Verizon Shared Plans = Massive Rate Increase?

verizon is working on that: VoLTE

It's just to simplify their back end and will largely be transparent to users. It's kind of similar to how most long distance calls are converted to IP at some point as it's much easier to manage, but that largely hasn't stopped long distance companies from charging by the minute.

Verizon and AT&T has largely done what you both want. They don't count minutes and text, but they now meter data. The fact that it will eventually all be data in the back end is irrelevant. If you think that either one will ever go completely flat rate for all three, or think they will officially call it all data to their customersI have a bridge to sell ya.

My friend actually saved some money going with the share plan today.
She was paying $190/mo for 3 lines, 1400 minutes, unlimited Text on one line, 250 text on another, not sure about the 3rd line, and each line had 2GB of data.

the Talk and Text plan came out to $195/mo, unlimited talk and text, 6GB Data Pool, and Mobile Hotspot.
She just got an iPad 3 today and we were going to get the mobile hotspot feature added to her plan, which would have been $20 more per month for her line only but is included in the Share plan on all lines.

And the main reason she called was due to overages with the texts, she thought her son caused the $100 in overage fees, but it turns out he only had $25 in overages. she had inadvertently went way over her texts, 250 limit and she had almost 900 texts, and her grandson had purchased some games on his phone, which is the 3rd line.
The rep was really nice and backdated her plan change so that some of it would be credited back.

I've got to go back there this weekend and see what we can do about getting wifi/internet access near her bedroom, her house is so large and is brick that the signal from the home office doesn't reach the other end of the house.
http://transamws6.com/pics/transam/ta_house.jpg
Office is above the garage on the right and faces the backyard, bedroom is all the way on the left at the rear of the house also facing the backyard.

I've got to go back there this weekend and see what we can do about getting wifi/internet access near her bedroom, her house is so large and is brick that the signal from the home office doesn't reach the other end of the house.
http://transamws6.com/pics/transam/ta_house.jpg
Office is above the garage on the right and faces the backyard, bedroom is all the way on the left at the rear of the house also facing the backyard.

Could you just run a wired or wireless WAP from the Office Wireless Router to an area that would reach the end of the house. I live in an remodeled old (> 100 years) house with the old plaster walls with the Wire mesh underneath which is hell on Wifi also. I had to run wired WAP's from my router in order to get complete coverage.

You could also look into high power repeaters, but I chose WAP over repeaters because from my understanding you lose bandwith going with a repeater more than a wired WAP.

And the main reason she called was due to overages with the texts, she thought her son caused the $100 in overage fees, but it turns out he only had $25 in overages. she had inadvertently went way over her texts, 250 limit and she had almost 900 texts, and her grandson had purchased some games on his phone, which is the 3rd line.
The rep was really nice and backdated her plan change so that some of it would be credited back.

Yeah, overages are dangerous, especially when there are teenagers involved.

This happened to my wife a few years ago. She added a line for my oldest stepson and asked them to set it up just like her line. (She had unlimited texting on hers).

I don;t know what happened, but when the first bill arrived there were $6,000 of texting overages on my stepsons line. It seems like the people in the store never added the unlimited texting to his phone like they were asked. After months of arguing with Verizon, they never accepted responsibility for the mistake and only agreed to halve the bill, still having her owe $3,000 for their mistake.

It was infuriating, and the main reason I've been with AT&T as long as I have. AT&T may have a shitty network, but when there are billing inconsistencies they always fix them. I've had great customer service with them.

I've been reluctant to switch to Verizon for this reason, but its gotten to the point where I can no longer take the awful network, with constant disconnects and slow transfer speeds, so I'm going to make the switch anyway.

Could you just run a wired or wireless WAP from the Office Wireless Router to an area that would reach the end of the house. I live in an remodeled old (> 100 years) house with the old plaster walls with the Wire mesh underneath which is hell on Wifi also. I had to run wired WAP's from my router in order to get complete coverage.

You could also look into high power repeaters, but I chose WAP over repeaters because from my understanding you lose bandwith going with a repeater more than a wired WAP.

I have a small house, and I run Ethernet everywhere. I only use WiFi for mobile devices as WiFi sucks really bad.

That being said, give a Ubiquiti Unifi access point a try. They have MUCH better range than consumer models. I had tons of interference problems in my dense neighborhood (with 30+ SSID's visible in the WiFi browser at any given time). My Netgear N600 (WNDR3700) was giving me lots of trouble in this environment. I swapped it out for a Ubiquiti Unifi AP (I used the standard model, but they have extended range models as well) and this $80 Wireless AP solved all my problems. Great devices, and good software to support building networks with multiple AP's if that's what you want to do, but even in a single unit setup they are fantastic.

