• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Verizon Data Plans

Bohica69

Gawd
Joined
Jul 12, 2005
Messages
676
Ok, WTF Verizon: You "Lowered" your rates, but now if you want a decent feature phone say like the Alias 2 you have to get a $9.99 a month data plan? Tell you what, why don't you let me get a DROID and have a $9.99 a month data plan and then we'll talk......

Can anybody explain to me the difference between the 9.99 plan and the $30 dollar plan?

A data plan? on an Alias, REALLY? you gotta be kidding me.
 
Been saying this for years now, Verizon is a huge ripoff, looking to nickel & dime their customers until they revolt. I'd rather have a Hero for $99/month than an Eris for $130/month, and I'd certainly rather have a Hero and a Pixi for $109/month rather than a Droid and a Pixi for $180/month.
 
I guess I got hooked up. I'm paying $130/month for my Droid and my wife with her old Voyager (older version of the EnV Touch) sharing 700 mins and unlimited everything else on both phones. I didn't think that was too bad of a deal.

The $10 plan is for non-smart phones and the $30 plan is for smart phones and wireless adapters. I'm not sure, but I don't think non-smart phones use 3G because my old Voyager was a LOT slower loading pages using the $10 data plan compared to my Droid on the $30 plan. It might have been the phone being slow to render them though.
 
Last edited:
The non smart phones (most of the new ones) use 3G, i know my env touch does at least, theres no reason to charge the 20 $ difference other than greed. its the same exact server. Their excuse is that smart phones use more data, so they have to charge 3 times as much. Bull crap in my opinion
 
I guess I got hooked up.

No, not really. You're on a lesser plan than I quoted (because I need more minutes), and I was quoting two smartphones vs one in yours. There's the $50 difference, and that's just sad, really. Now, do I hate verizon because of my last two jobs (Sprint/Comcast), or did I take the jobs because I hate Verizon?
 
Bull crap in my opinion
+1

I have to carefully walk through the store to find a phone that doesn't require a data plan. Right now I'm using the Nokia 6205 and love it. (A) I just don't need a data plan on my phone and (B) data plans are as y'all say, bull crap, and I don't want to pay for it. I wish I could say I love Verizon 100% but if Verizon Wireless has a fault, I'd say this is it. It's garbage when virtually all of the phones offered require what at first glance appears to be an "optional" data plan. I will say that I'm glad they introduced the $9.99/mo plan, because the ~$30/mo one used to be the only option. Course now they have a little more of an excuse to get rid of their one or two phones that don't require a data plan on the grounds that their data plan is cheaper now. Price discrimination sucks, but that's business.

Also, speaking from just a technical stand-point, in doesn't make sense to charge at all for "data" on a digital network: voice is far, far more data-intensive than browsing the web, or sending a text message. This probably doesn't hold true on 3G networks and maybe EDGE, because web usage will soak up all the extra bandwidth you give it and voice bandwidth usage is generally held constant, but, bah! Who let the money make the decisions, anyway? : )


Nick
 
Why the hate for Verizon specifically? Every major carrier charges $30/mo for smartphone data plans. A plan with a decent number of minutes, some texting, and smartphone data is ~$80-$100 with every carrier.

But if you don't like it, don't pay it. It's not like you have a right to data at a price of your choosing.
 
theres no reason to charge the 20 $ difference other than greed. its the same exact server. Their excuse is that smart phones use more data, so they have to charge 3 times as much. Bull crap in my opinion
What? You just answered your own statement and smart phones do use more data. Higher data usage = higher price Seems pretty simple to me.

As for being greedy... they're a company...
 
Why the hate for Verizon specifically? Every major carrier charges $30/mo for smartphone data plans. A plan with a decent number of minutes, some texting, and smartphone data is ~$80-$100 with every carrier.
Right on. Not hating on VZW in particular, since all carriers are equally "guilty", but it was Verizon who got fingered in the thread title, that's all. I have and pay for Verizon Wireless voice and text (love the service), but just not their data plans. Seems to work out well for me: I just miss out on reading my spam while in traffic!

