Vishera Piledriver Benched

This is the same guy that posted leaked benches of BD ES, and basically said the same thing: IT SUCKED ASS!!! Everybody jumped on him for being a troll and trying to smear AMD's name... Well, a few days later (more like a week) official benches came out, and guess what (?) EVERYBODY named BD a steaming turd... So, I wouldn't totally disregard his leaks... To be honest, everything that's derived from BD microarchitecture, sans a MAJOR redesign, is going to be a steaming pile of dung... With Steamroller, AMD may have a slight chance of reaching Sandy Bridge's performance, but will most likely be plagued by the same outrageous power characteristics that have held BD back so much. Hell, if not the ridiculous TDP, I'd go to Microcenter TOMORROW, and pick up an 8120 + mobo combo just to play with...

Its normal that many of us with phenom 2 processors to be frustrated, i have a 1090T and we have no upgrade path at the moment. Even if it turns out to be slightly faster in cinebench, the ipc is not there and power consumption is horrible at the moment.
We will have to wait and see.

Its normal that many of us with phenom 2 processors to be frustrated, i have a 1090T and we have no upgrade path at the moment. Even if it turns out to be slightly faster in cinebench, the ipc is not there and power consumption is horrible at the moment.

Power consumption is better than your current chip. With Bulldozer at idle. Both processors suck down the juice under load/ overclocked/ overvolted.

I think what you mean to say is you don't have a upgrade available for Gaming available. The FX processors do things much faster than Thuban in anything that uses the new instruction sets.

Ie if your running a phenom 2, and do video encoding, a 8 core Bulldozer would save you a good bit of time. If your doing Aes Encription or working in Excel Bulldozer is faster than thuban. So it really depends on what your doing. Currently there is no Upgrade available for ALL Workloads. This is why you build a computer based on what you do the most.

By the power vested in me by me I hereby sentence any person anywhere on the planet who uses the phrase "wait for the..." in conjunction with a high end AMD CPU to twenty lashes with a wet noodle.

IMHO and only IMHO: AMD is out of the high end CPU race for the next few years and possibly eternity. Low and midrange CPUs with integrated graphics is all that's going to be coming out of the Green Team from now on.

Power consumption is better than your current chip. With Bulldozer at idle. Both processors suck down the juice under load/ overclocked/ overvolted.

I think what you mean to say is you don't have a upgrade available for Gaming available. The FX processors do things much faster than Thuban in anything that uses the new instruction sets.

Ie if your running a phenom 2, and do video encoding, a 8 core Bulldozer would save you a good bit of time. If your doing Aes Encription or working in Excel Bulldozer is faster than thuban. So it really depends on what your doing. Currently there is no Upgrade available for ALL Workloads. This is why you build a computer based on what you do the most.

I think you are obsessed with your crappy processor.
Please tell us the power consumption of that thing you have when overclocked.
At least the phenom does better than the fx and its older and a bigger "NM" than the bulldozer.
I think you should consume less once you shrink down instead of consuming more.
"Idle"??? :) well i am not just sitting on a computer chair and doing nothing or staring at the screen.

Last edited:
And all of you are forgetting Trinity and Anandtech's review of Trinity.

Trinity: 5-15% higher IPC than Bulldozer with average of ~10%, uses Piledriver cores, has a lot of architectural tweaks to make it use less power.

Vishera (rumors): 10% higher stock speeds, supposed to have "enhanced" Piledriver cores (better than the ones used in Trinity), has L3 cache which Trinity doesn't.

We're not going to see a small 5% bump in performance here. We're going to safely see at least 15% bump in stock performance. Overclocked is a different matter entirely, but at the same clocks we should see at least 5% better performance. The architectural tweaks will make Vishera use less power than Zambezi at the same clocks. Remember, Zambezi launched at 125w at 3.6, while Vishera is launching at 125w at 4.

Trinity: 5-15% higher IPC than Bulldozer with average of ~10%, uses Piledriver cores, has a lot of architectural tweaks to make it use less power.

