Utterly EPYC Workstation

lsudvm

n00b
I have a built an EPYC Based workstation. This is only the 3rd AMD Rig i have ever built. Idea was Non Intel Non Nvidia Build. I don't game - just video editing, photoshop mainly. Typically use Dual Xeon for my video editing workstations and have been editing for the last 3 years on dual Haswell 2696 V3s QS. Thought I would share the Cinebench and CPU Mark Scores in case anyone's interested for datapoints. If anyone has questions about the build or anything let me. Biggest trouble was getting the drivers for the RX 580 installed.

Current Config:
EPYC 7742 ES/OEM Chip - From STH
H11SSL- From Amazon.
128GB DDR4 3200 RDIMMs - Ebay
1TB Force MP600 Boot drive - Newegg
SK Hynix 960GB SSD for storage - Had this for awhile, From Ebay
LG WH14NS40 - Had this for a while
Cosmos II Case - From FB Marketplace, Used
Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 with Black Chromax Fan - Amazon
FSP Aurum PT 12OO Watt PSU - Open Box from Ebay from the FSP Store
MSI RX 580 From Newegg
EDIT: Monitor is an LG Ultrawide Curved 88 Something i think - Used from FB Marketplace

DMMHBPL%26groupShareToken%3DQlg7PCFiT1itlJnmbhriew.jpg

DMMHBPL%26groupShareToken%3DbaMKr7pHS0SkA36NTxLnzQ.jpg

Gooseberry Render:
EXX9DMMHBPL&groupShareToken=gfLBaTceSBmx7atSsRLURw.jpg

For comparison Gooseberry on Dual 2696 V3s with 64 GB Ram. Ryzen 3950 does it in about 10 Min from what i saw on Youtube.
EXX9DMMHBPL&groupShareToken=cXvaPzgFS7ONT4sgT7uuJA.jpg

Last edited:
I'm jealous. Nice build. RX 580 curious choice though.
Why do you say that? I don't game. And i specifically avoided Nvidia for this build, on purpose. I did consider a Radeon Pro 5500 but didn't think it was worth it.

I updated the original post to reflect where i source components in case anyone is interested in a similar build.

Why do you say that? I don't game. And i specifically avoided Nvidia for this build, on purpose. I did consider a Radeon Pro 5500 but didn't think it was worth it.
Oh, I just meant I was thinking a 560 or if you wanted 8gb a 570 would have been cheaper. I wasn't meaning why AMD. I was thinking the 5500 xt might be a good choice since it's a bit more efficient, but costs more and is slower, so kind of a toss up. Just a curious choice, didn't mean it as a bad thing, was wondering if there was something in particular that made you choose it.

Oh, I just meant I was thinking a 560 or if you wanted 8gb a 570 would have been cheaper. I wasn't meaning why AMD. I was thinking the 5500 xt might be a good choice since it's a bit more efficient, but costs more and is slower, so kind of a toss up. Just a curious choice, didn't mean it as a bad thing, was wondering if there was something in particular that made you choose it.
The price i grabbed it on sale from newegg. It was $15 off at the time. It was the best ban for the buck i could find at the time.
Here's the card:
https://www.newegg.com/msi-radeon-rx-580-rx-580-8gt-oc/p/N82E16814137479?Item=N82E16814137479

So the CPU Is an OEM CPU and AMD puts ES in the processor name for anything that is non-retail. Unlike Retail it can be OC'd but otherwise identical to Retail. Hence way cheaper than retail. I never would have gone EPYC if it had been retail pricing. The other option I Was considering was dual 8260s/70s QS. I'll run Gooseberry and see what the CPU Does and i can post back.

Last edited:
$3K for this system is really good for the performance you get. Compare to the 3990X which has the same 64C/128T count and is over $3400 by itself and gets 24K in Cinebench20 which makes it only 14% faster. Nice job.

$3K for this system is really good for the performance you get. Compare to the 3990X which has the same 64C/128T count and is over $3400 by itself and gets 24K in Cinebench20 which makes it only 14% faster. Nice job.

A 3990x can overclock like crazy though, its not hard to run a 4.3ghz overclock which will net over 33K in R20. Granted this is pretty darn cheap at $3K and I'm guessing a one off situation?

A 3990x can overclock like crazy though, its not hard to run a 4.3ghz overclock which will net over 33K in R20. Granted this is pretty darn cheap at $3K and I'm guessing a one off situation?
At the the the time there were 5 or 6 of these available. Now all sold.

The price i grabbed it on sale from newegg. It was $15 off at the time. It was the best ban for the buck i could find at the time.
Here's the card:
https://www.newegg.com/msi-radeon-rx-580-rx-580-8gt-oc/p/N82E16814137479?Item=N82E16814137479
Nice, I figured you probably got a good deal on it or something. I just figured if you didn't need a top end GPU there where plenty of cheap options. Didn't know if there was any specific reason or it was just what you found for a decent price.

The biggest Headache was getting the RX 580 Drivers installed. I had to keep one screen connected to the onboard VGA and then the LG Connected to the RX580 at which i point i could see W10 had installed its own drivers for the 580. Then ran AMD Installer to get the most up to date drivers. Then had to set the LG to be primary so it works as the boot screen. Even now with the VGA screen disconnected it still thinks there are 2 screens

Done some RandomX mining on it?

Curious about the perf/watt given the reduced clocks.

No i don't mine. But for comparison i can provide data from some other folks. From STH.
EPYC 7702 Cinebench - 19589
Dual XEON Platinum 8136 - 14525
43000 H/sec Monero on EPYC 7702
21000 H/sec on dual 8136

With all the CPU horsepower, you can try to volunteer (it's up to you) helping out COVID-19 research when your system is idle, for example ;)

BTW, what's the power off the wall at stock running cinebench20?

Wow thats nice...........I just built an AMD system yesterday too, needed a server for the house. I had a single core sempron that I unlocked into a dual core athlon, was feeling pretty good about it too until....well......here we are :/

:D

What software are you using for editing? Figured you'd use something that could support GPU offloading and go for a Radeon VII or V64 or similar. Awesome rig none the less and very interesting info about the cheap Epyc, quite a score both literally and monetarily!

Back