VISTA internet bug and zombie processes, downgrade to xp?

IISEVIL

Limp Gawd
yesterday i got a brand new old computer :D hardware is way newer then my old old computer :D anyways i started noticing a strange issue with internet explorer... whenever i loaded up my internet, my browser would stop working... downloads, skype everything else would continue to function.

thats happened plenty of times on my old computer but all it took to get the thing going again was simply typeing in the modems address, but on this computer IE wont even talk to the modem.

I have also noticed that when IE stops responding that the process wont die, task manager and cmd promt taskkill dont have any effect on it... oh and I have tested firefox to it it sufferes from the same issue.

I have updated everything except for framework 3.5 (since it wont let me :'/ ) and IE8 since it openes up way to many processes

do you guys think it would be a good move if i pulled up my old copy of XP and downgraded? i would rather not if u guys dont think it will help since this gateway didnt come with a backup for vista and i want to be able to return it if i really have to

Last edited:
IE8 doesn't open up 'way to may', that's how it's programmed. Consider it modular now. If one tab crashes, it can recover itself because the processes aren't attached to eachother.

i had it installed for about an hour earlier but removed it since 8 processes that keep running even after internet explorer has been shut down normally is way to many in my opinion

i already said that firefox suffered from the same issues.. except the whole 8 processes at once part

You can't reinstall Vista? Where did you buy this computer that it didn't come with a Vista disk or anyway to reinstall the operating system. The last thing I would do is go back to XP.

bestbuy, heh had no idea that it didnt come with a backup, hehe hell it even comes with a windows product key but no disk, i cant really blame them, the apple i got from there also came light one OS disk, should have learned my lesson..

im going to give this thing a few days see if i cant get it running well. >_<

bestbuy, heh had no idea that it didnt come with a backup, hehe hell it even comes with a windows product key but no disk, i cant really blame them, the apple i got from there also came light one OS disk, should have learned my lesson..

im going to give this thing a few days see if i cant get it running well. >_<

I am finding it difficult to believe that a new OEM computer was sold to you without either a recovery disk or a recovery partition on your drive.

Fire up your computer, and watch closely for a prompt that might say something like "Press F11 to Run Recovery" or something like that. If you don't see it, go all the way into your computer and check your Start menu for a recovery or backup utility.

I'd just call tech support and get them to sort it out. Otherwise what's the point of buying a brand name PC rather than building your own like most people here, other than wasting money? In fact, I'd probably just return the PC.

But if you really did want to play around with it, if you really did feel like reinstalling anything, just reinstall a clean copy of Vista - make yourself a recovery or OS disk and use that with your product keys. Or even better, just go Win7.

New computers from best buy don't come with discs. But there is pre installed software for creating your driver and recovery disks.

i already said that firefox suffered from the same issues.. except the whole 8 processes at once part
So wouldn't that tell you to look elsewhere, such as NIC drivers, network settings, etc, rather than to blame IE? If you have the product key, than borrow a Vista disc from a friend and do a fresh install.

From what I understand, if you have the Vista product key, you can use any disk to re-install Vista. Just use your product key when asked and it will install the version you have a license for.

From what I understand, if you have the Vista product key, you can use any disk to re-install Vista. Just use your product key when asked and it will install the version you have a license for.

So if you had a Vista Ultimate product key and a Vista basic disk it would have all the Ultimate features?

So if you had a Vista Ultimate product key and a Vista basic disk it would have all the Ultimate features?

From what I recall all Vista discs, no matter the version on the box, contain all versions. What are you really buying is not the disc but rather the CD key. And it's that that determines which version you have.

So to answer your question, yes.

I also find it hard to believe that the Apple you bought from them didn't come with an OS disk. EVERY Apple comes with an OS disk from the factory. Best Buy would have to open the sealed Apple packaging to remove the disks.

This thread reaks of the PBKAC error.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Yes, the Vista DVD includes every version. You select which one you want to install near the beginning of the install process. Obviously if you had a Vista Home Basic product key it would only be able to activate Home Basic.

Did you buy it new in box or was it the display model? I'd say take it back but I worked for BB for over 2.5 years and I can tell you they are probably going to make you jump through quite a few hoops to get a refund! And I can tell ya a lot of the sales people don't know a whole lot about what they are trying to sell you! After everything I saw while working there I am never going to shop there again!

Back