VMware has officially released their updated software.

For adding ad users- try logging in as admin@system-domain. That's the sso master user.

this sso shit sucks. I had a blast trying to get that to work last night. Finally after logging in with the admin@system-domain and then adding my domain admins group to the _Administrators_ group I was finally able to see the SSO config under my domain usernames.

I still have a lot of learning to do around this sso stuff.

this sso shit sucks. I had a blast trying to get that to work last night. Finally after logging in with the admin@system-domain and then adding my domain admins group to the _Administrators_ group I was finally able to see the SSO config under my domain usernames.

I still have a lot of learning to do around this sso stuff.

So, the big trick with SSO is that it assumes ~nothing~.

Other than admin@system-domain, or the local administrator (if simple install is done, no upgrade), no one has "user modification" access until you grant it. The reason for that is, a single SSO server can serve MANY domains/VCs/auth sources (if not now, in the future).. It doesn't want to assume that domain admins from one domain can automatically be admins for another domain's VC server. Especially when all those auth sources might not be teh same type (SSO will talk to openLDAP, etc).

Thus, you have to actually configure permissions for each group - none of the assumptions made in prior versions are held.

And yes, before you ask, I know it's a pain in the ass.

Going through three installs, I didn't find it all that bad. The documentation is there and it's a bit to muddle through, but if you follow what it says, then it works fine.

The only problem i've had with it so far is putting in the JDBC information. Each time I had to input my DB port, 1433 and it doesn't specify that in the manual.

Well I noticed that I can still auth to my vcenter servers using domain\name and that didn't seem to use SSO because the SSO config wasn't exposed.

How do I block this now to ensure SSO is handling all AUTH?

Going through three installs, I didn't find it all that bad. The documentation is there and it's a bit to muddle through, but if you follow what it says, then it works fine.

The only problem i've had with it so far is putting in the JDBC information. Each time I had to input my DB port, 1433 and it doesn't specify that in the manual.

The port should be on the screen - is it not? (I haven't gotten to the final GA installer yet - been patching hosts/moving other things to get caught up).

Well I noticed that I can still auth to my vcenter servers using domain\name and that didn't seem to use SSO because the SSO config wasn't exposed.

How do I block this now to ensure SSO is handling all AUTH?

Depending on your setup, there is a way to get it so that is included by default. I'll look up what the sequence was that ends up there. SSO is always being used - VC doesn't have the ability to auth against anything else anymore, it's just a question of what it included as the default admins (most of the time, admin@system-domain and nothing else).

If you want to add your AD as a default domain its pretty simple just make sure you click that little save icon after you add and move up the ad domain or it won't save :(

took me a few tries to get that one figured out.

Think I'm good now and have a decent understanding of SSO.

Domain was default added, along with the local system

removed local system, added domain to default list, moved up to first poisiton

added domain admins to the __Administrators__ group under SSO Users and Groups.

All seems well

is their new web GUI platform-agnostic and does it contain the same features as their desktop client? I'd like to use vCenter on a Linux machine if possible.

is their new web GUI platform-agnostic and does it contain the same features as their desktop client? I'd like to use vCenter on a Linux machine if possible.

The only thing you can't do from a non-Windows system is get to a VM's console. The web interface does more than the full VI Client. The new 5.1 features were not added to the VI Client.

No bug fixes it seems to the VI Client either.

If I'm on my Hosts view with VM's hidden, click on a host, then click on the VM tab, double click on a VM. It tries to load the VM in the left side but because its hidden it gets stuck in some loop and crashes. :(

I'm trying to be a good SysAdmin and use the Web Interface for everything now.

I told the others on my team that the VI client is unsupported and no longer functions correctly to try to get them into the Web UI. Hasn't worked too well.

Is there a way to disable the VI Client?

No bug fixes it seems to the VI Client either.

If I'm on my Hosts view with VM's hidden, click on a host, then click on the VM tab, double click on a VM. It tries to load the VM in the left side but because its hidden it gets stuck in some loop and crashes. :(

I'm trying to be a good SysAdmin and use the Web Interface for everything now.

I told the others on my team that the VI client is unsupported and no longer functions correctly to try to get them into the Web UI. Hasn't worked too well.

Is there a way to disable the VI Client?

Not yet ;)

Still a few things that need it, that's why - (SRM, UM).

Doing a fresh install on my server right now.

Is it normal for the install to take a VERY long time?

It was frozen at 5% for over 10 minutes.

Now another 15 minutes have passed bad it has reached 10%...

I'm installing from a USB CD drive to an SSD...

Last edited:
Zarathustra[H];1039163646 said:
Doing a fresh install on Kyle server right now.

Is it normal for the install to take a VERY long time?

It was frozen at 5% for over 10 minutes.

Now another 15 minutes have passed bad it has reached 10%...

I'm installing from a USB CD drive to an SSD...

For ESX, or VC?

ESX - sometimes. The USB drivers are pretty... lousy. VC? Definitely. IT's a BIG install this time - and lots of stuff to prep.

For ESX, or VC?

ESX - sometimes. The USB drivers are pretty... lousy. VC? Definitely. IT's a BIG install this time - and lots of stuff to prep.

I've noticed that about the USB drivers in the past.

When I forwarded a USB drive to a guest in th eprevious version of ESXi trasnfer speeds dropped to ~2.5MB/s down from the expected 26...

This time with an upgraded server I am going IOMMU, to try to avoid this.

I wonder if USB redirection has gotten any better in 5,1 compared to 5.0.

It was dreadfully slow in 5.0...

Zarathustra[H];1039167807 said:
I wonder if USB redirection has gotten any better in 5,1 compared to 5.0.

It was dreadfully slow in 5.0...

Oh my god yes it is in 5.0...

Back