Vishera (rumors): 10% higher stock speeds, supposed to have "enhanced" Piledriver cores (better than the ones used in Trinity), has L3 cache which Trinity doesn't.

We're not going to see a small 5% bump in performance here. We're going to safely see at least 15% bump in stock performance. Overclocked is a different matter entirely, but at the same clocks we should see at least 5% better performance. The architectural tweaks will make Vishera use less power than Zambezi at the same clocks. Remember, Zambezi launched at 125w at 3.6, while Vishera is launching at 125w at 4.

These rumors you are talking about can be canceled.
There are other rumors that the supposed vishera piledriver (fx-8350) is not a fully fledged piledriver as in trinity.
Its just a tweaked bulldozer.

I thought that was all that this was supposed to be. If these are true benchmarks it is disappointing that the IPC only improves by about 5%. However the stock clock is definitely up 10% or so for the same power draw which is a nice improvement. We have not seen any overclocking I can't comment on that.

Last edited:
I'll wait for more serious reviews to turn up. To much cursing and swearing in that to be taken too seriously. Also Eng sample not final retail processor.

You can't expect a review to be taken seriously if you just blast off like some knuckle head..he should learn to write in a more considered manner.

Engineering samples are pretty good indicators of performance provided the clocks are the same as those of retail CPUs. That generally means the sample is final silicon or damned close to it.

I thought that was all that this was supposed to be. If these are true benchmarks it is disappointing that the IPC only improves by about 5%. However the stock clock is definitely up 10% or so for the same power draw. We have not seen any overclocking I can't comment on that.

Yes sure i agree with you. I cannot comment on that either.
But if the turbo is only set to go up to 4.2 Ghz, well that is worrying to why that is so.

These rumors you are talking about can be canceled.
There are other rumors that the supposed vishera piledriver (fx-8350) is not a fully fledged piledriver as in trinity.

Vishera will definitely have L3. That is a given.

AMD stated itself that the APU line will get the initial release of the cores, with an enhanced version released later in the CPU line. That means that Piledriver cores in Vishera are supposed to be more powerful than the ones in the APU line.

As for the clocks, that's already pretty much a given at this point in time. The leaked specification sheet proves this.

Therefore, the FX-8350 is at least 15% better than the FX-8150 at stock clocks. At the same clocks, it's at least 5% better.

QUOTE]

Not knocking Trinity but they have at most 4 cores/threads. That alone will clearly make a difference with heavy threaded applications.

I expect PD to be a modest step forward which is ok (subject to sensible prices), but probably not enough for PhII x6 users or even current FX ones to update to.

Probably my last AMD CPU before moving back to Intel...I already invested in an AM3+ motherboard while back and I have all the parts for my HTPC build - its just waiting for my Phenom II 965 CPU. I'm getting the FX-8350 overclocking the shit out of it and hope it will handle my gaming needs for the next 2 years. Since the next gen consoles will be powered by AMD hopefully future games won't be CPU intensive.

At least the phenom does better than the fx and its older and a bigger "NM" than the bulldozer.
"Idle"??? :) well i am not just sitting on a computer chair and doing nothing or staring at the screen.

I can't speak for ebduncan, but my bulldozer is overclocked and undervolted.

I'm running the same board as ebduncan. Stock BD with CPB enabled requires 1.4V, under aggressive LLC this can increase a lot - on my machine it was over 1.6V. Once CPB is disabled, BD voltage drops to 1.2V. LLC can then be tuned. My FX-8120 runs fine at Boost speed (4.0 GHZ) at 1.125V (undervolted 0.075V). Savings to me from stock settings at full bore is around 30% power for the cpu. And my encoding times dropped to less than 20 minutes a DVD - a big savings from my 955.

