Value Voltage Offset vs. Manual Voltage Value?

Boris_yo

Limp Gawd
Hi,

What's the difference between setting voltage offset versus setting manual voltage?

Aren't they doing the same thing in the end? It's just with manual voltage, you input new value every time like:

1.25, 1.2525, 1,2550, 1.2575, 1.26

Which it seems like it's harder to memorize than inputting value offset like:

+0.0025, +0.0050, +0.0075, +0.1

Someone correct me on this, but doesn't manual voltage run at that voltage all the time no matter the load? While offset voltage allows the processor to do its normal voltage regulation, plus or minus whatever offset you specify?

Someone correct me on this, but doesn't manual voltage run at that voltage all the time no matter the load? While offset voltage allows the processor to do its normal voltage regulation, plus or minus whatever offset you specify?
Correct. The processor may veer away from your manual voltage, but will try to stay as close as it can (and the agressiveness of that may be set on some boards). With voltage offset, it follows some algorithm or curve (based on freq/power, I imagine) set from the factory +/- your offset, and attempts to stay as close to that setting as it can.

So does it mean that by using offset voltage like +0.0075 the processor will be allowed to use any value within that range?

So does it mean that by using offset voltage like +0.0075 the processor will be allowed to use any value within that range?
The processor uses a varying amount of voltage all the time. It dynamically changes based on load, temperature, and other factors. There's a set behavior for it programmed into the motherboard.

If you use that +0.0075v offset, it will continue to use that set behavior, plus 0.0075 volts. That's what offset is.

Back