Valheim

One of the best (or the best) survival game out there,

I'd argue that it's not a survival game. Well, it's no more a survival game than Doom or Vanilla Skyrim. You can get killed by mobs, or drowning, but that's about it. You can't starve to death. You can't die from normal cold. You can die from extreme cold, but you where that is. If this is a survival game, it's the easiest survival game ever.

I still really enjoy it. It's fun as hell. They got the fun part right.

The game is definitely light on the survival aspect which is why I like it. You don't need to worry about drinking water, food doesn't spoil and go bad, not having shelter doesn't kill you. To me it's more of a crafting based RPG heavily reliant on food buffs as opposed to a survival game.

I think it's a tiered adventure game with a survival component. It has a pretty decent mix of activities although it can be tedious at times.

Wow 2 for 1. A lot of the servers in the list are there not because they want to be, but because you couldn't avoid it being in the server list, and then the ability to use dns will make it much easier to direct new players. This game is really designed for tight knit player bases so you're far more likely to be on your favorite forum and find other players to play with than just hopping into random servers. I much prefer playing on friend servers with people I know and inviting in friends of friends versus playing with complete strangers who just run around the map and don't work with the group. There are tons of communities you can visit if you're looking for people to play with and since it requires a shred of effort to find people to play with they might actually work with you instead of just immediately wandering off on their own. I think that's what will really help make the communities stronger around each server and more enjoyable once you're on a good one.

Hate to sound dense, but the best way to find others to play with is to join the Valheim Discord?

That's one way for sure and probably the most popular one. But given this game is creeping up on 5 million players I would think you can find people in any of your social groups who play it or want to get it. You're already here, so there might be some people even in this thread who might also be looking for players to play with. There is a subreddit you can check:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValheimLFG/

Or the official subreddit does have some looking for game (LFG) threads in it as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/

Another option that might work is if you watch twitch I'd guess there is probably a lot of chatter around streamers who are playing the game. You can probably meet other people who post in those chats to find other players who are interested. I wouldn't be surprised that in off topic channels on other games you play that someone has made a thread about this game.

There is also a specific dicussion area on Steam's forums for looking for group.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/892970/discussions/3/

Hopefully one of those areas should help you find other people to play with.

Hate to sound dense, but the best way to find others to play with is to join the Valheim Discord?

I'd be down to start/rent a [H]Server if there's enough of you interested in playing on it.

Let me know who'd be down to put some hours in.

I'd be down to start/rent a [H]Server if there's enough of you interested in playing on it.

I would be open to playing with others from [H]. Currently playing solo, but haven't tried first boss yet.

I almost posted yesterday saying, "I'm surprised we don't have a [H]ard server."

I'd be interested in playing on it.

I almost posted yesterday saying, "I'm surprised we don't have a [H]ard server."

I'd be interested in playing on it.
Its limited to 10 players and the netcode kinda sucks (coming from an old school, amateur dedicated server admin). What I mean by that is that some player, gets assigned the physics and game in a chunk and has to replicate that info out to the rest of the server for the players in the chunk. What seems to happen is that if that assigned player has shitty upload speed (and this game seems to use 500kbps/player upload if my usage graphs are accurate) that 10 player server might rely on your lowest common denominator player with a 3mbps upload.

My dedicated server is on gigabit with static IP and if my friend on comcast joins, my gameplay feels like the 50-80ms ping instead of the 1ms to my server box.

It's not the end of the world, just that the netcode seems a bit, well... ancient. Hopefully they can fix it.

Now, I'm just going off observation here. I havent wiresharked the transactions, but a dedicated server, as far as what I consider it to be, is very different for this game.

Its limited to 10 players and the netcode kinda sucks (coming from an old school, amateur dedicated server admin). What I mean by that is that some player, gets assigned the physics and game in a chunk and has to replicate that info out to the rest of the server for the players in the chunk. What seems to happen is that if that assigned player has shitty upload speed (and this game seems to use 500kbps/player upload if my usage graphs are accurate) that 10 player server might rely on your lowest common denominator player with a 3mbps upload.

My dedicated server is on gigabit with static IP and if my friend on comcast joins, my gameplay feels like the 50-80ms ping instead of the 1ms to my server box.

It's not the end of the world, just that the netcode seems a bit, well... ancient. Hopefully they can fix it.

Now, I'm just going off observation here. I havent wiresharked the transactions, but a dedicated server, as far as what I consider it to be, is very different for this game.
I've heard reports of the same thing in reviews. Apparently they're talking about working on it.

