- Joined
- Apr 10, 2003
- Messages
- 23,532
So what I said all along was true; simple capitalism at work.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
So what I said all along was true; simple capitalism at work.
Not speaking to the whole but I did get the exact price AMD stated for my WC Vega64= $699 + 2free games (debatable yes but actually paid for the games and got the card cheaper) + $200 off Samsung 21:9 Freesync monitor. So AMD didn't lie, well not completely, however as Kyle has stated= AMD is not in the driver seat here. The situation sucks but the miners have set precedence here and it is ugly. I am just happy I got what I wanted for the price I expected to pay. Before that day there was a lot of fear that my eventual case would not have been so eventual.There is no value for this card for miners to begin with the packs don't do anything for the sale of this card you spend 100 bucks to get 1 games that's pretty much retail cost of the games. And if the "rumor" of the SEP is real, AMD did do this for favorable reviews and something they missed to help out their partners. You have two etailers that stated the exact same thing, and they happen to be the biggest etailers in UK and Europe. They got a 100 buck kickback from AMD for the initial launch price.
Linus did bring up a good point (although he didn't continue upon it), XFX is not doing so well, and we can imagine almost all AMD AIB partners (or the divisions of those companies that specifically cater to AMD only cards) aren't doing so well cause well marketshare figures will hurt them.
Either they get their money upfront per unit or by bulk, when they don't have bulk well they need to get the money upfront. If they don't have either its a losing proportion for them. Look what happened to BFG they went out of business due to the fact they didn't have the volume sales and when nV lost marketshare with the 28x line they couldn't stay afloat cause the cards definitely weren't making much money per unit, this was the first time in many years nV posted a loss in their book. It was too much for them. This is why so many other AIB's started branching out to power supplies, motherboards, memory and what not. They need to diversify to maintain their primary markets just in case something bad happens.
Not speaking to the whole but I did get the exact price AMD stated for my WC Vega64= $699 + 2free games (debatable yes but actually paid for the games and got the card cheaper) + $200 off Samsung 21:9 Freesync monitor. So AMD didn't lie, well not completely, however as Kyle has stated= AMD is not in the driver seat here. The situation sucks but the miners have set precedence here and it is ugly. I am just happy I got what I wanted for the price I expected to pay. Before that day there was a lot of fear that my eventual case would not have been so eventual.
Not speaking to the whole but I did get the exact price AMD stated for my WC Vega64= $699 + 2free games (debatable yes but actually paid for the games and got the card cheaper) + $200 off Samsung 21:9 Freesync monitor. So AMD didn't lie, well not completely, however as Kyle has stated= AMD is not in the driver seat here. The situation sucks but the miners have set precedence here and it is ugly. I am just happy I got what I wanted for the price I expected to pay. Before that day there was a lot of fear that my eventual case would not have been so eventual.
Again I don't believe Gibbo or anyone quoting him as truth. I simply don't. I might as well be from Missouri as someone is going to have to show me some documentation for me to believe what he is saying. And this rumor started with him and his outfit.![]()
You don't need to take his word for it, break down the cost for yourself, you have to believe yourself.....
I broke it down with 100% yield lol and it doesn't work.......
Has it been stated at all that MAYBE the AIBs are holding chips for their versions rather than produce reference versions?
Then the VEGA56 will be $698 since they both have the SAME chip, the SAME boards, the SAME HBM2, the SAME connectors....
Cost wise they are the same but retail price wise they have to drop it. So if Vega 64 can't come in under 499, Vega 56 will be a pain to get under that point without taking cuts on margins. And that is normal practice cut down parts always have less margins. We can't even use a 1070 to a 1080 as an example because the 1080 uses more expensive gddr memory.
Has it been stated at all that MAYBE the AIBs are holding chips for their versions rather than produce reference versions?
This would be stupid by the AIBs, they would be just leaving money on the table.
Whats the meme-ism "SS or didn't happen" ? ieAMD is in the driver seat if they were offering rebates so sellers could list the cards at MSRP.
Screeshot of Proof (Rebate from AMD..) or STFU..
The ONLY "documented source" of the supposed "Rebate Program" is Gibbo. GN sources are anonymous.."our understanding" .. is akin to The Donald saying "I heard that..<insert factially incorrect/false statement>"..
Dag Pettersen, component manager at Komplett.no, says that all 275 graphics cards were about 9 hours away.
- Will not be back
"The RX Vega 64 version we had for sale was in a limited edition of this price and will unfortunately not be put up for sale again. When these were sold out, we had to remove this product from our pages, confirms Pettersen.
Komplett.no is still the online store that offers the most affordable Vega RX 64 card to 5999 kroner, but at the load you now get two games either you wish it or not. This is because, according to Pettersen, AMD will only deliver RX Vega 64 in a package of two included games, "Prey" and "Wolfenstein 2". Therefore, a version with only the graphics card will not be sold anymore.
Well Newegg is bundling them in a combo now for 689.99 with a $50 discount. That joke is getting worse. Don't tell me amd can't get the combo prices in control!
This.Desperate folks...... or people that really love sync technology and are stuck with freesync for now.
Maybe they can threaten to cut NewEgg and other price gougers off? Then open their own web store and sell them like Nvidia?
This. I don't know why they have not done it already ffs. I guess they don't have the cash around to start a support centre, at least though they could get better margins on their card for once...
This.
It's new adopter+free sync tax. So much for the '$200 difference'.
They are not as efficient as polaris for mining so miners won't really care outside of new toy and 'potential' drivers. AMD already released a mining driver update, yet half the other shit on the card is still broken. I think they're going for the newb miners who just see hashrate... that's not going to last long.
