Vega Rumors

AMD requires another 3.6 Billion transistors to boost clock speed?

W.T.F?

I think NVidia is in trouble, from all the injuries staff are going to suffer when the fall down laughing uncontrollably.

Holy shit this is worse than I thought possible. It really took them 2 years, a process shrink, and 3.6 Billion more transistors to boost the clock speed on Fiji.

I gotta go lie down.

Well pretty much they made the pipelines longer, adding more stages.

Looks like RX Vega Nano might just be a thing...!

https://smallformfactor.net/news/exclusive-fleeting-glance-vega-nano

VegaNano.jpg

SFF systems with 800 Watt PSUs and no airflow...

AMD requires another 3.6 Billion transistors to boost clock speed?

W.T.F?

I think NVidia is in trouble, from all the injuries staff are going to suffer when the fall down laughing uncontrollably.

Holy shit this is worse than I thought possible. It really took them 2 years, a process shrink, and 3.6 Billion more transistors to boost the clock speed on Fiji.

I gotta go lie down.

It does beg the question, what happened? What went wrong, they seemed to match specs with fiji, but what about architecture improvements? It really is just clock speed boosts and more memory causing most of the gains? What were they doing all this time?

If the liquid card really is 699 (source please?) and can only barely beat an air cooled 1080 at 499, this is a total disaster. vega 56 better be between a 1070 and a 1080 and sell for 350/399.

AMD-Radeon-RX-Vega-Family-Prices.jpg

You can only get the liquid cooled one as part of a bundle with coupons off on Ryzen processor + mobo combo and a coupon for $200 off a monitor. So its technically not $700 for the card but it might as well be. (You do get Prey and Wolfenstein)

Its launching August 14th. SEP Is not september its suggested price.

AMD-Radeon-RX-Vega-Family-Prices.jpg

You can only get the liquid cooled one as part of a bundle with coupons off on Ryzen processor + mobo combo and a coupon for $200 off a monitor. So its technically not $700 for the card but it might as well be. (You do get Prey and Wolfenstein)

So expensive and late. Vega 56 might be salvageable if it performs in between a 1070 and 1080, but if tests were with the liquid vega 64 to barely jump ahead of a 1080 on air in cherry picked games, I am supremely worried about the performance of that air cooled vega 64 at the same price as a 1080. This has the potential to be a dumpster fire, a delayed dumpster fire at that.

But, since I'm an AMD fanboy, I'll still buy one of them. But I doubt many other sane people will bother.

AMD overclocks the piss out of an already power hungry card, slaps a water cooler on it so it doesn't catch fire, and prices it near the 100th

you can't fucking make this up

haaaaaaha

only the AIO Vega will have a chance to keep up with the 1080... which means 600 bucks for 1080 speeds

No I expect AIO to actually be faster then 1080. It should sustain those boost clocks rather well!

So expensive and late. Vega 56 might be salvageable if it performs in between a 1070 and 1080, but if tests were with the liquid vega 64 to barely jump ahead of a 1080 on air in cherry picked games, I am supremely worried about the performance of that air cooled vega 64 at the same price as a 1080. This has the potential to be a dumpster fire, a delayed dumpster fire at that.

But, since I'm an AMD fanboy, I'll still buy one of them. But I doubt many other sane people will bother.

Don't worry.

It would eventually become a collectable item like the GeForce FX 5800 Ultra and have decent resell value.

210 watts TBP is RX Vega 56

350 watts TBP for the RX Vega 64 water cooled

290 watts TBP for the RX Vega 64 air cooled cooled

Now AMD is using TDP which is only the GPU power usage.

These cards are for fan boys who want to be in the eco system. Reason amd is offering fat bundle discounts. I am sure they will sell all they make, they wont be making too many to begin with it seems.

Hey it makes sense Vega is perfect definition of "Behind in R&D".

They haven't been able to make up the efficiency which. Vega is perfect example of RTG trying to squeeze as much gaming as they can out of GCN which is taking more power. That is where the lack of efficiency comes from. But this truly is the end of GCN, because their won't be any more high end cards they will be able to make with same architecture because it will put them out of power envelope. So I think we should all thank that Vega is finally here because this is likely the end of GCN.

No I expect AIO to actually be faster then 1080. It should sustain those boost clocks rather well!

PCPer tested a Vega Frontier Edition Liquid Cooled at 1712 mHZ. Still performed worse than a 1080 (some examples below). Given that the AIO RX is clocked at 1677 mHZ I would guess that it performs similarly. Yes, there may be some driver improvement by the time it releases in Aug but I don't think its realistic to expect that the updated drivers will bump the performance more the 5-10%.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graph...-16GB-Liquid-Cooled-Review/Overclocking-and-C

Radeon Vega Frontier Edition 16GB Liquid-Cooled (350W), Average FPS Comparisons, Rise of the Tomb Raider
Vega FE Air GTX 1080 Ti GTX 1080 GTX 1070
2560x1440 +12% -30% -2% +25%
3840x2160 +17% -28% +0%

Radeon Vega Frontier Edition 16GB Liquid-Cooled (350W), Average FPS Comparisons, The Witcher 3
Vega FE Air GTX 1080 Ti GTX 1080 GTX 1070
2560x1440 +13% -30% -6% +14%
3840x2160 +15% -31% -4%

210 watts TBP is RX Vega 56

350 watts TBP for the RX Vega 64 water cooled

290 watts TBP for the RX Vega 64 air cooled cooled

Now AMD is using TDP which is only the GPU power usage.

TBP Is total board power. So yea they are tricking you in to making a claim that GPU is actually using less.

