VOLTAGE Mod On A 7900GT?

yeah. the nv silencer solution is a klugy one. and the zalman one is overpriced.

I got my voltmod done! 650gpu/1800Memory. However before the mod i was running 48idle and 73 full load on the stock cooler....now with the nv5 silencer and the 1.4volt mod I am doing 45idle and 68 full load. I think my sensor is wrong becuase I was doing 40-41 idle about with 7800gt overclocked with vf700.

was the volt mod difficult? can anyone else recommend a good cooler for this card?

a vf700cu will do. i have one and will be doing this mod to my new 7900GT CO SC. will post results when i do. these things don't get that hot.. unlike the X1900 series :rolleyes:

The volt mod was a piece of cake. Although I would use masking tape next time to make it nicer looking. The ConductorWriter from radio shack uses a silver ink type of conductive. It scratches off if you mess up or want to make it cleaner looking.

its basically just drawing a line of the pcb right? are you using stock cooling?

Nv Silencer Rev 3, had to cut about 1/4inch off so it is not too long. My temps are 45idle and 68load, I dont think they are right, but it is below 70 anyways so I am fine with that.

Speed before voltmod 550/1800
Speed AFTER voltmod 650/1800 artifact free, have not tried further.

96redformula said:
Nv Silencer Rev 3, had to cut about 1/4inch off so it is not too long. My temps are 45idle and 68load, I dont think they are right, but it is below 70 anyways so I am fine with that.

Speed before voltmod 550/1800
Speed AFTER voltmod 650/1800 artifact free, have not tried further.

which version of 7900 did you get?

I did the volt mod using a conductive pen (1.3v) and I hit 650/1820 no problems . . .

Testing at 670/1820 now to see if this baby remains stable . . . using an NV Silencer 3, temps never go above 56C . . . :D

What happens if this is done on the standard 7900 GTX that normally runs 650/1600?

this is the one i'm gonna do... tonight hopefully :)

easy1-4vmod.jpg

danbanger said:
excuse my ignorance but can you use a regular lead pencil to draw the line?

No. This was asked in the other thread and they said it wouldn't work. Maybe the distance is too far and the graphite doesn't stick that well.

Use either a conductive pen or a defroster repair kit from an auto store works too.

scwam said:
What happens if this is done on the standard 7900 GTX that normally runs 650/1600?

There are different mods for the 7900GTX to raise the voltage. I believe that the GTX already runs at 1.4 so even it you could do this mod, it wouldn't help.

I believe the 7900 GTX can be volt modded in a similar fashion but you may want to do some digging on the extremesystems forums. If the GTX is already at 1.4, there are still plenty of other options to get you up to as high as 1.7V I would try going that high if I knew the chip could handle it, I'm stuck at 695/1780 with the 1.55V mod.

I would avoid using foil to perform this mod, that's for sure.

I'm hoping that the one drawing is correct and shorting what's inside the blue box together with conductive ink will net me 1.55V. I bought a Thermalright Ultra V-1 so cooling shouldn't be a problem.

wonkman said:
There are different mods for the 7900GTX to raise the voltage. I believe that the GTX already runs at 1.4 so even it you could do this mod, it wouldn't help.

So, I'm wondering since this is so easy on the 7900GT if I did the wrong thing in canceling my step-up to the 7900GT superclocked for $50 extra overall cost and instead renewing it with a 7900GTX standard edition for $202 extra. Maybe I should switch back to the superclocked? I can't run past 1280x1024 but I've got a dual core that runs 2912 mhz that I don't want being bottlenecked. What would you do?

scwam said:
So, I'm wondering since this is so easy on the 7900GT if I did the wrong thing in canceling my step-up to the 7900GT superclocked for $50 extra overall cost and instead renewing it with a 7900GTX standard edition for $202 extra. Maybe I should switch back to the superclocked? I can't run past 1280x1024 but I've got a dual core that runs 2912 mhz that I don't want being bottlenecked. What would you do?

It depends. The OC versions of the 7900GT and teh 7900GTX are likely based on superior binned chips. Thats why the GTX can run at 1.4 stock while the GT is 1.2. And in general you will likely get more OC headroom from a GT then a GTX. But the GTX may likely beat the GT when both are overclocked to their max because of the binned chip on the GTX. It depends on how much you're willing to pay for the possibility of a slightly faster OC on the GTX. If you're into benchmarking it may be worth it but I don't think you would likely notice the difference in games.

Also, consider that the volt mods on the GTX are more complicated and require mores tools and some soldering skillz. One of the things that's so great about the 1.4 mod on the GT is that it takes about 15 minutes and only $10 worth of stuff.

EDIT: One thing I didn't make clear. If you want the GT to be anywhere near competitive with an OCed GTX, you will obviously need to go beyond the simple 1.4 mod and do the more complicated higher volt mods requiring soldiering like on the GTX. This could get your volts up to 1.7 but this is risky territory for the less superior GT chips. You better have a serious cooling solution if you're going to do this. If you're comfortable with the simple-to-do GT 1.4 mod and you weren't considering OCing the GTX, then the GT may save you some bux.

