VGA on SERVER

secure.boy

Limp Gawd
I have IBM x3105 server with 2 pci 8x,and 2 pci slots
is possible to put vga on that mobo?

does it not have an integrated video port?

Or is there a special reason you are wanting to put a video card in it?

Do you not have any video at all? I'd generally expect integrated video.

There are lots of PCI video cards available for pennies. I suggest a Matrox Millenium or Mystique for quality and stability.

What's a PCI 8x slot? Do you mean PCI Express 8x? You can use any PCI-E video card in a PCI 8x slot.

Do you not have any video at all? I'd generally expect integrated video.

There are lots of PCI video cards available for pennies. I suggest a Matrox Millenium or Mystique for quality and stability.

What's a PCI 8x slot? Do you mean PCI Express 8x? You can use any PCI-E video card in a PCI 8x slot.
pci express 8x
it has ati with 16 mb ram
but i want to use as workstation
i want to put in nvidia 7300 can i?

If the slot happens to be of the x16 length, but simply only offers 8 lanes, you can just plug a PCI-Express x16 video card such at the 7300 you're looking at in, and it should work fine.

If the slots are really x8 slots, which are much shorter than the x16 slots used for most graphics cards, you need a video card that can plug into one, such a PCI-E x1 card, like these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E&N=2010380048+1069620108&name=PCI+Express+x1

Or, you could grab a PCI card. If you're wanting to use a GeForce 7300, you're presumably not wanting to use this as a workstation in the high dollar AutoCAD fancy geometry rendering sense.

ok
but the connector is not same with PCI-Express x16??????

Just plug it in. It'll work.

PCI-E cards are all backwards-slot compatible. An 8800GT will function normally (albeit with much slower 3D performance) in a PCI-E 1x slot, despite all the pins that are hanging out unattached.

I hope your not referring to a PCI-X slot. Please give us a link to an image (newegg). I would like to see the board. It's the only way to be certain.

Indeed, why don't you just test it out and let us know?

DSCF9977.jpg

pci e 8x

Here you go:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&Subcategory=48&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

These are all PCI-E x1 video cards and will work in your PCI-E x8 slots.

If you can, go with either the ATI X1300 or 1550 cards, or if you want expensive, go with the NVS 440. None of these cards are really high or even mid-end though. For the price of some of those cards, you would be better off getting a new/different mobo and a decent gfx card on PCI-E x16 (not that it really matters for cards of this level).

If this is why you are looking at getting a NVS 285, don't do it. I'm telling you, I've been down this same road too damn many times to do it ever again. I should have just spent a little more cash and gotten a decent setup (for the time). I highly recommend you to do the same.

Just plug it in. It'll work.

PCI-E cards are all backwards-slot compatible. An 8800GT will function normally (albeit with much slower 3D performance) in a PCI-E 1x slot, despite all the pins that are hanging out unattached.

No, it won't. The *physical* slot has to be at least as big as the card plugging into it. Eg, a PCI-E x16 card will ONLY fit in an x16 slot, but an x8 card will fit in either an x8 or x16 slot.

PCIe 8x i beleive can alsobe modded to take a16x size card by removing a plasic divider in the slot.

^^ as said the slot has to be at least the size of the cards connector.

If you cut away the end of the 8x slot, you can use a 16x card in it with the end sticking out. You could also cut a notch in the contacts of the 16x card at the position of the end of the 8x slot (decide whether you'd rather cut the motherboard or the card).

I would just toss an old PCI card into it. That's what I'm going to do on my next build. It's going to run headless all the time anyway but I'll need a video card in it to do the initial install. I'm going to use one of three PCI cards: Voodoo3 2000, Rendition chipset 4 meg card or an old S3/Trio 2 meg card. I probably have a few other old PCI video cards laying around but I know where all of those are.

Back