In New Zealand there is heaps of stock, for some strange reason. Most people here are intvidia sheep and freesync screen availability is pretty shit to be honest, so keep that in mind as it's not a typical market e.g. USA.
I'm calling it - this is the worst launch in AMD history, not just perf/watt etc (there have been worse in this way e.g. bulldozer and some of the other GPUs), but for the sheer FUCK YOU to people who waited for their bullshit. I'm at the point where I'm going to tell a friend who wants me tobuild them a new rig, to say fuck waiting for what will be overpriced Vega56, and just get a fucking 1080/Ti. Maybe something like Ryzen 3/5 and a Ti for 'budget' 4k/UW gaming.
I am not an Nvidia/Intel fan at all for their shitty practices but RTG has royally fucked any 'good will' I had for them with this move.
If they can warranty their CPU's they allready have a support center.This. I don't know why they have not done it already ffs. I guess they don't have the cash around to start a support centre, at least though they could get better margins on their card for once...
AMD well ATi the past did have their own cards (sapphire made them but ATi sold them). Probably cause of the cash issue they won't do this, since then AMD will have put the bill up for the entire warranty.
well the mining driver only fixes problems they had in the past for rx47x through the rx58x.
Good point.. hmmmm probably cash issues then. Hopefully Ryzen does well enough they can afford to consider this come Navi time, its the only way they can combat scalping really.If they can warranty their CPU's they allready have a support center.
Nothing from that (r)etailer mentions ANYTHING about a price increase of standalone, nor of a rebate on standalone cars... again.. NOTHING in there about the stand alones being part of a rebate program.. the ONLY thing the etailer is confirming is the limited availability of the standalone parts and the (already known) packs.Gibbo isn't the only one Tek.no got their info from a European retailer that stated pretty much the exact same thing Gibbo stated, it was in norwegian so the translation isn't the greatest.
https://www.tek.no/artikler/amds-rx-vega-64-oker-med-1000-kroner-i-norge/403711
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https://www.tek.no/artikler/amds-rx-vega-64-oker-med-1000-kroner-i-norge/403711&edit-text=
if it was just Gibbo personally I would be more inclined that the price hike was do to low supply only and retailers are taking advantage. It looks to be some truth behind these cards can't be sold at that price, and it kinda makes sense when ya break the costs down.
yet again more proof of people who either have limited or no experience in retail/inventory management. When a (r)etailer receives shipment, the parts are sku'd by the manu. Newegg is charging nearly $100 (ok $90) over mrsp for a reference / black bundle sku.Well Newegg is bundling them in a combo now for 689.99 with a $50 discount. That joke is getting worse. Don't tell me amd can't get the combo prices in control!
People would rather believe that Gibbo, Gamer's Nexus, and tek.no are all wrong than believe AMD did something shady to manipulate reviews and consumers.
Nothing from that (r)etailer mentions ANYTHING about a price increase of standalone, nor of a rebate process. again.. NOTHING in there about the stand alones being part of a rebate program.. the ONLY thing the etailer is confirming is the limited availability of the standalone parts and the (already known) packs.
It's like people never worked in retails (I personally have almost 20 years the r-etail)..
yet again more proof of people who either have limited or no experience in retail/inventory management. When a (r)etailer receives shipment, the parts are sku'd by the manu. Newegg is charging nearly $100 (ok $90) over mrsp for a reference / black bundle sku.
If Komplett.no is unwilling to get the stand alone cards so they can sell them at $499 what does that mean? You were in retail right what does it mean?
In my mind there are two reasons, either they can't get them at that price were they can sell it at $499, or they aren't making money at that price. Hence why they went to route with the packs, cause they can actually make money @ the price they are selling it at. And at 599-699 those games aren't worth that extra money, what if the person doesn't need the other hardware, and the price of the card is now dangerously close to a 1080ti.
You say you work in retail, tell how that works when a person who doesn't need a monitor or a CPU can only buy a pack deal? The rest of the money is a waste of him so its essentially now part of the cost of the card.
Actually 3 reasons, they can't get the product as stand alone too.
If Komplett.no is unwilling to get the stand alone cards so they can sell them at $499 what does that mean? You were in retail right what does it mean?
In my mind there are two reasons, either they can't get them at that price were they can sell it at $499, or they aren't making money at that price. Hence why they went to route with the packs, cause they can actually make money @ the price they are selling it at. And at 599-699 those games aren't worth that extra money, what if the person doesn't need the other hardware, and the price of the card is now dangerously close to a 1080ti.
You say you work in retail, tell how that works when a person who doesn't need a monitor or a CPU can only buy a pack deal? The rest of the money is a waste for him so its essentially now part of the cost of the card.
Actually 3 reasons, they can't get the product as stand alone too.
I'd dare say 3rd is most likely the reason.. (r)etailers don't typically do things simply our of being nice or "morals" or grew a backbone.
Vega 56 is AMD bread and butter, it will sell well because as I stated before, it has no competition, because getting a 1070 these days, not that easy at least outside of EVGA cards or without increased pricing on the other models which hash better than EVGA's after doing all the mods. Granted one thing I did notice about EVGA's even though they don't get the hash rates, they consume less power when mining but it doesn't cover the loss in the hash rates.
Why is there a difference between them? Timings in bios or?Vega 56 is AMD bread and butter, it will sell well because as I stated before, it has no competition, because getting a 1070 these days, not that easy at least outside of EVGA cards or without increased pricing on the other models which hash better than EVGA's after doing all the mods. Granted one thing I did notice about EVGA's even though they don't get the hash rates, they consume less power when mining but it doesn't cover the loss in the hash rates.
There will probably be 100 units that sell for $399 across the different retailers.
Once the rebate runs out, the price will go up to $499.