Vega Rumors

Hmm. In Houston, Texas there was a man selling bottled Dasani water for $15 or $20 a package before the hurricane hit and subsequent flooding that happened. This water sold for $3 a package in the store across the road from him. People who went to the store were unable to purchase water because this guy bought it all up and was scalping it at a huge markup.

So do we march with our pitchforks against the store for not having water at $3 MSRP?

Do we march against Dasani for pricing their water crazily above MSRP?

Do we go to the retailer in the parking lot selling water for crazy prices and tell him that he is a bastard for purchasing all the water and reselling it for prices that people can't afford?

Who do you blame?

The companies that didn't send enough bottled water.

Hmm. In Houston, Texas there was a man selling bottled Dasani water for $15 or $20 a package before the hurricane hit and subsequent flooding that happened. This water sold for $3 a package in the store across the road from him. People who went to the store were unable to purchase water because this guy bought it all up and was scalping it at a huge markup.

So do we march with our pitchforks against the store for not having water at $3 MSRP?

Do we go to the retailer in the parking lot selling water for crazy prices and tell him that he is a bastard for purchasing all the water and reselling it for prices that people can't afford?

Who do you blame?

The authorities are probably too busy to arrest him for operating a business without a license and price gouging.

Or we can finally deal with scalping at a legal level. If that dude went in and bought 200 cases and then held it over the community's head, that should be illegal.

Why should adjusting price according to demand be illegal?

Or we can finally deal with scalping at a legal level. If that dude went in and bought 200 cases and then held it over the community's head, that should be illegal.

It is illegal.

The authorities are too busy dealing with everything else to arrest him.

Its not miners there is no stock of these cards, AMD is having serious supply issues or holding back supply.

That guy that bought Vega for mining, and talking about solar panel, he didn't do the math, otherwise he would have know solar panals he will not be able to get his money back.

It's miners man I have seen pictures of Vega being used in them. Now I figured you were right but they are finding power use acceptable undervolted. It shocks me but if they can be good with the power use of the 64 then the 56 will be gobbled up constantly. Will know for sure in a month or so.

Glad to see are back to arguing about Vega pricing, at least now we have also included bottled water pricing to spice up the conversation.

Texas’ Attorney General’s office issued a warning on Thursday urging locals to be vigilant in spotting vendors who are engaged in price gouging.

The state’s consumer protection division says that whenever a governor has issued a disaster proclamation, it is illegal to significantly hike prices on ‘items of necessity’ such as fuel, food, or medicine.

Texas Governor Greg Abbott declared a state of disaster for 30 counties in the Lone Star State.

Who do you blame?

But what if Dasani claims a 3$ MSRP but sells the water to retailers for 2.98$.

Then it would be up to the retailers to accept that or mark it up to a reasonable profit margin or not sell it at all. No retailer is forced to sell at a certain price except in MAP pricing agreements.

Then it would be up to the retailers to accept that or mark it up to a reasonable profit margin or not sell it at all. No retailer is forced to sell at a certain price except in MAP pricing agreements.
Yeah, I know. The point being that you can't then blame the retailers for price gouging. They have to make a profit.

If MS announces XBOX Scorpio for 249$ MSRP but then sells it to the retailers for 300$ who in turn charge 349$ then I will be hard pressed to blame the retailers and not MS

The cards sell out in less than 15 seconds. I really doubt that consumers are using purchasing scripts to get through checkout that fast. Try to buy something from NewEgg and see if you can get through the entire checkout process in 15 seconds or less with your CC or PayPal information saved in the system. Maybe some gamers have really fast fingers?

Best buy's price is what the MSRP is, as I stated before there are no packs and still at $499.

There is no stock of Vega cards period. Very low supply.

It's miners man I have seen pictures of Vega being used in them. Now I figured you were right but they are finding power use acceptable undervolted. It shocks me but if they can be good with the power use of the 64 then the 56 will be gobbled up constantly. Will know for sure in a month or so.

Not miners, as I said if that guy did the numbers which it was damn obvious he didn't do the numbers, he would have know he was getting a loss, just wait on 6 months and he will figure it out. He is newbie at mining, as I said only newbies will do what he did.

Best buy's price is what the MSRP is, as I stated before there are no packs and still at $499.

There were basically no Vega 56 stock for the launch today. AMD's claim they were delaying launch to ensure adequate supply is a farce.

Nowinstock shows very minimal inventory was available from two vendors.

I ended up buying two at BestBuy for $499 each - when they came in stock, but my order history shows the cards as being back ordered - so they didn't even have them there anyway - at least not in quantity.

