Watch Dogs

I agree it might be deceptive...if that's what I said. I said "free post-release content has never been the norm". By that I mean it's always been fairly rare to see content added to games in a manner that's free.

Yeah, except again you are being disingenuous. The comment you replied to said:

Didn't we use to call that an Expansion or lots of the time this paid DLC was provided free.

To which you said:

Traditionally, added content hasn't been free. There have been obvious notable exceptions, but free post-release content has never been the norm for PC gaming.

So your response, taken in the proper context, indicates that you believe content other than expansion packs was not typically given for free in the past. I am saying that is incorrect, for the reasons I listed above.

If you pull what you said completely out of context then sure...but we both know that's not accurate. I don't disagree with a lot of your points, but in the context with which you said what you did, I have to disagree.

So we all know the driving is arcade like .. I always laughed when(as in, laugh at it) you sideswiped a car for some sparks, but started thinking "shooting the gap at speed shouldn't be this easy". Look closely, you actually drive through (clip) the car you hit. The sparks are there to hide it. You can generally hit about 2 feet+ of a rear of a car and see it.

It's not looking like the game can be completed without any kills, unfortunately. The last storyline mission I played demanded that I kill everyone, and that fact folds back into the storyline.

It doesn't bother me when a main storyline doesn't react to the way I play things, but I don't particularly care when the storyline is so rigid that it essentially forces my hand into doing something a particular way. For a game Ubi claims allows you to define your own morality, there sure isn't much leniance.

So your response, taken in the proper context, indicates that you believe content other than expansion packs was not typically given for free in the past.
Yep, that's right. I haven't changed stance, minced words or anything of that sort, so I'm not sure where A) I'm being disingenuous and B) from where any confusion could stem.

It's not looking like the game can be completed without any kills, unfortunately. The last storyline mission I played demanded that I kill everyone, and that fact folds back into the storyline.
Ubisoft had an awesome opportunity here.
Watch Dogs should have been entirely non-lethal. Aiden as a NON-MASS MURDERING vigilante hero, using only his melee stun baton and maybe some short range tazers, etc. Would force you to actually use hacking creatively.

But no... AAA titles gotta have guns, explosions, and tons of murder... Otherwise they won't sell... Meanwhile beating DE:HR without killing anyone is one of the best ways to play the game.

I still think it's a pretty solid game. They got a lot right, but it's disappointing that it could be so much more.

They're holding back a lot of stuff for Watch Dogs 2.
Guaranteed.

Connor will appear in WD 2.. And your mission will start out as a young hacker who's network was burned down by 4Chan.. Through a tedious, boring and drawn out sequence of Connors young hacker life you will go up against the likes of Reddit and 9GAG while getitng mentored by an old curmudgeon from the dialup days till ultimately you realize your real threat is Lulzsec and Anonymous..

Yep, that's right. I haven't changed stance, minced words or anything of that sort, so I'm not sure where A) I'm being disingenuous and B) from where any confusion could stem.

And like the part you conveniently cut off, I am saying you're wrong.

Connor will appear in WD 2.. And your mission will start out as a young hacker who's network was burned down by 4Chan.. Through a tedious, boring and drawn out sequence of Connors young hacker life you will go up against the likes of Reddit and 9GAG while getitng mentored by an old curmudgeon from the dialup days till ultimately you realize your real threat is Lulzsec and Anonymous..

i'm dying

DE:HR beating the game without killing anyone first time through is virtually impossible or the person doing it has infinite time on hands to pursue that strategy. First time implying little to no reloads, or retries.

I normally play all games rambo style unless there are insta fail missions. Hell in Watch Dogs I am killing bitches on the street like a mad man. Best way to enjoy the game. Also fighting mouse controls whilst firing bullets is a silly mini game that they have built into the shooting mechanics of the game.

So I was playing Watch Dogs last night and noticed that at times my CPU usage would hit 95-100% across all cores. Currently this is the only game that I have noticed this happening. With "next gen" titles finally starting to come out is this a trend that is going to continue? Is anybody else experiencing this? Would it be worth considering an i7 if games will take advantage of the extra vcore threads?