Also, the fact that your chip is dual-core chip will not likely help in real game benchmarks because no games really take advantage of dual-core yet: not even Quake with a dual core patch. However upcoming games probably will. But I would think that your 2.9 is not going to be a graphics bottleneck.

ok, just finished the simple 1.4v mod using a conductive pen from radioshack. Speeds went from 564/1740 to 649/1780 stable. I could probably take the core up a little further, i'll have to mess around with it later. 3dmark06 went from 5450 up to 6018.

Load temps went up about 7c (57c).. but part of that probably has to do with how warm it is in my house tonight.

just busted 710/1850 24 hours ATItool artifact testing stable. Thats with 1.55v and only 2.09v on the memory. I'm going to up the volts and aim for 725/1900 24/7.

Oh, BTW thats on a $290 shipped refurb BFG :D

jbean7457 said:
ok, just finished the simple 1.4v mod using a conductive pen from radioshack. Speeds went from 564/1740 to 649/1780 stable. I could probably take the core up a little further, i'll have to mess around with it later. 3dmark06 went from 5450 up to 6018.

Load temps went up about 7c (57c).. but part of that probably has to do with how warm it is in my house tonight.

Are those temps with the stock cooler?

computerpro3 said:
just busted 710/1850 24 hours ATItool artifact testing stable. Thats with 1.55v and only 2.09v on the memory. I'm going to up the volts and aim for 725/1900 24/7.

Oh, BTW thats on a $290 shipped refurb BFG :D

Which method did you use to get the 1.55V?

I went to radio shack tonight and got a conductive pen and connected the two points but it did not improve my overclock AT ALL. I can't even go from 540 core to 550 core without artifacts in ATI tool. It is a nice solid line connecting them, but I don't have a multi-meter to test for conductivity. Could this perhaps be a hotspot on my core? I am running a zalman vf-700cu with AS5 and it doesn't get too hot under load. This is on an XFX 7900GT

well I just cleaned off all my AS5 and put on a fresh coat of it, then cleaned off all the conductive ink and made a new line, and still no go, will not overclock any more.

Silverado SS said:
well I just cleaned off all my AS5 and put on a fresh coat of it, then cleaned off all the conductive ink and made a new line, and still no go, will not overclock any more.

How long did you wait for the conductive ink to fully settle? It usually takes several hours for it to reach full conductivity . . .

weird thing with my voltmod is that coolbits would not detect any higher than it did before the mod. I just started messing around with the sliders and found a stable setting. So far it has passed multiple runs of 3dmark06 and hours of BF2.

Sucks that yours won't go any higher though :(

jbean7457 said:
weird thing with my voltmod is that coolbits would not detect any higher than it did before the mod. I just started messing around with the sliders and found a stable setting. So far it has passed multiple runs of 3dmark06 and hours of BF2.

Sucks that yours won't go any higher though :(

Yeah coolbits doesn't seem to work too well with the 7900 series. I had this annoying problem with it running at 2D speeds even when playing a game; took me while to figure it out . . .

Anyway, after I fixed it, I'm able to go to 690/1800 with coolbits and 705/1822 with Powerstrip. This is at 1.4v.

The_Dark_Abyss said:
How long did you wait for the conductive ink to fully settle? It usually takes several hours for it to reach full conductivity . . .

yep that was the problem, I let it sit for a while then tried again and what do you know, the core frequency just keeps climbing :D

635mhz "up from 540mhz on stock voltage" on the core and 1600mhz on the memory "can go slightly higher on the memory but 1600mhz is a nice number"

about 66 degrees celsius full load with the zalman

was hoping I could atleast hit 650mhz on the core, but oh well

So the 7900GT is that easy huh? Do you notice a difference in fps at all? Is gameplay smoother?

scwam said:
So the 7900GT is that easy huh? Do you notice a difference in fps at all? Is gameplay smoother?

Definitely. Comparing 500/1500 with 700/1822 there is a significant improvement. Oblivion still bogs down some outdoors but is much smoother than before. F.E.A.R. is playable now at 1600x1200 4xAA/16xAF with 50 FPS average . . . :)

I wonder know if I should just cancel my 7900GTX step up which will cost me $202 and seetle for the 7900GT Superclocked for $50 instead and do a volt mod.

scwam said:
I wonder know if I should just cancel my 7900GTX step up which will cost me $202 and seetle for the 7900GT Superclocked for $50 instead and do a volt mod.

Since it looks like you will be watercooling, I would say that's not a bad idea at all. A volt mod to 1.4v or 1.5v should get you to at least 700 mhz core . . .

The thing I've noticed about watercooling a GPU is that it has not improved my top overclock on 2 Evga 7800GT's but instead eliminated the artifacts at the last 15 mhz of it.

Question about the 7900GT: with this picture:

79gtvmod.jpg

Where it says VGPU: Solder 50K VR to ground, do you solder one end of the VR to ground and one end to the left side of that resistor where that arrow points to? What is the ground point? Also, for the 10K VR for the RAM, you solder the 10K across the resistor thats circled?

you really don't need to do those tricky volt-mods. You can get up to 1.55 more volts just using a conductive pen and it's completely reversable. The xtremesystems link has them in there. I'm gonna stay pat with the 1.4 extra volts for now, I might do the additional one later to get up over 700 core

Back