So far I'm enjoying the deep metagame of trapping trolls outside one of my bases. Got a pen set up for them, like my own personal Jurassic Park.

Currently up to 3.

also, hilariously, parried one by accident with a knife. 20 foot tall monster swinging a 20 foot tall tree at me. CLANG, parry that shit with a 5 inch knife

So far I'm enjoying the deep metagame of trapping trolls outside one of my bases. Got a pen set up for them, like my own personal Jurassic Park.

Currently up to 3.

also, hilariously, parried one by accident with a knife. 20 foot tall monster swinging a 20 foot tall tree at me. CLANG, parry that shit with a 5 inch knife
How do you keep them from dying? It seems like sunlight kills everything eventually, or skeletons come as well and they fight to death.

How do you keep them from dying? It seems like sunlight kills everything eventually, or skeletons come as well and they fight to death.
They've been trapped for like 2 days IRL so I'm pretty sure they're fine.

At one point I got a shaman trapped in there as well but I guess at some point they flattened the poor SOB.

Nothing can get in or out unless. You need to jump the fence or break it.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....845/2F31EFBF2068AA5DEAF9208DEF9F0AFB295CA28E/

They've been trapped for like 2 days IRL so I'm pretty sure they're fine.

At one point I got a shaman trapped in there as well but I guess at some point they flattened the poor SOB.

Nothing can get in or out unless. You need to jump the fence or break it.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....845/2F31EFBF2068AA5DEAF9208DEF9F0AFB295CA28E/

That's cool, but why?

I just learned today how devastating the skill loss is when you die. My top skills were at something like 28. I looked today, and they're 16. :eek:

This has been on my wishlist, but I've been burned or let down by Early Access enough times to vow never to spend another dime on one again.

I think I've found a loophole though - selling a ton of old unused TF2 inventory.... Up to $11.02 so far. Yeah, I know technically I'm still going to be spending $$ but this is a way I can tell myself I honored my EA boycott. :p

This has been on my wishlist, but I've been burned or let down by Early Access enough times to vow never to spend another dime on one again.

I think I've found a loophole though - selling a ton of old unused TF2 inventory.... Up to $11.02 so far. Yeah, I know technically I'm still going to be spending $$ but this is a way I can tell myself I honored my EA boycott. :p
Valheim is probably the best optimized EA title I've ever played. And considering it's now only a few months old, I think it's an exceptional purchase for $20.

I completely get the no EA thing, because frankly unless your a certain type of gamer that goes back and back and back to old titles its a terrible idea as a consumer. There are only so many outcomes of EA

1. it gets stuck in perpetual EA hell.

2. development goes in a poor direction and the game fails to deliver.

3. the game launches complete after 6m-3yrs+ and is actually good, but you played it already and even though it was incomplete your done with it and have moved on never to revisit the finished product (this is where most of my EA pile ends up).

4. the game is perpetually EA and its a good thing because it fits the game, dwarf fortress and Caves of Qud are two examples of this.

Reactions: maro
like this
so.. remember this game? lol

kinda weird to see such a smash hit just drop off the radar in like 3 weeks. it makes me wonder what i'd do if i released a game to early access that became a runaway hit and made me like 30 million dollars... would i keep working on it when i could just sail away to the cayman islands and never work again? i doubt it lol

kinda weird to see such a smash hit just drop off the radar in like 3 weeks. it makes me wonder what i'd do if i released a game to early access that became a runaway hit and made me like 30 million dollars... would i keep working on it when i could just sail away to the cayman islands and never work again? i doubt it lol

From dev update:

"Valheim was a labor of love and we didn’t decide on a release date before we knew it would be in a state we were happy to release it in, and we are doing the same for this update. Instead of rushing it, we want to let it take the time it needs to get in a state that we’re happy with. We know that you’re all very eager for the update to release (as are we) so we thank you so much for the patience you’re showing! We’re on an exciting journey, and we’re happy to be on it with you."

Not gonna lie. I'd cash in my integrity and retire with millions. If someone else wanted to take over, I'm sure there'd be willing and qualified people to take it over. I'd never work again.

Burn out and its still early access. Most have seen and done all that you can for now. I got about 50 hours out of it before I lost interest. I'll probably come back to it by the end of the year or next after a few major updates.

A little late to the party,,,this game never really seemed al that interesting to me. But then I got back in touch with an old friend and we were looking for games to play and tried Valheim. I can now see why everyone was so high on it. Still very early (only neat first boss so far) but man the game is so addicting. Always things to do. I feel so inadequate seeing some of these amazing bases being built and looking at our measly little houses but very much looking forward to learning the game and new techniques as we play.

Back