VR Games With Objectives/Progression

Discussion in 'VR & Head-Mounted Displays' started by PiERiT, May 18, 2018.

1. PiERiT

PiERiT 2[H]4U

My brain is dumb and has a hard time playing games without an objective. For instance, racing games are fun for me when there's a career mode with championships and new cars and tracks to unlock (Forza), but not fun for me when all you can do is pick a car and pick a race and do that repeatedly (Assetto Corsa).

Another example, In Death looked like a lot of fun, until I bought it and realized you just kill shit in randomly generated maps until you die, and then do that same thing again and again. I was expecting something more like an RPG where you progress your character and get gear and gain skills and such.

I grabbed Beat Saber today and it's great, but I will probably grow bored of it quickly for this reason.

So, can anyone recommend some games with progression? I don't need a story per se, just something to make me want to come back to the game to get further and further each time.

2. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Pick your own.....you deserve it.

Fallout 4 VR?

deaedius likes this.
  3. MrC4

MrC4 [H]ard|Gawd

Skyrim VR? ;)

deaedius likes this.
  4. PiERiT

PiERiT 2[H]4U

Well sure, though I already played the originals (and DOOM) back when they were released. :(

5. deaedius

deaedius Gawd

Walking in the world is a totally different experience. Hearing voices of raiders in a house not sure where they are and one shoots at you is one hell of an experience. Having a Dragon land near you or a large creature battle you in Skyrim is a whole other experience, vastly different experience than playing with a standard controller on TV or Monitor.

Tamlin_WSGF and MrC4 like this.
  6. USMCGrunt

USMCGrunt 2[H]4U

Orbus is a VRMMO...you literally skill yourself up, lol.

7. PiERiT

PiERiT 2[H]4U

I grabbed Skyrim VR for $34 off GMG; I figured that and Fallout are probably very similar and I'd rather play Skyrim again than Fallout. I'll give Orbus a shot if I end up not liking it.

Thanks guys. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

heatlesssun likes this.
  8. Tamlin_WSGF

Tamlin_WSGF 2[H]4U

A few you can look at for progression and objective:

Space pirates and zombies 2 (best seated, since its a long game).
    Simple in its design, but good VR implemantation. I found it kinda addictive. Its a space strategy game with story and objective that unfolds. You can upgrade ship from blueprint and items gained by battle and also by purchase in space stations:

Rooms the unsolvable puzzle (seated):
    A decent puzzle game where you progress by opening doors and reallign rooms to solve the puzzle. A light, relaxing game, where you can solve some puzzles now and then when you feel like a change of pace in VR gaming:

Vanishing realms (roomscale):
    Zelda like game, but on rails (aka not open world). A very good roomscale game. Not much upgradability (swords, shield, bow and wand), but you do progress to the next save point.

Skyworld (best standing):
    Strategy game with campain mode from the makers of Arizona Sunshine. There is a demo out for this you can try before buy. Build, upgrade and conquer:

Kittypocalypse (best seated):
    Tower defense strategy game. Build towers, upgrade towers, let the alien cat hordes get it. God view.

Elite dangerous (best seated):
    Slow pace space sim where you trade, fight, travel and upgrade ships along the way (warning, takes long time to get into/learn and can be a bit slow for many):

9. Hagrid

Hagrid Kyle's Boo

Story: Arizona Sunshine, The Brookhaven Experiment, I Expect You To Die

Shooters: Bullets and More, Onward, Dead Effect 2 VR,

Fun Exercise: Gorn, Drunken Bar Fight, The Thrill of the Fight, Sword Master VR,

RPG: Vanishing Realms, Trickster VR,

I played Arizona Sunshine 3x. Dead effect 2 I go and play around in sometimes. Still playing The Brookhaven Experiment since I have not finished it yet.
    I really love bullets and more and Onward. For exercise the games listed are pretty fun.

Hope this helps some.

10. RazorWind

RazorWind 2[H]4U

Elite Dangerous.