Wccftech: 2080ti leak and preorder

Prices are concerning, but I'm hoping it's just a snafu. $800 I could stomach, barely, but not $1000 for anything less than a Titan.

Prices are concerning, but I'm hoping it's just a snafu. $800 I could stomach, barely, but not $1000 for anything less than a Titan.

I believe they are snafu. I wouldn't worry too much. I read somewhere nvidia was going to charge a little less this round... dont ask me where ha But that has nothing to do with what retailers will charge.

When you have a near-monopoly you can charge whatever you want.
Yeah if you can't see the obvious trend then nothing will help.
I said they'd launch the Ti like this as means to increase prices. But we'll find out soon if that's the case.
Or else, this is just a way to crash the used market prices first..

Yeah if you can't see the obvious trend then nothing will help.
I said they'd launch the Ti like this as means to increase prices. But we'll find out soon if that's the case.
Or else, this is just a way to crash the used market prices first..

I think the same. They have never done this before. To launch 2080ti and 2080 at the same times just means it allows them to price 2080 similar to 1080 launch price but 2080ti couple hundred more. 1080ti launched later but they dropped the price as they have always done. I think its a good move to make more money. Makes it look like hey 2080 is similar to 1080 at launch, you want more performance, shell out more money. If 2080 is around 650. Honestly I am suspecting 1080ti to be >800. Not surprising at this moment to see the leaks preorder pricing at 800+ from pny.

I think the same. They have never done this before. To launch 2080ti and 2080 at the same times just means it allows them to price 2080 similar to 1080 launch price but 2080ti couple hundred more. 1080ti launched later but they dropped the price as they have always done. I think its a good move to make more money. Makes it look like hey 2080 is similar to 1080 at launch, you want more performance, shell out more money. If 2080 is around 650. Honestly I am suspecting 1080ti to be >800. Not surprising at this moment to see the leaks preorder pricing at 800+ from pny.

You only worry about price as a company if you have lots of product you need to sell. Rumor is they still have a lot of previous gen product to sell so the price will likely remain high unless sales plummet, which they might depending on how well these new cards perform. Honestly it looks underwhelming performance and price wise so far and now you using over 250 watts in power as well.

Damn I didn't expect a grand for a Ti.... Didn't expect the Ti to come out first either.

With 1080 Ti's going for $650 shipped right now on Newegg you might just be better off buying one of those if you're needing a GPU upgrade... Unless you've got a 4K monitor to push.

Of course all that depends on how they bench. If they're something crazy like 50% faster than it's a whole other ballgame. 15-20%, not so much.

If they're something crazy like 50% faster than it's a whole other ballgame. 15-20%, not so much.

have any of the gaming GPU releases of the past ever been more than 20% performance increase over the previous gen?

Agreed it's a good business move and market will mostly play ball, as it's a 'build it and they will come' market.
It's something I criticised Nvidia for not doing in past, if I was in the market for some Nvidia loving I'd get the Ti and be glad for the choice. Wonder if they'll segment between them further though like 1070Ti?

have any of the gaming GPU releases of the past ever been more than 20% performance increase over the previous gen?

Yes. [H] actually just did a 3 part set of articles comparing the 780, 980 and 1080 and there are differences in some games over 70%. I would think 20% would be the minimum we should expect from Turing and 50% wouldn't be unheard of especially after waiting 2 years.

Yes. [H] actually just did a 3 part set of articles comparing the 780, 980 and 1080 and there are differences in some games over 70%. I would think 20% would be the minimum we should expect from Turing and 50% wouldn't be unheard of especially after waiting 2 years.
Yep, and there are tons of architectural changes per the Nvidia Quadro presentation. I can't wait to find out more... Aiming for the 2080ti myself.

The problem with that is comparing benchmarks of newer cards on newer drivers vs older cards on older drivers. when you actually bench cards apples to apples you'll see alot of that also is due to varying clockspeed comparisons.

For example my go to title is Crysis 3 and I keep an old 780 Ti around to manually bench it against new cards. Its still pretty competitive even when benched against Titan XP at 4K in the first level (20 fps vs 45fps).

Last edited:
The problem with that is comparing benchmarks of newer cards on newer drivers vs older cards on older drivers. when you actually bench cards apples to apples you'll see alot of that also is due to varying clockspeed comparisons.

For example my go to title is Crysis 3 and I keep an old 780 Ti around to manually bench it against new cards. Its still pretty competitive even when benched against Titan XP at 4K in the first level (20 fps vs 45fps).
Except the [H] article used the same driver on all cards in their 3-part article. And 20 to 45 FPS is a 125% increase, consistent with the results [H] got.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/08/07/nvidia_gpu_generational_performance_part_2/3

According to leaks RTX2080 would have been 15% faster than the GTX 1080 Ti. I expect the RTX2080 Ti to be almost 50% faster than the 1080 Ti.

