V2400W vs G2400W vs G2400WD

JayteeBates

[H]ard|Poof
I have had a Viewsonic VP171s for several years now and before that I had another Viewsonic 17" panel. I've been very excited over the news of the Benq's on the forums here and am quite impressed with the reviews on them. To give you an idea what I am looking for my requirements for a new LCD are:

Size: 20+ inches
Scaling 1:1 option (I cannot stand stretched images)
Low input lag
As little ghosting as possible

I sit at the desk the monitor will sit on which means at most my eye will be 5 feet from the front of the monitor.

I play PC games - currently Mass Effect, but also the COD series and FPS's like HL/HL2/Quake

I will not be watching DVD/HD Movies on this monitor

I will not be doing anything remotely artistic on my system (Photo editing etc).

I am an IT guy and I tend to do a lot of text based work with command line type applications and a good bit of web research/viewing. So text readability is a big thing for me.

My options so far from my review of the board the last few days...Benq V2400W, G2400W, G2400WD

The V2400W seems like it would be great but that off center stand...I don't know that I could deal with that. It bugs me in the photos and I think it would just bother me worse on my desk. So I read the G2400W and G2400WD reviews on the forums.

I am leaning toward the G2400W as it is a tad cheaper on the Benq store at the moment and I really don't see what all the G2400WD would be better at given my requirements.

So I guess what I am really looking for is confirmation that I'm not missing out on something really great and that the G2400W would be a good monitor for my needs.

I recently went with the G2400WD and I am very happy with it. I'm currently playing crysis on pc over dvi at 1920x1200 at high detail settings, and ninja gaiden 2 on 360 over hdmi at 1080p. Both look amazing. I didn't even have to calibrate the colors. 1:1 aspect option (which I use) and I haven't noticed any input lag or ghosting.

I am a code monkey and although I haven't done any programming using this monitor yet, I think it will work out well for that too. The screen is matte and text is very sharp. It's a TN panel so the viewing angles aren't great, but I only ever watch the monitor either dead on or a little off the horizontal.

Minimal backlight bleeding so far (had the monitor for almost 2 weeks).

I was in the same boat as you, trying to decide between the G2400W, V2400W, and G2400WD. The G2400W is at the end of its life cycle, so I decided to go with a newer monitor. I have a balance problem where everything looks crooked to me (yes, I know, extremely weird) so the asymettrical look of the V2400W would have annoyed me to no end. Plus, I don't want my monitor to look flashy... the only thing I want to notice when viewing my monitor is the screen. The entire front of the G2400WD is black and not shiny (except for a small shiny benq sticker in the lower-left corner, but I never notice it). The only led light that can be seen is in the bottom center for the power button, which I cover up at night when watching movies.

Another benefit of the G2400WD is that it supports vesa mounting (unlike the V2400W which can't be removed from its stand). This is good because all three of the monitors you're looking at only have tilt capabilities. I spent $35 on a neo-flex stand and now can tilt + adjust height. It also supports pivot, but the stand was designed for max 22" screens, so my 24" is too big to turn all the way. Still nice to be able to adjust the pivot a little bit if necessary. The replacement stand was well worth the money.

If you didn't notice, I highly recommend the G2400WD. I ordered it from benq.com for $399 - %10 coupon (thankyou10) + $50 2 day shipping = $410. If you use regular shipping, it would cost you like $390 after the coupon.

I had been using a Viewsonic 19" CRT monitor, that sucker was heavy, about 50lbs and just got tired of my computer being bored as I am rual SLI 8800gt's. Spent a couple months looking and finally settled on the G2400WD, liked it so much that I bought a second one so I am running 2 of them on my computer.

Cannot comment on the VGA or HDMI input yet but gaming on this is on par with my CRT. I am playing CoD4 and Team Fortress 2 as well as BioShock, no complaints at all from any of those games. Blacks do look black, able to read [H] with no problems as the text is very sharp with no bleed over. Mine came with one stuck pixel but I was able to massage it out so now a perfect looking monitor. I also bought the Neo-Flex stands and they are well worth the money, buy them from Buy.com, they have a 5% off coupon and if you are willing to wait a week or so you can even have free shipping.

I'd recommend a V2400W. I'm actually expecting mine within the hour. @ $409 (before s/h) it's a STEAL. Image is more important to me than the "actual image" as odd as that sounds. Very few will be able to tell the difference btwn the WD vs. the V series's performance but I'm sure you'd get the most comments on the styling of the V (mostly good, but a few bad). I prefer a more polarizing display anyways. It will attract moar girls into my room lulz.

I have an eVGA 8800 GTS (640MB) that should not have a problem with the G2400WD monitor I would assume.

Is the packaging for the G2400WD better than what has been indicated for the V2400? The V series one sounds like horrendous packaging. If the G2400WD has good packaging I am not afraid to use Ebay.

Is the packaging for the G2400WD better than what has been indicated for the V2400? The V series one sounds like horrendous packaging. If the G2400WD has good packaging I am not afraid to use Ebay.