So I was playing Watch Dogs last night and noticed that at times my CPU usage would hit 95-100% across all cores. Currently this is the only game that I have noticed this happening. With "next gen" titles finally starting to come out is this a trend that is going to continue? Is anybody else experiencing this? Would it be worth considering an i7 if games will take advantage of the extra vcore threads?

Usually when Watch Dogs does that it means that your save file is going to become corrupt soon.

Don't think the game is using more CPU power because that's not the case. The game has very very poor optimization. No wonder the requirements are so insane....

DE:HR beating the game without killing anyone first time through is virtually impossible or the person doing it has infinite time on hands to pursue that strategy. First time implying little to no reloads, or retries.
I did it last month on my first play-through.
It's really not difficult at all, considering how predictable the AI is. The stealth augments make it trivial (cloak).

I did it last month on my first play-through.
It's really not difficult at all, considering how predictable the AI is. The stealth augments make it trivial (cloak).

Playing a stealth build is the only thing that even makes the game a remote challenge it was so dumbed down compared to the original, which is sad considering how easy it is even playing a stealth build lol.

OK .. Did I miss something storywise?

I just played the prison level where you threaten the guy to not mention you. That's fine and dandy. But then when I got in a car, I heard a radio message that said "Citizens are supportive of vigilante Aiden Pearce..". What was the point of the prison level if everyone who listens to the radio knows who I am? Seriously now, did I miss something plot wise?

And for a game that wants you to consider stealth and or moral choices, they really don't give you much choice. Only two suppressed weapons. No tazer, no rubber bullets, no tear gas/smoke options for grenades/ieds.

There's at least 4 silenced weapons.
One pistol, two SMG's, one assault rifle.

The SMG's are awful they miss the target almost all the time.. Silenced pistol is my go to silenced weapon. Good for short and medium range head shots. I pick off far targets with the un-silenced Sniper.. The AI are dumb as bricks..

The SMG's are awful they miss the target almost all the time.. Silenced pistol is my go to silenced weapon. Good for short and medium range head shots. I pick off far targets with the un-silenced Sniper.. The AI are dumb as bricks..

They are probably geniuses compared the Stalker AI.

Really? Are two in DLC or unlocked later on in the game? Because I only see one pistol and one SMG (Mac10).
You buy one of the SMG's from the store.
The other is unlocked from online missions.
The assault rifle is unlocked by completing 9 of the weapons investigations.

Open your phone and look at "progression". All of the unlockables are shown there.

There's probably something I'm missing, but how the fuck do you disable helicopters? I have the perk, but when you're in a car or something you can't actually look up high enough to do anything to them...even when you're on foot you can't always, either.

You have to be far enough from the helicopter to look at them while in your car, or if you get out you can generally disable it easily.

Ah...that kinda blows. If you're far enough from the helicopter to do that, you're probably far enough to just avoid it anyway. And if you're being chased by half a dozen cop cars, getting out of the car is a death sentence.

The easiest technique for losing helicopters (by far) is to find a nearby underground parking garage, hop on in and close the gate behind you. They can be difficult to find on some of the islands (the parking garages), but deep in the city, they're fairly prevalent.

I've used the disable helicopter method all of once, and that was only when I was dicking around on foot while trying to see how long I could last.

Keep an eye on the XML mods floating around.
Here's the best looking one so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx6WedMwj7Q

Source:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=389848

Keep in mind the version "1.0" posted in that thread has some issues with shadows.

Thanks for posting that, apparently his 2.0 will bring it to E3 level graphics, but performance suffers. He also mentions that he gets lots of stuttering, I haven't had any of those issues, so I'm curious how my 290 will handle his settings on 1080p.

Keep an eye on the XML mods floating around.
Here's the best looking one so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx6WedMwj7Q

Source:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=389848

Keep in mind the version "1.0" posted in that thread has some issues with shadows.

any changes you can make in the gamerprofile.xml are already available in the game's options menu other than supersampling and alpha aa which are a. broken and/or b. unusable on today's gpus. the only real change he made in that video is lowering his brightness. the fact that he wrote "bloom" in his list of changes should be a dead giveaway that this guy has no idea what he's doing.

Last edited:
Back