WarZ is the worst game I have ever played discussion thread

In the real world there are consequences for the asshats being asshats though, like getting their ass kicked or getting thrown in jail or getting killed. There's no serious consequence to being an asshat in a game like this. They don't care that you fought them off, they think it's funny that they kept 5 other people from doing anything but dealing with them for hours on end.

If game devs don't do anything to discourage asshattery then it doesn't matter what the game is supposed to be about, the game becomes "Deal With Asshats", and not many people want to play that game. Sure you had fun that one time you did it and maybe one or two of the other 4 did but are you still going to be having fun doing it a year for now after having dealt with asshats for hours a night every night for the previous year?

Another reason you can't compare game asshattery with RL is because you can't quit RL and go do something else, you have to deal with the asshats and as I mentioned before the dealings tend to be harsh in order to discourage future asshattery. But when a game dev lets the asshats win in their games, people DO have the option to quit and do something else, and they will, then all that's left is the asshats and anti-asshats crying in the forums that the servers are shutting down soon.

So, basically, War-Z has turned into Day-Z.

Says a lot about gamers. This is why I don't socialize.

I haven't read the book but from what everyone is saying, the trailer looks nothing like what happens in the book.

I haven't read the book but from what everyone is saying, the trailer looks nothing like what happens in the book.

It's very true but I don't know how they could have made a good movie out of the book otherwise. The book is interviews with people all over the world after the war. It doesn't focus on one person.

They should have just gone with another title. Brad Pitt and zombies is going to sell now matter what you call it.

Well, from what I read of the book (about half-ish), it's a bunch of semi-disjointed stories from different locations and characters. So really not a book that lends itself too well to a movie, other than the overall theme of "omg zombies".

some of the interviews do tie into eachother. this movie was supposed to be part of a trilogy (which I could see happening) but then theyve gone through a shot load of screenplay rewrites and the script now looks horrible. the original script would have been perfect.

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

haven't played it, but it's certainly the dumbest name I've ever heard. Don't know why it bugs me but it does. What does it even mean?? The war Z? warcee?

It's very true but I don't know how they could have made a good movie out of the book otherwise. The book is interviews with people all over the world after the war. It doesn't focus on one person.

They should have just gone with another title. Brad Pitt and zombies is going to sell now matter what you call it.
I think it would have made a very interesting movie. I don't care that it didn't focus on any one person, I would watch it anyways, because it's a good story. But, that's just me.

ObiDamnKenobi said:
I haven't played it, but it's certainly the dumbest name I've ever heard. Don't know why it bugs me but it does. What does it even mean?? The war Z? warcee?
Considering there is a book, now movie, called World War Z, I assume that's why they named the game that. The War against Zombies. It's a little awkward, but it works I guess.

Here, maybe the trailer for World War Z will make you feel better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md6Dvxdr0AQ&feature=g-hist

Nope. That trailer basically tore out any hope I had for the zombie genre, stomped on it, then shat all over it. Like a giant cannon loaded to the brim with shit, but not just any shit, homeless junkie shit....

Just like how the Walking Dead show is fucking trash compared to the graphic novels(dont deny it, anyone who has read the books knows the show is a fucking joke), this trailer looks to have launched a B52 loaded with shit that will drop cluster bombs of crap all over anyone who loves the writings of Max Brooks.
World War Z is an excellent book, fucking awesome. The audiobook is so good I get a little retarded happy when I even think about it. Its loaded on my ipod all the time and I listen to it every few weeks.
It does not however, translate into a single movie.
Considering the trailer looks to show that the movie has NOTHING to do with the books, I dont see how this will be anything but a bastardization of the book.
Tack it to a PG13 rating and we have a mega shit storm.

My issues with the trailer;
Opening scene shows a surprise outbreak in a large euro or american city. Bullshit, WWZ's outbreak starts in China and spreads over months to other countries. euro or american cities dont get hit until the great panic, and even then its a gradual outbreak.
Running Zombies. Holy fuck, the T. Sean Collins story specifically states that Zack cant run.
....And shit, none of the characters from the book...the only thing it shares is the title. FFS, even in the wiki it states that the movie has nothing to do with the book.

Why not just make a movie on the initial China outbreak, the human/infected smuggling, or just a movie on the battle of Yonkers...That would be fucking epic.

The whole zombie thing is popular as shit now. So turn the book into a bunch of movies.
Take the exciting stories and make a bunch of movies in chronological order, and make mini-web shows of the slower stories to fill in the production time. They could have made 4-5 movies over as many years, made them great and stayed true to the book.

WWZ could have been epic, but instead we get a PG13 shitstain.

Your doing yourself an injustice if you dont read the book, or atleast get your hands on the audiobook; its fantastic.

The audiobook cast is great, some highlights:
Alan Alda - Star of MASH
Carl Reiner - done everything
Jürgen Prochnow - Das Boot, Beverly Hills Cop, Judge Dredd
Dean Edwards - SNL
Mark Hamill - Luke fucking skywalker (does an excellent job in this audiobook)
Henry Rollins - Black Flag, Sons of Anarchy, piles more.
Eamonn Walker - Oz
John Turturro - Big Lebowski, Transformers, etc
Rob Reiner - A few good men
Becky Ann Baker - Freaks and Geeks.
and more...

Last edited:
Why not just make a movie on the initial China outbreak, the human/infected smuggling, or just a movie on the battle of Yonkers...That would be fucking epic. and more...

Kinda like a Zombie version of that Outbreak movie with Dustin Hoffman. I'd like that, it'd be a slightly altered twist to the genre.

Another reason you can't compare game asshattery with RL is because you can't quit RL and go do something else, you have to deal with the asshats and as I mentioned before the dealings tend to be harsh in order to discourage future asshattery. But when a game dev lets the asshats win in their games, people DO have the option to quit and do something else, and they will, then all that's left is the asshats and anti-asshats crying in the forums that the servers are shutting down soon.

Precisely. The problem is that in a game people who aren't having fun can and will just leave, and whatever kind of "punishments" the game has aren't permanent. That leads to griefers ruling the day unless the developers make sure it can't happen.

I mean compare two situations:

IRL: Someone tries to break in to my house to kill me and take my stuff. If they do that, and fail, it will cost them their life probably because I will shoot them. Even should they succeed, they are likely to get caught, arrested, and sentenced to life in prison. Basically they have one and only one shot at it. If they fail, that failure is likely to cost them everything. Hence, we don't see much of it.

In game: Someone tries to break in to my house/base/whatever to kill me and take my stuff. I kill them, they then go and wait to respawn, and then try again, and again, and again until they succeed. Their only penalty is having to wait, they can just keep trying until it works.

Hence why you don't see so much of that in real life (though it does happen) but in a game it'll go on all the time.

Given that, the griefers will do their thing and people will get pissed off, they'll just leave. We don't lack for video games these days, they'll find one of the many, many other games to play.

You just have to have in-game griefer control, otherwise it ends up being nothing but.

Back