Warm? FX-4100 @ $118 shipped directron

ten bucks cheaper then the X4 965 so really not warm. fair price though

omg i just read review where the i3 2120 pretty much demolishes the fx-4100. thats pathetic that a dual core with hyperthreading can destroy a true quad core running at 400MHz higher frequency.

omg i just read review where the i3 2120 pretty much demolishes the fx-4100. thats pathetic that a dual core with hyperthreading can destroy a true quad core running at 400MHz higher frequency.

cool story bro

cool story bro

not a story, its the truth. if youre an amd nuthugger go ahead buy inferior hardware. i for one just buy whatever is the better product on the market regardless of name.

not a story, its the truth. if youre an amd nuthugger go ahead buy inferior hardware. i for one just buy whatever is the better product on the market regardless of name.

Then link the review.

Until then, cool story.

Gosh I didn't post for it to become a bash fest, but there ARE certain reasons to get an FX-4100 instead of an i3. Not everyone is a gamer. If you can't figure out reasons to own an FX-4100 over an i3-2100, then you aren't [H]

Sheesh.

Its not a "true quad core" when the new AMD chips are a bunch of half cores mashed together. All AMD has done is lowered the bar for what a "core" is in hopes people blind buy under the assumption more is better.

Last edited:
Its not a "true quad core" when the new AMD chips are a bunch of half cores mashed together. All AMD has done is lowered the bar for what a "core" is in hopes people blind buy under the assumption "MOAR IS BETTUR"

Preach it!

Its not a "true quad core" when the new AMD chips are a bunch of half cores mashed together. All AMD has done is lowered the bar for what a "core" is in hopes people blind buy under the assumption "MOAR IS BETTUR"

Even though it's not a " TRUE quad core " the fact that AMD claims it to be and sells it that way, I can vouche that it too is pathetic being compared to an i3, a dual core processor and losing in some benches.

If AMD is to release new processors, atleast try to give some competition.

It is new, it could be fun to see what it can do, and lots of people ignore best buy reccommendations,
ENJOY.

955 != fx-4100. Got a better price for the FX-4100?

It may not be the same chip, but if it goes in the same motherboard and outperforms the FX-4100 for a lower cost then I would think that is perfectly relevant to the deal.

It may not be the same chip, but if it goes in the same motherboard and outperforms the FX-4100 for a lower cost then I would think that is perfectly relevant to the deal.

It trades blows with other cpus in common benchmarks, but It is _new_. It has new features (such as AES) and some other stuff you may want that other cpu's in that pricerange don't have.

It is NOT objectively worse in every use case. I'm looking for a better deal on FX-4100. I haven't found one. Yet all these people who think they "know better" keep dumping in my thread.....It gets tiring.

Not a true quad core. Its a dual module CPU.

Also, you cant overclock the i3, where as the 4100 can reach any where from 4.5-5Ghz daily depending on your cooling and mobo.

I would like to try an FX4100, but no question about it the AMD 955 BE is the better value in just about every situation... especially when 955 usually on sale around $105 after coupon codes and stuff.

my last 955be ran 4.2ghz on stock voltage with corsair h60 cooler. The FX series starts to look a lot better when you imagine them as such:

FX4100 (dual core replacement)
FX6100 (tripple core replacement)
FX8100 (quad core replacement)

Sure they claim to have more cores, but they dont perform as such...

Not a true quad core. Its a dual module CPU.

Also, you cant overclock the i3, where as the 4100 can reach any where from 4.5-5Ghz daily depending on your cooling and mobo.
and by the time you get a better cooler, and an adequate power supply to run a 4100 oced, you have spent way more money just to match or barely beat the i3 while using a shit ton more power. at that point you might as well buy the i5 2400 which can be oced on the turbo. you can then blow that overclocked 4100 away while still using way less power.

The people buying BDs arent buying them to be practicle, they are buying them to have fun with them. And the 8 series is actually a pretty darn good CPU if you actual do stuff that uses all of it.

Ive decided to sell my llano 631 setup and get try an FX4100. They just look so fun to overclock i cant resist.. havent decided on a motherboard yet.

I would keep my llano, but i hate the motherboard layout. cant run my 5830 in crossfire because the 16x slots are so close together.

Ive decided to sell my llano 631 setup and get try an FX4100. They just look so fun to overclock i cant resist.. havent decided on a motherboard yet.

I would keep my llano, but i hate the motherboard layout. cant run my 5830 in crossfire because the 16x slots are so close together.

Just keep in mind you are going from a quad core to basically a dual core with hyperthreading. Really are better off with a 955 BE to tinker with if you want AMD imo. You can still get an AM3+ mobo for a better BD revision that may come out in the next year or two.

What compelled you to get a Llano and A75 setup for crossfire in the first place? Seems like a really odd setup.

If so, it was only where they had the same clock speed. Seeing as how the P3 went to 1 GHz and beyond and the P2 topped out at around 450 MHz, the P3 is the clear winner.

on cpubenchmark.net the p3-1.4ghz dual cpu is rated at 652, about the same as atom d330/510 :)

I would like to try an FX4100, but no question about it the AMD 955 BE is the better value in just about every situation... especially when 955 usually on sale around $105 after coupon codes and stuff.

my last 955be ran 4.2ghz on stock voltage with corsair h60 cooler. The FX series starts to look a lot better when you imagine them as such:

FX4100 (dual core replacement)
FX6100 (tripple core replacement)
FX8100 (quad core replacement)

Sure they claim to have more cores, but they dont perform as such...

LoL, after bashing the FX4100 i just ordered one. Mainly because ive already owned multiple 955/965 and i want something new to tweak, overclock, play with. i got mine for a decent deal too. $199 with 970 motherboard from compusa.

LoL, after bashing the FX4100 i just ordered one. Mainly because ive already owned multiple 955/965 and i want something new to tweak, overclock, play with. i got mine for a decent deal too. $199 with 970 motherboard from compusa.

Yeah I would try it... the 8150 seemed to match 2600k on BF3 according to [H]ard...... so the 4100 is nice alternative to 955/965.

Back