Waiting for Haswell?

I heard non K versions of Haswell (T versions) would have locked straps. Only K version would have straps for sure.

how much longer do you think for mini-itx b/c i have to finish my build before i move -_-

excellent question. And one im hoping to be answered in May at the electronics show. I sure hope they have models on display so one of the review sites can give us a scoop on feature set and release date.

I wish Bitfenix would release an exact copy of the Prodigy case, but with size adjustments to suit a micro atx board.

I didn't wait for Haswell because the differences between the 3770k and 4770k would be minimal for I do. I'll have an Asus Sabertooth Z77 and 3770k on Wednesday. :cool:

I heard non K versions of Haswell (T versions) would have locked straps. Only K version would have straps for sure.

Will pretty much the same on K series with unlocked multipliers up to x80 (so 8GHZ without touch the blck?? Just crazy), now the difference its the blck have 3 bases 100-125-165 as far i know, with a tolerance of extra 5-7% per base if we do that they blck can be raised to 173?, so between 65% to 73% increased performance for non K models without touch any voltage??... Thats a big change on the limits of OC, cuz the main base blck on haswell remain at 100mhz...

I didn't wait for Haswell because the differences between the 3770k and 4770k would be minimal for I do. I'll have an Asus Sabertooth Z77 and 3770k on Wednesday. :cool:

At stock the difference would be minimal... For OC purposse the difference will be abismal...

Can't say I'm waiting for it. Sure the BLC at 170 pic looked promising, but it doesn't delivery anything overly new on to the table, it's not significantly faster then sandy or ivy, so why change ?

I plan on upgrading from my 920. I've waited this long, no point in getting ivy now.

really? what kind of clocks? what source?

Read my answer above and you will see... Think in a hypotetical 4770k blck 100mhz and multiplier x35 for 3.5ghz non turbo... In haswell you can boost the blck in 2 more fases 125 and 167 (check the link: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6898/intel-details-haswell-overclocked-at-idf-beijing) why this numbers? In the link are very specified but its cuz the integrated chip controller have 3 diferent dividers to keep the pci and dmi frequencies untouched... So in paper you could select a blck of 167mhz x35 to a total of 5.8ghz of OC WITHOUT touch any other spec... So what now if are a bit touched the blck to 175mhz appealing for the 5% max tolerance of extra blck.. X35 = 6.1 GHZ without any touch of multiplier or voltage... What if used a 40x multiplier (for the max 80x will be available for unloked chips) 175mhz x40 = 7.0ghz.. Without touch voltage... What could the possibilty of a chip of that type?... Some people and friends are thinking leting out the paper on a minium 6.5ghz without any trouble... And 8ghz+ for enthusiast oc'er... You can do that with a ivy without any problem?... Also with the new voltage integrated regulator on chip the impact on temps for increased voltage will be less... Even intel said the new vccin can be adjusted on the 1.8-2.3v with a max of 3.04. That make a big difference in the handle of temps...

Last edited:
Will pretty much the same on K series with unlocked multipliers up to x80 (so 8GHZ without touch the blck?? Just crazy), now the difference its the blck have 3 bases 100-125-165 as far i know, with a tolerance of extra 5-7% per base if we do that they blck can be raised to 173?, so between 65% to 73% increased performance for non K models without touch any voltage??... Thats a big change on the limits of OC, cuz the main base blck on haswell remain at 100mhz...

You misunderstand.

Look at this site: http://www.chinadiy.com.cn/html/45/n-8845.html

Brief translation of the Chinese article(Main points only, too lazy to translate the whole thing)

Title: Disappointment: only haswell with K support overclock with blck

The site received screenshot of cpu-z showing blck of 184.82Mhz on an i7 earlier and has now received an i7 4770k and a e3-1280 and is investigating them.
First screenshot shows that the 4770k can indeed do blck and multiplyer overclock as expected.
2nd screenshot of the e-3 1280 shows blck of 100mhz. They tried multiple z87 mobo and found the blck option grayed out and cannot overclock it.
They conclude only the K series of i5 and i7 have unlocked multiplier and blck, and will further investigate the samples they got.
Translation by Calbert.

If this wasn't caused by a combination of an engineering sample and early MB, it's a bomb.

