Watch Dogs

the whole thing is kind of fucked to be honest. the dof needs to be completely removed from the normal walking/running cameras, the light entities in the cars are placed wrong, the headlights randomly stutter across the ground like they're running at 15 fps and pop in/out, the shadows projected by the headlights are extremely sharp and extend too far, the bloom is awful, and i was getting some weird lighting issues during the day where i would have random breaks in shadows that would show up anywhere on the screen, as if light shafts were piercing through buildings and shit for one frame then disappearing.

I haven't played in maybe 1-2 weeks and now I can't launch the game anymore. Get an "Watch Dogs has stopped working" error with the culprit apparently being dxgii.dll .

It sucks, I just wanted to relax and drive around for a bit.

Just an FYI

Geforce 340.43 Beta contains an updated Watch Dogs profile from the current WHQL

Watch Dogs - updated profile

This 340.43 Game Ready, Beta driver ensures you'll have the best possible gaming experience for Watch Dogs and can provide a significant performance gain in a variety of other titles

That mod thread over at Guru is a clusterfuck of epic proportions. It's flooded with so many people requesting features, asking dumb questions and e-peen battles. So much Clusterfuck. It's like Lord Of The Flies for video games.. Everyone is so desperate for something other than the pile of shit Ubisoft put out they are trying anything and everything. And the main mod.. While better(ish) is still unplayable.. But so many people are blinded by the "OMG IT's DIFFERENT" thing they can't see past the fact it really isn't any better.

That mod thread over at Guru is a clusterfuck of epic proportions. It's flooded with so many people requesting features, asking dumb questions and e-peen battles. So much Clusterfuck. It's like Lord Of The Flies for video games.. Everyone is so desperate for something other than the pile of shit Ubisoft put out they are trying anything and everything. And the main mod.. While better(ish) is still unplayable.. But so many people are blinded by the "OMG IT's DIFFERENT" thing they can't see past the fact it really isn't any better.

Yeah, lol everyone is hating ubisoft for supposedly locking down features of the e3 demo. As if it was just one tick and boom suddenly the same graphics as e3. I tried the mod out yesterday and it doesn't look that good at all, the latest version still had this terrible depth of field effect while on foot that magically goes away when you enter a car. If you go through a tunnel it looks like everything is pitch black outside but the moment you step out suddenly everything becomes brighter.

It's the sensationalist titles like "E3 level graphics found hidden in ubisoft files" that cause all the rage. Then when people test out the mod a bunch of people were saying how amazing it looks and blah blah blah, when really it's not better at all.

If you're going to be mad at ubisoft, be mad that they still haven't released a patch yet and there's all these stuttering issues and dual gpus don't work properly. Despite this the game still has looked really good at max settings.

I've seen some people claim the new shadows are part of the Blackout effect, so the mod just essentially enables them permanently. They're not an "E3 effect".

Although the settings ARE CALLED E3 in the config files, not sure if they actually do anything but it's still a smoking gun.
I actually feel bad for Ubisoft on this one. People are so mad about the downgrade, they'll grasp at any excuse to criticize Ubisoft.

Any other company, under any other circumstances, and they'd get a pass. The witch hunt is real.

I've seen some people claim the new shadows are part of the Blackout effect, so the mod just essentially enables them permanently. They're not an "E3 effect".

Although the settings ARE CALLED E3 in the config files, not sure if they actually do anything but it's still a smoking gun.
I actually feel bad for Ubisoft on this one. People are so mad about the downgrade, they'll grasp at any excuse to criticize Ubisoft.

Any other company, under any other circumstances, and they'd get a pass. The witch hunt is real.

When you take all the layers off the bullshit this mod is hyping and then add Ubisofts history of shit PC console ports and just look at Watch Dogs from a vanilla stand point you have to kind of understand.. This is pretty much the straw that broke the camels back for a lot of people with Ubisoft..

I haven't played in maybe 1-2 weeks and now I can't launch the game anymore. Get an "Watch Dogs has stopped working" error with the culprit apparently being dxgii.dll .

It sucks, I just wanted to relax and drive around for a bit.

Try reinstalling DirectX and/or your GFX drivers. If you took a windows update in the past few weeks, it's not uncommon for those to mess things up. So you could also roll back system restore to when it was playable .. Assuming you haven't installed anything else.

Try reinstalling DirectX and/or your GFX drivers. If you took a windows update in the past few weeks, it's not uncommon for those to mess things up. So you could also roll back system restore to when it was playable .. Assuming you haven't installed anything else.

Turns out it was fraps. Even though I didn't have the overlay on it still caused issues.