All the reviews paint BD as a bust, when it comes to power. Not surprisingly, they tested stock configuration and maximum overclock where at least on my board the cpu would be pulling 1.6V (and running very hot). Unfortunately, tight review schedules kept reviewers from tuning voltages and AMD default processor power settings suck like nothing else has ever sucked before.

I'm running the same board as ebduncan. Stock BD with CPB enabled requires 1.4V, under aggressive LLC this can increase a lot - on my machine it was over 1.6V. Once CPB is disabled, BD voltage drops to 1.2V. LLC can then be tuned. My FX-8120 runs fine at Boost speed (4.0 GHZ) at 1.125V (undervolted 0.075V). Savings to me from stock settings at full bore is around 30% power for the cpu. And my encoding times dropped to less than 20 minutes a DVD - a big savings from my 955.

All the reviews paint BD as a bust, when it comes to power. Not surprisingly, they tested stock configuration and maximum overclock where at least on my board the cpu would be pulling 1.6V (and running very hot). Unfortunately, tight review schedules kept reviewers from tuning voltages and AMD default processor power settings suck like nothing else has ever sucked before.

You guys with fx cpus are so stubborn. You are are talking about a 955 phenom which is a 4 core cpu and theoretically you have an 8 core processor.

Well guess what, My phenom undervolts as well and its a "6" core processor.

Same here. My cpu run 4.5 on any bench long test and is well under 1.4 v. Mine also runs like yours at 4ghz. It does keep them cooler and the power usage is alot lower. I found all this out the same way.Messing with llc and voltage. You do not want llc on a high level. Keeps my Antec 920 sound down alot also.

You guys with fx cpus are so stubborn. You are are talking about a 955 phenom which is a 4 core cpu and theoretically you have an 8 core processor.

The new fx cpu's undervolt even lower (stable) while still holding a higher speed.

The new fx cpu's undervolt even lower (stable) while still holding a higher speed.

Okay just tell him to go over 4.0Ghz and lets see what happens.
And also lets ask ebduncan which he has his cpu running at 4.9Ghz.

Why do you have an agenda against FX CPUs?

"Idle"??? well i am not just sitting on a computer chair and doing nothing or staring at the screen.

obsessed? no. I had a thuban 1055T before, my board crapped out so i got a new one. I received my 8120 for free. (was a winner of a drawing) I run it at 4.9ghz in the summer or 5.2ghz in the winter. Power draw of the processor at these speeds is around 450watts. System draw cpu taxed. Gpu's untaxed. So what? I pay 9 cents per KW hour its not really hurting the bank account any. I can play all my games with 7870 crossfire across 3x1080p screens, well at least the ones that support eye infinity. Compared to my old 1055T@ 3.7ghz in all areas is this processor an upgrade. It is quite a bit faster in AES encryption, much faster with excel. I won't go on. I also run vm's and well my roommate has a 2600k @ 4.4ghz. My computer is actually faster than his in alot of things.

It really depends on the workload. If your workload is stricky games then by all means go intel. If you do other things like encryption or encoding the FX processors do well and can beat the intel counterparts in price and performance in those areas. Not to mention virtual machines.

Idle power is relevant because unless you sit at your computer 24/7 then , when your not there it is in a idle state. Bulldozer draws less power in idle than sandy bridge. So if you only game 1 hour a day or use your computer 1 hour a day. Bulldozer pc would actually be more power efficient for your uses.

For what is it worth if i had to buy a new system today i would likely go with a intel 3820. For now i have a am3+ motherboard and a FX cpu (which was free) replaced my old 1055T. I will likely upgrade to piledriver when its released if it shows a 15% or more improvement in my workloads. Otherwise I am not going to waste my time with responding to your ignorant posts.

@ebduncan

I did not even bother reading what you wrote up there.
I did not even get past the first line and then i stopped reading.
Perhaps you should do the same. The end

I would really like something that is a noticeable improvement to a Thuban..It's not looking like it will happen this year :(

And here's some numbers...

