Vega 64 GPU not recognized

allen5055

[H]ard|Gawd
I just upgraded my Vega 64 x 2 to Vega 64 x 4. I redid my waterblocks on my original Vega 64 and put it in the 4th PCI slot. Now, that GPU is not recognized. I tried swapping the power connectors from a GPU that was recognized, and it's still not. I tried disabling the other GPU's via PCI-e switch on the motherboard. I tried swapping the power cables, fliping the BIOS switch.

I tried booting from the GPU and it's not recognized at the BIOS level.

I previously ran 4x r9 290 so the motherboard used to work fine in a 4-way configuration.

I had a minor water leak yesterday with deionized water, and I dried it out, and carefully inspected the PCI-e slots seeing no water. I suspect maybe I missed some water or didn't seat the GPU properly.

Before I disassemble this whole thing and drain my loop and reseat the GPU, is there anything else I can try?

I have Haswell i7
Gigabyte Z87-OC Force
16GB DDR3 2400 RAM
1TB Samsung 950 EVO
4x XFX Vega 64 under EKWB waterblocks
Corsair AX1500i

Last edited:
The other three vega 64s are recognized.

I disassembled the water loop. I took out the offending card and did not see any damage to the GPU die or memory. I reinstalled the GPU. I tried it in each pci express slot and no matter what it was never recognized. I guess I fucked up the GPU somehow, although I see no damage. The gpu power indicator never goes on.

The next step is for me to put the air cooler back on and test it, then perhaps send it to XFX for warranty replacement. They say that replacing the cooler does not void the warranty.

I removed the waterblock to put on the stock air cooler, and when I removed the thermal tape I noticed a greasy glistening on the vrm's. I wonder if this is just the thermal tape stick side residue, or if a bit of water got in there. I will leave the card open to air for 24 hours, then put on the air cooler and test it, and if it is not powering up send it back to XFX.

Attachments

• 20171029_143442.jpg
    20171029_143442.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20171030_200307.jpg
    20171030_200307.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20171030_202202.jpg
    20171030_202202.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 27
Sound like u are going about it the right way. Hoping it works itself out and u dont have to deal with rma's !!!

I had to RMA it. I put the aircooler back on. Once again, I noticed no damage. The RADEON logo on the cooler would light up but no orange light for the upper right card indicating the card was on (my other 3 cards have this). XFX let me RMA it.

I never liked this card anyways. Shitty overclocker, the HBM wasn't stable past 1100mhz whereas my other card could do 1200 mhz for HBM. Also, the die was unmolded and I strongly suspected this was increasing the temperature of my HBM. Supposedly the newer cards are molded die's and hopefully that's what I'll get for the replacement.

If I have any problems with the RMA, my Sapphire Reserve credit card actually allows me to return any item within 90 days for a full refund. This includes damaged items. It's really an awesome credit card.

If you accidentally got water on the card due to a mod - then that damage is on you - and not XFX.

Also the further justification of returning the card because it was a crappy overclocker compared to other cards you have is invalid. o/c'ing isn't guaranteed by any vendor.
It's pointless for me to call these items out - but I think RMA's should be utilized when the product is actually broken, outside of the user's control/fault.

From the photo's he posted i don't think he got water on it where it mattered. I have had a compression fitting leak before and drip
down the card. Trust me u will see the burn marks when that happens. If anything the card sounds like it just let loose.

I don't think there was actually water. The vrms had thermal tape and I left the card open to air for two days and there was still an oily residue. I think that's from the tape. The oiliness was still there.

Also, if there was water, it was fresh deionized water, that shouldn't cause a short. Nor did I see any electrical damage on anything.

I put the aircooler back on and still the same problems with the card.

XFX also said they would accept the RMA unless the die was crushed.

I went ahead and sent the card in for RMA.

Last edited:
XFX sent me a brand new card. The new one was molded. I put it under water and all four cards are working well mining ethereum. I am gradually going to find the undervolting limits but currently have them at 0.85v with my card driving the display at 0.875v (display driver always seems to need more voltage in my experience). The molded dies have the hbm at about 3c lower than the single nonmolded die.

Back