Valheim

Why not just build a teleport in the swamps(or nearby)? I know you can't port metals, but you could essentially save a lot of damage and time from not building up a whole other base again or sailing there. Maybe an additional workbench and forge too(for iron and repairs), and bed, but that's about it.
I did make one in the swamp, but I feel like it's cheating so I want to play without fast travel as much as possible. The only frustration with that is having to build forges everywhere for repairs.

For those who are looking for less grind, more options and customizations.... Valheim Plus mod may be it for you. You can also use it on your server.

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/4

ValheimPlus
A HarmonyX Mod aimed at improving the gameplay quality of Valheim. The mod includes several different main features including modifiers to ingame stats of players, buildings and entities and a sophisticated system to build and place objects with high precision and a system to modify already placed objects with high precision. The general goal is to provide V+ as a base modification for your gameplay to increase quality of life, change difficulty or have a better experience in general. The mod also comes with a version and configuration control system for servers and users, allowing servers to make sure that only people with the same configuration are able to join their servers.

Features
All of these features can be adjusted by a configuration file. This also allows you to only enable very specific featues.

Player
  • Modification of Stamina usage and regeneration
  • Modification of carry weight
  • Mofification of Food duration
  • Option to force all remove screen shake
  • Fermenter, Beehive, Kiln and Furnace
  • Modify Fermenter speed
  • Modify Fermenter output amount
  • Modify Beehive honey production speed
  • Modify Beehive maximum honey
  • Modify Furnace processing speed
  • Modify Furnace maximum coal/ore
  • Modify Kiln processing speed
  • Modify Kiln maximum wood

Items
  • Remove Item teleport prevention from all items
  • Reduce Item weight of all items by %
  • Modify maximum item stack size by %

Server
  • Remove Password requirement for server
  • Modify maximum Players on a server

Shared map system
Allows you to see the explored areas on the map of other players on the server if they have their position on the map shared ingame.
You currently only receive exploration when you are online.

Custom Keybinds
  • Hotkey options for fowards and backwards roll.

Building
  • Remove Building "Invalid Placement" restriction
  • Remove Building Object deterioration by weather.
  • Advanced Building Mode
  • Advanced Editing Mode

Once I realized how grindy this was, I kind of lost some interest. Something like the above mod might make me consider it again, but I mostly went back to playing MH: Iceborne.

I might have to give the game another shot what I was worried about is losing all progress.
They could wipe out the entire game and make everyone start over it's still in EA. Just goes to show accessibility small file size, low system requirements, and grinding is what people want.

Last edited:
Deathsquitos are the worst thing about this game lol.

A couple of nights ago, a buddy and I head out to take on the swamp boss. Unfortunately, he's a ways away and requires a ship to get there.

No big deal.

We build a karve ship, stock our inventory with food, good armor, weapons and tools.

Knowing that we've encountered the giant serpent in the water, we stick to the coastline just in case we have to unboard/ repair the ship if attacked by it.
This time, we didn't encounter it. Instead, we got attacked by the giant mosquitos. Bang, boom, dead. Within a second of the attack ,my friend dies. And I kill the mosquito.

Once I find a (from what I thought) safe area to dock at, the plan was to build a portal, bed and house real quick so he can get his stuff back and we'd be on our way. Nope.

Bam bam, mosquito attacks me out of the blue and we're both dead without our best gear.

Took us 2 nights to get our stuff back, and multiple times over.

Eventually, we got our stuff back, and trekked our way back to the swamp area where the boss is. He dies, and so do I. Rinse and repeat process to retrieving our stuff.

I've cursed the gods of Odin during this weekend, and now that I've got my stuff back, I'm back to the drawing table.

This game does a really good job at making you feel comfortable, and then as soon as your stretch your legs beyond that; you better be prepared for the unexpected.

From now on; any new boss or area we go to - the first plan of action is to lay down beds, portals(with one already up at base, to connect), and housing before anything else and to bring the required mead for resistances.

Oh, and screw those mosquitos.

Great game.

Gave in and bought this last night ... 2.5 hours in I was like, I guess I own it permanently now lol. Graphically I'd prefer it if the characters looked better but that is just an aesthetic thing. Gameplay wise I kind of got sucked into it and forgot about the time just like I kind of do with most survival games. Unfortunately the grind is real. It's non-stop resource gathering. That isn't necessarily bad, but it really starts go get old after you start building and keep running out of resources. Since I am just starting out the fights aren't difficult. The flint spear though feels wrong. It's range seems way too short when compared to a club. The bow is very good (usually a one shot kill with deer) though the draw speed is really slow. Overall I like it though grindy.

The problem with the spear is that it only attacks at one height and even if you aim the mouse up or down, it doesn't change the angle of attack. So what ends up happening is you try to attack a boar that is slightly lower than you on an incline, and it just misses over and over.

Later on you get better metal weaponry so it's not a huge deal, but still frustrating. Why not have it stab where you are pointing the thing?

