Viewsonic VX2025wm arrived! First impressions and pics

Blue Falcon said:
It has speakers? :D

I never actually paid much attention, so it does... lol I guess that could be handy for portability or something.

:p yea, i found out it had speakers about 5 hours after hooking it up lol ive got my desktop at 1680/1050 and together with a OCed X1800XL its awesome. and i still dont know where the speakers are located. but itleast they work. lol sounds pretty crisp while running it with my surround speakers.. so you can keep subwoofer bass loud and always have clear voices ;) ive noticed alot of people have purchased this monitor. i mainly got it becuase of this review so thanks dude! i played titan quest demo at 1680/1050 also. and it looks great! does black and white 2 support these modes?

wow. long thread :)

i just picked this monitor up yesterday (moving up from 19" WS), and initially the "screen door" effect really bothered me. switched from analog to DVI and the problem seems to be gone.

picked it up at office depot, $399 less $30 coupon code less $50 MIR.

I also have the same "distortion" akin to backlight bleeding, and as mentioned it only appears in low light with a black screen, and changes with viewing angle. can live with it i think, except that the bottom left has a "purplish" hue to it.. may need to swap it.

running an x1800xt, and i miss the the calibration tool found in nv drivers. is there anything similar to his to help calibrate the color?

text is definately very sharp, but the white seems a little "off" compared to my old lcd. while it lacks some features (only tilt adj and only anlog & dvi input) it's still a very nice monitor, but i'm not sure i am completely satisfied with it just yet... was originally going to get the gateway 21", but this was a very good "bang for the buck" being over $250 cheaper after MIR.

I've achieved centered timings;

CATALYST 6.4 drivers
ATI Tray Tools v1.0.5.880RC
Sapphire ATI x800 GTO^2 PCI-E >> DVI Port

hope the pictures help, cheers.

centered_timings1.jpg

centered_timings2.jpg

centered_timings3.jpg

centered_timings4.jpg

Centered timings are easy as pie with any fairly recent Catalyst drivers as far as I know. It's the damn nVidia drivers and certain 7900 series cards that seem to be giving a lot of people trouble (myself included).

d-frag-r said:
I've achieved centered timings;

CATALYST 6.4 drivers
ATI Tray Tools v1.0.5.880RC
Sapphire ATI x800 GTO^2 PCI-E >> DVI Port

hope the pictures help, cheers.

you can do it in a lot fewer steps from CCC:

ccc_no_scaling.jpg

I'm down to either buying this or the Dell 2007. I also have a 7800 GS on the way and it lists the maximum resolution as 1600x1200 in DVI. Is there anyway I could run this in a native res still or at least make it look good in a lesser resolution?

No. While some LCD's do a better job than others at running non-native resolutions, I haven't seen one that can run them as well as their native res. Especially under DVI-A or DVI-D.

Well, I've tried the Samsung 215tw, Samsung 204B and now the Viewsonic widescreen.

The 215TW was beautiful, not hardly any blacklight issues, great color, but it had a light area (that didn't show up as backlight bleed) on about the left 1/4 of the screen. After I noticed it it sorta was annoying.

The 204B just had to much backlight bleeding and the screen was not uniform in brightness.

The Viewsonic has pretty bad blacklight bleed and a dark area on the left side middle of the screen. It's going back also,

I may just go back to my Dell 21" CRT. :eek:

I may have to go back to the 215TW and see if I can get one without the light area.

We'll see.

gman said:
Well, I've tried the Samsung 215tw, Samsung 204B and now the Viewsonic widescreen.

The 215TW was beautiful, not hardly any blacklight issues, great color, but it had a light area (that didn't show up as backlight bleed) on about the left 1/4 of the screen. After I noticed it it sorta was annoying.

The 204B just had to much backlight bleeding and the screen was not uniform in brightness.

The Viewsonic has pretty bad blacklight bleed and a dark area on the left side middle of the screen. It's going back also,

I may just go back to my Dell 21" CRT. :eek:

I may have to go back to the 215TW and see if I can get one without the light area.

We'll see.

Dude, sorry to say NO LCD is going to be perfect given the current technology of LCD's, there will always been a drawback no matter what company of LCD maker you buy.

If you want absolute perfection then stick with CRT's.

RedLegos said:
I'm down to either buying this or the Dell 2007. I also have a 7800 GS on the way and it lists the maximum resolution as 1600x1200 in DVI. Is there anyway I could run this in a native res still or at least make it look good in a lesser resolution?

