Vega Rumors

i wish there was some rumors on when they will return to stock...meanwhile im over here at nvidia pressing f5 for 1080 ti to pop

If you didn't like hitting F5 you should not have called yourself buttons !!! P~ (couldn't help myself)

With AMD putting all resources in Zen+ at 12nm, supply sucks for Vega. Even if RTG did try and get more wafers produced, it is probably HBM2 and packaging that is limiting with current sells volume and not much that RTG can do about that.

i wish there was some rumors on when they will return to stock...meanwhile im over here at nvidia pressing f5 for 1080 ti to pop
Might want to try EVGA, took less than 3 days first time which I missed but two days later was able to grab an OC 1080 Ti at $769. That was last week.

ive been checking evga 3-4 times a day. i setup auto notify on the ones i really want. no emails so far.

call them up and ask them to reserve one for ya. Might need to pay upfront though.....

The only cards I can find on Newegg are some RX 570s for close to 500. Who would buy those instead of waiting for the 2400 APU to come out except miners?

ah yes what I've been saying for over a year now :)

Yes, it's just too open-ended a problem to solve at the driver level, magically. I wish they had delivered the explicit API first, then went off on this boodoggle. Ah well, at least there's a tangible "move forward" point here for devs, rather than hoping and wishing.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12363/amd-reassembles-rtg-hires-new-leadership

RTG split again between engineering and business under separate SVPs, semi-custom being folded under RTG away from Enterprise & Embedded and now under RTG business. Enterprise & Embedded renamed Datacenter and Embedded Solutions Business Group, (Has AMD finally sold a EPYC processor?!, heh.) Anandtech notes that with Ryzen finally pulling in the dough, AMD no longer needs to rely or pursue semi-custom as much as they did before. Apparently AMD is saying it increased RTG's budget alongside this reorganization. Nice to hear.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12363/amd-reassembles-rtg-hires-new-leadership

RTG split again between engineering and business under separate SVPs, semi-custom being folded under RTG away from Enterprise & Embedded and now under RTG business. Enterprise & Embedded renamed Datacenter and Embedded Solutions Business Group, (Has AMD finally sold a EPYC processor?!, heh.) Anandtech notes that with Ryzen finally pulling in the dough, AMD no longer needs to rely or pursue semi-custom as much as they did before. Apparently AMD is saying it increased RTG's budget alongside this reorganization. Nice to hear.

We shell see, but if they don't make headway with Navi, I don't think there is any coming back....... what ever R&D they increase now is going to be post Navi, and 2018 looks grim for RTG, 2019 will define what actions AMD will take with RTG.

Putting semi custom into Graphics at least now we will have visibility on their CPU profits. Although we won't get any visibility on their GPU profits now. Hopefully this is how they are going to report their SEC filings.

We shell see, but if they don't make headway with Navi, I don't think there is any coming back....... what ever R&D they increase now is going to be post Navi, and 2018 looks grim for RTG, 2019 will define what actions AMD will take with RTG.

Putting semi custom into Graphics at least now we will have visibility on their CPU profits. Although we won't get any visibility on their GPU profits now. Hopefully this is how they are going to report their SEC filings.

The only thing possible that would make 2018 grim for RTG is a huge crypto crash... hard to feel bad for a company that sells every video card it can make.

They can probably make incredible amounts of money off of the 7nm vega 20 refresh if machine learning workloads are similar to crypto workloads given the price of all other video cards at the moment.

The only thing possible that would make 2018 grim for RTG is a huge crypto crash... hard to feel bad for a company that sells every video card it can make.

They can probably make incredible amounts of money off of the 7nm vega 20 refresh if machine learning workloads are similar to crypto workloads given the price of all other video cards at the moment.

They can't even make profits when they sell every single card they make..... Saw this with the 290x already, and back then they had more marketshare.

