Watch Dogs

the more I play the more I don't get the hate on the graphics...the gameworld as a whole looks stunning...the lighting in particular...beautifully rendered city of Chicago...low res textures are there but overall this an amazing looking open world game...

it has its moments but i wouldn't call it amazing, more like what games should've looked like post-crysis 1. i think a lot of the problem is that the game largely takes place in the city. pawnee is great looking. i love that area so much.

the more I play the more I don't get the hate on the graphics...the gameworld as a whole looks stunning...the lighting in particular...beautifully rendered city of Chicago...low res textures are there but overall this an amazing looking open world game...

Because they set us up with a much better looking trailer, got a ton of hype from it for being a "next gen" game and then pulled hte rug from under us.

The lighting is ok at dusk/dawn and night (with rain) However during the day time (which is where the majority of the game is spent) the lighting is very flat, the shadows are subpar (baked) and it loses a lot of the "dynamic" sense that the E3 trailer set the game up with the wind and other effects that are just flat out missing.

Because they set us up with a much better looking trailer, got a ton of hype from it for being a "next gen" game and then pulled hte rug from under us.

The lighting is ok at dusk/dawn and night (with rain) However during the day time (which is where the majority of the game is spent) the lighting is very flat, the shadows are subpar (baked) and it loses a lot of the "dynamic" sense that the E3 trailer set the game up with the wind and other effects that are just flat out missing.

the lighting in the game is completely dynamic.

Pulled the trigger on this last night. I'm definitely getting a little stutter. It seems to be related to the camera on my system. Do these stutter fixes work pretty well? I'm assuming they'll work fine with the Steam version, right?

is the only way to reduce stutter by lowering the Texture setting or is there something else to try as well?

Pulled the trigger on this last night. I'm definitely getting a little stutter. It seems to be related to the camera on my system. Do these stutter fixes work pretty well? I'm assuming they'll work fine with the Steam version, right?

None of the stutter fixes work.. Placebo at best

Actually I stand corrected.. Supposely Maldos mod fixes stuttering but at a cost of unbearable aliasing.. He played around with normal and high textures removing mip maps. It works but in all honesty looks like crap

is the only way to reduce stutter by lowering the Texture setting or is there something else to try as well?
It seems to be related to a very specific combination of settings. I found it pretty minimal at the settings I was running (High textures; TXAA; regular HBAO?), but I don't really have a point of comparison at to what's minimal and what's extreme. I'm fairly intolerant of stutter, though, so I suspect what I experience is on the low end of the severity scale.

It's a vram problem, yes?
Reduce vram usage. Problem solved...

3 GB card? Use High.
Less than 3 GB? Use Medium.
4 GB or more? Use Ultra.

No MSAA, ever. Enjoy your stutter-free Watch Dogs.
There is no fix, there will never be a fix, and certainly some shitty mod won't fix it.

It's too bad that below High (and even on High in a lot of instances) the textures look like shit and aren't even close to justifying the VRAM usage.

Latest NVIDIA beta drivers and TheWorse's v0.7 patch file eliminated the stutter on my system. From playing around with the settings in the game, texture size probably actually has the smallest impact on performance out of all the options available on 3GB+ video cards (I use GTX 780 SLI, myself). But nothing you can change in the game will actually get rid of the stuttering.

I love that the invisible walls/barriers that surround most open world games is well implemented here...you can travel around forever without reaching a barrier or alert that warns you to turn back...going out by boat is beautiful...you can travel through so many unique areas and parts of the city...very good world building by Ubisoft...should have known they would get this right because of their experience with the AC games

anyone try the new amd 14.6 RC2 drivers that supposedly improve framepacing in CF?

This mod has been absolutely clusterfucked.
The only way to use it is via this absolutely retarded (and broken) config tool.

I love that the invisible walls/barriers that surround most open world games is well implemented here...you can travel around forever without reaching a barrier or alert that warns you to turn back...going out by boat is beautiful...you can travel through so many unique areas and parts of the city...very good world building by Ubisoft...should have known they would get this right because of their experience with the AC games

Oh? I thought i saw in some video that you can't hop over fences and stuff because of silly invisible walls... perhaps the video just made it look more prevalent than it is.

Oh? I thought i saw in some video that you can't hop over fences and stuff because of silly invisible walls... perhaps the video just made it look more prevalent than it is.

I honestly haven't seen 1 barrier yet but I haven't really explored the limits of the city yet...you can't hop over every fence depending on the height but this is a really nice sandbox to play in...jumping on trains, boats, motorcycles etc and just taking in the neighborhoods and sights is a lot of fun...I haven't even progressed much in the main mission because I'm enjoying the pvp hacking aspect

I never played any of the GTA games so maybe that adds to my enjoyment of Watch Dogs

It's too bad that below High (and even on High in a lot of instances) the textures look like shit and aren't even close to justifying the VRAM usage.

I do not even have the game and can see that. Ubi needs to optimize their title.

I went out by Boat and I distinctly remember reaching a wall or something similar, I can't remember exactly, but it definitely wasn't like other open world games when you can just cruise forever in the water (even san andreas had this I believe)

Maybe they changed it in the latest patch though.