RedLegos, I wouldn't worry about it. I have a mere 6800 GS, and I ran 1680x1050 just fine in both DVI and VGA. I'm completely sure, unless your card has an unforeseen flaw, that you will have no problem running it at that resolution as well. ;)

RedLegos said:

Your 7800GS will do 1680x1050 just fine. :)

Dude, sorry to say NO LCD is going to be perfect given the current technology of LCD's, there will always been a drawback no matter what company of LCD maker you buy. If you want absolute perfection then stick with CRT's.

Yeah, I know that, nothings perfect, and I can live with some backlighting, but I think if they can make a uniform screen then why are they even making them? I know I'll just have to find one and live with it because I can't go back to my gigantic 75 ib. 21" Dell CRT. :eek:

Does any one know how to get this thing to work with dvi?. Ive tryed everything viewsonic has told me and its still not working. i know the dvi input isint dead cause i used it before i switched the monitor to my new computer.

ThatsAgood1jay said:
Does any one know how to get this thing to work with dvi?. Ive tryed everything viewsonic has told me and its still not working. i know the dvi input isint dead cause i used it before i switched the monitor to my new computer.

Is the LCD staying in sleep mode when connected via DVI? (power LED turns yellow)

It could be that the EDID information in the monitor has been corrupted which has happened in some cases with some LCDs and some nVidia cards. You can either RMA the monitor or fix it with the DVI_Recover utility.

Is the LCD staying in sleep mode when connected via DVI? (power LED turns yellow

Well when ever i try to use the dvi it says "no signal" then turns off. Where can i get that dvi_recover?

Good luck. I've been working with ViewSonic on this for a few weeks now, including sending it in for repairs, and the thing's still out of commission. I really like this monitor, but if I'd known that its DVI input was going to fail this much, I can't say I'd have even considered it. Now I'm waiting on a 'higher up' to call me back. We'll see where this goes... :mad:

Hello, this is my first experience here in hardforum, and i just subscribed to join in in the chat and to share what i know.

First, i will begin by posting this cool site about most of the cool LCD screens reviewed by behardware's Vincent Alzieu:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/619-1/updated-survey-13-lcd-20-5-6-8-16-ms.html

Second, in conclusion when reading and analyzing the site mentioned above, it came down to 2 screens:

1. The Viewsonic VX2025WM and 2. The Asus PW 201.

Third, Since i live in the Middle East, I called the local distributor of Viewsonic, and he told me that the VX2025WM will retail for about $650-760, He said he will contact me after two weeks to give me his final price. Very Discouraging.

But, the good news is, since i live in the ME, the Taiwanese company Asus calculated the price for the PW201 for about $550-650 (notice the very slight jump in price compared to viewsonic) I will know the final price tomorrow.

I Still am not so sure about the Asus since there are hardly any sites whom have reviewed the product, Except for pcworld which reviewed both, and shockingly, in contrary to behardware's Vincent Alzieu, pcworld gave the higher mark for the Asus, here are the two reviews:
Viewsonic
Asus

You can go into a more detailed comparison by clicking on the "Test Report" button.

Anyways, thanks for your time, and hope my contribution to this topic was usefull. Thanks.

Did some input lag testing today, just out of curiosity.

Camera is set on 1/1600th exposure which is why the photos are so dark - I wanted the exposure to be as quick as possible for accuracy's sake.

CRT is a plain jane Dell 17" @ 60hz (same refresh as the VX2025WM and is running in clone mode on my Geforce 7900GT. The VX2025WM is running it's native resolution of 1680x1050 and the CRT is running it's max resolution which I think is 1280x1024 (can't remember),

LCD on the left, CRT on the right.

So seems to be about 12 to 13 ms lag which I'm not even sure can be attributed to the LCD itself. I'm going to dig out another CRT and hook it up and compare the results when it's hooked up in place of the LCD.

----EDIT----

OK here are some reference shots. Two 17" CRTs, one a plain jane Dell and the other an IBM. Both were running at the same resolution and refresh rate.

IBM CRT on the left, Dell CRT on the right.

Now the Viewsonic VX2025WM next to the 17" Dell CRT again. This time both are running the exact same resolution (1024x768) and refresh rate (60hz).

LCD on the left, CRT on the right.

I actually took several more shots and they all seemed to show fluctuations between no delay and around 30ms. I'm not really sure why, the only difference between this and the first set of screenshots is that the VX2025WM is running at lower than native resolution.

Anyway I don't notice anything when gaming, and I play HL2DM and CS:S a lot. If anything I'm playing BETTER than with my old Hyundai L90D+.

