WD 8TB RED when?

Abula

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone know if there is a schedule release date for the 8TB Reds, im starting to run out of space, but i don't want to commit to the 6tb unless the 8tb are too far away.

I have not heard anything however I would not expect this soon. I mean aren't the only drives larger than 6TB are either the HGST helium filled drives or SMR. I do not expect either of these technologies being used in a Red drive.

I'm not counting on very many options for 8tb drives, the storage companies are placing most their r&d into flash storage.

WD has made no announcements. If you want high performance WD has the He drive, if you want cold storage Seagate has the Shingle. WD is selling every He drive they make and has no particular need to cannibalize their enterprise sales of the He.

I'm not counting on very many options for 8tb drives, the storage companies are placing most their r&d into flash storage.

New technologies often mean new competitors, and I think that's true with flash storage. Designing and building HDDs requires considerable mechanical expertise. Not so with semi-conductor-based SSDs.

Moore's Law guarantees that SSDs will invade more and more of the market space now controlled by HDD companies. So that kind of research are the HDD companies doing with flash?

WD has made no announcements. If you want high performance HGST has the He drive, if you want cold storage Seagate has the Shingle. HGST is selling every He drive they make and has no particular need to cannibalize their enterprise sales of the He.

FYP

New technologies often mean new competitors, and I think that's true with flash storage. Designing and building HDDs requires considerable mechanical expertise. Not so with semi-conductor-based SSDs.

Moore's Law guarantees that SSDs will invade more and more of the market space now controlled by HDD companies. So that kind of research are the HDD companies doing with flash?

I ment NAND, I had flash on the mind, ehh potatoes. :D

Either way the list is long, you should look at all the new technologies being introduced in the recent mlc/tlc drives alone, the move to 3d, incorporating NVMe etc. Spinners will still be around as long as they can make money on them but I doubt you will see increased capacities, especially at consumer prices.

I ment NAND, I had flash on the mind, ehh potatoes. :D

Either way the list is long, you should look at all the new technologies being introduced in the recent mlc/tlc drives alone, the move to 3d, incorporating NVMe etc. Spinners will still be around as long as they can make money on them but I doubt you will see increased capacities, especially at consumer prices.

watch your words. People at fermi lab were swearing we would never pass 2MB drives at one point. Same was a said 5 or so years ago before we started doing perpendicular read/write or whatever.

quoted pure gold!!

ps performance = flash

windows does flash cache and tiering for free and zfs is pretty good with arc, l2arc and zil

WD has made no announcements. If you want high performance WD has the He drive, if you want cold storage Seagate has the Shingle. WD is selling every He drive they make and has no particular need to cannibalize their enterprise sales of the He.

watch your words. People at fermi lab were swearing we would never pass 2MB drives at one point. Same was a said 5 or so years ago before we started doing perpendicular read/write or whatever.

Yea, but there was no competing storage mediums at the time.

What I don't understand is why WD stopped selling their Red Pro drives beyond 4TB capacity, when they were introduced I believe they made 5TB and 6TB Red Pro's, now you can only get those cpacities in their regular Red lineup.

Not necessarily. But also depends on which storage company we're talking about.

The death of spinners continues to be a rumor greatly exaggerated.

FWIW Seagate has had 10TB ready to go for a while.

Last edited:
Maybe I am confused then but I could of sworn they came out with red pro drives beyond 4TB initially and then they disappeared, but I could be wrong.

Not necessarily. But also depends on which storage company we're talking about.

The death of spinners continues to be a rumor greatly exaggerated.

FWIW Seagate has had 10TB ready to go for a while.

I'm not saying spinners are soon to die, I'm just saying expect a delay in greater capacity spinners.

Yea, but there was no competing storage mediums at the time.

no people at WD and fermilab were saying the technology could not go beyond 2MB HDD at one point and that was the highest the hard drives would ever go but as always we found a new way to engineer stuff to be better. It was one of the first work stories and lessons my father taught me from when he used to be an engineer at fermilab/WD* and how to not make comments of that nature.

*He worked at both a long time ago not sure which place at the moment he worked when that even/statement was going around.

I'm not saying spinners are soon to die, I'm just saying expect a delay in greater capacity spinners.

they also said that about 1TB drives as i stated earlier. But we came up with perpendicular heads or something like that 5-10 years ago when 500GB-1TB was just coming out.

Ha :) i actually was right with my first guess 10 years ago it was commerical and i had the name right. Woot. Eat it TBI :p I can still remember things.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpendicular_recording

Last edited:
Back