Verizon Says Boston FiOS To Come Online 'Within Weeks'

HardOCP News

[H] News
Good news for those of you that live in Boston and are waiting on FiOS. Verizon has announced that it will finally be rolling out FiOS in your area "within weeks."

Back in April Verizon surprised everyone by announcing it was unpausing its all-but-dead FiOS expansion to spend $300 million to expand FiOS throughout Boston. Boston had long been one of a handful of cities that were skipped by Verizon during upgrades, frustrating locals stuck on aging DSL infrastructure. According to Verizon, the company will be spending $300 million to deploy FiOS and help expand the city's wireless infrastructure in preparation for faster 5G wireless speeds.

Huh,

I didn't think this was ever going to happen.

I live in the suburbs where we have had FiOS for down time, but I could have sworn I read that Verizon stopped FiOS expansion a couple of years ago.

That's great news, hey there's another settlement that needs your help FIOS.

Here is a very short video of Google Fiber in action. Hello from Kansas City!

Huh,

I didn't think this was ever going to happen.

I live in the suburbs where we have had FiOS for down time, but I could have sworn I read that Verizon stopped FiOS expansion a couple of years ago.

I could never make sense out of why.

In 2 weeks they'll tell everyone that they finished rolling out their new "Wireless FIOS" to boston, without deploying any actual infrstaructure, pocket the money & tax breaks from the city/gov, then laugh their way to the bank..... Oh wait, that's what they did in the last city they got paid to roll out fiber....

i live outside of boston, my city - only has Comcast. no fios available, and no plans for fios either.

My mother lives outside of Boston. She's had Fios for a decade maybe. They just keep giving her more bandwith for the same price.

i live outside of boston, my city - only has Comcast. no fios available, and no plans for fios either.
wouldn't surprise me if comcast is faster.

IIRC, FiOS isn't even fiber to your door, or at the very least it's reduced speed fiber.

wouldn't surprise me if comcast is faster.

IIRC, FiOS isn't even fiber to your door, or at the very least it's reduced speed fiber.

Verizon FiOS is certainly fiber to your door.

Or, well, in my case, fiber to my basement.

They ran the fiber to my basement, where they installed one of their ONT boxes, which are some sort of transducer that converts the signal to your choice of either Coax (MoCA) or wired Ethernet, to which you connect your router.

Verizon FiOS is certainly fiber to your door.

Or, well, in my case, fiber to my basement.

They ran the fiber to my basement, where they installed one of their ONT boxes, which are some sort of transducer that converts the signal to your choice of either Coax (MoCA) or wired Ethernet, to which you connect your router.

It's a fiber media converter....

Verizon is going to be doing most of the Boston area with wireless coverage from the pole to the building.

Very little of the coverage area is going to have actual physical cable to the premises.
Long-time telco critic Bruce Kushnick recently pointed to comments made by Verizon executives to investors, that strongly suggest only a few parts of the city will actually get FiOS, and the lion's share of the remainder will likely be wireless.

The company I work for was hoping to get a share of the planning of the network layout, but by going mostly wireless, they have no need for as much R&D work. :(

Back