The problem with the spear is that it only attacks at one height and even if you aim the mouse up or down, it doesn't change the angle of attack. So what ends up happening is you try to attack a boar that is slightly lower than you on an incline, and it just misses over and over.

Later on you get better metal weaponry so it's not a huge deal, but still frustrating. Why not have it stab where you are pointing the thing?
Post it in the suggestions forum! Would be a really cool feature. It's a problem with other weapons too, like chopping stumps with the axe.

Post it in the suggestions forum! Would be a really cool feature. It's a problem with other weapons too, like chopping stumps with the axe.
It looks like it had been mentioned, but I chimed in as well. Overall, the melee feels a bit wonky in the game, hopefully it can be tightened up a bit.

about to set up a in house dedicated server for my friends and I. we are loving it so far.

I have about 30 hours into this so far on a dedicated server I setup on a spare computer. The grind is huge but I enjoy the game overall so far. Running in and out of the forest to get ore can be a pain, carts and a fully upgraded pick axe helps but still you will have to do a lot of trips to get a full bronze loadout.

None of the other people I play with have really fallen in love with it yet though so I'm not sure how long I will keep going solo. I'm sure the grind will get to me eventually and it's more fun with friends.

I have about 30 hours into this so far on a dedicated server I setup on a spare computer. The grind is huge but I enjoy the game overall so far. Running in and out of the forest to get ore can be a pain, carts and a fully upgraded pick axe helps but still you will have to do a lot of trips to get a full bronze loadout.

None of the other people I play with have really fallen in love with it yet though so I'm not sure how long I will keep going solo. I'm sure the grind will get to me eventually and it's more fun with friends.
The next tier of material is far easier to farm. Just get enough to journey to the swamps (build a house nearby), and you'll never have to farm copper or tin again.

20210223100413_1.jpg

1614103611742.png

Made a base at the second bosses spawn point. Loving it since the floor is already indestructible concrete.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/3058478454614595939

Hello Valheimers!
Todays patch has some major changes, the biggest change is the updated socket backend which should improve connection issues for a lot of players. Vulkan support as been enabled in Windows builds and can be enabled for now by adding "-force-vulkan" as a launch option in Steam properties for Valheim. This might fix some random crashes related to GPU drivers. World corruption caused by loging out and and the same time pressing ALT+F4 has been fixed. Some balancing fixes was made on bosses to make them more challenging ( u guys are killing them too fast ).

NOTE: Due to changes in character save data, once a character has been loaded & saved in this new version, they can no longer be loaded in an older version of valheim.

* Crafting item-dupe bug fix
* Harpooned player & ship bug fix
* Fixed player ragdoll
* Bonemass,Moder,Yagluth difficulty tweaks
* Moder music updated
* Tombstone bugfix (probably wont fix disappearing tombstones though)
* Fixed world corruption caused by pressing ALT+F4 while logging out.
* Deathsquitos have slightly longer audio range
* Tweaked audio on blast-furnace & spinning wheel
* Shared map position setting is saved per world
* Updated network stats (F2)
* Building destruction drop-fix
* Vulkan support in windows builds
* Network disconnection bugfix
* Updated socket-backend

I've been poopooing this game as another boring survival grind game but ended up picking it up with some friends and started a dedicated server. It's been pretty awesome. Exploring and coming upon ruins and interesting areas is a lot of fun. I've actually been getting into base building when I normally hate that in these types of games.

This is the first permanent settlement we started; built into a huge copper vein. This is an early pic; it's since been built out with a moat, and an archer tower with a ramp that requires a jump to enter and exit the settlement. You can't dig very far down; hopefully that gets expanded as I was wanting to dig out tunnels for a dwarven-style underground city.

892970_screenshots_20210224200638_1.jpg

Played it about six hours, rage quit after dying to the same giant ogre twice, and uninstalled. I didn't like it from the beginning, but decided to give it a good try because I kept hearing how great it was. I was playing with a group of 4-5 guys through about 4 online gaming sessions.

I have WAY better things to do in my gaming time than get one hit smashed by giant ogres, spending half my gaming time running to get my body, and the other half of my gaming time gathering berries one berry per bush, hunting deer for minutes on end to get that next tier leather hat, and clicking my mouse button over and over on rocks and trees to mine/log, and being endlessly chased by greyling hoards that just won't stop.

The inventory is soo bad it's 25 year old Diablo level.
There is no quick travel, and no shared loot stashes.

Games have progressed since this type of gameplay was okay (if it ever was)

NO THANKS - uninstalled and never plan to play again.

Literally cannot fathom how this game is this popular!?!

Played it about six hours, rage quit after dying to the same giant ogre twice, and uninstalled. I didn't like it from the beginning, but decided to give it a good try because I kept hearing how great it was. I was playing with a group of 4-5 guys through about 4 online gaming sessions.

