Verizon Extends 50/20 Mbps Service To All Customers

You all suck... *kicks WiMAX connection*

The worst thing is we're considering going back to satellite if our ISP doesn't get their act together. :(

I do enjoy fios tv, internet and phone. Since being in the NJ market (we already had the high speeds) its nice to see the other markets catching up.

The tv content is also uncompressed (least to the point verizon does not compress) which gives a great picture. Just want more HD stations :)

I do enjoy fios tv, internet and phone. Since being in the NJ market (we already had the high speeds) its nice to see the other markets catching up.

The tv content is also uncompressed (least to the point verizon does not compress) which gives a great picture. Just want more HD stations :)
I'm looking forward to the TV service, I've read and heard nothing but great things about it.

Good
1. The constant speed. Anytime I do a stest I am always around my rated speeds. Usually slightly over or slightly under. Downloads/Uploads are rarely limited by my connection.
2. Installation. Although you have to have someone at your home during working hours, installation was free as long as you signed up for a year contract. That includes the router/modem (and there's no additional fee for that), running fiber, and so on and so forth. No monies!
3. Tech support. Unfortunately, I've had two routers die over me over the 2 years I've had the service. They sent me a new one the next day, and provide free shipping to return the dead one.
4. No caps, limits, etc, on your connection. No outages.

Bad things about it.
1. Routers. First some crappy dlink, now I've had two crappy actionteks. The dlink wouldnt reset to factory defaults and the power brick failed on my first actiontek.

ah, and I forgot to include that it includes a battery backup for the system for ~8hrs.

Do you have to use the ActionTek routers they supply to you?

From reading what KenF said, it looks like you just need it to get VOD and Guide Information with their TV.

This is great news for those who can get / already have FiOS. Doesn't do any good for those of us who live in areas where AT&T have control of the lines. Bastages. :mad:

It did make the news when articles were posted about how the governer got the NY ISPs to cave and cut off the alt.* groups and whatever else they are no longer carrying.

Time Warner is just canceling all newsgroup service :mad:
Due to low usage, BS!

As of June 23, 2008, Road Runner will no longer offer Newsgroups, however users can subscribe on their own to third party News providers.

Why is Road Runner discontinuing their own Newsgroups service?
Due to low subscriber usage Road Runner has decided to discontinue Newsgroups service as of June 23, 2008.

If I still want a news service, what can I do?
Subscribers can choose to use a third party service and purchase on their own through that service. There are many providers with offerings, as an example here are several providers:
Easynews
Newshosting
UsenetServer

When is the last day that Road Runner Newsgroups service will be available?
Newsgroups service will cease on June 23, 2008.

i wish i could get verizon FIOS here. comcast is a shit company and verizon is actually one of the best communication companies out there....

Time Warner is just canceling all newsgroup service :mad:
Due to low usage, BS!

As of June 23, 2008, Road Runner will no longer offer Newsgroups, however users can subscribe on their own to third party News providers.

Why is Road Runner discontinuing their own Newsgroups service?
Due to low subscriber usage Road Runner has decided to discontinue Newsgroups service as of June 23, 2008.
I had Time Warner for a couple of years and let me tell you, their newsgroup service was shit. Retention was shit, group selection was shit, it was also not very fast at all.

It's partial bullshit, they just aren't telling you they have been forced by the gov to censor the service so they lay the blame on lack of utilization which in my opinion is probably a likely situation.

"Verizon Extends 50/20 Mbps Service To All Customers"

Thanks for the misleading title. I expect more from [H]. :mad:

Kinda takes a while to bury new fiber everywhere and rip out all the old stuff. The fact that the fiber NID for the side of your house cost about $800 if I am remembering that correctly and you have another reason it isn't taking off like a rocket.

Actually I live in NJ and they are working rigorously to implement FiOS in all areas, it does take a while but they have most of the Fiber Technicians in our state hired...

It's not the cost, Verizon has deep pockets, it's two things, one they are only cabling middle to high class areas, and two... As you mentioned it takes a while to dig and put in the cable..

I worked for Comcast while Verizon was working on that State Franchise agreement that they won in NJ... Comcast is scared and concerned, the fears of the corporate level reach the low men on the totem pole through bullshit answers that they give us in hopes that we will buy into it and feed it back to our customers....

Thank goodness I am back into a real IT position at this point and not working for that flesh pedler.

"Verizon Extends 50/20 Mbps Service To All Customers"

Thanks for the misleading title. I expect more from [H]. :mad:

No offense man, but if you read tech sites like [H] you should hopefully already know that DSL can't reach these speeds... And second... That Verizon was testing these speeds in select areas with their FiOS service... That is now made available to all their customers with that service......

Dear nice Verizon peoples:

Please extend your awesome service in Southern California to people outside of Malibu. The rest of the Los Angeles area would also love awesome internet speeds. Thanks.

Dear nice Verizon peoples:

Please extend your awesome service in Southern California to people outside of Malibu. The rest of the Los Angeles area would also love awesome internet speeds. Thanks.

Werd. LA county FTL. :(

Sigh I wish that Verizon would hurry up. Unfortunately I live in a city so I doubt I will be seeing Fios anytime soon.

Also the Fiber NDT (I think that is the name) costs 1.2k.

(Current Verizon employee)

I've had FIOS for over two years now I think. It's simply the best home internet connection you are going to get in the US. I've had it all over the years: Modem, Satelite, Fixed Wireless, DSL, Cable, now FIOS.

No contest. Fios has been pure joy to use since day one. The new speed upgrade is greatly appreciated. And amazingly I don't yet even really need it. Even with 5 systems on the net at once here at home my 15/2 handles it so well you can't tell. With the extra bump in upload to 5MB, it will handle multiple users even better.

Thank you Verizon. Don't ever change a thing!

Well Verizon Mobile is buying out Altell, so I'm hoping that means they'll bring some more of their services into Altell areas. I'd like to see Verizon FIOS come here and put Charter out of business.

I've had FIOS for over two years now I think. It's simply the best home internet connection you are going to get in the US. I've had it all over the years: Modem, Satelite, Fixed Wireless, DSL, Cable, now FIOS.

No contest. Fios has been pure joy to use since day one. The new speed upgrade is greatly appreciated. And amazingly I don't yet even really need it. Even with 5 systems on the net at once here at home my 15/2 handles it so well you can't tell. With the extra bump in upload to 5MB, it will handle multiple users even better.

Thank you Verizon. Don't ever change a thing!

Not to put a damper on your FIOS love parade but In New York, Long Island specifically Optimum Online offers the best service.

No offense man, but if you read tech sites like [H] you should hopefully already know that DSL can't reach these speeds... And second... That Verizon was testing these speeds in select areas with their FiOS service... That is now made available to all their customers with that service......
None taken, but if you read tech sites like [H] you should also know that with the way technology changes, things that were impossible yesterday are possible today. Which is exactly what I thought when I read the headline, and the excerpts of the article: that Verizon had figured out a way to bump the throughput of DSL. ("All customers".)

Since FiOS isn't available yet where I live, I could have happily skipped the whole article had it only been titled properly. It's not a big deal, but like I said, I expect more from this site, since it's my main source for tech news.

Well Verizon Mobile is buying out Altell, so I'm hoping that means they'll bring some more of their services into Altell areas. I'd like to see Verizon FIOS come here and put Charter out of business.

Forgot about this but it could still take years... Me want fios in Chicago area :(

Back