Vega Rumors

Still considering switching my 1080 for this, just for freesync, once prices come down to normal.

The main thing that stops me from AMD is it can't force SGSSAA in World of Warships. :(

Can't go back to the jaggies. For the kids rigs AMD is ok though.

Problem is that peoples experience varies, even the blind experiment performed at [H] was not 100% in AMD court. Also the sample size is to small to honestly say one is really better than the other, or one experience is vastly improved over the other.

I honestly don't know how free sync or g-sync perform, never owned one of those types of monitors. I made a jump to a 27" before the tech was available , then made a jump to an ultra wide 34" before the tech caught up, and now I am on a 55" 4k, hoping to swap to a LG OLED later this year (If any of them every come to our side of the world).

Would have bought one of Acer/Asus 27" 144hz 4k monitors next month, now they are pushed back to Q1 or Q2 2018.

One point let's keep the comprisons clear. Adored tv wasn't stating gsync was inferior to freesync. He was saying any freesync experience is better than any vsync experience in his personal experience.

Hardforum's comparison was gsync. Vs freesync

So they are different comparisons

I haven't had much experience with gsync. But I've had a year or so with freesync. Everything I read that seems unbiased seems to point to the notion that freesync and gsync are fairly equitable technologies with minor and mostly inconsequential bottom line performance and experience deltas.

So it is reasonable to assume the adored tv host might also stage any gsync experience will best any vsync experience.

That would be a neat blind test. A RX 580 with a freesync monitor against a 1080ti with the exact same monitor and vsync.

Can't say I've ever seen proof of input lag with freesync or gsync on, and I've done plenty of searching. I've seen evidence to the contrary, though.

blur-busters-gsync-101-vsync-off-w-fps-limits-144Hz.png

Can't say I've ever seen proof of input lag with freesync or gsync on, and I've done plenty of searching. I've seen evidence to the contrary, though.

He actually predicted that Vega would perform like this months ago, and that AMD had no answer to the 1080ti. He's honestly one of the most objective youtubers there is, but because that means he leans away from groupthink, people call him biased. This may be the most Radeon-positive video I've ever seen him post, to be honest.

In January and prior he thought Vega was going to blow the doors off of Pascal, because of Lisa Sue's remarks of being very very competitive *pretty sure he quoted her too. And prior to that, there were many videos of Polaris so....

Also specifically remember him trying to dissuade the public about Polaris wasn't the only graphics card that went above PCI-e specs and tried to use the 1060's peak hits (spikes) as an example. Yet he didn't mention the only other card that ever went over pci-e specs was the r290x2......

Prior to all this all the BS videos of how great Polaris was going to be and of course the cream of the crop AMD's Master Plan series.

Now as of late he has toned down quite a bit, but still, a person doesn't make videos like that, which were sooooo off base from reality then just change his tune to what he is doing now, unless the back lash was strong enough that he understood he had to open up his mind a bit. Which he seems to have done lets see if it continues.

Last edited:

That's with vsync on. https://www.ragequitters.co.uk/benq-xl2730w-input-lag-freesync/ and disagree. Excuse the Linus!

But also I personally always see stutter or screen-tearing, it drove me nuts in my early days of building PC's in the mid 2000's, so when g-sync and freesync were announced I about shit myself. I'd always rather play with an adaptive refresh unless I was a super-serious competitive gamer that could actually use the 5ms difference when getting 300 fps versus 100 adaptive.

Edit:

Sorry, the linus video doesn't actually compare on/off like I thought it did. The original article you linked to though, does have a comparison of gsync without vsync versus no sync at all and it still proves my point.

Last edited:
I wish but this is just that body paint chick kay pike cosplaying ruby.

sex sells lol

My biggest gripe is really having the embargo date the same as release date. Be nice if they can have the embargo date a week before launch.

Well having a hard launch is a good thing and bad, but I don't think we will ever see a soft launch if a product is not so stellar

It's weird how they hyped the crap out of this then when it came time to release Vega it was so incredibly low key.

Had to hype it up for the investors......

Lol speaking of 980Tis someone should really benchmark a highly OCd one vs Vega I have a feeling it will compare very favorably both in terms of raw performance and in terms of perf/w

just ran some wildlands benches on my 3770k, 980ti @1500/4100

1440p very high settings, 70fps average.

Best think for RTG at this point would be RUBY.

Mining: We don't want miners to get all the card, but wait we are going to release the mining drivers. Even though we can't get or gaming drivers working and we can't get some of the features working still. But We will focus on some mining drivers.

Price: its $499, but no its 599 but hey most of them can only be bought in packs.

Driver: Video cardz is reporting that delays were due to drivers being shitty and at the end they just ended up pushing the card too hard and resulted in a power hog. I think they basically fucked up on alot of the features. DSBR looks like still not working, or is it? It looks its still disabled for rx vega.

What a joke of a launch! How many places did RTG fail? I mean Raja owns the blame for alot of it.

Best think for RTG at this point would be RUBY.

Mining: We don't want miners to get all the card, but wait we are going to release the mining drivers. Even though we can't get or gaming drivers working and we can't get some of the features working still. But We will focus on some mining drivers.

Price: its $499, but no its 599 but hey most of them can only be bought in packs.

Driver: Video cardz is reporting that delays were due to drivers being shitty and at the end they just ended up pushing the card too hard and resulted in a power hog. I think they basically fucked up on alot of the features. DSBR looks like still not working, or is it? It looks its still disabled for rx vega.

What a joke of a launch! How many places did RTG fail? I mean Raja owns the blame for alot of it.

I wouldn't use Ruby for Vega, don't tarnish Ruby lol.

Somewhat tangential to the topic at hand but this review by Jay2Cent really killed me cause this guy has been at the forefront of the whole hardware youtuber fad and he's been at for years and he still doesn't know the difference between giga and tera.

10 gigaflops is not very impressive lol, and sure people make mistakes but god damn he just keeps saying gigaflops throughout the whole video...

Somewhat tangential to the topic at hand but this review by Jay2Cent really killed me cause this guy has been at the forefront of the whole hardware youtuber fad and he's been at for years and he still doesn't know the difference between giga and tera.

10 gigaflops is not very impressive lol, and sure people make mistakes but god damn he just keeps saying gigaflops throughout the whole video...

Jay is a dumbass.

th

:)
Cheers

Jayz is decent when it comes to building and watercooling. Otherwise he's just entertainment, just like Linus.

The plot thickens, hardware unboxdd asked AMD for a comment on the pricing changes and they denied it. Now Hw unboxed is saying they no longer trust AMD marketing lmao

Where did you find that information.That seems way too small to be true.

In the link that was in leldra's post that I quoted.

"Our present understanding is that Newegg received 60-70 units allocated for “packs” on their store, but a significantly lower number of standalone cards. That’d explain why we saw the inventory and sell-through behavior at launch."

Back