Vista RTM: Your imprssions?

Running it on the system in sig. I chose the 32-Bit. 64-Bit had lots of issues in the beta, and I am mainly out to judge compatability and stability. So far, everything I have installed works fine, and not a single crash or error. It is also running MUCH faster than any of the beta's or RC's, Seems quite a bit snappier than XP even.

Here's to hoping Vista Ultimate lands on MSDN soon!

I installed it last night on my old rig - P4 2.4 GHz, 768 RDRAM, Pentium Mobo, ATi 9800Pro, and I think I have Audigy 2 in it but not sure (haven't looked inside in a while :p ) Just from my 5 minutes exploration without installing any drivers yet I can see that it runs better, smoother, and faster than when I ran XP on it..

bazylik said:
I installed it last night on my old rig - P4 2.4 GHz, 768 RDRAM, Pentium Mobo, ATi 9800Pro, and I think I have Audigy 2 in it but not sure (haven't looked inside in a while :p ) Just from my 5 minutes exploration without installing any drivers yet I can see that it runs better, smoother, and faster than when I ran XP on it..

Its a thoroughly nice operating system. I've replaced all my daily machines with it about 3 months ago. But then, I was also testing it back during Beta 1, which was Feb 2006, I believe.

RTM is a terrific OS.

dekard said:
A better question is, why are you still using creative?

best hardware for sound you can get with out spending 500 bucks

unless you know some else that makes drivers for there hardware were all stuck

Elios said:
best hardware for sound you can get with out spending 500 bucks

unless you know some else that makes drivers for there hardware were all stuck

;p

at least I don't like Britney Spears.

roninblade said:
anyone get the 64bit verison, how fast is that compared to the 32bit, any compatability issues?

I have not tried RTM yet, however I have run both 32 and 64 bit versions. 32 bit was solid and I have almost no issues with it. I am however having all sorts of issues with teh 64 bit version. I am considering going back to 32 bit for the time being.

I have having problems like, crashing the system when trying to copy files, game corruption, i'll think of more later.

I have also been able to find drivers for everything for both versions. so that was not an issue.

Cooter

dekard said:

I'm not sure about him, but I can say that I'm using Creative because I like gaming and most games give you quite a better audio experience with EAX effects.

The x-fi is also quite nice for music, tons better than my old Chaintech AV-710 which was highly recommended on this forum and others.

It's too bad that Creative can't write drivers for shit. How can they make great hardware and yet have a driver team that sucks so much ass? :p

Anyway I'm starting to think that my bad Vista experience may have been attibutable to Creative's beta X-Fi drivers. It seems that a rampant DLL has been a problem for many people running Vista with the X-Fi.

Blue Falcon said:
I'm not sure about him, but I can say that I'm using Creative because I like gaming and most games give you quite a better audio experience with EAX effects.

The x-fi is also quite nice for music, tons better than my old Chaintech AV-710 which was highly recommended on this forum and others.

It's too bad that Creative can't write drivers for shit. How can they make great hardware and yet have a driver team that sucks so much ass? :p

Anyway I'm starting to think that my bad Vista experience may have been attibutable to Creative's beta X-Fi drivers. It seems that a rampant DLL has been a problem for many people running Vista with the X-Fi.

Running RTM and an X-FI here... no problems thus far. I have yet to do any gaming, but music playback has been just peachy, and I have been able to use everythinng in the audio console (in the betas, vista would crash if I tried to use it).

Obi_Kwiet said:
I like how this thing with all the new security features is cracked three months before you can buy it. :rolleyes:

If MS can't protect their money better than that I'm not buying into whole security hype.

Local security of a program (eg. the ability to crack a program) is TOTALLY different than that of Internet Security.

You are comparing cracking of a program in a controlled environment to getting hacked via the internet. Different things sir.

cooter said:
I have not tried RTM yet, however I have run both 32 and 64 bit versions. 32 bit was solid and I have almost no issues with it. I am however having all sorts of issues with teh 64 bit version. I am considering going back to 32 bit for the time being.

I have having problems like, crashing the system when trying to copy files, game corruption, i'll think of more later.

I have also been able to find drivers for everything for both versions. so that was not an issue.

Cooter

hmm, good to kno, what kind of cpu do u got

Running 64-bit at 1920x1200 here and it's great :) No performance problems, just some X-Fi control panel weirdness. I had been running XP x64 since the beginning of the year so the 64-bit transition is behind me. It is so worth it. Got a good 5.0 on the WEI as well.

