watercooling an 8800GT

Kryp2nitE

n00b
anyone have links for places i can find some, ive searched a bit and there is speculation about the 79xx series coolers fitting them.

new to WC'ing GPU and need some advice =) or at least some good websites to go to

No full cover blocks for a while. Until then, get an MCW-60. I guarantee that either the stock four-hole mount will fit, or else the G80 adapter plate will work. One way or the other, you're covered. :p

No full cover blocks for a while. Until then, get an MCW-60. I guarantee that either the stock four-hole mount will fit, or else the G80 adapter plate will work. One way or the other, you're covered. :p

It does not use the G80 mounting scheme. The holes around the die are like the 7900 series which led to the initial speculation about full cover 7900 blocks working. That was quickly shot down by DangerDen and Eddy (EK). We should be seeing some full cover blocks in about 2-3 weeks is my guess.

DangerDen says that the Maze4 and Maze5 GPU blocks will fit. You'd need a pile of ramsinks for the uncovered chips, though. Their full coverage block is still in development.

http://www.dangerden.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9764

Maze4 and Maze5 use the standard 4-hole mounting, which means so shall an MCW60. However, notice in the first pic in the first post:

Corresponds to the metal frame from the 8800GTS/GTX. Means that G80 mountings should fit AS WELL.

I stand behind my original claim. :p

And ramsinks go without saying! :shakes fist:

and i thought i was gonna get flamed for being a H2O nub =)

would a full cover block cool that much better? it sounds much better and if there is a large difference then i would prefer to wait a little bit for it =)

thanks everyone for the help

I heard EK will have a full cover block for the 8800gt in 3-4 weeks from now.

a REALLY well made full cover should contact the memory chips so that all is needed is thermal compound (grease) between the block and the chip. Most of the time the tolerances are so bad because of variations in chips used by different memory manuf etc. a thermal pad (fairly thick ones too) is used between the memory chips and the block and/or voltage regulator chips.

In situations that use the thermal pads it is my opinion you are better off with a regular block and a PCI slot fan next to the card just blowing air directly on ALL the chips on the card except the gpu. Ramsinks optional, I have them but don't think they are needed or really do a whole hell of a lot with the direct airflow. But my memory chips don't get all that hot even decently OCed and over volted (ATI X1900GT) so /shrug.

http://mysite.verizon.net/ressdxka/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/computer003.jpg

Of course the need to install other cards might prevent this kind of solution.

So not much help to your question, well maybe, again only my opinion, I like having air hitting every damn chip on the board due to the cost of these cards and a lot of the ability of the card to OC can have nothing to do with the GPU or memory chips. Cannot hurt stability and life either. I do not know of any block that can cool everything on the board.

So will my Maze 4 LP fit on the new 8800GT? it could be cool to just swap it from one card tot he next. I just use ramsinks on my 7800gt for quite some time now. perhaps I could pull them off the 7800 GT as well since I mixed 60/40. but I am a bit nervous about that since they have been cooked on there over the last 2.5 years.

just get a MCW30/Maze4,5/or a Fuzion GFX block for the 8800GT
don't wait for a full cover block..

The 8800GT packs a lot of heat from its mem chips and vregs. It's just better to sink them and not have the added heat dump into your loop + with airflow over the ram sinks, cooling performance is better then under a full cover block..

Sounds like an argument *FOR* a full cover block if you ask me :p

its really a matter of preference, some people don't want that added heat dump in their loop... some people don't mind.. but I would take in consideration the number of blocks and the size of the radiator and come up with a conclusion.. feel me? to each its own

its really a matter of preference, some people don't want that added heat dump in their loop... some people don't mind.. but I would take in consideration the number of blocks and the size of the radiator and come up with a conclusion.. feel me? to each its own

Yea I know exactly where you were coming from (hence the smiley face).

However, I would argue that if the extra 20 or so watts from the power circuitry and memory changes anything in your watercooling performance you have other serious issues to attend to :)

Yea I know exactly where you were coming from (hence the smiley face).

However, I would argue that if the extra 20 or so watts from the power circuitry and memory changes anything in your watercooling performance you have other serious issues to attend to :)

Yep, coupled with the fact that Vreg/Vram ramsinks are usually quite ugly, and prone to falling off in the middle of a UT2k4 deathmath. *grumbles*

I agree that the heatdump from the memory/vrm/etc with a full cover block is probably nothing to worry about. However, full cover blocks are usually not compatible with many models (read: reusable), are more restrictive, and do cost quite a bit more than a GPU block + RAM sinks.

Personally, if I had money to just throw around, I'd go full cover all the way.

Personally, if I had money to just throw around, I'd go full cover all the way.

i would not because of the compatiblity part, if you bought a new gfx card you would also then have to buy another full cover block and then sell your other, rather than just using the universal one you have

i would not because of the compatiblity part, if you bought a new gfx card you would also then have to buy another full cover block and then sell your other, rather than just using the universal one you have

You seemed to have missed the middle part of the sentence: "if I had money to just throw around". Though, in the real world, I completely agree with you.

I'm not a big fan of card specific coolers, but that's me. A $100-$150 cooler specifically for a card that is only $250? :confused:

My Maze4 is working great on my 8800GT. I'm going to put some heatsinks on the other chips.

Nice craftmanship but i'm worried about the lack of flow due to the thickness :eek:

got my 8800 GT,

I removed my maze4 from my 7800GT.

I was able to knock the ramsinks off the old card by tapping them with a screwdriver handle (I mixes Artic Ceramique with Artic Alumina epoxy 40/60). They all broke off cleanly! This is GREAT NEWS that I can re use my block. Full coverage Wb is not even a thought at this point.

The AC block does look yummy other than that stupid aluminum plate on top...

I ran Bioshock with the 8800GT and my GPU temps set my MBM5 alram off as they exceeded 70c!

I was able to knock the ramsinks off the old card by tapping them with a screwdriver handle (I mixes Artic Ceramique with Artic Alumina epoxy 40/60). They all broke off cleanly! This is GREAT NEWS that I can re use my block. Full coverage Wb is not even a thought at this point.!

Don't forget to ramsink the voltage regs.

Yea I'll just copy that other guys thread

I think I'm going to move my radiator to the bottom of the case as well (instead of the front), this way it should blow some air at the ramsinks.

EK also shown his preliminary full cover block so it's yummy too :D

I would really like to know what Eddy means by the "most important thing under the top" :confused:

From the original thread at XS I know there is only the picture of the aquagrafx block and no text, so it seems he doesn't know that our block is also capable for SLI, has broad channels for a good flow and a special structure above the GPU :D

I would really like to know what Eddy means by the "most important thing under the top" :confused:

From the original thread at XS I know there is only the picture of the aquagrafx block and no text, so it seems he doesn't know that our block is also capable for SLI, has broad channels for a good flow and a special structure above the GPU :D
He means how its performance that matters, not looks. and a block like the EK, you get both.

The AQGFX is not capable of SLI, just look at the pictures of it on the card. no barbs on the front side of the block, only the back. which means the only way to SLI is to have a huge tube doing a loop up and back down.

I agree with the SLI capability of the AC block. It would be REALLY nice to have the option to put the barbs on the front or the back of the block. It makes the routing sooo much nicer. The problem is that AC likely can't do this with the way they only have a thin stainless steel plate on the top.

Back