VR stand//Mannequin

Discussion in 'VR & Head-Mounted Displays' started by Krazy925, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Krazy925

Krazy925 epeen +11

Hey guys I've been messing around for a year with my VR headset and decided I could do something dope to display/hold my headset when it wasn't on my head.

My sister went to hair dressing school (not a drop out, awesome). We had a bag full of heads that ended up behind my mustang so I stole one.

The plan.....

1) Shave her head
    2) Buy a clamp stand see how it works
    3) Order 3D printed Matrix Headjack

Here is the initial picture from Sunday when I finally got moving on this project. The clamp stand arrived late last night.

Believe it or not even with the headjack being purchases along with the stand you can complete this project for under $35-$40. With a head like the one I am using it does raise the price slightly as it was a higher quality head when purchased for school.

If you guys like it I can post the updated pictures tonight and the finished pictures this week when I get the headjack in.

Thanks for any critiques or compliments!

PS This is my wife's side of the bathroom and she nearly head a heart attack.

Attached Files:

2. Hagrid

Hagrid Kyle's Boo

wat.gif

Arcygenical likes this.
  3. Krazy925

Krazy925 epeen +11

4. Krazy925

Krazy925 epeen +11

The mannequin head slides right onto the clamp.

It’s a good solution for me. BC117AF0-366C-478F-85DB-DE99B167261C.jpeg

5. deaedius

deaedius Gawd

The kids and I were talking about something very similar as a stand. The wife shot it down very quickly as she felt creeped out by it LOL!

It is a great idea.

6. Krazy925

Krazy925 epeen +11

It is creepy. Especially with the lights off. Like scream from the other room and wake me up creepy.

It’s cheaper than a lot of the custom solutions I’ve found on Etsy and the like.

I’m working on a mount for the controllers next.

7. TheSmJ

TheSmJ 2[H]4U

That thing is creepy as fuck

8. Decibel

Decibel 2[H]4U

9. CaptNumbNutz

CaptNumbNutz Bulls[H]it Master

Love it. You should take it a step further and apply some zombie makeup to it.

10. Krazy925

Krazy925 epeen +11

My wife actually puts a towel over its face when I am gone. Mind you it's in the guest room, which is a room she doesn't even look in.

I wanted to do a more Trinity like (Matrix) vibe. My fear with makeup was that it would wipe off on the cloth on the Vive.
    Maybe permanent makeup... I do have a girl who would do it for free.

More updates soon. Still waiting for the matrix headjack.

11. Youn

Youn [H]ardness Supreme

It needs a hole drilled in the mouth to complete the VR setup

Krazy925 and CaptNumbNutz like this.
  12. Superjoe

Superjoe Gawd

Why not get one of the plain foam heads from a wig store? I'm sure this could be found for cheap. Right now it looks like you're collecting body parts for your monster, but only have a head so far, so you had to find another use for it in the meantime.

13. CaptNumbNutz

CaptNumbNutz Bulls[H]it Master

Lol. They make tools just for that.
    [​IMG]

Krazy925 likes this.
  14. westrock2000

westrock2000 [H]ardForum Junkie

Believe me, way more normal than you would think. Continue with your story.

15. Krazy925

Krazy925 epeen +11

I had these from when my sister went to hair dressing school. The head was free.

Who says I’m not collecting body parts?

Would it make this more or less weird if I mention I backed over one of the heads with the mustang?

16. BecauseScience

BecauseScience [H]ard|Gawd

17. DarthBeavis

DarthBeavis [H]ardness Supreme

18. westrock2000

westrock2000 [H]ardForum Junkie

19. Supercharged_Z06

Supercharged_Z06 2[H]4U

Ok... Have to side with the creepy as fuck crowd on this one. :D

May as well mount some red LED’s in the head’s eye sockets that turn on whenever the HMD is off the mount and in use just to further run up the creep factor!

On the back to reality/practically front, leaving the HMD “mounted” on a manikin head is going to put weight on the straps and also compress the facial interface a bit. A lot less wear on the HMD just setting it on a desk. Granted, such wear&tear is going to be pretty minor, but it’ll still add up over time. Just a thought. Otherwise, if you like it, have fun and just run with it!

20. Krazy925

Krazy925 epeen +11

I don't have a huge desk because I live in an apartment. It's roughly 54" long but with a couple monitors and a giant mouse pad space becomes a premium.

Having it clamped more like a monitor actually frees up a lot of space. I thought about the face mask wear but hadn't considered the straps. Although they still feel very elastic.
    You should do a Matrix one Darth!

21. Greg Watson

Greg Watson [H]Lite

I have been looking at stands for the past couple of weeks trying to find a good one to buy. Yours turned out great but I won't lie, very creepy looking lol. I think the creepy factor makes me like it even more.

22. Krazy925

Krazy925 epeen +11

I love it and still use it. The clamp for the desk freed up more space on the counter top. I can send you the parts I finished with if interested. The heads can be pricey but you could definitely get one cheap from a hair dresser who’s graduated.

23. eclypse

eclypse 2[H]4U

Here's a good question.. does the screen turn on with it on the head?? Hehe (like does the fridge light stay on when the door is closed?).

I'd prob use my vr alot more if I could always have it plugged in. I have to keep it in a backpack tucked away as the vr setup is in the next room from the pc. :/

24. nameBrandon

nameBrandon Limp Gawd

This is by far the best VR-related thread I've ever read.