I have WAY better things to do in my gaming time than get one hit smashed by giant ogres, spending half my gaming time running to get my body, and the other half of my gaming time gathering berries one berry per bush, hunting deer for minutes on end to get that next tier leather hat, and clicking my mouse button over and over on rocks and trees to mine/log, and being endlessly chased by greyling hoards that just won't stop.

I don't mind this type of game it's an actual MMO like Everquest. This isn't that though.

Dude. It's a gigantic troll. And seriously one of the easiest enemies in the game once you have a bow.

Make a bow and about 30 to 40 arrows.
Shoot him from a distance when he doesn't notice you're there and youll get a 2 or 3x damage multiplier. Aim for his head, kite him through trees and shoot him. You can roll dodge his attacks too (block, aim and jump together).

Once you kill him, he'll drop troll hide. Which can be made into very decent beginner armor.

The trolls are laughable difficulty once you've killed them once or twice.

I've killed probably 40 to 50 by now and haven't been hit by him since the first 1 or 2. He's that easy.

Shoot, kite, shoot, kite. Done

Ogres are meant to be hard to kill for new players.

Running to your body isn't much fun but that's why you're supposed to be careful when far away from your bed. When my group is 10 miles from the nearest bed and we're worried about dying we'll make a workbench and a basic camp which only takes 5 minutes. Resource collection can be excessive but it's not too bad IMO. Our settlement WAS in a forest; now the surrounding area is pretty barren. It makes it a bit further of a run but with a cart you can haul a good amount of resources per trip.

The inventory could be definitely be better. I hope they add 'compress' and stack buttons.

There is quick travel; they're called portals and you make them with the purple gems (Surture Cores?) that are found in dungeons. There are shared loot stashes; our main house has a wall of chests that we all dump our resources into to be used by everyone.

Are these the bluish looking things? Scared the hell outta me. Crouching down, hunting deer, being quiet, turn around,

HI. I'VE BEEN TRYING TO REACH YOU ABOUT YOUR EXTENDED WARRANTY ON YOUR VEHICLE

Did someone say earlier there are no open servers?

Just a note on why they're locked. At least in my opinion.

Your character progression moves with you to whatever server (single player or mp) that you join.

One could essentially put on some cheats in single player, spawn high gear items at their will, max out their progression and join whatever server as an OP player.

The devs give you the reigns to play fairly or at your will, however you please. This is a good and bad thing imo. Depending on what you want to do and how you and where you play.

Makes sense.

I'm playing the game solo as well and enjoying it. However, would be nice to have see some other players.

One of the best (or the best) survival game out there, +4 millions copies sold and 96% positive reviews on Steam.

The gameplay is really fun and replayability is good (unique procedural maps to explore). I guess with all the money they've made they'll push many content updates in the near future.

One of the best (or the best) survival game out there, +4 millions copies sold and 96% positive reviews on Steam.

The gameplay is really fun and replayability is good (unique procedural maps to explore). I guess with all the money they've made they'll push many content updates in the near future.

I wonder at what point they'll expand their team of 5 to keep up with the community?

Yeah. First boss for me was super easy. Second boss was somewhat easy. Third boss was ridiculous.

The progression needed in order to kill third boss (without cheats) was insane compared to the first two.

Plenty of mead, high quality foods, armor and weapons (the right kind too), and portals/beds near by just in case of death.

We ended up pulling bonemass all the way over to next biome(plains) in order to have enough room to kill him.

That poison is no joke without the poison resist mead.

I'm tempted but a very casual player of things like this so holding off for now. Most of my friends are playing but they are crapping 6 to 8 hours into it a night O_O Sounds like burnout in a month lol.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/3058478454632856786

Good day Valheimers!
Todays patch has some huge changes to dedicated servers. Dedicated servers now always use direct connections instead of using Steam Datagram Relay (SDR). This should result in much lower latency for most players. Private dedicated servers are enabled by adding "-public 0" to the server command line (See server manual PDF). You can only connect to private dedicated servers using the "Join IP"-button. I really hope this patch solves a lot of connection issues introduced in last weeks patches ( due to switching socket backend ). In addition to these dedicated-server fixes valve are also working on fixes to the SDR system (used when connecting to non-dedicated servers) and i believe there is already a beta-steam-client available that fixes some of these issues. Thanks everyone!!

* Localization updates
* Made Haldor head-turn smoother
* Object network interpolation is skipped if object was far away, solved issue with network players flying through the air when entering dungeons & exiting portals etc
* Added -public 1/0 flag to dedicated server again, Allows players to host local lan only servers
* Join IP-button updated to allow for lan-connections (dedicated servers only) & added DNS support
* Dedicated servers use directIP connection instead of SDR, solves issues with slow steam relays in some areas of the world
* Bonemass puke-effect network fix
* Updated Dedicated-server PDF manual
* Prevent pickup items when entering portals
* Lowered wolf procreation slightly
* Lowered chance of boss trophy talking

Back