TheWorse has achieved full internet ego... *smh* It's ashame modding has come to this.

Not about giving
Not about helping your fellow gamers out.
Not about sticking it to the man
Not about being humble

It's all about internet fame. Modding has always been about changing everyone elses values and edits to achieve what they want for themselves, or others. I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate when nobodies get an ego over something that in the end no one will remember who they were in the first place.

And it's a shame someone is going to just change 2 values of this and make his mod about a mod.

And stop talking about the other guy here. He is just spamming and changing the values of my files.

yeah guru3d's forums are fucking horrendous. it's like a bunch of idiot children who think they're the most important thing in the universe when in reality they barely know more than a console gamer. did you see the 'other guy' (kaiditz?)'s posts? 'wow u stole my work that took me two weeks and ur claiming its urs omg and u got baned this one time plz someone close this thiefs thread!!!!!!!!!' and then in between those posts you have people sucking their dicks saying how they've done such a great thing. what they did really isn't impressive at all, it probably would take someone who actually knew what they were doing an hour or two. it's like reddit.

yeah guru3d's forums are fucking horrendous. it's like a bunch of idiot children who think they're the most important thing in the universe when in reality they barely know more than a console gamer. did you see the 'other guy' (kaiditz?)'s posts? 'wow u stole my work that took me two weeks and ur claiming its urs omg and u got baned this one time plz someone close this thiefs thread!!!!!!!!!' and then in between those posts you have people sucking their dicks saying how they've done such a great thing. what they did really isn't impressive at all, it probably would take someone who actually knew what they were doing an hour or two. it's like reddit.

To be fair.. Before this whole Watch Dogs mod fiasco their gaming forum were run as tight as Hard Forums. Self moderated, civil discussions and debates, and self organized.. Ever since his mod got so much press it's been a clusterfuck over there

So, I stopped screwing around aimlessly and started trying to finish the campaign. I think I'm on Act 4 now. Basically I went from starting Act 2 to Starting Act 4 in 5 hours.

As much as I don't want to jump on the train here, it does get a bit tedious. It is impossible to go about the missions in any other way than to kill everybody a majority of the time. I guess you could, but there is no reward for it. The skills you unlock are all but useless. That is my biggest gripe with the game.

I can't harp on Watch Dogs too much, I mean hell this might be the first game I finish in years and years, but yeah. It is a one or two trick pony.

Yeah it's pretty sad. Even TotalBiscuit pointed out that it's barely a "mod"...more of just a config tweak.

Yeah it's pretty sad. Even TotalBiscuit pointed out that it's barely a "mod"...more of just a config tweak.

Yeah. As I said over there. He is editing files in notpad, not banging out fresh source code. I can't believe people are parting with real money over this.

Just about any PC gamer who has been around a while should be able to do this same thing. We've been editing and tweaking config files since there were files to tweak. Not just game files either. Remember config.sys and autoexec.bat? :D It's funny what will make you "famous" for a minute or two these days.

It's even cool that he did it. One's head swelling over it though is a little silly.

Just about any PC gamer who has been around a while should be able to do this same thing. We've been editing and tweaking config files since there were files to tweak. Not just game files either. Remember config.sys and autoexec.bat? :D It's funny what will make you "famous" for a minute or two these days.

It's even cool that he did it. One's head swelling over it though is a little silly.

Exactly.. Nearly every config tweak is a tweak of another tweak and so on and so on... It would be like people fighting over SweetFX presets..

Last edited:
So... what file do I need to edit to enable some effects? I just want to reduce the pop in and the dynamic headlights, all the other crap can go away.

Unless he's released the "customizer" tool then you can't pick which features you want.
I'm still not using this mod because the bloom is ridiculous, at least you can disable the DoF.

He's getting all pissy when other people mod his files so unless you feel like digging through the Guru3D thread, you're out of luck.

Yep. I removed his mod days ago because the bloom was insane. Add on top of his new found pre-madonna attitude I wouldn't use it out of spite anyway at this point.

Once the patches are over and the folks who frequent Nexus Mods get their hands on it we will see more complete and well rounded edits I'm sure.

About time, I hope it doesn't actually disappoint with the performance improvements, and they fix crossfire/SLI scaling (but since they made no mention of that it looks unlikely)

Well all it really says is "several performance improvements". What that actually means is anyone's guess.

Many developers are lazy as hell when it comes to detailed changelogs.

Well all it really says is "several performance improvements". What that actually means is anyone's guess.

Many developers are lazy as hell when it comes to detailed changelogs.

I don't have much faith. I have a feeling many of us will be left with a broken game that still stutters even on medium textures.

Back