I went out by Boat and I distinctly remember reaching a wall or something similar, I can't remember exactly, but it definitely wasn't like other open world games when you can just cruise forever in the water (even san andreas had this I believe)

I thought some took a globe effect to it. Like traveling far enough to one side will bring you to the other side (thus "circling the globe").

I didn't phrase my last post right...there are barriers but it's better then most other open world games...you can travel around for what seems like a long time before hitting any barriers...I never felt restricted in where I wanted to go while playing Watch Dogs

I tried to get the patch, but it's 800MB and Mega was just sitting there for more than an hour without even starting the download. I'll try again today.

Picked this up last night. Whoever here said that it was a stuttering bag of dicks wasn't joking. Even turning the settings down to low is practically unplayable.

Got through the intro just fine, other than the occasional "loading" pause, but as soon as I got to the driving section the bad stutter began. It's a combination of hangs that last for several seconds and microstutters that make driving impossible. Seems to be pretty smooth when first starting up the game, but as soon as you take off somewhere driving fast it begins, and then never completely goes away.

Here's hoping they fix it soon.

0.8 without the stupid texture patch is only 50 MB.
Wow. I think I'll be sticking with my modified version of v0.7 for the time being.

Picked this up last night. Whoever here said that it was a stuttering bag of dicks wasn't joking. Even turning the settings down to low is practically unplayable.

Got through the intro just fine, other than the occasional "loading" pause, but as soon as I got to the driving section the bad stutter began. It's a combination of hangs that last for several seconds and microstutters that make driving impossible. Seems to be pretty smooth when first starting up the game, but as soon as you take off somewhere driving fast it begins, and then never completely goes away.

Here's hoping they fix it soon.
There is an official patch being released for it in the coming days that promises to improve some of the performance issues. But in the meantime TheWorse's mod actually improves performance while also improving image fidelity.

Wow. I think I'll be sticking with my modified version of v0.7 for the time being.
The texture "fix" is optional. It's called Ultra Textures hack.
0.8 has a lot of problems with wind effects, trees are currently glitching out and Aiden's coat no longer blows in the breeze.

JcTDWYz.png

The texture "fix" is optional. It's called Ultra Textures hack.
0.8 has a lot of problems with wind effects, trees are currently glitching out and Aiden's coat no longer blows in the breeze.
Well specifically I was talking about the size of the mod without the texture pack. 50MB is a lot. Without looking at the package, this tells me that whomever wrote the config program has no idea what they're doing, and I'm not running some program that was just thrown together on my computer with no afterthought. Just looking at the screenshot also tells me that they were more concerned with aesthetics and visuals than functionality.

The Ubisoft patch is 50 MB, which is [supposed to be] included with the mod.
The installed mod, without the Ubi patch, is about 1.5 MB.

But in the meantime TheWorse's mod actually improves performance while also improving image fidelity.

I'm currently using SweetFX with the GTA IV Enhanced Profile and the game looks great for the most part...is TheWorse mod better in terms of image quality?

I'm currently using SweetFX with the GTA IV Enhanced Profile and the game looks great for the most part...is TheWorse mod better?

imo no.. Performance was worse.. It was raining all the time, aliasing, the tree animations are fubar don't react to wind and weather and Aidens coat doesn't react to wind either.

imo no.. Performance was worse.. It was raining all the time, aliasing, the tree animations are fubar don't react to wind and weather and Aidens coat doesn't react to wind either.

thanks, I'll stick with SweetFX then

Hey guys, perhaps this has been answered elsewhere but a cursory search didn't reveal anything specific to the latest version.

It has come to my attention that there are certain unlockable items that seem to be only accessible via online play, even for "single player" mode. You can see in the Progression/Skills display (the "purple" area) for instance, that the "SO .45ACP" firearm is unlocked seemingly only by playing in an online mode. There's a certain car variant like this as well. In addition, I see there are "Notoriety" skills that have to do with online play as well, but it seems that those are more or less online-specific bonuses, so I'd understand if they weren't accessible in offline mode. It would be very disappointing if certain single-player usable weapons and items are only unlocked via online/multiplayer play!

Has anyone found a way to unlock the "SO .45ACP" and similar items without playing online? It would be great if there was just a plain offline way to unlock them normally, but if not I'd also be interested if there was a console command or something similar to do so. Sigh. It seems like it could be an interesting open world title and could be fun online and off, but it seems that there are an increasing number of horrid missteps that Ubisoft has made that I certainly don't wish to support; locking weapons/cars/items that are usable in single player exclusively through online play would be yet another step down the wrong path, but I won't judge until I can confirm for sure.

Thanks!

No, you can't unlock them. Some of them might be purchasable through the in-game stores with cash, but not the gun you mentioned.
The five-finger discount unlocker doesn't have them either. The only way is by playing online.

There is an official patch being released for it in the coming days that promises to improve some of the performance issues. But in the meantime TheWorse's mod actually improves performance while also improving image fidelity.

Yeah, I gave that a shot, it may have helped only slightly to be honest, but it's still pretty bad. Meanwhile I tried adding the --disablepagefilecheck switch to the shortcut, along with running in borderless window mode, and that actually seems to have solved nearly all stuttering for right now.

With that being said, how do you uninstall TheWorse's mod? I didn't see any instructions for that on his thread AFAIK.

Back