Doing development work is interesting (C# / WinForms) -- there is some new performance-related stuff to play with, but you have to be careful. I was wondering why some download code was performing so slowly and turns out that in my code I had enabled "thread background mode" ... so all my downloading was taking a major back seat to everything else going on, including the system indexer and whatnot. Fun stuff :)

dekard said:

LMAO and amen to that!

Stopped using Creative products after my Audigy 2 ZS! Originaly used an Aureal Vortex 2 SQ2500 SuperQuad (still have it and its currently running in my spare MCE2005 Box) when I started to pay attention to sound quality, I moved to a AuzenTech XMYSTIQUE and now will be moving to the AuzenTech X-Meridian soon.

To get back on topic somewhat, it's too bad there will probably no longer be support for Aureal cards any longer with the release of Vista. I initialy tried installing Vista RC2 in my spare box with said card and Vista simply could not figure out or had drivers for the sound card. :(

I installed it yesterday..

the installation was fast , the boot up is fast.. but loading the user profile took a while

the aero theme is neat , has a very modern feeling but I have the sensation that its 3d mode is using something like antialiasing x2 the fonts are a little blurred , the performance is ok, but the thing that most impressed me is that the internet goes waaaaaaaay more faster with vista than with my recent installation of xp pro , it is really fast

Im starting to like this new OS and im definitely changing when I get it to work as fast as my xp pro

EvilNando said:
I have the sensation that its 3d mode is using something like antialiasing x2 the fonts are a little blurred

Turn off clear type

EvilNando said:
the aero theme is neat , has a very modern feeling but I have the sensation that its 3d mode is using something like antialiasing x2 the fonts are a little blurred

Ask and ye shall recieve...

http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/09/26/fix-windows-vistas-fonts/

It might help. I know on mine that made a tremendous difference and brings the entire GUI into a more streamlined and simply look: It all uses the SegoeUI font when that Reg hack is applied.

Wish it came that way from Microsoft but I guess they had so much going on it was something that just slipped by. Anyway, give that a shot, it might help - but then again, it might not.

YMMV.

Viper87227 said:
Here's to hoping Vista Ultimate lands on MSDN soon!
Vista Business showed up on the Microsoft Licensing site today. Still no sign of it on MSDN.

update:
Windows Vista and Office 2007: Availability on MSDN Subscriber Downloads
Office 2007 is now available from MSDN Subscriber Downloads. Windows Vista is expected to be available on Friday November 17, 2006 PST.

That's fine with me! I wouldn't attempt an OS upgrade during the middle of a work week anyway... yeah right! I would be all over it!

tesfaye said:
Vista Business showed up on the Microsoft Licensing site today. Still no sign of it on MSDN. :(

does that mean it will be available for retail purchase anytime soon? Perhaps through my dell account?

dekard said:
does that mean it will be available for retail purchase anytime soon? Perhaps through my dell account?
Retail is in Jan. You have to have subscription access in order to get it early. If Dell is selling VLKs then you could possibly purchase through them but I don't know how that works.

tesfaye said:
Retail is in Jan. You have to have subscription access in order to get it early. If Dell is selling VLKs then you could possibly purchase through them but I don't know how that works.

I'll have to contact my dell rep and see if i've got any options... I need... probably 10 licenses to upgrade my office..

Stupid question (maybe). When you install vista on a secondary drive is it required to format the drive? Just wondering if I should move/back up all my stuff on it, or if it'll still be there after I install vista. It's probably a good idea to back up anyway : )

chaloux said:
Stupid question (maybe). When you install vista on a secondary drive is it required to format the drive? Just wondering if I should move/back up all my stuff on it, or if it'll still be there after I install vista. It's probably a good idea to back up anyway : )
It would be a good idea to back up regardless, but it wouldn't be a good idea to load an OS on a drive with files on it anyway. If you need the space to dual boot, use something like GPart to make the space.

Heard the UI size is independent of the resolution, that mean font size in firefox stays the same at different resolutions?

cooter said:

Cooter

anyone else having these problems?

roninblade said:
Anyone get Nero to work yet on Vista?

I've been using nero 7 premium on Vista for at least 3 - 4 months with no problems. Of course, all I use it for is burning .iso's...

I installed Windows Vista Business yesterday on my computer (It was released to Volume License customers and is now available on MSDN) and I have to say, the final version is a huge step up from RC2. Makes sense though.

I am enjoying using Vista, and it boots very fast on my machine. All the apps I use installed with no problems and all work. Office 2007 is a fine piece of software, though the UI takes a bit of getting used to.