Last edited:
Godamn that's a shame. I really wanted to get back into dual-core overclocking with strapping an i3.

I plan on upgrading from my 920. I've waited this long, no point in getting ivy now.

same here. i'm on an amd 1090t @ 3.9 ghz, planned on getting ivy but hoped for 5+ ghz overclocks, and the graphics card was the more urgend upgrade. now i guess we won't see big jumps in cpu performance soon, so there is no alternative to haswell.

Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere but are Haswell CPU's soldered again or same like Ivy?

I've got a 2600K and I'm waiting on Haswell. Been ready to upgrade since January, but decided to hold out. It may not be that big of an upgrade, but I'm going to put the 2600K to good use doing video capture and streaming. Its really an upgrade to my secondary computer more than my primary, my secondary will go from E8500 to 2600K, my primary from 2600K to 4770K.

I got my 2600K when it first came out, dealt with the Sata bug and recall and all. I'm interested if there's going to be many speedups on the motherboard tech side of things, we already know that the CPU will likely be another 10% on top of the 10% that was Ivy (that I skipped). The new motherboards should have PCIe 3.0, more unshared PCIe lanes, and other stuff that may or may not make any noticeable difference. Assuming I get around the same overclock, I'm looking at about a 20% increase in speed, but the new motherboard advances may push it a bit higher.

I've gambled for 3 months now that its going to be worth it, nothing other than a USB 3.0 bug to change my mind now, and that wasn't enough to sway me.

Same boat as you are.

Just waiting to see what kind of OC people start getting on them before I upgrade.

I'm on an E8400, and I plan on going balls out with Haswell. 4770k, 32gb ram, most feature rich motherboard I can get my hands on. Then I won't upgrade for either another 4 to 5 years or if someone decides to Conroe the industry. Honestly, that's what it takes to really blow one's mind with an upgrade, otherwise it's not really worth it for 1/4[H] people like me.

I'm on an E8400, and I plan on going balls out with Haswell. 4770k, 32gb ram, most feature rich motherboard I can get my hands on. Then I won't upgrade for either another 4 to 5 years or if someone decides to Conroe the industry. Honestly, that's what it takes to really blow one's mind with an upgrade, otherwise it's not really worth it for 1/4[H] people like me.

I think the number is higher than 1/4. I upgraded too from E8400 to i7 2600. And i'll skip haswell and broadwell.. I'll upgrade on skylake if my actual system make it possible, the only way to upgrade if is my actual system are broken... This could help to spend some money in other things like GPU

I think the number is higher than 1/4. I upgraded too from E8400 to i7 2600. And i'll skip haswell and broadwell.. I'll upgrade on skylake if my actual system make it possible, the only way to upgrade if is my actual system are broken... This could help to spend some money in other things like GPU

Yeah we think alike, I won't be upgrading my gpu right now, the only reason I bought a 560 Ti last week is because my 4890 crapped out. I'll probably get the GTX 780 or 880 then forget about the gpu for several years until high quality 4K monitors are at $500 then I'll jump on whatever can run that. This is probably 5 to 6 years away lol.

I'm in that 5 year upgrade cycle as well.

Any word on when us regular customers will be able to purchase mobo's and CPU's? I'm ready to pull the trigger to move off of my E7200 and P35. But, instead of Ivy Bridge, I might as well jump straight to Haswell. Unless the retail date gets pushed back too far. Will we see Haswell availible on retail shelves before August? Is this June date the retail availiblilty date? Or just the announcement date? I'm seeing leaked z87 motherboards, but nothing solid yet.

We are at the 30 day mark, I think, right? Shouldn't we be seeing retailers prepping for the new products?

Yeah june its at the end of may first 2 weeks of june when haswell will be available.. That date could be may, but i think its retrased just for the fact of some issues with somes MOBO.. At the first moment that intel announce the exact day of release should be available the new series of MOBO open to the public... Normal time i think its 2 or 3, weeks before the release of the processor in a new socket...

I'm trying to get a few buddies that work at Microcenter to confirm when Haswell will hit them, I'll update you guys as soon as I know.

Lost my motherboard last Monday and was having this same debate - a good friend of mine is an engineer at one of the fabs out in Hillsboro, OR, and his advice to me was if I was concerned with saving a few watts of power, wait for Haswell; if not, just get the current i7 and move on. So that's what I'm doing.

