Video Games Feed Male Urge To Conquer

HardOCP News

[H] News
Scientists at the Center for Interdisciplinary Brain Sciences Research at Stanford University claim that video games feed the male urge to conquer. On the other hand, women in the study didn’t exhibit the same behavior. I’ll bet the results would be the opposite if they studied “shopping” instead of video games.

"I think it's fair to say that males tend to be more intrinsically territorial. It doesn't take a genius to figure out who historically are the conquerors and tyrants of our species – they're the males. "Most of the computer games that are really popular with males are territory and aggression-type games."

On the other hand, women in the study didn’t exhibit the same behavior. I’ll bet the results would be the opposite if they studied “shopping” instead of video games.

Or if the videogame was about confusing men...

Couldn't agree more, its why I end up in aggressive MMO guilds and why my guild is currently fending off an insurrection by half the guilds on my server banding together to try and take down our battlekeep in 3-times-a-week raids. Its getting crazy. Love AoC!

They had to do a study to learn this common sense knowledge about male and our need for dominance? No wonder they couldn't come up with a better name for their institute! :D

Though I personally don't feel it is about being "territorial" as much as dominating or being the victor. Being territorial implies trying to stake claim in land( in most cases ) and a lot of games are not about acquiring anything, but certainly are about conquering!

No. YOu don't say. So in this same vein me going out hunting feeds the need to conquer? What bout building a bigger computer case with MEGAGIGAQUADS OF TERRARAM!!?

Here let me do a scientific proof for future studies:

Scientists show <Events that involve competition> cause for an increase in <Male hormone> very similar to <Event in the past that was violent>. Scientists are unsure if this is <If negative report put the word "BAD" if positive put in the word "GOOD"> but will continue to study it based on <Where idiots got money from>

Barrels of blood-wine, busty women and enemies to slaughter that is the way of the warrior! However just because I enjoy an occasional nuclear explosion doesn't mean I also like clothes and such. I enjoy shopping clothes for my video game avatars. Video games are a way to both let my aggressive tendencies and my more feminine tendencies to run free. After all that's what games are about, at least roleplayng games.

Makes sense to me. This is why "my little pony" and "barbie" games always fail. And always will.

I suppose this study explains why I always trap my neighbors in walls, without food, toilets or other necessary amenities, when I play The Sims. I simply have natural urge to conquer my neighbors...and ZOMBIES and MONSTERS and ALIENS and NAZIS and DEMONS and...

"personally" is my word damnit your not allowed to use it.
I'LL PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE! (I'm being an aggressive and territorial manly-man, if you can't tell)

Makes sense to me. This is why "my little pony" and "barbie" games always fail. And always will.
Yeah, they always fail to not make incredible amounts of money is what they fail at. The Gears of War franchise is merely a pebble compared to the massive boulders that are My Little Pony and Barbie franchises.

That's funny, I love having new stuff. Maybe its just the grocery shopping that women just LOVE to do and men don't? Is that it, Steve?

"I think it's fair to say that males tend to be more intrinsically territorial. It doesn't take a genius to figure out who historically are the conquerors and tyrants of most species &#8211; they're the males. "Most of the computer games that are really popular with males are territory and aggression-type games."

Gosh these people are fuckwits.

hey, guys like to shop too.... so long as it's at places like Newegg :)
:confused:

Why do that if you can meet all your ultimate gaming, computational, and technical support needs at Best Buy?*

*A joke can be found in this sentence.

:confused:

Why do that if you can meet all your ultimate gaming, computational, and technical support needs at Best Buy?*

*A joke can be found in this sentence.

The forum even highlighted it in green lettering and underlined it TWICE! :D:D

Back