Watch Dogs

Just finished. Story really picks up at the end, with a nice reveal.
Last couple of missions were refreshing too, compared to the rest of the game.

Story overall fell flat, mostly because I murdered more people than everyone other character in the game combined. For some reason the game treats me like some kind of Batman, a mysterious hero. I'm no better than any other mass murder.

Weird game.
Uninstalled, moving on.

If you compare the evolution of AC to AC2. Then WD to WD2 should be a big jump. The first game is usually unpolished because it is the build out of the engine and often figuring out what works and what doesn't.

they need to add some sort of hacking rep...as it is, stealing $$ from a poor guy, rich guy, criminal is all the same with no consequences...and $$ has almost no real value because you can get the best guns/cars without buying them

still it's a fun game for what it is...'neutralizing' enemies never gets old and the cutscenes, slo-mo shots are pretty cool...they need to eliminate some of the cheesy pvp spots you can hide from invadees though...it's way too easy to hide completely out of view in bushes or dark corners after you hack them

Last edited:
I beat it & now I'm wanting to play more. I guess I'll have to wait for WD2. Overall, I enjoyed it but needs better performance & higher visual fidelity. I really hope they introduce pure stealth/pacifist methods to completing all missions.

they need to add some sort of hacking rep...as it is, stealing $$ from a poor guy, rich guy, criminal is all the same with no consequences...and $$ has almost no real value because you can get the best guns/cars without buying them
They made the same mistake with far cry 3. Getting all the guns for free with tower unlocks completely ruined their economy. Once mods came out to remove that, all the farming and side missions you can do suddenly became more compelling because you actually wanted the cash.

wow so they are releasing DLC before they even fixed the core aspects of the game?

Double fuck you Ubi -- so glad I didn't buy this shit.

wow so they are releasing DLC before they even fixed the core aspects of the game?

Double fuck you Ubi -- so glad I didn't buy this shit.

Had you bought it though you'd know that the core aspects of the game work just fine. It's playable, it's mildly interesting and occasionally fun, but like many other games like it it's ultimately repetitive.

The Tempest in a Teapot is about people having $600 current tech gfx cards but are unable to play the game at max detail, or people having $600 old tech gfx cards but are unable to play the game at high detail with acceptable performance.

People spend more time raging about this on the forums than it takes to just complete the game at whatever setting and forget about it.

I forked out $600 for a 780, and yes, I can't play on max detail stutter free. Do I slit my wrists because of it? No, I don't care, I play at 1440p at decent frame rates at the level below max details and don't give it another thought. In the years to come there will be plenty of other games which will make proper use of the card I bought.

I forked out $600 for a 780, and yes, I can't play on max detail stutter free. Do I slit my wrists because of it? No, I don't care, I play at 1440p at decent frame rates at the level below max details and don't give it another thought. In the years to come there will be plenty of other games which will make proper use of the card I bought.

just because you've settled doesn't mean other people should. "decent" , lol.

If I knew performance was going to be this erratic I would have just gotten the PS4 version. The first 5 minutes the game looked phenomenal...and then I got into a car and suddenly Chicago got hit with a never-ending earthquake.

just because you've settled doesn't mean other people should. "decent" , lol.

Settled implies that there's another option, and there is not.
I simply accepted that if I want to play this game I have to do it at lower settings. The framerates I get are acceptable for me to enjoy the game.

Live life by the 90% rule, 10% is shit that happens and 90% is how you react to it. It is what it is, Ubi isn't going to fix the problems because they are most likely simply unfixable this late into the game development. In another 2-3 weeks no one will be talking about Watch Dogs anymore as people have moved on to other games (though we are in the summer lull, so it may take till September).

The bottom line is that there's nothing a gamer can do other than either play it with settings that make it playable or not play it at all. Done and done. Thousands of Internet forum posts about how the game stutters at Ultra won't change a thing.

I would probably view this differently if I had paid $60 for the game, but then again I would have never ever put myself into that position. I received the code for free, but to me it would have been worth $15, and at $15 I'd be fine with the game as is, there are much shittier games on Steam Early Access that cost a lot more.

Waiting for this mythical patch that is suppose to address stuttering, to enjoy the car chases.

Settled implies that there's another option, and there is not.
I simply accepted that if I want to play this game I have to do it at lower settings. The framerates I get are acceptable for me to enjoy the game.

Live life by the 90% rule, 10% is shit that happens and 90% is how you react to it. It is what it is, Ubi isn't going to fix the problems because they are most likely simply unfixable this late into the game development. In another 2-3 weeks no one will be talking about Watch Dogs anymore as people have moved on to other games (though we are in the summer lull, so it may take till September).

The bottom line is that there's nothing a gamer can do other than either play it with settings that make it playable or not play it at all. Done and done. Thousands of Internet forum posts about how the game stutters at Ultra won't change a thing.

I would probably view this differently if I had paid $60 for the game, but then again I would have never ever put myself into that position. I received the code for free, but to me it would have been worth $15, and at $15 I'd be fine with the game as is, there are much shittier games on Steam Early Access that cost a lot more.