I replaced the old dlink wireless router with a netgear n750 and the signal was stronger, better reception in the middle of the house.
I went with a new router since we will need wifi in/near her room for the iPad.
One option is running a cat5e or cat6 cable from the office into the attic and across the house and dropping the line in the space between the living room and bedroom and putting the second router on the shelf next to the av equipment, easier than trying to actually get into the bedroom.

Another option was using those Ethernet over power line adapters but I've never used them so I have no idea how good they are.

The equipment in her bedroom would consist of the apple tv3, Samsung tv and bluray/av receiver, and the iPad and iPhone. All of them are wireless capable.

Another option I was considering was moving the router into the bedroom that adjoins the office since that room has line of sight to the her bedroom downstairs. Only problem is trying to run and hide 3 sets of cat 5 cables.

Zarathustra[H];1038956130 said:
I have a small house, and I run Ethernet everywhere. I only use WiFi for mobile devices as WiFi sucks really bad.

That being said, give a Ubiquiti Unifi access point a try. They have MUCH better range than consumer models. I had tons of interference problems in my dense neighborhood (with 30+ SSID's visible in the WiFi browser at any given time). My Netgear N600 (WNDR3700) was giving me lots of trouble in this environment. I swapped it out for a Ubiquiti Unifi AP (I used the standard model, but they have extended range models as well) and this $80 Wireless AP solved all my problems. Great devices, and good software to support building networks with multiple AP's if that's what you want to do, but even in a single unit setup they are fantastic.
Something like this unit?

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-UniFi-Enterprise-System/dp/B004XXMUCQ

3. Linking: You can buy and link as many of these devices as you want. There's no limit to the number of AP's that can be linked via Ethernet cable. On top of that, each Unifi that is plugged into Ethernet can be extended by FOUR Unifis that are not plugged into an Ethernet cable, by wirelessly repeating the signal.

Does the above mean that a can have 1 attached to the router and then basically create a path to the room with additional units only plugged into power?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Something like this unit?

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-UniFi-Enterprise-System/dp/B004XXMUCQ

3. Linking: You can buy and link as many of these devices as you want. There's no limit to the number of AP's that can be linked via Ethernet cable. On top of that, each Unifi that is plugged into Ethernet can be extended by FOUR Unifis that are not plugged into an Ethernet cable, by wirelessly repeating the signal.

Does the above mean that a can have 1 attached to the router and then basically create a path to the room with additional units only plugged into power?

That's exactly the unit I have, and wow, they are even cheaper now. By far the best deal in wireless access points, as you get corporate level equipment for a song!

I have never set up wireless repeating, and I didn't even realize they supported this, but yes, that is what the statement above means. I'm not sure how to do it, bu their support forums are pretty good, with the actual engineers designing the stuff frequently popping their heads in and answering questions.

http://forum.ubnt.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

I have been very happy with mine. I struggled with my consumer wireless router, but this thing just works. Note that you'll still need a separate router, as these are just access points. I would use whatever router is already there, and just disable the WIFI on it and plug the AP in to the back of it using ethernet.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Zarathustra[H];1038956267 said:
That's exactly the unit I have, and wow, they are even cheaper now. By far the best deal in wireless access points, as you get corporate level equipment for a song!

I have never set up wireless repeating, and I didn't even realize they supported this, but yes, that is what the statement above means. I'm not sure how to do it, bu their support forums are pretty good, with the actual engineers designing the stuff frequently popping their heads in and answering questions.

http://forum.ubnt.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

I have been very happy with mine. I struggled with my consumer wireless router, but this thing just works. Note that you'll still need a separate router, as these are just access points. I would use whatever router is already there, and just disable the WIFI on it and plug the AP in to the back of it using ethernet.

Another cool thing is that they come with a power-over-ethernet adapter in the box, so you only need to run one wire (ethernet) to wherever you mount it, instead of both ethernet and power.

I guess I'll order it and if it works out, I'll take the N750 back to best buy and just use the old dlink router with wifi disabled. It will end up being cheaper as the netgear was $130.

Thanks.

I think it just went down in price, could have sworn it was $70+, now it's $69.00

I ordered it so I'll let you all know tomorrow if it works out for us.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
I'm still a little lost on these changes with the shared plans

Right now I have a iphone4s and a samsung galaxy tab 7.0 3G on my plan

the iphone has 450 min for 59.99, unlimited texting for $20 and 4gb of data plus mobile hotspot for $50. Comes to a total of $129.99

The tablet just has 2gb of data on it for $30 a month and no texting plan

Subtotal is 159.99 and I'm paying about $166 a month out the door with insurance, taxes, etc. for both right now, what roughly would it be if I had to move to the shared plan with 7-8gb of data?

update: just found this calculator after some googling and it looks like I would end up saving money by moving over, I would gain unlimited texting and plus hotspot support on the tablet as well if I'm reading it right

update2: sure enough, went and upgraded in my plan settings, now both my tablet and phone have unlimited text and talk plus hotspot support with 4gb of shared data for $20 a month less than I was paying. Move the data up to the same level and I still save $10 while gaining txt plus tether on the tablet, win, win for me