Basically Amazon had a pre-order listing that popped up for less than five minutes (The nowinstock.net website refresh interval is only 5min - so it was probably much less), and Best Buy had (perhaps all pre-order only?) that stayed open for 48 minutes - max order quantity of 2. Nothing else is showing as instock anywhere. I think those other $399 listings are just placeholder listings - notice the others don't show to have ever been in stock.

http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/amd/rxvega56/

mmhmm.JPG

Last edited:
Texas’ Attorney General’s office issued a warning on Thursday urging locals to be vigilant in spotting vendors who are engaged in price gouging.

The state’s consumer protection division says that whenever a governor has issued a disaster proclamation, it is illegal to significantly hike prices on ‘items of necessity’ such as fuel, food, or medicine.

Texas Governor Greg Abbott declared a state of disaster for 30 counties in the Lone Star State.
This has nothing to do with vega

Amazon had the Vega 56 for $399. People on Reddit were ecstatic to get one. I didn't try since I bought my Vega 64 for $499 off Amazon.

Obviously that didn't happen since the store was selling it for $3 a case and making profits. But if they wanted to sell it for $30 a case it is up to them.

Which water block should I go with? I'm really liking the lit up RADEON logo on the side of my Vega 64. Maybe I should just skip these and get an universal block to preserve the look of the original card?
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=radeon+vega+water+block

Forza Horizon 3 @4K 60 fps is pretty fun to play. ;) I might get around to an OC at some point when I get over smiling so much while gaming on this thing. I think it was well worth the $499 asking price.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Obviously that didn't happen since the store was selling it for $3 a case and making profits. But if they wanted to sell it for $30 a case it is up to them.

I wasn't actually talking about Dasani water, but in surprised you manages to get Vega 64 for MSRP, did you camp the Amazon website or what? I've never bought something on launch day so I've never had to deal with spamming refresh on websites etc

Amazon had the Vega 56 for $399. People on Reddit were ecstatic to get one. I didn't try since I bought my Vega 64 for $499 off Amazon.

Amazon is on their list of etailers for the rebated sku

SEP vs MSRP, there is a reason why AMD used SEP instead of MSRP. Corporations don't use different names flippantly, they use different names to denote something extremely specific.

I wasn't actually talking about Dasani water, but in surprised you manages to get Vega 64 for MSRP, did you camp the Amazon website or what? I've never bought something on launch day so I've never had to deal with spamming refresh on websites etc

Oh just made sure that I was awake when they went for sale and clicked buy really fast. ;) I actually wasn't fast enough and had to wait for the second shipment of cards for Amazon to arrive a few weeks later. There was supposed to be a third shipment of 64's and of course 56's for today when I talked to Amazon support about when should I expect my card to ship. My card was supposed to arrive on the 29th, but I got it much faster. ;)

The cards sell out in 15 seconds or less. I can't checkout that fast with all my payment information saved into the Amazon website. I think the miners are using scripts and stuff to beat us mere mortals at the checkout screen. ;)

Amazon is on their list of etailers for the rebated sku

Reddit speculated that Microcenter didn't get Vega 56 cards today. I think the manufacturing shortage is real and the rebate stuff is an excuse by retailers to make an extra $200 off a card.

Reddit speculated that Microcenter didn't get Vega 56 cards today. I think the manufacturing shortage is real and the rebate stuff is an excuse by retailers to make an extra $200 off a card.

Yeah the shortage is real but the rebated SKU is real too lol. There has to be a reason to use SEP instead of MSRP. No reason to make up an new name for the same meaning. Companies don't do that unless they want to delineate something different. And AMD made that acronym up there was no such acronym or even arrangement of words till those slides.

Yeah the shortage is real but the rebated SKU is real too lol. There has to be a reason to use SEP instead of MSRP. No reason to make up an new name for the same meaning. Companies don't do that unless they want to delineate something different. And AMD made that acronym up there was no such acronym or even arrangement of words till those slides.

Visiontek is selling 580's for $400 and 570's for $280. Looks like the manufacturers are ready for extra profits and to hell with AMD's pricing.
https://www.visiontek.com/

I managed to buy four Vega 56 today - without any kind of script, and even purchased two of them via my cell phone browser. I use the nowinstock alerts to be notified. I got two at best buy, and two at newegg. All four cost $500 (+ tax/shipping). There was a Power Color $500 Vega 56 model in stock at newegg for probably at least 45 minutes today. I and two of my friends bought one of those, and they just kept lingering in stock. Newegg only let you buy 1 card of each type. My cousin got five Vega 56 today (2 from bestbuy, 3 from newegg) and he could be buying more - but his single rig is now full too.

yes I'm planning to mine with them -- in compliment to my eight 1080TI I'm mining with. That'll fill out my Biostar TB250 BTC-Pro motherboard's 12 GPU config. I'm not buying anymore cards for a long while to come. My credit card is sore, and one mining rig is enough.....for now.