Oh well shoot. Now it makes sense why you don't care what state the game is in. The more you know! ^_^

finally reached Act 2 and I'm enjoying the game for what it is...the pvp invasion aspect is well done and probably more fun then the main game...not as good as Dark Souls pvp but well implemented...unlike the Assassin's Creed series the side missions/mini-games are a hell of a lot more fun and don't feel as repetitive...the Missing Persons/serial killer stuff, the Digital Trip alternate universe type of missions are a fun change of pace, the open world is a beautiful sandbox to explore

performance issues aside I'm enjoying most of the gameplay

WD is still fun, the driving fast is disappointing because that is when the stutter hits.

how come everyone in the city drives alone?...there are never any passengers in any cars you hijack :p

I'm not sure what the last few patches really did, but the stuttering is insane when driving now, I used to have almost none. It sucks, I'm right near the end of the game and I can't finish it. I'll pick back up when it's not as shitty...

I'm not sure what the last few patches really did, but the stuttering is insane when driving now, I used to have almost none. It sucks, I'm right near the end of the game and I can't finish it. I'll pick back up when it's not as shitty...

I doubt if UBISOFT is serious about patching it as they don't see the value in word of mouth advertising. What I did to complete the game was grab a XBOX 360 pad and sit it right beside my keyboard. Whenever I absolutely had to drive I would use that. For some reason the game literally stutters less when it detects the 360 controller in use.

Story was enjoyable. Wasn't the best told story, but it was good enough for me. I wish I could make Aiden Pearce commit suicide; I despised him. I was a bad guy at the end, but I doubt it will have any bearing on Watch Dogs 2. Going by UBISOFT's track record, I'll be playing as Jackson's 20th grandson. I can't imagine why someone would buy DLC for this game. It is only still installed to see if the mysterious patch ever materializes and fixes the stuttering.

Story was enjoyable. Wasn't the best told story, but it was good enough for me. I wish I could make Aiden Pearce commit suicide; I despised him. I was a bad guy at the end, but I doubt it will have any bearing on Watch Dogs 2.

Yeah, that's kinda how I felt as well. His character was uninteresting and cliched, and it seemed like being good or bad really had no real effect on the game.

What really pissed me off was how long it took to get high "good" points, whereas you accidentally injure a few civvies and suddenly you are down a whole rank. Not to mention, you consistently get throw in missions where you have to evade the police, which often ends up in a high-speed chase where you will probably hit some civilians, and/or a shootout with the cops where if you shoot them in ANY way (even in the legs) you still lose points. It's a fairly rigged system against being "good". I made it to almost maximum "goodness" a couple times, only to have it ripped away by a bullshit mission that forced me to lose points.

But again, it didn't seem to affect the game too much one way or the other, so why even have it in there?

Yeah, that's kinda how I felt as well. His character was uninteresting and cliched, and it seemed like being good or bad really had no real effect on the game.

What really pissed me off was how long it took to get high "good" points, whereas you accidentally injure a few civvies and suddenly you are down a whole rank. Not to mention, you consistently get throw in missions where you have to evade the police, which often ends up in a high-speed chase where you will probably hit some civilians, and/or a shootout with the cops where if you shoot them in ANY way (even in the legs) you still lose points. It's a fairly rigged system against being "good". I made it to almost maximum "goodness" a couple times, only to have it ripped away by a bullshit mission that forced me to lose points.

But again, it didn't seem to affect the game too much one way or the other, so why even have it in there?

I was a goodie goodie two shoes until the end when they started throwing waves of police for every mission. There was literally nothing I could do with all of the stuttering to keep from running over civilians. I ended up being 50% into the evil side with an Anarchist rating. Finishing the game like that gave me even less incentive to play another moment. I don't even know what most of the Digital Trips are about as I was going to save them for when I completed the game.

The spider tank digital trip is the most fun for me. I'm not fond of Alone & Psychadelic. Madness & Conspiracy are pretty good.

how come everyone in the city drives alone?...there are never any passengers in any cars you hijack :p

It seems like there are passengers in "chase" cars (cops, fixers, etc.) but yeah, not in civilian cars...weird.

On the subject of Digital Trips...the only one I really liked to any extent was the Spider Tank one, and even that got fairly repetitive after a short while. The rest were not all that interesting to me.

Was anyone able to get the Darkness Looms Trophy (the serial killer missions)? The icon for the final mission isn't showing up for me anywhere. The Internet says that it's in the trailerpark in Pawnee but there's nothing there.

Did you complete all the investigations?
As soon as you scan the last one, the serial killer should call your phone and then Aiden traces it to the trailer park.

Did you complete all the investigations?
As soon as you scan the last one, the serial killer should call your phone and then Aiden traces it to the trailer park.

I have done 6/7. No more missing person investigation waypoint icons are available. I never got the call. I have six audio logs. Maybe I didn't scan one of the bodies, I don't know, will go back through all the waypoints and see what's what.

Well, there's this:

ir6tfKC.jpg

Sadly he didn't enjoy the ride and was taking a permanent nap.

The last investigation unlocks during the campaign missions @ Pawnee.
That was it! Thanks!

So is this game worth trying? I have sli 780s and play at 1440p. I can also buy it on ps4 since I'm reading so many negative comments about the pc version.

Back