Lost my motherboard last Monday and was having this same debate - a good friend of mine is an engineer at one of the fabs out in Hillsboro, OR, and his advice to me was if I was concerned with saving a few watts of power, wait for Haswell; if not, just get the current i7 and move on. So that's what I'm doing.

Or you can wait few days more, when the price start to drop due to the arrival of IB, yoy can save some money too... If not wanna save money it truly worth to wait for haswell.. If you cant wait.. Well.. Nothing much can be done.. Just go on with Ivy Bridge...

Or you can wait few days more, when the price start to drop due to the arrival of IB, yoy can save some money too... If not wanna save money it truly worth to wait for haswell.. If you cant wait.. Well.. Nothing much can be done.. Just go on with Ivy Bridge...

I was fortunate enough to have him purchase me one at his price, which is a pretty significant savings over retail :cool: Helps having friends in places sometimes!

True, but 1155 is a dead socket. I'd rather wait, buy 1150, then upgrade that if need be (and if cheap enough) when people dump their 'tick' processors for skylake.

I will hold on to my i7 2600k a couple more years. Fact is if you play games now days with a single monitor the latest intel haswell/amd cpus with the internal gpu will run most games good. Being most games are just console ports and the new consoles to come out will be just slightly better the need of having dedicated graphics cards, sound cards etc are ending.

As someone that's been using a Q6600 since 2008, I'm definitely holding out for Haswell.

Now I'm left wondering if HyperThreading is really worth it.

Well I wonder if I shouldn't pay more and wait for Ivy Bridge-E.
Better MBs (no D-SUB), more bandwidth because of quad channel, more cache, and bit more reliable CPUs.

Gonna be upgrading right around the time BF4 comes out. Hopefully mobos/coolers/oc'ing will be sorted out by then.

As someone that's been using a Q6600 since 2008, I'm definitely holding out for Haswell.

Now I'm left wondering if HyperThreading is really worth it.

8 threads is about to be come the new norm for games, so I would say so.

I will hold on to my i7 2600k a couple more years. Fact is if you play games now days with a single monitor the latest intel haswell/amd cpus with the internal gpu will run most games good. Being most games are just console ports and the new consoles to come out will be just slightly better the need of having dedicated graphics cards, sound cards etc are ending.

I think in a yes and no... At least not at this moment that will see when haswell arrival, but atm, the iGPU on i7 ivy (HD4000) can run all the games yes, but all on lower settings and not more than 1440x900 or 1366x768 if want some options in medium.. I tested on a i7 3770k that a friend gave me to try a couple of days to see if worth to upgrade my 2600 and not.. I really do not like the HD4000, now intel say that their new 'iris" igpu will be 2x more powerfull than the HD4000 that has to be tested..

I'm skipping this one, just finished my Ivy build 6 months ago. Intel sockets are kinda dead on arrival. While still fitting into the same socket the "tick" always requires the newer chipset for certain features and therefore a new motherboard, see 1155 PCIe 3.0 with Ivy. I think Skylake will be my next upgrade.

Nope, for the PC games I play, my 2500K is enough. For others, I rather get PS4 than spend money on upgrade giving me about 5% more FPS in games.

My next upgrade of PC will be when DDR4 hits the boards.

I really don't understand why people pair awesome CPUs with shitty GPUs. The only time CPUs are remotely stressed nowadays is basically just in games, and that's only IF you have an awesome GPU to pair it with. Really...why spend twice as much on a CPU that's twice as powerful when only ~1/4 of it will ever be used in even the least GPU bound games around...people should buy a balanced machine for the same price that runs games at 5x the framerate at the same settings..

I really don't understand why people pair awesome CPUs with shitty GPUs. The only time CPUs are remotely stressed nowadays is basically just in games, and that's only IF you have an awesome GPU to pair it with. Really...why spend twice as much on a CPU that's twice as powerful when only ~1/4 of it will ever be used in even the least GPU bound games around...people should buy a balanced machine for the same price that runs games at 5x the framerate at the same settings..

Not everyone plays games, that's why.

Been going on forever. It's called upgrading, overclocking, being a performance user.....just wanting the best.

Back