I don't know why I decided to do this test, I was just curious after hearing all this stuff about input lag with other LCDs like the Dells. :) Take it all with a big bucket of salt. :p

Help please?
I have a ghosting and calibration issue.

Ghosting: When I move the camera fast enough ibn games like WoW it blurs. When I move windows on the deskstop slowly, its just fine, very fast, it'S just fine, at medium speed, the window blurs.

And how do you calibrate it? I tried following some settings posted and I ust have gotten it very wrong cuz it was awfull. The writing doesn't seem that sharp yet either, and I do use clearfonts and have cranked up the sharpness a little, but cranking it up too much doesn't seem to give very good results graphic-wise.

I also saw some gradient tools or something posted, and some cool videos(one with dolphins when I read the whole thread b4 buying the monitor, and I can't seem to find them again if anyone know where they are. It's also my first LCD monitor so it might take some getting used to. I'd just like to have that "That's just perfect" feel when I look at it and be as giddy as a schoolgirl when I play games and do things. Widescreen owns though.

ThatsAgood1jay said:

ummmm somethings wrong i think.

Have you reinstalled your ForceWare drivers since you got the LCD? If not you should do so and then your monitor will be detected properly as a flat panel and you will get additional options in the nvidia control panel.

I had the same issue after plugging in the new LCD for the first time and reinstalling the drivers fixed it.

Have you tried turning off the computer, then plugging the monitor in and turning it back on?

I've been away from this thread for a bit, but thought I would post my observations on using this monitor.

I had 1 (maybe 2 side by side) dead pixel on the far right side of the screen, maybe 1/4" in from the right. Since its so damn wide (the screen) I dont even see it. But it still annoys me that I have NEVER purchased an LCD that was free of dead pixels. I guess thats my curse.

As for DVI issues, none here. I am using a BFG 7800GT 256MB card, forceware 91.31 beta, XP Pro, and the monitor goes into sleep mode and recovers without issue. Also have recently installed Vista 64bit and its default Nvidia drivers work the same. I guess for the price, and overall quality of this monitor, I should give it some slack about the dead pixel! :) Seems to be the best LCD I've had yet! :D

curveball692 said:
I've been away from this thread for a bit, but thought I would post my observations on using this monitor.

I had 1 (maybe 2 side by side) dead pixel on the far right side of the screen, maybe 1/4" in from the right. Since its so damn wide (the screen) I dont even see it. But it still annoys me that I have NEVER purchased an LCD that was free of dead pixels. I guess thats my curse.

As for DVI issues, none here. I am using a BFG 7800GT 256MB card, forceware 91.31 beta, XP Pro, and the monitor goes into sleep mode and recovers without issue. Also have recently installed Vista 64bit and its default Nvidia drivers work the same. I guess for the price, and overall quality of this monitor, I should give it some slack about the dead pixel! :) Seems to be the best LCD I've had yet! :D

Thanks for your helpful post, could you please list the LCD's that you have owned in the past? Thanks.

*** And how do you guys print screen like that? ****

Isaacav2 said:
Thanks for your helpful post, could you please list the LCD's that you have owned in the past? Thanks.

In any version of Windows you can press the Print Screen key (Prt Scr) and it will take a snapshot of your entire screen and store it in the clipboard buffer. From then all you have to do is fire up an image editor (Photoshop, Irfanview, Paint, etc) and paste it into a new document.

If you just want to capture the active window, you can hold down the ALT key while pressing print screen. :)

Isaacav2 said:

This one replaced my Viewsonic VP171b, and I have had a few different Dell's at work, currently using a Dell 1704FPV. Not a huge lineage, but at the price and quality and the fact that its an 8bit panel, I love the thing! Havent gotten to my games yet, so that could change everything. :eek:

Ok, after a week of using my VX2025WM, I can report that I have no major gripes at this thing.

No dead pixel. No lag issue that I can see.(I stand in middle of Ironforge and spin the world just for the hell of seeing any of those glowy weapon/armor on the characters spears and such, nothing out of the ordinary, if not good). Goes to sleep and wakes up without a hitch.

The only small gripe I have is that when viewing this LCD at an angle, I think the anti-reflective thingiemabobber feature made it seem like it has more gamma then normal. Wouldn't bother me since I'm always in front of it, but may be an issue when someone is watching from the side. That is to say, nothing is wrong with the displayed image at an angle. Still see all that is to see and clear. Just that it has slightly more gamma than viewing from directly in front.