I actually want to see how the vega 56 performs. I wouldn't be surprised if that sucker with a little overclock performs just like vega 64. That will show us the shader inefficiency, I wouldn't be surprised if AMD bullshitted about all these features. I think they renamed a bunch of shit! lol.

"Back at CES I had the chance to sit down over supper with a long-time ex employee of AMD and RTG. When asked about the long, drawn out release of Vega his simple answer was: There’s two ways to break bad news to someone - either all at once or prepare the person little by little so acceptance comes easier."

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...-reveals-rx-vega-price-performance-specs.html

"AMD has revealed they are competing against an NVIDIA card that is 16 months old with something that runs hotter and consumes more power."

Ryzen, EPYC, Vega... Sigh, meatloaf again. 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

A bit worried about Vega 56 availability though. At $400 and likely similar hash rates to a 1070 (based on what we see from FE cards), I'm thinking it might be a bit hard to find. Maybe mining will cool down further by the time it launches in August.

I might actually buy a Vega 56 and underclock it.

I have a 75hz 1440p freesync monitor with RX 480 at 1200mhz right now.

I really regret getting the 1440p as well as the 4k freesync monitor that I still have.

Ryzen, EPYC, Vega... Sigh, meatloaf again. 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

I was just hoping for some strong competition in the graphics market as well. Its clear that Intel started offering more at lower prices once AMD started threatening them--its made the CPU market the most exciting its been in nearly 10 years. Wanted the same for the GPU market.

I might actually buy a Vega 56 and underclock it.

I have a 75hz 1440p freesync monitor with RX 480 at 1200mhz right now.

I really regret getting the 1440p as well as the 4k freesync monitor that I still have.

Actually it might be a good mining card, if it can get 45 mhs @ 210 watts, that will put it up there close to the rx 580, and unvolting a little might get it to where the 1070's are.

A bit worried about Vega 56 availability though. At $400 and likely similar hash rates to a 1070 (based on what we see from FE cards), I'm thinking it might be a bit hard to find. Maybe mining will cool down further by the time it launches in August.

vega 56 is launching in september I think. Probably end of august. Right now no firm date. Anandtech stated that 56 is coming at a later date.

AMD-Radeon-RX-Vega-64-Performance-Battlefield-1.png

Looking, up old reviews the 1080 did 142 at 1920x1080, and 107 fps at 1440, and 59 fps at 4K. Pretty comparable with these RX Vega numbers. RX Vega is basically just a tad bit lower on AVG fps but a bit better on minimums.

AMD overclocks the piss out of an already power hungry card, slaps a water cooler on it so it doesn't catch fire, and prices it near the 100th

you can't fucking make this up

haaaaaaha

Well, for $200 more(bundle included as well) you get an AOI WC solution that would probably cost you about $120 anyway.

Actually if you are in for a monitor and dont give a damn about power. The Liquid edition with $200 off samsung freesync monitor may not be a bad deal. I have been waiting on a monitor for 6 months lol. Would have been even sweeter if the regular vega 64 had the same deal!

30% faster than Fiji. Not good, scaling is pretty bad on Vega.

well if its not boosting to 1547 all the time and averaging around 1400 it might not be that bad. I am waiting to see what the average sustained clock is. Yea you are right it just seems that they focused on pure math portion and gaming seems like an incremental increase.

I am wondering if that is what Nvidia was saying about pascal, when they said they got lucky. May be they were looking for 30-40% generational increased and shit their pants when they were getting 70% and shit lol.

Is there life beyond GCN?

Clearly, GCN is not the future.

Well they have to do a butt load of changes with Navi and with Navi coming out end of 2018 that means its close to Volta's replacement, they have to jump 2 gens to catch up, which is pretty much unheard of when the other company doesn't F up.

I was just hoping for some strong competition in the graphics market as well. Its clear that Intel started offering more at lower prices once AMD started threatening them--its made the CPU market the most exciting its been in nearly 10 years. Wanted the same for the GPU market.

Yeah.

I don't think Nvidia is going to change course for any reason right now. It's really too bad you'd need a reactor to run crossfire. As usual I'll be reading the benches...

Intel should be thinking about their lineup, though.

Actually it might be a good mining card, if it can get 45 mhs @ 210 watts, that will put it up there close to the rx 580, and unvolting a little might get it to where the 1070's are.

I don't think it will be that good for mining either way. Even if it is, good luck buying them in large quantities.

Is there life beyond GCN?

Clearly, GCN is not the future.

No I think GCN has hit its limit. I truly believe Navi is different. Then again RTG is becoming what AMD was on the CPU side. May be 2 years from now we will see some actual efficiency + performance gain.

I don't think it will be that good for mining either way. Even if it is, good luck buying them in large quantities.

I think the rx Vega 56 will be the easiest of the Vega's to get that is where the money is in the performance segment, it would be prudent for AMD to focus on that SKU.

I think the rx Vega 56 will be the easiest of the Vega's to get that is where the money is in the performance segment, it would be prudent for AMD to focus on that SKU.

Actually I found some Vega FE numbers.

38MH/s for the Vega FE at -200 core clock while dual mining. The 300W power draw is probably because the author didn't know how to undervolt or set power target.

If we are lucky the Vega 56 will do 35MH/s at 170W after undervolting.

I'll definately get one or two when it comes out.

http://1stminingrig.com/amd-vega-frontier-edition-mining-performance-review/

RPM only 15% increased performance, hmm they said at least, so 15% + but that is no where near the the 2x times geometry output they showed before, sounds like the front end issues weren't fixed at all after Polaris.

Back