Vishera Piledriver Benched

Wait to release for benchmark results. Too early right now.

I don' have alot of faith in AMD cpus but its too early to put trust in results in early benchmarks.

Well, it would really come down to how well the FX-8350 overclocks, no?

I will be honest and say I am starting to believe that Cinebench is not as good a benchmark as I first thought. It is clear to me that the score is heavily dependent upon the type, speed and timings of memory that is being used.

i can honestly say that after so many years of release and leaked, these chinese leaked benches are a good indication of the final products. I haven't seen a leaked bench just prior to release to be far off.

So... this will finally bring the Bulldozer arch. back up to where Thuban was as far as IPC goes, or are we still a little off? I'd really like to replace the X3 720BE in my home server with another AMD chip. I have a fair amount of SMP testing to do server-side that I've been doing on my gaming rig (which is a PITA).

So... this will finally bring the Bulldozer arch. back up to where Thuban was as far as IPC goes, or are we still a little off? I'd really like to replace the X3 720BE in my home server with another AMD chip. I have a fair amount of SMP testing to do server-side that I've been doing on my gaming rig (which is a PITA).

As I recall, IPC is still lower than Thuban/Phenom II. Trinity's IPC was lower than Llano, by something like 15-20% I think.

I need to talk to whoever you're buying CPUs from...because those were not release prices. Those are prices (excluding the Sandybridge) after those parts were 2-3 generations obsolete. When 1366 was still the thing just before Sandybridge hit shelves, the i7-950 was still over $300 retail.

I wouldn't say 2-3 generations old, maybe just 1 generation. The Q6600 was already 200 bucks before Yorkfield which was its replacement was released.

Hmm.

When I bought my D0 i7-920 in early July 2009, it was $279, and I recall that being a pretty good price for it at that point.

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/AMD-A10-and-A8-Virgo-APU-Experience-and-Gaming/?page=1

Hot Hardware took a look at the high end A10-5800K from AMD. It looks promising if anyone is looking for a midrange or mainstream computer with integrated graphics for cheap.

It does *look* promising, but because AMD has a bug up their ass involving being shown-up in any benchmark, the preview is limited to graphics tests only. This only gives us *half* the story.

Yes, the GPU performance is improved over Llano - it would be a tragedy if it were not so. But how much more CPU performance do we get? How does it perform versus the i3? That's the golden question, and we won't get an answer for a month.

It does *look* promising, but because AMD has a bug up their ass involving being shown-up in any benchmark, the preview is limited to graphics tests only. This only gives us *half* the story.

Yes, the GPU performance is improved over Llano - it would be a tragedy if it were not so. But how much more CPU performance do we get? How does it perform versus the i3? That's the golden question, and we won't get an answer for a month.

Hopefully we'll know the first week of October. If anything, first processors are released October 1st from the last thing I've read online.

staged benchmarks? they are allowing sites to post a "preview" before the NDA lifts, but they have limited what can be included in the preview. Doesn't sound staged to me.

Hmm... Maybe we should blame the websites running this "preview" and bending over backwards to AMD's requests not to publish CPU benches...??? Either way, this is a lame attempt at making A10 "shine" under very limited spectrum of light, ie gaming benches only without discrete graphics... Another words: our CPU's are still nothing to get excited about...:rolleyes:

Not sure I get the problem with this. AMD is letting them do a "preview" on benchies they think it'll work best on. Didn't Intel do the same with its Ivy and Sandy previews on Anand? AMD is trying to generate a little positive press for the first time in a long time. They're not asking anybody to falsify anything or report anything other than what their honest opinion is. Maybe I'm missing the problem but I don't see anything that wrong with it. AMD isn't interested in good honest journalism here, they're interested in marketing and them saying "hey guys, if you want to release ahead of time some results from a couple benchmarks we do well in, we're cool with that." Seems fine to me. Intel does it and nobody seems to mind. Hell, I'd do it if I ran a chip company.

Hmm... Maybe we should blame the websites running this "preview" and bending over backwards to AMD's requests not to publish CPU benches...??? Either way, this is a lame attempt at making A10 "shine" under very limited spectrum of light, ie gaming benches only without discrete graphics... Another words: our CPU's are still nothing to get excited about...:rolleyes:

it's a PREview, if you want the full story, wait for the REview.

While it sucks that AMD is doing this, but anyone in the tech world with half a brain KNOWS that if you want to publish numbers BEFORE the NDA/embargo lifts, you have to play by the manufacturer's rules. Even in the automotive world, you have stipulations like this.

I love Tech Report and all (not more than [H]), but I feel Scott went a bit overboard on this one, and when you read the whole piece, he uses 'review' instead of 'preview'. AnandTech and PCPer both put in a disclaimer with their 'previews', and neither Anand nor Josh rage about it.

:rolleyes:

Or maybe AMD should just not let them review ANYTHING until the NDA/Press Embargo lifts?

:rolleyes:

Or maybe AMD should just not let them review ANYTHING until the NDA/Press Embargo lifts?

I would be okay with this.

Giving enthusiasts half the story is stupid because it's assuming these same enthusiasts will not read the full review before purchase, even though the products will not be available until the review day.

You can say you need to create more "buzz" with a preview like this, but I would argue that the people how actually give a shit are already well aware that the product launch is near. All this generates is a bunch of people posting the good and bad about the new chips when they only have half the story. For all the posts this preview will generate here, you'll see 10x more the week of release, and they will be better-informed.

If you want the CPU benchmarks, Tom's did them already quite a while ago, as soon as the CPUs were available from OEMs.

It is a dumb move by AMD, but it's also a move that's not uncommon. Josh really made himself a fool by writing that article and singling them out here. I'm positive he gets pages-long emails/information whenever a new product is given to them to be reviewed. Things like which benchmarks to use and which ones to try to avoid. I'm not sure how "do that later" is any worse than any of that.

Plus, it's not like we don't know it's performance will still lag behind :p

QQ. The mobile part A10-4600M has been benched a lot and Toms hardware has had a review of the 5800K up showing CPU benches, since this summer. Just look around the info is out there.

The graphics performance looks good. AT's benchmarks show the A10-5800 is 10-20% faster than the discrete HD 5570. The wisdom of eating into your own (more profitable) discrete GPU market doesn't make too much sense, but it's a win for consumers who don't need a GPU faster than mid-range. Progress is definitely happening.

The compute benchmarks are pretty disappointing, again. The Civ benchmark remains a high mark, but in applications which also support the HD 4000 (so they can be compared), the A10-5800 is often only 10% faster. Remember that the HD 4000 only has 16 EUs/64ALUs (which take up a small fraction of die space, vs around 50% for AMD's integrated GPU), and this A10-5800K GPU has 384 shaders. In less than 6 months Haswell is simply going to kill the APU in the APU's whole purpose for existing. I wonder if AMD will still be pushing the APU compute angle when it's falling behind. I'm guessing it will be discarded, strange because it's AMD entire consumer strategy nowadays.

Last edited:
QQ. The mobile part A10-4600M has been benched a lot and Toms hardware has had a review of the 5800K up showing CPU benches, since this summer. Just look around the info is out there.

I'm actually looking in this direction for a couple of new setups. Would be great to see some updated benchmarks.

Back