I have played Oblivion on this thing and it is just AWSOME. :)

Another small gripe is that this monitor doesn't pivot from side to side. Some times I just wanna turn the monitor and show a friend something quick. I'm thinking of the Ergonomic(sp?) desk arm for the LCD. Seems like a usefull thing to have with a nice display.

DuyNgn said:
Ok, after a week of using my VX2025WM, I can report that I have no major gripes at this thing.

No dead pixel. No lag issue that I can see.(I stand in middle of Ironforge and spin the world just for the hell of seeing any of those glowy weapon/armor on the characters spears and such, nothing out of the ordinary, if not good). Goes to sleep and wakes up without a hitch.

The only small gripe I have is that when viewing this LCD at an angle, I think the anti-reflective thingiemabobber feature made it seem like it has more gamma then normal. Wouldn't bother me since I'm always in front of it, but may be an issue when someone is watching from the side. That is to say, nothing is wrong with the displayed image at an angle. Still see all that is to see and clear. Just that it has slightly more gamma than viewing from directly in front.

I have played Oblivion on this thing and it is just AWSOME. :)

Another small gripe is that this monitor doesn't pivot from side to side. Some times I just wanna turn the monitor and show a friend something quick. I'm thinking of the Ergonomic(sp?) desk arm for the LCD. Seems like a usefull thing to have with a nice display.

I fixed that by attaching mine to this kick ass stand for a great price. Now it tilts, pivots, rotates and swings. See my review here

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1029597440#post1029597440

Are there still problems with this monitor and the Geforce7900GT? (Something about DVI problems iirc.)

aen said:
Are there still problems with this monitor and the Geforce7900GT? (Something about DVI problems iirc.)

I have seen sporadic reports of the EDID information in the VX2025WM being corrupted when used with some nvidia cards, but not the 7900GT in specific. This problem is due to the fact that Viewsonic didn't enable the write protect bit in the EDID info, and something with the nvidia cards and/or drivers is randomly corrupting the EDID info and causing the monitor to remain in sleep mode when connected via DVI.

The DVI_Recover program originally used to fix this very same problem with some Dell flat panels also works great with the Viewsonic. It fixes the EDID info and flips the write protect bit to keep the EDID information from being corrupted again. It's also been reported that this issue only happens with early revisions of this monitor, and certain ForceWare driver versions.

The other problem that specifically affects 7900 series cards has to do with adapter scaling of non-native resolutions. With 7900 series cards non native resolutions are stretched to fill the monitor screen no matter the selection you make in the nvidia control panel. I'm pretty confident this is a software issue that will be resolved with a future driver release.

I have an eVGA 7900GT and havent experienced ANY issues aside from the scaling issue noted above. It's absolutely beautiful and I am SO glad I went with this monitor versus the Benq 20.1" widescreen that's been on sale lately.

So if the 7900 series isnt an issue with this monitor, I might look at getting one of those new 7950GX2 cards! Anyone used one with this monitor yet?

Skelaton4 said:
I like mine so much i am thinking about doing dual 20 inchers :)
And who says size doesnt matter? :D

iI picked my last one up for 270 and maybe i can get this for 270 also.. so thats like 520 bucks for 40 inch wide tv :p not to bad :D

Bigger the better :D Sold my ps2 so its liek a free lcd :p

Hello all...

I bought this LCD a couple of weeks back and it really is great.

My only problem with it, and I think it's a big problem at least on mine, is the backlight bleeding.

While watching Lost (dark scenes) and games like F.E.A.R. I can really notice the light in the 4 corners. I tried to ignore it at first but I realized it's really annoying to me.

Anyone else have a backlight problem that bothers them? My 30 day warranty period with buy.com has expired and I'm trying to complain with Viewsonic. They're not very good about answering emails. I might have to call them.

Anyone RMA'd directly with Viewsonic for a backlight problem?

Thanks in advance!

RomanMtz said:
Hello all...

I bought this LCD a couple of weeks back and it really is great.

My only problem with it, and I think it's a big problem at least on mine, is the backlight bleeding.

While watching Lost (dark scenes) and games like F.E.A.R. I can really notice the light in the 4 corners. I tried to ignore it at first but I realized it's really annoying to me.

Anyone else have a backlight problem that bothers them? My 30 day warranty period with buy.com has expired and I'm trying to complain with Viewsonic. They're not very good about answering emails. I might have to call them.

Anyone RMA'd directly with Viewsonic for a backlight problem?

Thanks in advance!

I think everyone has that problem. Ya its hard to ignore but w.e. It only happens when the screen goes black.

Back