My only beef is that I wish Verizon offered more hardware options that don't require a data plan, but it's a self-imposed beef, and I'm a minority of the market. Obviously most folks are willing to pay $120 to $360 per year for data on their phones or we wouldn't see new fancy smartphones come out every X months. If I hated it so much, I can always switch to another carrier or get an older Verizon phone on e-bay, etc.
 
Why the hate for Verizon specifically? Every major carrier charges $30/mo for smartphone data plans. A plan with a decent number of minutes, some texting, and smartphone data is ~$80-$100 with every carrier.

But if you don't like it, don't pay it. It's not like you have a right to data at a price of your choosing.

The problem that people are having has more to do with the $9.99 required data plan for phones that should not be considered data phones (I mean they force the $9.99 data for the LG VX8360 flip phone). The phones they consider data phones now were not considered data phones before 1/18. Also, on the old plans the upgrade to the Connect Plan would get you unlimited data for these phones. $10 a month for data on a Samsung Rogue? Ok. $10 for a VX8360? That's a joke. And I'm a happy Verizon subscriber.
 
I'm on the Agent plan :p

$15 a month for 2000 minutes and unlimited text ... have to pay an extra $15 for my blackberry data plan though. And an extra $20 because I use 411 way too much.

It's not all cracked up to what it looks like though. From personal experience (not sales experience, no no) I don't give a rats ass about Big Red. I'm so tired of having to deal with customers that they've jewed hardcore. That, and RIM sucks. Hate the blackberry storm. Like the Pearl better, but either way I'm screwed half the time because emails never come through.

Oh and I don't have the ability to PixMSG AT&T customers (ie: my girlfriend); they say its not Verizons problem. The CSRs just don't want to do their jobs. They never f***ing want to do their jobs. Oh well. At least they don't Outsource.
 
Verizon has the biggest and best network in the US, and they know it. You can always go to a lesser network and risk the chance of not getting a call or slow Internet access. Verizon won the best block of the 700Mhz spectrum from the Government auction, so they'll only get better.
 
The non smart phones (most of the new ones) use 3G, i know my env touch does at least, theres no reason to charge the 20 $ difference other than greed. its the same exact server. Their excuse is that smart phones use more data, so they have to charge 3 times as much. Bull crap in my opinion

My wife got a Droid last week. She's used more data on the droid so far than she did in 2+ years of havinga a Voyager. How do I know? She never used the browser or email on the Voyager.

I'd say she's spent 3 hours using the browser on the Droid. She is reading her email on the Droid now, and not her pc. This is just the start, the smartphone makes it easy and fast enough for to use the web. Soon it will be music, then apps...
 
Why the hate for Verizon specifically? Every major carrier charges $30/mo for smartphone data plans. A plan with a decent number of minutes, some texting, and smartphone data is ~$80-$100 with every carrier.

But if you don't like it, don't pay it. It's not like you have a right to data at a price of your choosing.

Why the hate? WHY?

Because I've been on a Samsung Alias for 2 years and perfectly happy with my service. How much data have I used? 0 bytes.... in two years ZERO. NONE Nada, zip, zilch. I DO however use the phone for texting and I pay 20 bucks a month for the unlimited texting plan. Now if I want to upgrade to the Alias 2, i have to add a 9.99 a month fee for a service that I will NEVER EVER use. The screen on the alias2 is not condusive to surfing, indeed I'm not even sure it has a decent browser. Now I'm not the only person in this boat. There are alot of people who got the "Multimedia" phones because they want a fully qwerty keyboard for texting, not to check their email, and not to browse the web. So this "Required" data plan smacks of nothing more than corp greed. If it was "OPTIONAL" then I wouldn't have any problem with it, indeed, I'd be singing the praises of it for those that need data plans for these non data phones.


Now I can understand the plans for the droids, blackberries, or other smart phones. Those make sense, but how come I can't get a 9.99 plan with limited transfer on a droid? Oh, because really this 9.99 tier wasn't expected to be actually USED, but it was intended to be an end run around RAISING RATES.
 
Last edited:
Ok, WTF Verizon: You "Lowered" your rates, but now if you want a decent feature phone say like the Alias 2 you have to get a $9.99 a month data plan? Tell you what, why don't you let me get a DROID and have a $9.99 a month data plan and then we'll talk......

