Vega Rumors

Not good for the AMDrones. I really hope this isn't a true representation of Vega.

I expect the usual shills around here to go pretty silent about Vega and they'll go #WaitforNavi

Nah man, if it's really this bad come launch day for gaming and costs more than a 1070, people won't be happy about it at all. I'm probably stuck getting one if I want a performance increase due to owning a freesync monitor. I'm happy with my 225 dollar Fury Nitro, maybe Vega will reach that price in a year and I'll pick one up.

This is not the gaming card, but their prosumer card and AMD has stated the gaming card would be faster. If you waited this long for Vega I think 1 more month to know for sure is not out of reach. But most of this thread is just full of vile and why I just tend to avoid it.

This is not the gaming card, but their prosumer card and AMD has stated the gaming card would be faster. If you waited this long for Vega I think 1 more month to know for sure is not out of reach. But most of this thread is just full of vile and why I just tend to avoid it.

The issue is that AMD placed this against the Titan. That is what it should be compared to across the board but it fails to compete with the Titan or 1080ti in gaming and there are cheaper/better professional cards.

Not good at all. I guess the rumors were correct about 1080 performance at best. Such a shame for folks that would like to see competition on the GPU front.

gaming mode thermal throttling? He is still testing it though.

Just a glitch reset afterburner and it looks to be fine now.

Nooo, I really need to migrate to green side if I want more performance :cry:

There are evil men on that side, even on this forum :depressed:

he got it working fine, fan is working, I would like to see it without all those extra fans he using to keep it cool, he stated with out them it thermal throttles to 1200mhz

yeah he said the reference cooler isn't good enough for this card.

Last edited:
Don't fool yourself, AMD is just as bad or worse.

You're probably right, but having them not be successful gives Nvidia a monopoly in the discrete graphics market which is good for no one. Ryzen has done a lot of damage to Intel and brought us better pricing, I was hoping Vega would do the same to Nvidia.

Live testing summary:

- Time Spy Graphics = 6785 pts
- Fire Strike Ultra Graphics = 5091 pts
- Doom Vulkan 4K Ultra @ 55-65 FPS
- The Witcher 3 @ 28-35 FPS at 4K Hairworks on / 41-42 FPS with Hairworks off (80 C running the game)
- Troubles OCing past 1650 MHz with the blower
- Tried to OC HBM, starts at 945 MHz, managed 960 MHz stable and at 980 MHz it got too hot
- Tester says you won't be able to OC without additional cooling, thermal throttling (80-85 C)
- Tester put 2x 80 mm fans to help (open air case) and it was down to 75 C
- Tester doesn't think it will touch the 1080 Ti performance-wise, only 1070-1080s
- Mining: 30-35 MH/s
- Cinebench R15 OpenGL: 97.39 FPS
- Initial testing done using Pro drivers, then switched to the Gaming drivers and performance didn't change
- Card initially operate at 1348-1528 MHz in gaming mode running The Witcher 3 (37-42 FPS), then after retesting it was back to 1650 MHz max (and delivered the same 42 FPS as Pro mode)
- >300W for the VGA alone
- EVGA P2 1200W Platinum Power Supply + Ryzen R7 1800X CPU

Last edited:
1080 performance is fine if they price it accordingly. 1080 pushes my 3440x1440 nicely.

At least they are in the ballpark and it should do VR fine.

I like how people are already blaming the stock cooler for a $1000 GPU.
Live testing summary:

- Time Spy Graphics = 6875 pts
- Doom Vulkan 4K Ultra @ 55-65 FPS
- The Witcher 3 @ 28-35 FPS at 4K Hairworks on / 41-42 FPS with Hairworks off (80 C running the game)
- Troubles OCing past 1650 MHz with the blower
- Tried to OC HBM, starts at 945 MHz, managed 960 MHz stable and at 980 MHz it got too hot
- Tester says you won't be able to OC without additional cooling, thermal throttling (80-85 C)
- Tester put 2x 80 mm fans to help (open air case) and it was down to 75 C
- Tester doesn't think it will touch the 1080 Ti performance-wise, only 1070-1080s
- Mining: 30-35 MH/s
- Cinebench R15 OpenGL: 97.39 FPS
- Initial testing done using Pro drivers, then switched to the Gaming drivers and performance didn't change (37-42 FPS @ TW3 4K HW Off)
- Card operate at 1348-1528 MHz in gaming mode during The Witcher 3 testing
- >300W for the GPU alone

Cliff notes:
Too hot
Power hungry
Bad overclocking
One year late

RIP RX Vega if it is over $450

Pro drivers and Gaming drivers not affecting performance might be a clue something is up.

Not really, quadros are pretty much the same thing in many games, actually the p100 version quadros perform better at times in games too. Really depends on the game.

So benefit of the doubt 10% faster in games for rx Vega. Even with that, its going to be not so good if its more than 450 bucks.

Not really, quadros are pretty much the same thing in many games, actually the p100 version quadros perform better at times in games too. Really depends on the game.

So benefit of the doubt 10% faster in games for rx Vega. Even with that, its going to be not so good if its more than 450 bucks.

That may be true but using Nvidia as reference to how a AMD card will perform might be a bit of a stretch. They may have broke the gaming driver on purpose to keep people in the dark on how the gaming side will do. But who knows, I look forward to seeing the gaming version and I hope it's competitive otherwise it's not good for us consumers.