You sure about the visibility of GPU vs CPU? I remember the Q3 earnings, AMD's been dividing their reports between "Computing and Graphics" and "Enterprise, Embedded, and Semi-Custom", these new changes should have semi-custom under Computing and Graphics, but Ryzen (other than Eypc, and Embedded) and RTG has always been under CG and reported as such. (I remember some uncertainty about Ryzen vs Coffee Lake since AMD may have been using GPU to pad the CPU side when talking about CG) Actually, I'm very interested in the newly renamed Datacenter and Embedded Solutions Business Group, removing Semi-Custom in my opinion is no light matter at all since thats just leaving Eypc all alone to be scrutinized without consoles padding the numbers. (And whatever meager embedded business they also have) Maybe I'm being too hopeful and optimistic, but I think thats a very good sign for AMD in the datacenter. (Or maybe we just get to hear analysts ask why and where the hell is eypc revenue and marketshare to Lisa Su for the next few years at earnings).

Don't think this reorganization is gonna show up in earnings until Q1 2018, since this did just happen after Q4 2017 ended, and I don't believe Eypc is gonna show anything decent for that quarter. Would be nice to get a hold of those numbers before this "successful" eypc ramp up begins.

Last edited:
You sure about the visibility of GPU vs CPU? I remember the Q3 earnings, AMD's been dividing their reports between "Computing and Graphics" and "Enterprise, Embedded, and Semi-Custom", these new changes should have semi-custom under Computing and Graphics, but Ryzen (other than Eypc, and Embedded) and RTG has always been under CG and reported as such. (I remember some uncertainty about Ryzen vs Coffee Lake since AMD may have been using GPU to pad the CPU side when talking about CG) Actually, I'm very interested in the newly renamed Datacenter and Embedded Solutions Business Group, removing Semi-Custom in my opinion is no light matter at all since thats just leaving Eypc all alone to be scrutinized without consoles padding the numbers. (And whatever meager embedded business they also have) Maybe I'm being too hopeful and optimistic, but I think thats a very good sign for AMD in the datacenter. (Or maybe we just get to hear analysts ask why and where the hell is eypc revenue and marketshare to Lisa Su for the next few years at earnings).

Don't think this reorganization is gonna show up in earnings until Q1 2018, since this did just happen after Q4 2017 ended, and I don't believe Eypc is gonna show anything decent for that quarter. Would be nice to get a hold of those numbers before this "successful" eypc roll-out begins.

Might be right, it just would be nice to see how each business unit is really doing lol.

Might be right, it just would be nice to see how each business unit is really doing lol.

Well AMD is basically revealing how Eypc is doing now. I'll take one business unit with firm data over the previous situation where AMD was covering all the cracks up with one thing or another.

Hmm, I keep thinking about this removal of semi-custom from the Enterprise group and while maybe AMD is finding it better to cover the cracks in CG, I'm finding it very encouraging AMD has decided to let Datacenter basically stand alone in revenue reporting. Everyone is gonna be able to see very clearly how Eypc is gonna fare over this year.

sad thing for vega owners, no implicit Primitive shader driver support. New Explicit API (not yet released) will have to be used to add support for upcoming games, so yet another feature that only one or two partnered games are gona use in the future. great.

AMD Cancels Implicit Primitive Shader Driver Support
Actually better news, there will be API support as in DX12/Vulkan support for this which would be better for developers. Now it maybe just Vulkan or DX 12, just not enough information or maybe it is just a carrot dangling that will never materialize.

Actually better news, there will be API support as in DX12/Vulkan support for this which would be better for developers. Now it maybe just Vulkan or DX 12, just not enough information or maybe it is just a carrot dangling that will never materialize.

all the way around, as a explicit API it will require more job from the developer to be executed into existent API DX12/Vulkan, implicit Primitive Shader would mean dev would have to do nothing, and MOST of the games would benefit from it, now it will be another feature that will be present in couple of games, which mean it can be potentially broken via driver causing issues with existing games and requiring to be implemented from scratch to a new game.

And also reminds me of:

AMD plans to release Vega refresh in 2018.

Vega refresh will come enabled with features such as primitive shaders and tile-based rasterization that AMD wasn't able to get working with the initial Vega's release.