It makes sense to drop the Ti now, otherwise people might say the 2080 performance is underwhelming.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 2080 cost $699 or more and the 2080 Ti cost somewhere in the $899-999 price range.

What I want to know is, what the hell the "6x performance of previous generations" is referring to? I know it's just marketing hype, but what exactly would they be referring to?

According to leaks RTX2080 would have been 15% faster than the GTX 1080 Ti. I expect the RTX2080 Ti to be almost 50% faster than the 1080 Ti.

It makes sense to drop the Ti now, otherwise people might say the 2080 performance is underwhelming.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 2080 cost $699 or more and the 2080 Ti cost somewhere in the $899-999 price range.

7nm is right around the corner. No way they would release the Ti this quick when they can just make money off of the 2080. Although at these price points.. maybe not. They have full control.

What I want to know is, what the hell the "6x performance of previous generations" is referring to? I know it's just marketing hype, but what exactly would they be referring to?
I believe its ray tracing vs ray tracing. Not to how that performance will affect gaming. I think that is different.

Yeah, the CUDA core spec leaks and floating point performance of the Quadro all scream matching performance to pascal. But if they could use those tensor cores in places where a fp16 matrix multiply would be sufficient, Nvidia could get a free performance boost in their drivers.

They have a hundred times the performance of those CUDA cores. So I wouldn't place any performance bets fight now. This is on-top of any tensor usage in new games.

This has the same potential performance boost as when Nvidia released Tessellation in Fermi, but made it part of those beefy CUDA arrays. It turned out to be the right decision, once games started using the feature.

Last edited:
Why did Nvidia not show any traditional performance comparison?

Just RTX performance which obviously is way better. Makes me think the jump isn't as big in games that are not using Ray Tracing, considering they avoided talking about it. Guess we'll see.

The Ray Tracing stuff looks great, but I'm worried it's going to be like tesellation was initially and that killed frame rates, I pretty much left it off until more powerful GPUs came out. So I'm more interested in just the raw GPU performance.

Last edited:
They wont move much at all for that price.

I think they will... and non-FE should be cheaper, right? Right!?

I’d almost just want a full cuda core card. Kinda worried about the anti-competitive nature of this.

Last edited:
SIGH nevermind...

Apparently we have the typical monopoly.

Charging 1200 fucking dollars for a Ti and 900 for a regular card.

Either Newegg/nV is just taking advantage of preorder crazy deep pockets people or else nVidia is trying to destroy the PC GPU market once and for all. What's the 3000 series going to cost next gen? $4995.99 plus a 2 year agreement for software licensing at $195.00 / month? It's getting fucking retarded.

With a market where companies are making record profit yet wage stagnation is still year 2000 levels wtf are these companies thinking. This used to be a hobby a lot of people could afford but now it's becoming a hobby for the most highest earning people which is getting insane in every market segment.

Cant even get a jug of milk without paying 4.99 and now GPUs that used to be $750 are now $1200?????

Hey they can charge whatever they want. I have toyed with the idea of just dumping this PC building hobby altogether and other times I'm too stubborn to give it up. But this kind of b.s. is changing my mind faster than holding my love for high end.

I'm just one person but what if there were ten thousand or one hundred K or a million that were just little old me's? Time for a market correction now more than ever.

Last edited:
During the video presentation the prices quoted were:

2070 > $499
2080 > $699
2080 Ti > $999

I'd like to think the actual prices we are seeing at the moment are just pre-order pricing.

What's to stop crypto from gobbling up these new RTX series cards and escalating the price even higher and making them hard to find in stock anywhere.

Right now crypto is only 1/2 or 1/3 of what it was last year but it's bound to go up again and if that happens new cards will be swept up from all stores.

If you look at the actual die sizes the prices are cheaper than you would expect... a $1200 Titan was ~470 mm^2 and now $1200 gets you over 700mm^2. I want to see some benches but not sure if I agree with all the negativity.

If you look at the actual die sizes the prices are cheaper than you would expect... a $1200 Titan was ~470 mm^2 and now $1200 gets you over 700mm^2.

A titan is a titan for a titan market. A game card is a game card for a gamer market.

This pricing model in no way reflects the intention to sell to gamers anymore.

Last edited:
A titan is a titan for a titan market. A game card is a game card for a gamer market.

This pricing model in no way reflects the intention to sell to gamers anymore.

I think they read the forums here and other places and decided some people will pay anything just to say they have the fastest card and I think their yields are garbage so they priced it sky high and are hoping for the best. I personally hope they rot on the shelves at those prices.

I think they read the forums here and other places and decided some people will pay anything just to say they have the fastest card and I think their yields are garbage so they priced it sky high and are hoping for the best. I personally hope they rot on the shelves at those prices.

Judging by the fact that their store now lists a ship date of October 22nd, they're selling quite well. I'm waiting to see what the performance is like before I spend my money. I also want to see if they release a Titan version in a month or two and what's that going to look like.

You and I both. But realistically the cult members will buy them blindly.

Back