
^^ Sheer awesomeness!! I think another slo-mo shot is in order without camera movement. :D

...Now, part of my job is to read these forums and decide which products you guys want us to make.

I submit for the record that I would like Corsair to continue making products that don't dramatically explode. :D

Awesome video, solid products... Corsair ftw! :D

Thats about one of the coolest jobs ever. I envy you :cool:

Time machine.

Is there no reason for me not to hate the both of you? rub it in why don't you.

Awsome job(s) indeed. I should start reading the front page more often.

Redbeard, you ran pretty good there on the last one. :p

I loved the video, great music.

Back