Vive Financing Program Expands to GTX 1070

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Getting into true roomscale VR gaming is not an inexpensive purchase. In fact, I think the biggest barrier to entry currently is cost. HTC is looking to remedy this by now including an NVIDIA GTX 1070 to its financing program. We have been testing real world VR gaming and GPUs way before since it was the cool thing to do, and I can assure you this, if I was building a Vive VR system today, the GTX 1070 is absolutely the sweet-spot entry point in video cards. I do not suggest with going with anything less for a new build. The fact is that the GTX 1070 and better can support much better Image Quality that greatly increases the immersion factor when gaming in VR.

First up – just need a graphics card to get VR Ready? Starting today, we’ve got the NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1070 Founders Edition and HTC VIVE for only $999.99. That’s an estimated $200 off suggested retail price for both.

We are waiting for AMD to come back on the scene with it new RX Vega GPU before we build our next VR Leaderboard, but its product stack still remains unchanged with the exception of the GTX 1080 Ti heading up the list now. However, in terms of AMD RX 480 / RX 580 VR performance, things are looking up.

Glad to see this. Funny thing happened this weekend. My sister-in-law was in town and she had the grand kids and we played around with the VR in my office. Not a lot space for all of those folks so my wife actually OKed me setting up a system in the living room, we have a nice big space for where it would be perfect. I actually have everything besides the headset. Thinking about getting an Rift but not sure. Not planning on it anytime soon, just thought is was interesting to see how she said she use it more if we had a setup downstairs.

Still no pay per month in Canada. $1250 and no 1070 bundle listed :(

EDIT: I found this is due to paypalcredit being US only, so it really isn't HTC's fault

Last edited by a moderator:
Works for the phone industry...

I've never thought about it that way... That'd actually be a cool idea. Pay $50 a month (varies for the tier you want) and get annual/18 month GPU upgrades. You're always almost top of the line (non-Titan at that price). That wouldn't be too bad. Not for everyone, but I think it'd be good for some people. Have a trade in value for your 'old' card.

This is a luxury item so I put it in the "want" category instead of "need". Therefore, I agree with those that have problems with financing a $1000 VR setup just to play games. If you don't have the cash now, hold off untill your financial situation improves. By then, Vive 2.0 will be out and will be much better.

Last edited:
Once again, this isn't HTC's financing program, it's just Paypal Credit - the same as you get for anything that accepts Paypal payment.

I guess HTC is smart for masquerading PP Credit as their own program, because tech blogs keep picking up their press releases.

I've got a GTX 980Ti, and an HTC Vive. From the benchmarks, my card does a 'little' better than the 1070, so I'm good for a couple of months.

I am an adult now and have adult issues like kids, appliances that break, cars that need repairs, you know - adult shit. For me to make a purchase of over say $500 (not exactly a scientific number), it involves me talking to my wife and essentially getting the OK. I showed her an HTC Vive at my work and explained how cool it was. It would be like her showing me a new purse catalog - wouldn't give a rats ass. Anyway, finance options are ways to scoot around the over $500 purchase price :) I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying...
(Ah, I do miss the days of what I ordered two Monster Voodoo 2's for SLI mode and didn't think twice about it - I even had time to play games back then).

Ah the memories of my youth working in an electronics store. PC packages on lease plans.... that was 20 years ago and I bet some of those poor suckers are still paying it off. At least this is a year and interest free... still. We need the VR game developers to embrace and open standard and a bunch of low cost manufacturers to flood the market. I really do hope VR catches on, but marketing payment plans isn't imo a great way to convince regular people the tech is affordable.

Ive been saving up for a VR build... and while i hate waiting, by the time I'm ready the 2nd gen HMD's might be out, and more games. I'm not one to go out and buy something like this on a whim..

Ah the memories of my youth working in an electronics store. PC packages on lease plans.... that was 20 years ago and I bet some of those poor suckers are still paying it off. At least this is a year and interest free... still. We need the VR game developers to embrace and open standard and a bunch of low cost manufacturers to flood the market. I really do hope VR catches on, but marketing payment plans isn't imo a great way to convince regular people the tech is affordable.
Hardware adoption drives software development which then drives hardware adoption. I do agree that this is a sub optimal way to increase adoption, but it is one way to go about increasing the hardware adoption which will lead to further software development.
I would rather they went the Nv twimtbp route with developers, where they produce the VR code and implement it for the devs. Without the Nv, (Batman AA, or no PhysX on their own card if there is an AMD card in the system), style lockouts of course.
HTC/Alphabet may need to just get with the devs making those up and coming games and help them code a vr path. I believe we also need to severely punish HTC/Alphabet if they try to lockout gamers with different hmds.

They already have HTC Vive 2 in the works so if you're smart you'd wait.

Back