If anything I hate that Windows Vista Business has no DVD Decoder. Which means Playing DVD's through WMP11 is "impossible" I thought installed Nero 7 and having those Mpeg-2 Decoders would spur WMP11 into working, but no go. I am going to have to try out Nvidia's decoder for XP (WMP10) and see if it works.

They say they are going to release the plugins for business, after the release to public of vista. But..I really don't want to wait that long to watch my movies.

O'well

I am having much fun.

---
Edit:
Nvidia's PureVideo Decoder worked. Looks like I'll need to go ahead and buy that.

Also, gaming seems to take a slight performance hit all around on Vista. Somewhat sad, but I am sure this will be "corrected" somehow in the future.

Vista Ultimate installed from a DVD onto my computer in 20 minutes flat. That is very impressive to me. So far I love it. It feels a little bit more responsive than 5744 which was pretty good already. I haven't played any games yet as I'm still installing apps while hanging out with my daughter. I like the new icons and the new sounds aren't as harsh as XP. My only issue so far has been with installing the Creative drivers for my Audigy. The audio stopped working right after install but after a reboot everything was fine.

All of my devices are up and running on my computer except for my HP 4670 scanner. I have to repackage the installation to remove the ShareToWeb feature. It messes with Explorer and causes the shell to grind to a halt.

Devices working in Vista on my computer:
Logitech Wingman Cordless
HP Laserjet 1012
Logitech DiNovo (No Bluetooth support. Everything else works)
Logitech MX1000
Toshiba e755
Palm Treo 700w
Logitech USB Headset for PS2
Audigy 4 Pro
ATI 1900XT
iPod Nano and other models. I'm using iTunes 7.0.2

ShadowVlican said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resolution_independence

not much info.... but this is one feature i'm looking forward to

this will have to happen before we're able to get high density displays

A lot of standard Vista apps include this feature. For the best example of it, start a game of solitare in a windowed state then maximize the game. You'll see the cards as blury images for a moment the the GUI will rerender them for the larger size and the clarity will increase. I believe this is what you are describing.

Finally got MSDN Vista Ultimate last night.
It took 25 minutes to fully install and gave me the Aero interface without any driver updates.

I installed the beta X1800XT driver in the hope I could using "Video in" but there is no support yet. The WDM folders are empty and the XP drivers dont function.
This makes the OS unusable for me as I get all my telly and satellite via that.
As I use DScaler to view TV etc, this requires the video overlay. The Aero interface steals the overlay so I would have to disable it to get DScaler to work anyway!

The beta Audigy 4 drivers work just fine, no issues there.

The MX1000 drivers are pretty good, supporting left/right scrolling without the Logitech drivers.

Performance is acceptable, there are some unreasonably long pauses after booting while it does 'something' but overall not a problem.

Shutdown and bootup using hibernation is really fast but I'll never use it on a home PC as a wipe of memory is a good thing !

The real clincher whether this OS is usable is if I can install Protowall.
Sadly not so I wont go online with it.

Its a nice OS but doesnt really offer anything worthwhile yet over XP (the Aero interface is nice but not required).
Hardware support isnt there yet and the inability to protect the PC the way I want means I wont use it until at least that is resolved.

Overall, it gets a thumbsup but isnt ready for me yet.

Chernobyl1 said:
Finally got MSDN Vista Ultimate last night.
It took 25 minutes to fully install and gave me the Aero interface without any driver updates.

I installed the beta X1800XT driver in the hope I could using "Video in" but there is no support yet. The WDM folders are empty and the XP drivers dont function.
This makes the OS unusable for me as I get all my telly and satellite via that.
As I use DScaler to view TV etc, this requires the video overlay. The Aero interface steals the overlay so I would have to disable it to get DScaler to work anyway!

The beta Audigy 4 drivers work just fine, no issues there.

The MX1000 drivers are pretty good, supporting left/right scrolling without the Logitech drivers.

Performance is acceptable, there are some unreasonably long pauses after booting while it does 'something' but overall not a problem.

Shutdown and bootup using hibernation is really fast but I'll never use it on a home PC as a wipe of memory is a good thing !

The real clincher whether this OS is usable is if I can install Protowall.
Sadly not so I wont go online with it.

Its a nice OS but doesnt really offer anything worthwhile yet over XP (the Aero interface is nice but not required).
Hardware support isnt there yet and the inability to protect the PC the way I want means I wont use it until at least that is resolved.

Overall, it gets a thumbsup but isnt ready for me yet.