Last edited:
update: just found this calculator after some googling and it looks like I would end up saving money by moving over, I would gain unlimited texting and plus hotspot support on the tablet as well if I'm reading it right

update2: sure enough, went and upgraded in my plan settings, now both my tablet and phone have unlimited text and talk plus hotspot support with 4gb of shared data for $20 a month less than I was paying. Move the data up to the same level and I still save $10 while gaining txt plus tether on the tablet, win, win for me

Yep, looks like its a savings for most with two or more lines (as long as they don't use a shit ton of data, as there is no more unlimited data).

Most people ) only have one line though (I think? I don't know anyone who has more than one phone on an account...), and for them it is a massive price increase, unless they are heavy talkers and burn through minutes, as the new plans are all unlimited voice.

I'm single. Either I will keep my iPhone for the rest of my life so I will just stop using a smart phone. I don't use the phone to talk, the data was just a luxury. Make it too pricy and I will find other ways to get my techno freak on.

The ubiquity device came a half hour ago. Thing is huge, thought it was hockey puck sized when I looked at it on amazon.
Just have to wait till her son comes home to run the cable for me and I'll hook it up.

The ubiquity device came a half hour ago. Thing is huge, thought it was hockey puck sized when I looked at it on amazon.
Just have to wait till her son comes home to run the cable for me and I'll hook it up.

That was quick!

Good luck. I hope you have the same luck with the thing as I have. People rave about it in the networking section of this forum.

Zarathustra[H];1038960170 said:
That was quick!

Good luck. I hope you have the same luck with the thing as I have. People rave about it in the networking section of this forum.

Amazon prime and $8.99 for overnight Saturday deliver.
I'm going to go ahead and test it here at my house since you have to install software, might as well acquaint myself with it while I am waiting to hear back from her.

Amazon prime and $8.99 for overnight Saturday deliver.
I'm going to go ahead and test it here at my house since you have to install software, might as well acquaint myself with it while I am waiting to hear back from her.

Yep. The software is pretty awesome in summarizing things. You can either install it locally or on a linux server. Once it is set up it does not need to remain running.

I tested it here and the software is pretty sweet with all the nifty features.
Funny thing is, software wouldn't load up on my main rig for some reason, Java issue most likely, had to run it on my HTPC.
I am going to assume that the settings are stored in the AP and when I bring it to her place, the settings will still be there?

I tested it here and the software is pretty sweet with all the nifty features.
Funny thing is, software wouldn't load up on my main rig for some reason, Java issue most likely, had to run it on my HTPC.
I am going to assume that the settings are stored in the AP and when I bring it to her place, the settings will still be there?

I've never tried moving it, and setting it back up without software (I've never moved mine at all), but it doesn't need the software to run, only to set it up the first time, so it sounds plausible it would work.

I would plan on bringing a laptop with it, or setting it up on one of her machines though, just in case.

Ya, she has a desktop and laptop that I could use to set it up if it does need to be reconfigured.
Only laptop I have is an old pentium 3 600 that use to tune my Formula.

I changed out plan to the new unlimited talk and text recently. Got 2gb of data. Raised my bill $4. Before I had 700 shared minutes and 250 texts per phone.

The new plans would have stung my gf and I. If we hadn't had unlimited data already, our options would have looked like this before and after for us.

700 minutes, 1000 texts each, and 2Gb of data each
Unlimited talk and text, 2Gb data total

Since we use less than 50 minutes and minimal txts each month, we would have gained nothing and lost data. I would barely get any use out of my phone if I had to worry about these low data caps.

New plans are a joke. Texting is free with a smartphone, and the shared data is a ripoff. It would cost more to get the share plan with 1gb of shared data, than it costs my wife and I now with unlimited for me, and 2gb for her with 700 minutes we don't use, and Google voice for texts.

Right now we have five phones on a plan sharing 1400 minutes, with unlimited text, and unlimited data. Oh and three of the five lines have a "Talk & Text Plus Data" discount of $20 per line. Together we use just about 4.5GB per month of data so it isn't like we're abusing the unlimited data provision but we don't want to lose it either. The plan before taxes is $240/mo, and before the discounts and taxes it would be $300/mo.

The new share everything plan? $300 before taxes, we lose the discount, and we're limited to 10GB/mo. Sure we could get a little cheaper and go with the 6GB share plan but in the end we'd only be signing into a contract where the only benefit is that Verizon is in a better position to nickel and dime us more by using our data up.

If the network did not have as much coverage as it does (a few of us regularly travel to areas where Verizon has by far the best reception) we would have considered other options by now.

Pay just as much, get less. Only at Verizon!

