vertically standing a home av-receiver

So I've been clueless ever since I've built my computer as to how to manage to space on my 6' desk with a large monitor, two large speakers, a home theater amp, and a full size Lian-Li.

I used to lay the Lian-Li horizontally, with the receiver on top, but I have been thinking, why not just keep the tower upright and try making the receiver stand upright next to the tower? Does anyone do this? Because this would save me a few inches of desk space.

Just wondering, thanks.

-----------
-----------

vs.

| |
| |
| |
| |

Most receivers I've seen would'nt be too sturdy standing vertical (even with the heavy part near the desk).... Have you ever considered getting an audio rack? (Think vertical)

With an audio rack, you can stack many things that would not normally be stackable, and make use of vertical space as opposed to horizontal room on a desk or whatnot.

In my dorm room, I have my UPS and main computer under the audio rack, a printer on top, and a spare shelf in the middle. It sure saves room in the long run if you can fit it near your desk.

Would this be an option?

~Hope this helps

i eventually got an audio rack because my tv, reciever, dvd player, cd changer and printer were cluttering up everything. now everything liked nice and tidy, while only take up a couple square feet of real estate next to my desk.

yea, all that nice heat from the transformer bathing the rest of the components constantly...

i wouldn't do it, personally... but, as always, that's my opinion...

a rack is the way to go...

um, if it was the other way, the heat from the transistors would do the same thing. And the transformer is the heaviest part, would you really put that towards the top?

dandragonrage said:
um, if it was the other way, the heat from the transistors would do the same thing. And the transformer is the heaviest part, would you really put that towards the top?
For crying out loud... of course you would'nt want the heavy part near the top.......... yikes.

I can see it now, cat jumps up on the desk, uses the corner to scratch her neck, and down it goes ^_^. (cute kitty)

dandragonrage said:

um... i wouldn't put it sideways either way...

only if you put in some kind of fan-cooling system to ensure the amp stage and the power stage get adequate cooling.

otherwise don't.

I'd worry about it overheating. Try calling tech support and see what they say

maybe I'll find a different way, its a 500 dollar Denon with vents only on the top. my room is screwy in that my desk fits into a little niche in the wall created by a protruding closet on the same wall. therefore it would be hard to put a rack next to it and make the mouse reach and such. Its goofy, this is the only wall that will work because one wall has interference from washers and dryers, one is by a window that rain comes in through, and the other is occupied by my bed that wont fit any other way. That is why i have been fighting with this damn arrangement for 3+ years. The main reason that I want to get this stuff spread out is because by speakers are not magnetically shielded and interfere with my monitor.

hmmm

I'd say, time to buy a TFT display...

....or get some of those audiosource amplifiers/preamps that are super skinny, and just hide the amps under the desk somewhere, and leave the preamp up top.

i bought one of those Viewsonic vp912b 19inch 12ms displays for 580 bucks about a year ago and the image on the lcd seemed so poor compared to the CRT so i gave the lcd to my mom. I simply couldn't use the LCD in some instances it because i could not see what was going on in some games. It was too much of an annoyance. I am probably going to end up using my speaker stands, but the speakers will be in very very awkward and cockeyed positions. oh well

Back