There will also be other features that AMD will tout as new, but are features that AMD wasn't able to get working with Vega's initial release.

In other words, Vega refresh will be what Vega was supposed to be.

Now, if you are a current Vega owner, don't get too excited because these features will require new hardware.

I hate to tell you, but you bought a alpha product and no magical drivers can fix that.

all the way around, as a explicit API it will require more job from the developer to be executed into existent API DX12/Vulkan, implicit Primitive Shader would mean dev would have to do nothing, and MOST of the games would benefit from it, now it will be another feature that will be present in couple of games, which mean it can be potentially broken via driver causing issues with existing games and requiring to be implemented from scratch to a new game.

And also reminds me of:
I am not sure how that could be automatic and was always a programming feat to begin with. Now it will be generally supported via API vice RTG SDK which may never get updated in time or bugs eliminated while the API will.

don't know how true this is, but AIB partners are telling them no more Vega AIB cards.......

don't know how true this is, but AIB partners are telling them no more Vega AIB cards.......

Well I picked up two Vega FE for $749 not too long ago while everything else was still out at Newegg. Seems like that is the case, maybe AMD is building up supply for the Ryzen+ launch so they can do bundles again. That would also make a lot of sense. Plus Apple line is probably consuming a larger percentage of what they make as well on their new line of computers. So in other words if you are going to build a gaming rig or sell one - the only one you can build reasonably might be AMD/RTG all the way.

Well I picked up two Vega FE for $749 not too long ago while everything else was still out at Newegg. Seems like that is the case, maybe AMD is building up supply for the Ryzen+ launch so they can do bundles again. That would also make a lot of sense. Plus Apple line is probably consuming a larger percentage of what they make as well on their new line of computers. So in other words if you are going to build a gaming rig or sell one - the only one you can build reasonably might be AMD/RTG all the way.

Apple doesn't take a up a whole lot of graphics cards though, looking at most 100k units per quarter for apple for all their graphics cards.....

The bundles don't stop miners, we have had one miner here (litecoin) back in the day he would buy entire systems, strip out the graphics card, and sell of the rest of the system. If mining in profitable, doesn't matter what others do, miners will get their cards regardless. If I wasn't able to buy enough to work with AIB's I would do the same. Because new components even if I make lets say 10% loss on the rest of the components, I would still be making money in the long run, much more than that 10% loss.

Last edited:
They just launched it, so initial sells could be rather large. Plus there just not that many chips to begin with due to the demand.

They just launched it, so initial sells could be rather large. Plus there just not that many chips to begin with due to the demand.

that is for the entire quarter for all GPU's they sell lol. (ment per quarter sorry typo), even if they had 100% increase in sales still not much :))

https://www.gamersnexus.net/industry/3211-what-do-manufacturers-think-of-mining-and-gpu-prices

I didn't see the video above from Hardware Unboxed so I dunno what it is saying, except from forum tldrs. Are you saying razor that the Hardware Unboxed video is suggesting no AIBs are getting their orders fulfilled from AMD for Vega chips? I posted this GN article cause he interviewed a few AIB people and asked about mining, and the impression I'm getting from that article is that AIBs are content not increasing supply. Of course, there was that figure of AIBs only getting a few tens of thousands of Vega chips going around. And I saw someone suggest that if AIBs were selling to miners instead of consumers, that it would be best to keep quiet about that. Regardless, Vega seems to be in high demand, high enough that I can easily see retailers, AIBs, AMD itself deciding to prioritize others over the gaming market.

Of course, we also had the rumors that AMD was suffering problems with packaging and other production problems.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/industry/3211-what-do-manufacturers-think-of-mining-and-gpu-prices

I didn't see the video above from Hardware Unboxed so I dunno what it is saying, except from forum tldrs. Are you saying razor that the Hardware Unboxed video is suggesting no AIBs are getting their orders fulfilled from AMD for Vega chips? I posted this GN article cause he interviewed a few AIB people and asked about mining, and the impression I'm getting from that article is that AIBs are content not increasing supply. Of course, there was that figure of AIBs only getting a few tens of thousands of Vega chips going around. And I saw someone suggest that if AIBs were selling to miners instead of consumers, that it would be best to keep quiet about that. Regardless, Vega seems to be in high demand, high enough that I can easily see retailers, AIBs, AMD itself deciding to prioritize others over the gaming market.

