Video Game Collection Sold For $1.2M

HardOCP News

[H] News
Holy crap, could you imagine selling your video game collection for $1.2M on eBay? Let's just hope the winning bidder was serious and is going to pay this guy. :eek:

The collection includes every video game for many of Nintendo's consoles, every video game for every single Sega console as well as all the games for the lesser-known NEC video game systems. In total, the collection includes 22 full sets with about 7,000 video games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a serious die hard collector. The games are even factory sealed.

I think he meant "I wonder how much the seller had originally paid for the entirety of the collection". Not how much the buyer paid.

Uhhhh...did you even look at the eBay listing? Come on man, do like 5 seconds of research...

And the Dreamcast collection is NOT full...where the Hell is Shenmue 2?! Hmmm...

Uhhhh...did you even look at the eBay listing? Come on man, do like 5 seconds of research...

And the Dreamcast collection is NOT full...where the Hell is Shenmue 2?! Hmmm...

Why are you attacking USF? He didn't ask a question, only correcting someone.

I'm extremely jealous of the seller, 1.2M is a lot...

The collection only contained all of the Japanese(!) games released for each of the consoles, not the EU and NA exclusive releases.

Cheers,

either way i bet he paid less than 50,000 USD for all and got the money for the time he spent on it.

I wonder if that collection contained any of the Nintendo World Championship or Campus Challenge carts.

I wonder if that collection contained any of the Nintendo World Championship or Campus Challenge carts.

I'm fairly sure it does since he lists it as "100% complete" including contest carts. What I wonder is if he's got all the carts from every region or only the carts that were in the Euro zone at the time. But 7000+ carts still factory sealed is insane. This guy has to have some OCD.

does it state the exact cost of every game retail when they bought them all? That was my question, paying retail at each game time period, what is this collection value as to what the owner spent.

does it state the exact cost of every game retail when they bought them all? That was my question, paying retail at each game time period, what is this collection value as to what the owner spent.

lol i was thinking the same thing. On the simplest terms you would think the average game (used to) cost $50 - 7000 x 50, $350,000. Gave or take a few bucks it's gonna be somewhere between 3 - 4k. 4x ROI isn't bad looking at it that way, but I'm pretty sure he didn't pay retail for all those games...

man...doesn't France have VAT?
shoot...bet that's gotta hurt when shipping.
Also imagine the customs declaration forms (wonder if any of those titles were "banned" in the US/EU, etc.)

I thought 1.2 million sounds like a good deal, considering the number of titles and also the fact that these games are no longer in production.

Hmmm ebay doesn't do a bid-history? The fact that the thing sold for 999,999.99 Euros is a little suspicious.... or should I say 999 999,99 :)

It says all brand new, and factory sealed. They could be all empty boxes.:eek:

Meh, with an emulator you can fit that entire collection on a fingernail size micro USB drive, and no need for blow-jobs or cleaning of the connections due to oxidation over the years.

man...doesn't France have VAT?
shoot...bet that's gotta hurt when shipping.
Also imagine the customs declaration forms (wonder if any of those titles were "banned" in the US/EU, etc.)

VAT is only for companies not private trades (you need to be registered or something)...
Some countries only have import tax for first party goods. So if you resell it's considered you've already paid taxes on it (I think... you don't pay import on yoour luggage...)

They are NES games, they are unliekly to have anything remotely illegal in them, or still relevant. They probably wouldn't even check! :D

Meh, with an emulator you can fit that entire collection on a fingernail size micro USB drive, and no need for blow-jobs or cleaning of the connections due to oxidation over the years.

:rolleyes:

You don't seem to grasp the point of a collection like this. I can download pics of the Mona Lisa but it's not really the same thing, now is it?

:rolleyes:

You don't seem to grasp the point of a collection like this. I can download pics of the Mona Lisa but it's not really the same thing, now is it?

I'm pretty sure the Duck is just being a rational and practical sort of person about it. *quack!*

They don't have the small USB drives that big. Unless they make them really huge capacity now (thumb drives, not external HDD's). >150GB at least...

And I like blow jobs.

They don't have the small USB drives that big. Unless they make them really huge capacity now (thumb drives, not external HDD's). >150GB at least...

And I like blow jobs.

I dunno, most NES roms are less than 200 KB. SNES and Genesis ROMS rarely are more than 2 MB. A cheapo 16 GB thumb drive could handle a ton of old games.

Can you imagine as a kid getting that for Christmas... *head explodes*

My Steam account alone must be worth 200K

I'd be unfair to brag, but my Steam account has Fallout: New Vegas, some crappy Magic the Gathering game, and I played like four or five hours of Team Fortress with it before I figured out that FPS makes me wanna throw up and I'm not playing through being sick to get my brain to not wanna throw up again.

Can you imagine as a kid getting that for Christmas... *head explodes*

Haha - This would most definitly have happened to me. I mean - how could you even begin to process that? Your parents would say 'Here you are kiddo - 7000 games and 5 systems. We hope you like it!' Wouldn't be able to respond, just...:eek: :eek:

...... but they're OLD!!!!!! I can hear that instead of being pleasantly surprised.

I dunno, most NES roms are less than 200 KB. SNES and Genesis ROMS rarely are more than 2 MB. A cheapo 16 GB thumb drive could handle a ton of old games.

Dreamcast, though? They can hold what? 1.2 GB on the disc (proprietary)? Even if they are at 256MB for a game (a lot are), that still might break the 16 GB territory on the whole collection. But, I do see it probably fitting on there.

Now, add MAME, PCSX2, etc. on there, and you're getting a LOT more space. :D

Dreamcast, though? They can hold what? 1.2 GB on the disc (proprietary)? Even if they are at 256MB for a game (a lot are), that still might break the 16 GB territory on the whole collection. But, I do see it probably fitting on there.

Now, add MAME, PCSX2, etc. on there, and you're getting a LOT more space. :D

Oh yeah, that's a good point too. There's certainly some space needed for CD-based consoles. I guess something like an external hard drive might be a better idea for someone to go totally nuts with emulation.

Back