I don't know the packaging for the V2400W, but the packaging for the G2400WD is substandard in my opinion. The box is pretty much the exact size/shape of the screen, so any significant damage to the box would also damage the monitor. When I received mine there were some smalldents on the outside of the box including one over the center of the screen, but luckily the box wasn't hit hard enough for the dent to pertrude to the inside.

I just purchased the V2400 and the packaging was good. If you look at the reviews from forum members you will see how the packaging is. The retail box is actually packaged inside a bigger box with peanuts.

I just purchased the V2400 and the packaging was good. If you look at the reviews from forum members you will see how the packaging is. The retail box is actually packaged inside a bigger box with peanuts.

As a comparison, there are no peanuts or innerbox with the G2400WD packaging. You open up the box and just slide out the monitor wedged between two pieces of styrofoam. Unlike the V2400W, the stand for the G2400WD is changeable and does not come attached, so the box is much thinner.

I would get the V2400 but that off center stand would just not work for me. For some reason it not being centered would drive me nuts.

The packaging on the V2400W is quite good. It is just a bit smaller than the old big bad packaging of the FP241W.

The packaging on the G2400W is PATHETIC. It is half the size of the V2400W's. I believe someone here posted their packaging of the G2400WD and it is BAD as well.

If you order from anyone make sure they repack it into a larger shell box. One user here had his arrive with a hole in the side of the box, and a hole in the side of the monitor.

Regards,

10e

Just ordered the Benq G2400WD from buy.com for $384.48 with 2 business day shipping (I splurged...it was a whole extra dollar to get 2nd day vs standard shipping which was included). Thanks for all the information...great forum very informative! Thanks 10e for the great reviews!

Newegg has a $40.00 promo code for the G2400WD - EMCAGCGBG - bringing the total to $359.99 with free shipping as well.

I saw that about 2 hours after I bought it =(

I've bought from Buy.com before though...I got a Sony CDP-220GS back a long time ago and had a good experience with them so not gonna cancel this order.

Alright, I've ordered from both places and I really have no preference either. They're both dependable. Hope you enjoy the monitor.

Speaking of stands...do you guys have any recommendations for a good one for the Benq G2400WD?

Preferrably from newegg.

Ah, true true. You'll probably get it just as quickly. Newegg ships fast (typically).

Speaking of stands...do you guys have any recommendations for a good one for the Benq G2400WD?

Preferrably from newegg.

I bought this one for my G2400WD:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824994001

I bought it from buy.com though cause it was a little cheaper. This stand provides tilt, height, and pivot adjustments. But since it is only rated for a 22" screen, you won't be able to pivot all the way vertical. Still, it's a lot cheaper than the other ergotron stands and it gets the job done.

I ordered this thing from Newegg on Thursday at 3 CST and it is still on step 1!...I even paid the extra 2 bucks for rush processing. What the frack.

I got the G2400w recently and I have to say I'm very satisfyed with it. 1:1 pixel mapping works perfectly which was something I was concerned about (seriously a distorted image is not worth watching). heres a pic with it hooked up to my xbox.

photodu1.jpg

as you can see in the picture it has the black bars above and below the image just as it should (cause the monitor is 16:10 but the 1080p source is 16:9).

I use it for gaming all the time and I don't notice and input lag. Ideally this would have more inputs but hey for those of us within the confines of a budget HDMI, DVI, and VGA isn't bad.

I have G2400W and I can recommend it.

Some people may find the V2400W look cool but honestly. After 3 hours the assymetrical stuff will disturb you to death,

I bought this one for my G2400WD:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824994001

I bought it from buy.com though cause it was a little cheaper. This stand provides tilt, height, and pivot adjustments. But since it is only rated for a 22" screen, you won't be able to pivot all the way vertical. Still, it's a lot cheaper than the other ergotron stands and it gets the job done.
Can you flip the stand upside down to mount it? I want to hang the monitor from the top of my desk.

Can you flip the stand upside down to mount it? I want to hang the monitor from the top of my desk.

I think you could physically attach the stand to the back of the monitor upside down, but the base of the stand does not look screw-friendly. You might be able to do what you want with a wall mountable stand and screwing the wall-mount part into the ceiling of the top of your desk. Or depending on your desk, maybe you could get an lcd arm with a clamp. I have no experience with this so I can't recommend anything.

I think you could physically attach the stand to the back of the monitor upside down, but the base of the stand does not look screw-friendly. You might be able to do what you want with a wall mountable stand and screwing the wall-mount part into the ceiling of the top of your desk. Or depending on your desk, maybe you could get an lcd arm with a clamp. I have no experience with this so I can't recommend anything.
I'm a fabricator, if the bracket will fit the monitor upside down, that's all I need to know. :)

Mariokarter, is that as bright as the BenQ goes? That is some really dim looking monitor in the pic. Hopefully it is your bad cam or your preference. I am saying this because I am about to pick up the BenQ G2400WD.

It's plenty bright. It might not be as bright as the lightbulb like Samsung LCD's but I found the factory brightness level to be perfect.

Haha yeah in the pic you can't even see the contrast between the bars and the bezel. Don't worry its just a crappy iPhone picture.

Back