Installed the Unify AP and the settings were stored in the device, just plugged it in and it was available.
Put it in the attic and it covers the entire house. Works great and she's happy.
Just have to head to best buy tomorrow and return the $130 Netgear N750 router.

Installed the Unify AP and the settings were stored in the device, just plugged it in and it was available.
Put it in the attic and it covers the entire house. Works great and she's happy.
Just have to head to best buy tomorrow and return the $130 Netgear N750 router.

Awesome! I'm glad it worked out!

I'm still mad verizon is killing my grandfathered unlimited internet. Would it kill them to just honor those of us who invested early? And charging for texts needs to just be part of a data plan, there is no difference.

I'm still mad verizon is killing my grandfathered unlimited internet. Would it kill them to just honor those of us who invested early? And charging for texts needs to just be part of a data plan, there is no difference.

Verizon is honoring contracts and month to month with unlimited data, just don't sign a new contract by using a discount on a new phone. Use Google Voice for texts and they're free, it's silly to pay an extra $10-$20/mo on texting if you have a smartphone. I even dumped the $5 text plan cause that was a waste of money.

I had the old unlimited data plan being with verizon for years. The GF and I both have a droid and I looked at the new plan. I switched and got double the data I was allotted, (4 gig), plus free hotspot, plus if I add a tablet, which I will eventually, it's only an extra 10 a month. Grand total? Maybe about 2 dollars more a month than I was paying....it's sad to see my old plan go....but this plan is not exactly the ass-raping people are making it out to be.

I should be friggin Verizon sales person. Was at a clients office yesterday fixing a pc and we started to talk about iPads and phone service and told her that family share plans may save her money or give her more features for the same or slightly more money.
She switched last night, costs $10 more but they now have unlimited calling and text on all 5 lines 6gb data pool and mobile hotspot on all the smartphones. They were using less than 3gb/month combined so they decided to pay $10 and get the 6gb since they are replacing a dumb phone with a smart one.

I should be friggin Verizon sales person. Was at a clients office yesterday fixing a pc and we started to talk about iPads and phone service and told her that family share plans may save her money or give her more features for the same or slightly more money.
She switched last night, costs $10 more but they now have unlimited calling and text on all 5 lines 6gb data pool and mobile hotspot on all the smartphones. They were using less than 3gb/month combined so they decided to pay $10 and get the 6gb since they are replacing a dumb phone with a smart one.

lol nice! verizon always trying to rip people off, glad u were there :D

I bought into the higher pricing for the expected iPhone release and grandfathered unlimited internet, now both hardly matter. Most every carrier has the iPhone and the big V will take away my unlimited internet anyway.

Let's see... looking at my bill and comparing to the Verizon Share Everything plan calculator, these new plans would cost my wife and I an extra $30/month in access charges for features that we don't need.

Right now, we're paying $99.97/month in access charges for 550 shared minutes, my Droid3's data plan (grandfathered unlimited, for the time being), my wife's standard cell phone, and two $5/month text plans. The cheapest Share Everything plan that I can come up with for one smart phone and one standard phone is $130/month in access charges.

Considering that we only use 100-200 billable minutes per month, about 1000 free mobile-to-mobile minutes, and only send/receive about 150 text messages each... these new share plans are absolute BS.

The only redeeming quality is the perhaps better network.

It's not really "perhaps" better, it's WAY better (in terms of coverage, anyway).

I used to be on Sprint, too. Verizon is way more reliable.

It's not really "perhaps" better, it's WAY better (in terms of coverage, anyway).

I used to be on Sprint, too. Verizon is way more reliable.

that's how I feel too.

From a coverage and network speed perspective:

Verizon Wireless >> AT&T > Sprint, Nextel, T Mobile.

I don't have any experience with, or know anyone who has the other carriers (MetroPCS, U.S. Cellular, Clearwire, etc.) so I can't comment on them.

Where are MetroPCS and U.S. Cellular big, anyway? I've never seen them around here.

And TracFone and Cricket Wireless I've never heard of before at all. I just see that they are in the op 8 U.S. carriers on Wikipedia...

I've seen Cricket before, they're just really small and thus not that popular.

Really the thing with coverage is, it depends heavily on where you live and how much you travel. If you live in a big city and rarely leave, you can get Sprint or whatever and be fine. However, if you live in a smaller town or out in the boonies, and/or frequently travel outside of your home city, you're probably going to want to get Verizon unless you like dropped calls and shitty data speeds.

My wife and I both have wifi at home and at work, so we don't use 3G much. We were paying $180 for 1400m/no texts/unlimited data for 2 lines.

Now we pay $150 for unlimited minutes/texts/4GB data, and it works out better because we were going over 1400m every few months so would have to pay more, and we hardly ever go over 1GB data.

So yeah. I understand it sucks, and I'm sure it'll bite me someday, but for the foreseeable future these plans are better. :(

Back