VMware has officially released their updated software.

Vader

Supreme [H]ardness
Woke up at 3:00am to get a drink of water, checked on vSphere 5.1 availability, and started downloading all the updated products.

I'm actually pretty excited about this release....lot of great features. It's funny, VMware's .x releases are no joke, 4.0 to 4.1 brought major changes, 5.0 to 5.1 is bringing it bigger and better.

When you're checking for software availability at 3am then you may have a problem :)

When you're checking for software availability at 3am then you may have a problem :)
Ha! I figured I was up, mine as well get a head start. I have the work lab to rebuild and my home lab. The work lab is to validate the new installs, and test them under normal uses to validate any issues, then we have some customers who want to upgrade, and we have another vCloud install coming up as well as some large View deployments so it's important to vet out anything we can to make sure this is completely stable and also test out the new features, which I really have no doubts, however i'm sure there will be some things like there always is that need to be addressed in a update. You know how it is with new software, in business, you're a bit ansy to recommend moving to it without it being out for a bit.

Ha! I figured I was up, mine as well get a head start. I have the work lab to rebuild and my home lab. The work lab is to validate the new installs, and test them under normal uses to validate any issues, then we have some customers who want to upgrade, and we have another vCloud install coming up as well as some large View deployments so it's important to vet out anything we can to make sure this is completely stable and also test out the new features, which I really have no doubts, however i'm sure there will be some things like there always is that need to be addressed in a update. You know how it is with new software, in business, you're a bit ansy to recommend moving to it without it being out for a bit.

Oh of course, I probably would of held off till 7 or 8am though :) Either way, glad to hear that you're gainfully employed in the new position.

Woke up at 3:00am to get a drink of water, checked on vSphere 5.1 availability, and started downloading all the updated products.

I'm actually pretty excited about this release....lot of great features. It's funny, VMware's .x releases are no joke, 4.0 to 4.1 brought major changes, 5.0 to 5.1 is bringing it bigger and better.

I saw it up last night at 10:30pm CST and started downloading them. Got vCenter upgraded to 5.1 before I went to bed. :)

Figures...not even 24 hours after I finished deploying our first 5.0 box to production. :p Just stood a 5.0 Server up on an R810. We're migrating the rest of our HV's from XS 5.6 to ESXI 5.X.

Can anyone comment on the best method to upgrade an existing ESXi 5.0 box to 5.1?

Just copy the guest image files, and do a fresh install?

(Personally I am using the free version on a single box, so no vcenter)

Just run an upgrade...minor move up to 5.1. Boot off the ISO and let it upgrade. Very easy.

Just run an upgrade...minor move up to 5.1. Boot off the ISO and let it upgrade. Very easy.

Good Advice. I did this very easily via DRAC shortly after posting. I need to get more involved in the VMWare community. I'd imagine if I was I'd of known of this release prior to it coming out.

I thought that VMware was replacing the vClient with the web client, but it seems that this is not the case with standalone ESXi 5.1 hosts! In other words, if you have a standalone host, you have to install the vClient.

Furthermore, if you have multiple ESXi hosts and you want to use the vCenter appliance, you first have to install ESXi, then install the vClient so that you can deploy the vCenter appliance. After all of this you can use the web client to manage your infrastructure and forgo the vClient.

Unless I've overlooked something, VMware this is clumsy!

I thought that VMware was replacing the vClient with the web client, but it seems that this is not the case with standalone ESXi 5.1 hosts! In other words, if you have a standalone host, you have to install the vClient.

Furthermore, if you have multiple ESXi hosts and you want to use the vCenter appliance, you first have to install ESXi, then install the vClient so that you can deploy the vCenter appliance. After all of this you can use the web client to manage your infrastructure and forgo the vClient.

You have to install the web server before you can use the web client?

That is very clumsy!

You have to install the web server before you can use the web client?

That is very clumsy!

No, I understand that you need to install the web server or as I suggested the vCenter appliance which has the web server included before you can use the web client.

My points were that if you have standalone hosts there is no web client (please correct me if I'm wrong). Second the vClient is still required before you can access the web client via vCenter. In other words, there is no web client "out-of-the-box".

No, I understand that you need to install the web server or as I suggested the vCenter appliance which has the web server included before you can use the web client.

My points were that if you have standalone hosts there is no web client (please correct me if I'm wrong). Second the vClient is still required before you can access the web client via vCenter. In other words, there is no web client "out-of-the-box".

The improved web client is a component of vCenter. Obviously you'll need to install vCenter before you can use it.

The web client is not a part of ESXi. You still use traditional methods to manage ESXi.

I get where you are coming from but you want your ESXi box to be fairly stripped down. I don't want a webserver running on each host. Just opens too much security issues on each host.

Anyone run into issues with install SSO? I just use sql express in the lab and it wants the SA password but the SA account is disabled by default and it won't let you specify a different username.

Or did you create a new DB manually and then run that sql script and point to that?

Anyone run into issues with install SSO? I just use sql express in the lab and it wants the SA password but the SA account is disabled by default and it won't let you specify a different username.

Or did you create a new DB manually and then run that sql script and point to that?

Wow so nevermind, the way it was worded sounded like it wanted me to provide the current SA password but entering whatever worked. Although it enabled the SA account in sql which seems pretty bad security wise...

I did that. The script will create the RSA database for you. Just need to modify the script to point to the directory you want the DB stored.

There is a 5.1 patch, i think it's on the same page as the full download. Should be VMware-ESXi-5.1.0-799733-depot.zip but I haven't tried it out yet.

This is a little confusing. Reading the vmware docs http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/i...UID-7C9A1E23-7FCD-4295-9CB1-C932F2423C63.html it seems to imply you can upgrade using esxcli (like I've been applying 5.0 patches), but the vmware patch portal has no 5.1 patches. Am I just misreading this?

A patch release is just a cumulative updated build version and you can update with esxcli as long as the host is currently 5.x. The .zip posted above is just the offline bundle for 5.1

I get where you are coming from but you want your ESXi box to be fairly stripped down. I don't want a webserver running on each host. Just opens too much security issues on each host.
I'm not sure of the specifics but I doubt you need to have every host running as a web server.

Transition period, as NetJunkie said. Expect that won't last long ;)

Anyone know how long it usually takes for the SRA for Recoverpoint to be updated? Looks like HP got all theirs out on release day but EMC couldn't?

Anyone know how long it usually takes for the SRA for Recoverpoint to be updated? Looks like HP got all theirs out on release day but EMC couldn't?

Soon. Honestly, are you going to move up to a new SRM and a new vSphere right after release in a prod environment? No way I'd do that. Too many issues. We do our best to have customers hold off for 30 days.

Back