Pro drivers and Gaming drivers not affecting performance might be a clue something is up.
That may be true but using Nvidia as reference to how a AMD card will perform might be a bit of a stretch. They may have broke the gaming driver on purpose to keep people in the dark on how the gaming side will do. But who knows, I look forward to seeing the gaming version and I hope it's competitive otherwise it's not good for us consumers.

If AMD is hiding performance on a $1000 GPU directly marketed at game content creators, with a Gaming Mode, AMD is fucked.

Oh for pete sakes, you can't say crap until AMD does the driver optimizations. When we run pre-release build we have all kinds of diagnostics built into our code to analyze performance (which in fact slows it down) and to promote stability. These alone cost us over 20% performance. Even the press from AMD says the gaming drivers are ready yet. Right now they concentrated on professional drivers because they are what is being released first.

As usual more d*ck swinging by fanbois from both sides who wouldn't know how things work if it hit them in the head.

So put your clubs away until AMD says, "These are the official release drivers for gaming." Then we can crucify them if they deliver 1080 performance > 1080 price.

Oh for pete sakes, you can't say crap until AMD does the driver optimizations. When we run pre-release build we have all kinds of diagnostics built into our code to analyze performance (which in fact slows it down) and to promote stability. These alone cost us over 20% performance. Even the press from AMD says the gaming drivers are ready yet. Right now they concentrated on professional drivers because they are what is being released first.

As usual more d*ck swinging by fanbois from both sides who wouldn't know how things work if it hit them in the head.

So put your clubs away until AMD says, "These are the official release drivers for gaming." Then we can crucify them if they deliver 1080 performance > 1080ti price.

It's a 14nm Fury GPU with HBM2, are you claiming the Fury platform hasn't been optimized by AMD yet?

I'm sure it's not quite as terrible as we're all thinking right now. Early drivers. Questionable setup from YouTube guy. Early drivers?

Newegg just charged me for my order of cards, so I guess I'm staying on the Vega train for now, heh.

So put your clubs away until AMD says, "These are the official release drivers for gaming." Then we can crucify them if they deliver 1080 performance > 1080 price.

They aren't going to take 1070 to 1080 performance levels all the way up to 1080ti levels in games with drivers, not going to happen.

Lets say they can solidly get to 1080 and to somewhere around 10% above 1080 with rx Vega, it still won't be good unless they have a price at around 450 bucks, cause it consumes so much more power its crazy. 120 watts more that is a huge difference. Then when we start looking at Fiji, Fiji doesn't look as bad, at least it kept up and matched up with the 980ti the second best card and only used 25 watts more.

I don't think they are hiding anything, but a I do agree its bad for competition, worse yet, just doing compute operations in mining, its worse than the 1080ti, the 1080ti out of the box gets the same hash rates and can be tweaked to get over 35mhs on eth miners. This guy wasn't able to tweak Vega's memory at all 20 mhz is nothing, I think its clocked to the max on the vram from the sound of it, when he stated overclocking the memory, it caused the card to throttle too.

Waiting for AnAndTech Review, some of the tubers will probably start yapping away tomorrow as well. I would like to know the ceiling when properly cooled on the clock speed - if the clock speed is lower due to thermal throttling than data so far would be skewed worst then it's potential. To bad the water cooled version is not available yet but I get the feeling the water cooler is too small for it - :LOL: and probably not worth the extra $500. Hmmm, might be able to pick these up in a couple of months for less than $800. Has Raja shaved yet? Bald? So he can hide.

Waiting for AnAndTech Review, some of the tubers will probably start yapping away tomorrow as well. I would like to know the ceiling when properly cooled on the clock speed - if the clock speed is lower due to thermal throttling than data so far would be skewed worst then it's potential. To bad the water cooled version is not available yet but I get the feeling the water cooler is too small for it - :LOL: and probably not worth the extra $500. Hmmm, might be able to pick these up in a couple of months for less than $800. Has Raja shaved yet? Bald? So he can hide.

Yeah a small radiator like on the Fury X isn't going to be worth it unless they do 2x140mm likewise. It's a lot of heat AND they put the vram near the die making it even worse.

A giant air cooler will probably be best... or a big AIO/custom water.

Trying to use a blower at this wattage is hilarious. I get why, but maybe they should have made it an extra slot deep.

Yeah a small radiator like on the Fury X isn't going to be worth it unless they do 2x140mm likewise. It's a lot of heat AND they put the vram near the die making it even worse.

A giant air cooler will probably be best... or a big AIO/custom water.

Trying to use a blower at this wattage is hilarious. I get why, but maybe they should have made it an extra slot deep.
It'll be fine. The cooler on the Fury X can keep the 275 watt Fury X at 60-65* at 100% load and 50% fan all week long. What's 25 watts more gonna do? 55% fan? It's a nice thick quality rad with plenty of cooling headroom. I've been mining on my Fury X the last week. No concerns with a pair of them in the cosmos 1010 case I have running full tilt. The side panel even stays on!

guys, guys, don't worry, performance will be fine. In another month when gaming vega is released, we'll see ledra and razor with crossfire Vegas in their personal rigs.

Back