I think that before you could dismiss an entire operating system because a protective system you prefer from the previous revision isn't compatible you should really deeply investigate whether it needed anymore, why its in compatible and what replacements are available.

Something like Vista is such a massive change that it requires rethinking of our security approach. I wouldn't casually dismiss it just on the basis of this.

I understand you have other issues and those certainly need resolving and I'm confident they will be in the months leading up to release. But, on the Protowall matter, take a deeper look before dismissing it, please.

dekard said:
I think that before you could dismiss an entire operating system because a protective system you prefer from the previous revision isn't compatible you should really deeply investigate whether it needed anymore, why its in compatible and what replacements are available.

Something like Vista is such a massive change that it requires rethinking of our security approach. I wouldn't casually dismiss it just on the basis of this.

I understand you have other issues and those certainly need resolving and I'm confident they will be in the months leading up to release. But, on the Protowall matter, take a deeper look before dismissing it, please.

You assume a lot.
I didnt dismiss it but stated its not ready yet for me.
The protective system isnt the issue, Protowall hasnt got a Vista ready version yet.
The fact you have to ask whether its needed any more means you dont know anything about how it helps.
Yes, Protowall is a required item.

The hardware not functioning will be fixed in time so as I said, its not ready for me yet.

abudhu said:
I installed Windows Vista Business yesterday on my computer (It was released to Volume License customers and is now available on MSDN) and I have to say, the final version is a huge step up from RC2. Makes sense though.

I am enjoying using Vista, and it boots very fast on my machine. All the apps I use installed with no problems and all work. Office 2007 is a fine piece of software, though the UI takes a bit of getting used to.

If anything I hate that Windows Vista Business has no DVD Decoder. Which means Playing DVD's through WMP11 is "impossible" I thought installed Nero 7 and having those Mpeg-2 Decoders would spur WMP11 into working, but no go. I am going to have to try out Nvidia's decoder for XP (WMP10) and see if it works.

They say they are going to release the plugins for business, after the release to public of vista. But..I really don't want to wait that long to watch my movies.

O'well

I am having much fun.

---
Edit:
Nvidia's PureVideo Decoder worked. Looks like I'll need to go ahead and buy that.

Also, gaming seems to take a slight performance hit all around on Vista. Somewhat sad, but I am sure this will be "corrected" somehow in the future.

I had the same problem, WMP11 is such a pain in the ass. I still cant find a way to unistall it. It seems like it opens what files it wants, when it wants.

What is this gaming hit that I keep reading about in Vista? At least for me gaming is a heck of a lot smoother in Vista over XP and even 2003. Benchmarks seem to show a slight hit in some games but gameplay does not seem to suffer at all.

Once again, it goes back to the issue of:

Vista isn't out yet. Just because it's on MSDN doesn't mean "it's out yet," and because of that Nvidia and ATI and a lot of other hardware manufacturers - not to mention software developers - have not released working Vista-compatible drivers or software yet.

It's not Vista's fault, in its currently available form on MSDN, because it doesn't support every damned app, every damned piece of hardware, etc. That honestly is never the fault of the OS itself; it's the fault of the hardware and software developers not getting the drivers and software out for the OS.

One reason Microsoft has MSDN in the first place - remember it stands for Microsoft Developer/Developer's Network - is to get the OS out to developers so they can write the drivers and they can write the software so their products will work with the OS.

Read that again if you have to, because it's so very important to all this discussion.

"get the OS out to developers so they can write the drivers and they can write the software so their products work with Vista" and not the other way around. Their products need to work with Vista, not Vista working with their products.

That's a major distinction that just seems to get lost so easily in all this discussion.

It's easy to just say:

"Vista sucks because it doesn't work with <insert hardware or software here>"

when it's more accurate to say:

"I sure wish <insert hardware or software developer's name here> would release a Vista-compatible version of <insert hardware or software product here>"

Be patient, it'll happen. And a lot of the older software is simply unnecessary now based on what Vista is truly capable of. The problem is, people just hate changing from the familiar, and that's perfectly understandable. But when offering an opinion, remember that your opinion(s) is/are tainted by your own experience with said product or situations, and don't let that cloud your objectivity and prevent you from seeing the big picture:

Vista isn't out yet, and until it is, until it's available pre-installed on machines from OEMs and system builders, don't expect ATI, Nvidia, or any other hardware or software maker to put their best foot forward just yet because if they do, they'll end up wasting time supporting people running Vista and it's not even out yet - MSDN simply doesn't count just because you have a subscription and you're running Vista at home or whatever.