Can anybody explain to me the difference between the 9.99 plan and the $30 dollar plan?

A data plan? on an Alias, REALLY? you gotta be kidding me.
They charge differently because smartphone users tend, and almost exclusively use more data than other users(duh) but.....they are looking for a way to recoup the lose of the $400 phone that you bought with a new contract for $50. Especially with people upgrading every year almost, they need to find a way to keep people. Most everybody doesn't look at it like, "Oh, thats not a lot of money, I get a fancy phone for almost nothing!" Additionally, with how connected society is these days, once you have that data plan, you never want to go back, no matter how crappy the browser is, as long as it facetweets and youspaces, they don't care.
 
They charge differently because smartphone users tend, and almost exclusively use more data than other users(duh) but.....they are looking for a way to recoup the lose of the $400 phone that you bought with a new contract for $50.

The Alias2 is NOT by any stretch of the imagination a smartphone. Also, with no contract it's no a 400 phone.

I don't disagree with having a 9.99 data plan. What is irritating is that it's REQUIRED. What I think is really happening, is that Verizion's V-Cast service isn't the money cow they thought it would be, and so they are doing this to pad their pockets. For whatever reason this is a money grab, pure and simple.
 
The Alias2 is NOT by any stretch of the imagination a smartphone. Also, with no contract it's no a 400 phone.

I don't disagree with having a 9.99 data plan. What is irritating is that it's REQUIRED. What I think is really happening, is that Verizion's V-Cast service isn't the money cow they thought it would be, and so they are doing this to pad their pockets. For whatever reason this is a money grab, pure and simple.

I was simply explaining the difference in data plan pricing between smartphone and featurephones. If you don't want to pay it GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.
 
Why the hate for Verizon specifically? Every major carrier charges $30/mo for smartphone data plans. A plan with a decent number of minutes, some texting, and smartphone data is ~$80-$100 with every carrier.

But if you don't like it, don't pay it. It's not like you have a right to data at a price of your choosing.

QFTW

I only pay 80 buck a month for my Droid, with 450 Anytime minutes which I maybe use > 100 a month because of Verizon to Verizon and free night and weekends. Unlimited data and 250 texts because between email and facebook I dont need to text someone every time I need ask them something, just shoot an email and wait for a repsonse or drop a comment on their Facebook page. If you are solo and are paying more than that you are crazy and need to get your contract updated.

My friend pays over a 100 a month on ATT for a similar plan except his minutes "rollover" but of course he actually has to use his minutes all the time unlike me.

Also for the record I can talk and surf the web at the same time on my Droid... so FU Luke Wilson....
 
Also for the record I can talk and surf the web at the same time on my Droid... so FU Luke Wilson....

Only over Wi-Fi, though, right? I didn't think CDMA would allow voice and data at the same time.

I don't see it as that big of a deal, though. Give me Verizon's vastly superior 3G coverage any day.
 
What? You just answered your own statement and smart phones do use more data. Higher data usage = higher price Seems pretty simple to me.

As for being greedy... they're a company...

Look how much the prices have gone up in the year since they bought up their chief competitor Alltel.

Funny thing is that Alltel is still charging $69.99 for a smartphone plan in the areas where it still exists while it waits to become AT&T.

Edit: With my corp discount with Verizon I can snag a droid for $83 a month... that is tempting... just gotta say no!
 
Last edited:
Wow, I have Tmobile, 300 minutes with nights/weekends, unlimited texting/data for my TouchPro2, and after taxes I pay $71.50
 
Only over Wi-Fi, though, right? I didn't think CDMA would allow voice and data at the same time.

I don't see it as that big of a deal, though. Give me Verizon's vastly superior 3G coverage any day.

Yes it is only over Wifi but about the only time I am ever without Wifi is when I am driving my car from point A to B and it is illegal to drive and talk on the phone in my state. I dont want to see want the fine is for driving, talking, and surfing! :eek: Overall it is just a weak argument from AT&T and one that will come back to haunt them eventually I think...
 
My wife got a Droid last week. She's used more data on the droid so far than she did in 2+ years of havinga a Voyager. How do I know? She never used the browser or email on the Voyager.