Should turn ~$1000 a month on a $8500 investment. My risk is all but eliminated in two to three months - cause I'll have covered the 20-25% hardware loss in resale value by then with mining profits. (if for some reason I have to bail out in a couple/three months???)

Last edited:
I managed to buy four Vega 56 today - without any kind of script, and even purchased two of them via my cell phone browser. I use the nowinstock alerts to be notified. I got two at best buy, and two at newegg. All four cost $500 (+ tax/shipping). There was a Power Color $500 Vega 56 model in stock at newegg for probably at least 45 minutes today. I and two of my friends bought one of those, and they just kept lingering in stock. Newegg only let you buy 1 card of each type. My cousin got five Vega 56 today (2 from bestbuy, 3 from newegg) and he could be buying more - but his single rig is now full too.

yes I'm planning to mine with them -- in compliment to my eight 1080TI I'm mining with. That'll fill out my Biostar TB250 BTC-Pro motherboard's 12 GPU config. I'm not buying anymore cards for a long while to come. My credit card is sore, and one mining rig is enough.....for now.

Should turn ~$1000 a month on a $8500 investment. My risk is all but eliminated in two to three months - cause I'll have covered the 20-25% hardware loss in resale value by then with mining profits. (if for some reason I have to bail out in a couple/three months???)

What's your power bill going to increase to?

Less than what you get paid at your shitty job.

Wow...I think you might be retarded.

It was a real question....If you are making $1k a month mining but paying $400 in power bills, everything he said basically doubles until break even. One PSU death and he's out a few more months. Just trying to really grasp if it makes sense to get into mining or not?

Right now in summer, I'm spending about $150-175 on power bills (located in NC), and the thought of that beast of a rig dumping heat into my house makes me want to vomit. If $1k is in profits I could live with it, if it's $1k - power bill and my house feeling like a fucking heatsink all day, I wouldn't consider it.

Also, fuck you.

Last edited:

I think his $1k/month already includes power expense which is probably north of $300/month. Personally can't justify the investment expense when mining profits are soo reliant on coin prices which are at historic highs now. Also can't rationalize going into the top tier electricity rates because of usage, I try to be green.

current mining with four 1080TI in the biostar board. I'm still relatively new to this.

power use is 728 watts at the wall according to a power meter. (power target is 65% with MSI afterburner - and overclock is engaged to hit above stock speeds)
That's right at $2 per day in electricity at .12 KWH for four cards. So let's triple that for 12 cards. Electricity should be about $6 a day. Gross profit should be $30-$35 per day at the current levels. Net should be $25 -$30 per day.

Not counting how it affects A/C bill --I have no idea how to calculate that. But it's seasonally turning cooler soon in the Midwest - at which point it'll help reduce the heating bill over fall and winter. (slightly)

I'm kind of thinking - earn a single bitcoin, and re-asses my plans at that interval. If bitcoins do what some are predicting - they could be worth exponentially more than they are right now in the next 3 years. I'm late to the party - but better late than never. :)

I viewed this methodology of acquiring a bitcoin to be less risky than outright buying a coin.

Let's say the whole infrastructure crumbles tomorrow. If I bought a bitcoin today I'd be out $4,300 - cause my bitcoin is worthless.

Instead I bought all this hardware --- and if I had to sell it all tomorrow I'd take a 20% hit and walk away. The same holds true in a couple months. Might take a 25% or 30% hit in 3 or 4 months time.

Not to mention - I enjoy hardware, and geeking out on this this stuff. If I mine for 8 months I should have acquired enough BTC to basically pay for my hardware outright. So I can sell the BTC and just have the hardware asset value when I sell everything off (maybe 5K of the 8.5K?)

or at that interval I could pay off the hardware and just keep mining at pure profit.

or I could cash out the bitcoin, and sell all the hardware - and be up a few thousand?

Worst case - I just have a lot of slightly devalued used hardware (1080TIs and Vegas) to sell.

--------------------

Don't even bother with any of this if you don't like to tinker with hardware, tinker with undervolting/overclocking, the time/energy to read a bunch, and just generally get your hands dirty. Inevitably you'll have PC troubleshooting issues x5. It's not an arena for the novice.

