WCG THOR Challenge 2020

Two more days. Today's update will be at 23:59:59 UTC (Sep 26th).
Tomorrow will be the final Week 2 result published on Sep 27th 23:59:59 UTC.

We will surely move to Round 3 (Week 3) and things will get more competitive soon.

Week 2, Day 6

1601170140843.png

Final Week 2 result. We qualify for round 3 (Week 3) in which the top 10 teams based on total run time will move to the final Thor Challenge (not Pure) aka Week 4 challenge.

Week 3 challenge starts on Monday, October 05, 2020 at 00:00:00 UTC to Sunday, October 11, 2020 23:59:59 UTC

You can bunker and drop your completed tasks after Oct 5th.

Thanks for participating for the good cause and have fun!

Edit: Something is wrong with the stat..... [placeholder for now]

Edit #2: Stats corrected. Final result.

1601257547713.png

Last edited:
In case anyone cares to see, this is how the T.R. 3960 did with the last 7 days of Open Pandemics while on Thor.

1601340845155.png

yeah...unless you are trying to get a specific hard to get sub project or a large challenge only focuses on one sub project, they don't typically have a shortage of work.

with regards to bunkering - I have one system (that has only been running a 2-3 weeks) that has a really high time remaining estimate (like 8+ hours per OPN WU). Thus it seems to not pull much of a backlog of work since it thinks its going to take so long per WU. Do I just have to wait until things level out? I thought it would have done so by now.

skylaar24 , metallicafan , glad to have you guys back crunching for the good cause.

metallicafan - not sure what cpu you are running but since you are running OP for 2-3 weeks (assuming 24/7), it should level out by now. You can try to change the entries in the "Other" section of the BOINC computing preference setting to get more work and then disable the network. Below I set 10 days of work to store and additional 10 days on top of that. The OP tasks have 7 days deadline. There is a nice youtube video here on the basic of bunkering.

1601423458911.png

skylaar24 , metallicafan , glad to have you guys back crunching for the good cause.

metallicafan - not sure what cpu you are running but since you are running OP for 2-3 weeks (assuming 24/7), it should level out by now. You can try to change the entries in the "Other" section of the BOINC computing preference setting to get more work and then disable the network. Below I set 10 days of work to store and additional 10 days on top of that. The OP tasks have 7 days deadline. There is a nice youtube video here on the basic of bunkering.

View attachment 284091
And take note of that bad ass t-shirt at the beginning.

I'm going to guess that week three has now started and dumps can begin.

I'm going to guess that week three has now started and dumps can begin.
Yes, you can drop the bunker. The top 10 teams will move to Week 4 Thor challenge trophy based on total run time.

Week 3, Day 1 result. We manage to scrape through the 10th spot.

1601946219421.png

It's likely we'll work our way up in the ranks quite a bit. Looking at the last one a lot of the teams bunkered a lot beforehand whereas many of us don't bunker at all and our daily production is higher than theirs.

Good observation. That's what most competitive teams are doing when it comes to any type of BOINC challenges. Primegrid challenges do not allow bunkering because they control how the credits are rewarded.

Good observation. That's what most competitive teams are doing when it comes to any type of BOINC challenges. Primegrid challenges do not allow bunkering because they control how the credits are rewarded.

That observation is only mostly true. You can bunker in primegrid but only mid competition and only work units that you download after the start. Why would you do this? if you can mask your output you may have your competition underestimate you which might mean they try to recruit less / overclock less or buys / rent less resources.

Is this points based or runtime based now that we are in week 3? I have moved from OP to SCC and my points output has dropped almost 20% because of it but somehow my runtime is slightly higher...

Is this points based or runtime based now that we are in week 3? I have moved from OP to SCC and my points output has dropped almost 20% because of it but somehow my runtime is slightly higher...
It's still runtime based.

Week 3, Day 2 result. Looks like the bottom 4 teams run times differ by less than a year.

View attachment 286211

From the difference in runtime between days 1 and 2 it looks like we should pick up at least two more spots. Several of those teams did quite a bit of bunkering for the first days dump which put them ahead of us.

Week 3, Day 6. One more day to go. Can we hold onto the top 10 spot?

1602377984900.png

Week 3, final day result. We move on to the final Thor Challenge (non-PURE) based on total run time scheduled to start on Oct 19th, 00:00:00 UTC and ends on Oct 25th, 23:59:59 UTC.

Also, we qualify for the Thor Challenge PURE where the winner will be based on credits (not run time) accumulated during the event which starts on Nov 2nd 00:00:00 UTC and ends on Nov 8th 23:59:59 UTC.

1602463942063.png

Pure may be a problem for me. I should be in the move process that week. All depends on how soon I can get internet set up in between having to work.

Formula-What?....bwahahahaha
It's a somewhat well known competition on BOINC, step 1 is to select 'TeAm Anandtech' on the Sprint project's website :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: and then run that project :) . All joking aside I hope [H] does well in the THOR challenge on this round - we didn't make it into this round but will be in 'pure' - so best of luck to you guys! I have a few cores on it for you guys as well.

The week 4 challenge will be tough as it coincides with the PG challenge. Pure challenge will be interesting to see the mega team likely to drop a very huge bunker on day one.

Back