I'd say she's spent 3 hours using the browser on the Droid. She is reading her email on the Droid now, and not her pc. This is just the start, the smartphone makes it easy and fast enough for to use the web. Soon it will be music, then apps...

I do about the same on my Env touch, i check my email on it, i send email on it, and im on the web pretty constantly on it, because it has a full browser, but i pay 20 $ less because its a "feature phone" and not a smart phone, in the exact words of a verizon representative.

even though i use the same amount of data i would use with a nicer phone...
 
Is everyone in this thread retarded?

The guy is talking about a REQUIRED $9.99/mo data plan for NON smart phones (dumbphone).

That means a lot of those cheapy flip phones that you see out there that are only used for voice/txt but come with some cheapo browser that takes an hour to load a webpage will now be required to have a $9.99 month. This is just $120 a year extra that verizon is getting. The majority of the people with this plan will go the whole year without using a single bit.

I love how verizon increased the termination fee right BEFORE they added this stupid new requirement.
 
Wanted a nice new cell phone without data and was shown only those cheapo looking phones at the counter. All others require a data plan. Now that is just dandy. Told the sales rep, I'll keep my old LG ( Nice one also ) as long as it lasts and will not play that game of theirs.

Its a shame that some of the carriers are only producing nice looking data only phones, but not for those that never need data. My contract ended 9 months ago as well, so at least I may have other options
 
I suppose this is one way Verizon is supplementing it's $30 cut in the Unlimited Plan. You'd figure there are more people with 3G "non smart" phones than people with the Unlimited Plan @ $99. Now Verizon get the best of both worlds, increased revenue for require $10 data plan on nearly all phones excluding the phones in the "Simple Feature" category. Those phones do not require the $10 data plan at all.
 
That means a lot of those cheapy flip phones that you see out there that are only used for voice/txt but come with some cheapo browser that takes an hour to load a webpage will now be required to have a $9.99 month.

No. Those phones fall under the "Simple Phones" section and do not require any data plans whatsoever.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...viewByDevice&deviceType=Simple Feature Phones

Those phones do not require a $10 data plan, but it will cost $2 per MB for any type of data transfer.
 
Those phones do not require a $10 data plan, but it will cost $2 per MB for any type of data transfer.

Which is absolutely asinine. I've heard the reason they're forcing this on new contracts is that they want to "protect" the consumer from an accidental $2/MB charge.

... why not just get rid of that stupid charge in the first place? Gah
 
I'm a Verizon customer and just getting up to speed on this issue and I'm pissed. The LG VX8360 now requires a $10 data plan?

This is bullshit.
 
Yeah, I ended up looking for a phone specifically with no data plan required just because I was sick of paying $10-$30 a month for something I didn't use.
 
Is everyone in this thread retarded?

The guy is talking about a REQUIRED $9.99/mo data plan for NON smart phones (dumbphone).

That means a lot of those cheapy flip phones that you see out there that are only used for voice/txt but come with some cheapo browser that takes an hour to load a webpage will now be required to have a $9.99 month. This is just $120 a year extra that verizon is getting. The majority of the people with this plan will go the whole year without using a single bit.

I love how verizon increased the termination fee right BEFORE they added this stupid new requirement.


Thanks mobusta, you get it. Seems to me like they design the phones (or at least the batteries) to last about two years figuring you'll upgrade at that point. Then they pull crap like this.
 
I'm a Verizon customer and just getting up to speed on this issue and I'm pissed. The LG VX8360 now requires a $10 data plan?

This is bullshit.

Yep, can you believe that crap? Thanks for nothing Verizon!
 
If you live anywhere but in a city, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc. doesn't work. You're left with AT&T and Verizon.
 
Kirby, I agree with T-Mobile, but when's the last time you actually USED Sprint? It's FUD like this that needs to stop.
 
Kirby, I agree with T-Mobile, but when's the last time you actually USED Sprint? It's FUD like this that needs to stop.

My friends use Sprint still and they drop calls in downtown Scranton (population 100,000).
 
My friends use Sprint still and they drop calls in downtown Scranton (population 100,000).

I'm using Sprint and I can't remember the last time I dropped a call. Can't say the same for all the fools around here on ATT...
 
Back
Top