Just encoded the Avengers episode "Never, Never Say Die" in Handbrake - took just over 8 minutes for the 51:15 show to another hard drive. Kill-a-watt showed no more than 265W at a peak of around 66% processor. Idling now at 135W.

And here's some numbers...

Just encoded the Avengers episode "Never, Never Say Die" in Handbrake - took just over 8 minutes for the 51:15 show to another hard drive. Kill-a-watt showed no more than 265W at a peak of around 66% processor. Idling now at 135W.

Just keep encoding. That's all it does anyway. LoL

Oh really? It seems that some of them which have those fx cpus can't just accept the fact that its a fail cpu.

Yes really.

It might not have been as good as expectations and compared to the competition, but it was by no means a failure. Additionally, it was the first implementation of an architecture of its kind, so it can't be expected that everything would be launched flawlessly.

Yes really.

It might not have been as good as expectations and compared to the competition, but it was by no means a failure. Additionally, it was the first implementation of an architecture of its kind, so it can't be expected that everything would be launched flawlessly.

Additionally you can just go and talk with your friends about the bulldozer.
Obviously we have already seen how it performs, now i am just waiting for the vishera piledriver to see what it can do.

Additionally you can just go and talk with your friends about the bulldozer.
Obviously we have already seen how it performs, now i am just waiting for the vishera piledriver to see what it can do.

No, you seem to only want to hate/bash on the products.

Okay just tell him to go over 4.0Ghz and lets see what happens.
And also lets ask ebduncan which he has his cpu running at 4.9Ghz.

I can boot at over [email protected] and an FSB around 206 - it's almost stable enough for web browsing. I still keep a BIOS save for this config, if I want to play with it - I might return to it someday with better RAM. Seeing what I could do at 4.0 is what I do with this processor. Like all overclocks once you reach a happy place, you stay there.

I've always been impressed with his overclock, but I'll never clock that high - nice knowing I could, though.

No, you seem to only want to hate/bash on the products.

Which products are you talking about? You mean the bulldozer?
Aren't we here to talk about vishera piledriver?
I have already left the bulldozer arc behind.

I would really like something that is a noticeable improvement to a Thuban..It's not looking like it will happen this year :(

By the looks of it, that ain't going to happen.
There are still people in here arguing about bulldozer. Its amazing :D

Last edited:
I for one was very satisfied with the performance from my overclocked 8120 while I had it. What I didn't like were the heat and power draw. If the 8350 can overclock to 4.6 while being cooled by an H100 on low, with a 10% IPC improvement, and be priced $200 or less, I will pick one up. I think most of those are feasible, except maybe the price.

All this thread is missing is JF-AMD coming in and telling us that ES benchmarks aren't final numbers.

I can boot at over [email protected] and an FSB around 206 - it's almost stable enough for web browsing. I still keep a BIOS save for this config, if I want to play with it - I might return to it someday with better RAM. Seeing what I could do at 4.0 is what I do with this processor. Like all overclocks once you reach a happy place, you stay there.

I've always been impressed with his overclock, but I'll never clock that high - nice knowing I could, though.

Good to know

Last edited:
The FX cpu's do undervolts quite well. Yes most AMD cpu's do but if you're not OC'ing the heck out of the FX you can raise the multiplier and undervolt a bit too, thus reducing power consumption.

I reckon I'm pulling less power from the wall with the 6100 v the 840 x4 I was using before, and in around a 50% lift in performance in some apps, for file compression it's almost twice as fast as the older CPU. So that's not bad really taken in the context of cost/power consumption/performance.

I'm sure PD will be improved how much we will have to wait and see
The FX8 series is quite juicy with heavy overclocks

I think I'm planning on one of these next year for my work computer unless Intel comes out with a very cheap six core with VT-d support.

unless Intel comes out with a very cheap six core with VT-d support.

Maybe on the first generation 16nm process in 2014. This will not happen for haswell. And it surely will not happen until AMDs 8 core or possibly 10 core is more competitive with Intel's 6 core / 12 threaded processor.

Back