Vaio To Merge With Toshiba And Fujitsu Creating A PC 'Giant'

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know how the Japanese like to combine smaller things into one large super powered thing? That's what is happening here. I guess that means Vaio merging with Toshiba and Fujitsu will make them the Voltron of the PC industry.

Vaio expects to strike an agreement to combine with Toshiba Corp.’s and Fujitsu Ltd.’s PC divisions by the end of March, said Hidemi Moue, chief executive officer of Japan Industrial Partners Inc., the buyout fund that now controls the former arm of Sony. Vaio expects to own the biggest stake in the merged company, which can help the trio save on research and development and scale production, he said.

IMHO customer service is what is going to make them or break them... and that typically suffers when you merge multiple companies together.

I was just reminiscing about Voltron to my younger co-workers last week.

Toshiba laptops often had Hitachi or Fujitsu hard drives, very often Fujitsu, around mid 2000s.

And yes, the cheap stuff is rubbish, but the higher end Toshiba stuff is usually okay to very good. Just stay away from the big, plastic Porteges, was what us techs used to say back then.. big, hot, flexible is always a recipe for disaster. In these days of lead free solder, super high temp VRMs etc, mechanical strength of chassis is almost always the most important factor of a laptop, if it's actually used as a portable, if all else is equal.

Fujitsu was pretty good back in the day... my first tablet was a fujitsu... P1 233mhz with a TFT touch screen!

All your crap combined! I Am Captain Colon-Blow!

Okay, Vaio devices were somewhat sexy, but generally poorly engineered, not to mention proprietary as hell.
Toshi(t)ba devices tend to break if you look at them too hard, and their customer service is actively customer-hostile.
And Fujitsu, has ANYTHING worthwhile come out of Fujitsu in the last 20 years?

So they all get together and product a bunch of sexy looking shit which doesn't interoperate with ANYTHING else that they'll refuse to service when it inevitably breaks (about 30 seconds after opening the package)?

What sort of idiot would you have to be to buy from these asshats?

Back