MSDN is supposed to be for developers, both hardware and software, and just because you or someone you know has a subscription doesn't mean "Oh cool, I paid <xxx amount of money> and now I get all the stuff Microsoft has for free."

The original and still to this day intent and purpose of MSDN is to get the operating systems and software out to developers to... well... develop stuff, hardware and software alike, not get the jump on your neighbor for bragging rights as an early adopter.

Geez people, get over it, will ya, this shit is getting old. :D

bbz_Ghost said:
Once again, it goes back to the issue of:

Vista isn't out yet. Just because it's on MSDN doesn't mean "it's out yet," and because of that Nvidia and ATI and a lot of other hardware manufacturers - not to mention software developers - have not released working Vista-compatible drivers or software yet.

It's not Vista's fault, in its currently available form on MSDN, because it doesn't support every damned app, every damned piece of hardware, etc. That honestly is never the fault of the OS itself; it's the fault of the hardware and software developers not getting the drivers and software out for the OS.

One reason Microsoft has MSDN in the first place - remember it stands for Microsoft Developer/Developer's Network - is to get the OS out to developers so they can write the drivers and they can write the software so their products will work with the OS.

Read that again if you have to, because it's so very important to all this discussion.

"get the OS out to developers so they can write the drivers and they can write the software so their products work with Vista" and not the other way around. Their products need to work with Vista, not Vista working with their products.

That's a major distinction that just seems to get lost so easily in all this discussion.

It's easy to just say:

"Vista sucks because it doesn't work with <insert hardware or software here>"

when it's more accurate to say:

"I sure wish <insert hardware or software developer's name here> would release a Vista-compatible version of <insert hardware or software product here>"

Be patient, it'll happen. And a lot of the older software is simply unnecessary now based on what Vista is truly capable of. The problem is, people just hate changing from the familiar, and that's perfectly understandable. But when offering an opinion, remember that your opinion(s) is/are tainted by your own experience with said product or situations, and don't let that cloud your objectivity and prevent you from seeing the big picture:

Vista isn't out yet, and until it is, until it's available pre-installed on machines from OEMs and system builders, don't expect ATI, Nvidia, or any other hardware or software maker to put their best foot forward just yet because if they do, they'll end up wasting time supporting people running Vista and it's not even out yet - MSDN simply doesn't count just because you have a subscription and you're running Vista at home or whatever.

MSDN is supposed to be for developers, both hardware and software, and just because you or someone you know has a subscription doesn't mean "Oh cool, I paid <xxx amount of money> and now I get all the stuff Microsoft has for free."

The original and still to this day intent and purpose of MSDN is to get the operating systems and software out to developers to... well... develop stuff, hardware and software alike, not get the jump on your neighbor for bragging rights as an early adopter.

Geez people, get over it, will ya, this shit is getting old. :D

I agree.

dekard said:

Thanks for that. And just to make my post above even more relevant, here's the actual quote from Raxco about PerfectDisk as noted on their PerfectDisk FAQ page when the question "Is PerfectDisk compatible with Windows Vista?" is asked:

(snip)

Is PerfectDisk compatible with Windows Vista?

Microsoft recently released Windows Vista to manufacturing (RTM). Vista is scheduled by Microsoft to be available to the general public at the end of January.

Raxco has received the Vista RTM software from Microsoft and is currently working to verify compatiblity with Vista and for Microsoft to officially certify PerfectDisk for use on Vista.

There is a beta version of PerfectDisk 8.0 available for installation on Windows Vista which can be downloaded from the Raxco Download Site. The PerfectDisk 8 Beta for Vista will only install on RC1 or newer versions of Vista. Currently, the beta version of PerfectDisk for Vista is only available for x86 versions of Vista. Support for x64 versions of Vista is forthcoming. Please note that at this time technical support for PerfectDisk running on Windows Vista is limited. When Windows Vista is officially available at the end of Janurary, PerfectDisk 8.0 will be officially supported.

(/snip)

See the most important part there, in all that? The last sentence?

"When Windows Vista is officially available at the end of January, PerfectDisk 8.0 will officially be supported."

*ahem*

Text quoted above taken from: http://www.raxco.com/support/windows/PD80/PerfectDisk80_faqs.cfm#23

EDIT:
This is just one example; there are many other companies that say the same thing if you take the time to read the FAQs and information they present. They do it so they're hoping to curb the number of emails asking the same questions over and over again. Suffice to say, it seems some of us walking the planet simply can't read even when the info is right there plain as day for anyone to see.

Back