Of course, we also had the rumors that AMD was suffering problems with packaging and other production problems.

What HUB stated was 2 AIB partners are not getting Vega GPU's 56 or 64, they were cancelled. I'm not sure what is going on. One is a small outfit the other is a big outfit. So its kinda weird there are so many different takes on the matter.

But GN the article you linked, they say its primarily due to the memory price hike, which yes it could be this. All factors coming in at once, miners, memory prices, cycles.......

Last edited:
http://ir.amd.com/news-releases/new...rth-quarter-and-annual-2017-financial-results

https://www.reddit.com/live/10da0f8uzrtq5

According to this summary of the live call, AMD is facing shortages in memory (HBM, GDDR5) hampering the GPU channel. Not being limited by silicon, and production is ramping up.

Also interesting, the money from Intel for the Vega chips is going in C&G, not semi-custom but for this passing quarter, semi-custom is still reported with Enterprise revenue. Lisa Su says Ryzen Desktop did well in the holiday season. I didn't listen to the live call so I can't verify the exact wording of the summary, but I wonder if "shortage" really means "shortage" and not pricing.

that is really odd, well HBM I can understand but GDDR5? really that is out of the blue.

Many gamers are now reporting that the newer boards stink at mining and in fact steal away mined coins over time. So do not use!

Or so I hear....

http://ir.amd.com/news-releases/new...rth-quarter-and-annual-2017-financial-results

https://www.reddit.com/live/10da0f8uzrtq5

According to this summary of the live call, AMD is facing shortages in memory (HBM, GDDR5) hampering the GPU channel. Not being limited by silicon, and production is ramping up.

Also interesting, the money from Intel for the Vega chips is going in C&G, not semi-custom but for this passing quarter, semi-custom is still reported with Enterprise revenue. Lisa Su says Ryzen Desktop did well in the holiday season. I didn't listen to the live call so I can't verify the exact wording of the summary, but I wonder if "shortage" really means "shortage" and not pricing.
Im thinking it's more price fixing.

Still haven't heard the call first-hand, but 1/3 of growth in C&G is "blockchain" related (GPUs). Not sure if that means 1/3 overall revenue for C&G, or 1/3 growth over expected revenue, or etc, but 1/3 is quite a lot. Now, PCPer made a good point, while AMD will likely have much better info than us, even that 1/3 figure might be underselling crypto-related GPU sales vs consumer/gaming/etc sales.

When looking at AMD's Q4 guidance, I felt AMD was being quite conservative on the crypto and overall revenue, since this new guidance, I'm quite curious as to what it's influence now, since AMD has upped guidance for Q1, to be more than Q4, which is strange since Q1 is supposed to be down from Q4. (Holiday season and such)

Edit: Source: $140M in quarter-to-quarter revenue increase, 1/3 of which is GPU sales for the blockchain according to AMD, meaning $46 million of revenue is due to crypto, and overall at least 50% of total revenue growth is GPU-related.

AMD stated Ryzen units and revenue went up this quarter (vs last quarter? sounds good for the fight vs Coffee Lake) but Enterprise (and etc) was only up 3% yoy. How much of that is consoles vs Epyc? I think majority of that 3% should be consoles, mainly Xbox One X.

Last edited:
well vega IGP still can't match the lowest of lowest discrete the gtx 1030.....

Depends on the game somewhat. The price is good too

Still crappy IGP lol, this will never change, and now that gives a damn good idea that the Kaby g ultra portables are going to have a tough time against Max q 1050's and 1050ti's. And its not over yet, they will be going up against nV's next gen mobiles too. This is exactly what happened when the first APU was released by AMD, it looked ok for super low end stuff but a gen later.... it just died.

Last edited:
Back