One of the guys I know just plugs everything in and runs it at full stock electricity settings, when something breaks he doesn't really know how to troubleshoot -and so he just has to buy new. He buys expensive stuff and his ROI is going to take a long time. He just bought a 1500 watt PSU today for $450. I'm like what???? He said he wanted to run everything on one PSU. He also bought a $300 miner case on ebay.

um... a psu splitter cable to run two inexpensive ~1000 watt PSUs costs $10, and my mining rig is running sprawled out on a table in a unused bedroom. You can buy new 1000 watt gold efficiency PSU's on ebay for around $80 bucks or less.

Last edited:
You could just buy the coins instead.

BTC bought a month or so ago would have return more than double the investment today. With the investment in gpus and your profit calcs you'll have to mine for over a year to get the same profit. Assuming that coin prices rise to offset the lower rewards from increased difficulty as time goes on. If one is mining today then this is what one has to expect in order for mining to be profitable (i.e., that coin prices rise to at least offset the lower rewards from increased difficulty as time goes on), in which case just buy the coin instead since you are predicting coin prices will rise.

current mining with four 1080TI in the biostar board. I'm still relatively new to this.

power use is 728 watts at the wall according to a power meter. (power target is 65% with MSI afterburner - and overclock is engaged to hit above stock speeds)
That's right at $2 per day in electricity at .12 KWH for four cards. So let's triple that for 12 cards. Electricity should be about $6 a day. Gross profit should be $30-$35 per day at the current levels. Net should be $25 -$30 per day.

Not counting how it affects A/C bill --I have no idea how to calculate that. But it's seasonally turning cooler soon in the Midwest - at which point it'll help reduce the heating bill over fall and winter. (slightly)

I'm kind of thinking - earn a single bitcoin, and re-asses my plans at that interval. If bitcoins do what some are predicting - they could be worth exponentially more than they are right now in the next 3 years. I'm late to the party - but better late than never. :)

I viewed this methodology of acquiring a bitcoin to be less risky than outright buying a coin.

Let's say the whole infrastructure crumbles tomorrow. If I bought a bitcoin today I'd be out $4,300 - cause my bitcoin is worthless.

Instead I bought all this hardware --- and if I had to sell it all tomorrow I'd take a 20% hit and walk away. The same holds true in a couple months. Might take a 25% or 30% hit in 3 or 4 months time.

Not to mention - I enjoy hardware, and geeking out on this this stuff. If I mine for 8 months I should have acquired enough BTC to basically pay for my hardware outright. So I can sell the BTC and just have the hardware asset value when I sell everything off (maybe 5K of the 8.5K?)

or at that interval I could pay off the hardware and just keep mining at pure profit.

or I could cash out the bitcoin, and sell all the hardware - and be up a few thousand?

Worst case - I just have a lot of slightly devalued used hardware (1080TIs and Vegas) to sell.
For A/C, 1w of power to the A/C unit will remove ~ 3w of heat (actually it is little better than that). So if you dump 600w of power (virtually all energy in a computer goes into heat) your A/C cost would add another 200w to 800w from mining. 900w would add 300w A/C for 1200w mining.

BTC bought a month or so ago would have return more than double the investment today. With the investment in gpus and your profit calcs you'll have to mine for over a year to get the same profit. Assuming that coin prices rise to offset the lower rewards from increased difficulty as time goes on. If one is mining today then this is what one has to expect in order for mining to be profitable (i.e., that coin prices rise to at least offset the lower rewards from increased difficulty as time goes on), in which case just buy the coin instead since you are predicting coin prices will rise.

speculation on coin prices is too hard, there is absolutely nothing backing these coins, its like doing Forex without knowing the market of the currency you want trade in.

At least with mining, ya know approximately what you will get no matter what, and if price tanks, you can sell off the hardware.

True, but I personally felt that was too risky. But I certainly don't condem the notion - if you know and understand the risks of this unregulated crypto market!

I've made a lot of money, and LOST a lot of money in the traditional stock market over the years - and at the end of the day I've realized the stock market (individual stocks) is just gambling too - and I have no advantage over the next guy - in fact less because it's not my day job and I can't track all the details like the big investors. In the crypto markets - without regulation - it's even easier to be taken advantage of - or not have the full skinny.

At least here I control some of the risk by having quality assets I can sell if everything falls apart. The longer Volta delays -- the longer my hardware resale value stays up. :)

Back